Wisconsin and the West

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Wisconsin and the West

Post by Merkin »

Katzenfreund wrote:Well, they think that we're not that good and that they'll beat us.
It's all how you play that day. Sean Miller can't get it done. Arizona's defense is amazing and they have a lot of height, but that same amazing team lost of Oregon State and UNLV on the road. UA has not lost at home, but they're not at home. It may be Pac 12 country, but it's not Tuscon.

How did UNLV win? Poor shooting, out-rebounded them, second chance points, clogging the lanes to take the charges, foul trouble, and poor FT shooting. UNLV also has good length.
How did Oregon State win? Poor shooting & turnovers.

The coaches know the recipe to get it done, but it's all dependent on how the kids play that day. No doubt Arizona is a good team, but they're not all they're hyped up to be. They're big, they're athletic, they play good defense (they held the Beavers to 34 points in the rematch), but they don't block very much.
Tell that to Michigan State and Kansas State! No one thought we could beat them two traditional basketball powers at their home court. Trust me, Arizona could never beat MSU in Lansing.

Need to find this Tuscon place they keep talking about.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:So how do jinxes work if both fan bases look ahead? Does the Jinx Committee use the eye test?
:lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wisky is good enough to beat us if we aren't having an off game. No one else in our region is.
Baylor is good enough to beat Arizona on a neutral court on a given day. It wouldn't be the biggest upset in recent memory. None of this year's 2-seeds are safe against their 3-seeds. We talk about how good the 2-seeds are this year in particular, but the same goes for all four of the 3-seeds. Baylor will be a tough out. To disagree with Salim while stealing his own phrase, that game could be one anus-puckering dogfight that Arizona has to win by fighting its way into the paint and sticking like glue to their man on the perimeter to prevent the shot (rather than trying to close in on shooters in the act).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Obama went straight chalk on his Final Four picks . . . . . . except for Arizona.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Obama went straight chalk on his Final Four picks . . . . . . except for Arizona.
http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-cha ... ID=6674346
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wisky is good enough to beat us if we aren't having an off game. No one else in our region is.
Baylor is good enough to beat Arizona on a neutral court on a given day. It wouldn't be the biggest upset in recent memory. None of this year's 2-seeds are safe against their 3-seeds. We talk about how good the 2-seeds are this year in particular, but the same goes for all four of the 3-seeds. Baylor will be a tough out. To disagree with Salim while stealing his own phrase, that game could be one anus-puckering dogfight that Arizona has to win by fighting its way into the paint and sticking like glue to their man on the perimeter to prevent the shot (rather than trying to close in on shooters in the act).
I'm not saying Baylor can't beat us, just that if we play a good game, they can't. Baylor needs us to play an average or poor game, Wisky can beat us if we play a good game and they play a really good game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:Obama went straight chalk on his Final Four picks . . . . . . except for Arizona.
Obama's bracket looks like a woman's. So vanilla.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

rgdeuce wrote:
azgreg wrote:
He doesn't follow college basketball, but his bracket does reflect the popular perception that Arizona is scary good for a 2-seed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Picking underdogs in previous years hasn't worked out for him either.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
azgreg wrote:
He doesn't follow college basketball, but his bracket does reflect the popular perception that Arizona is scary good for a 2-seed.
It's a pick against Scott Walker.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Katzenfreund wrote:Well, they think that we're not that good and that they'll beat us.
It's all how you play that day. Sean Miller can't get it done. Arizona's defense is amazing and they have a lot of height, but that same amazing team lost of Oregon State and UNLV on the road. UA has not lost at home, but they're not at home. It may be Pac 12 country, but it's not Tuscon.

How did UNLV win? Poor shooting, out-rebounded them, second chance points, clogging the lanes to take the charges, foul trouble, and poor FT shooting. UNLV also has good length.

The coaches know the recipe to get it done, but it's all dependent on how the kids play that day. No doubt Arizona is a good team, but they're not all they're hyped up to be. They're big, they're athletic, they play good defense (they held the Beavers to 34 points in the rematch), but they don't block very much.
Tell that to Michigan State and Kansas State! No one thought we could beat them two traditional basketball powers at their home court. Trust me, Arizona could never beat MSU in Lansing.
R

Uh, what team's board is that from? If it isn't Wisconsin, I'll have some of whatever they're smoking.

One of the great fallacies is that there's a blueprint to beat a team because someone did. Most all teams lose, and it's usually because they got outplayed in some facet of the game. If everything went peachy @ UNLV, OSU and ASU, we wouldn't have lost those games. We crushed a number of other teams with that profile.

Wisky is good enough to beat us if we aren't having an off game. No one else in our region is.
Right, but some fan will always post, "they got exposed!" Then that same team will run off a winning streak.

You play like crap, you lose. There's the expose (with the accent).
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Thanks, Jan Brewer! All the candidates will pick the Iowa teams to go far.

Here's Jeb's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/18/upsho ... 0002&abg=0
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

R

Uh, what team's board is that from? If it isn't Wisconsin, I'll have some of whatever they're smoking.

One of the great fallacies is that there's a blueprint to beat a team because someone did. Most all teams lose, and it's usually because they got outplayed in some facet of the game. If everything went peachy @ UNLV, OSU and ASU, we wouldn't have lost those games. We crushed a number of other teams with that profile.

Wisky is good enough to beat us if we aren't having an off game. No one else in our region is.
Right, but some fan will always post, "they got exposed!" Then that same team will run off a winning streak.

You play like crap, you lose. There's the expose (with the accent).
Yeah, when you consider the 1996 Bulls got exposed 10 times, it's a miracle they won the championship. After all, if you stopped Michael Jordan and made all your shots, they really struggled. The blueprint was pretty simple.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Guess we don't need to worry about Wisconsin:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ ... O#image=11

10 Upsets That Will Happen In The 2015 NCAA Tournament

1. NO. 15 TEXAS SOUTHERN OVER NO. 2 ARIZONA
Look out! There will be a No. 15 beating a No. 2 once again. Texas Southern has already slain the Michigan State Spartans and the Kansas State Wildcats, and they've done so on the road. Believe the unbelievable, and expect the Texas Southern Tigers to best the Arizona Wildcats in dramatic upset fashion this Thursday.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

At least now I don't have to set my DVR and I can just move on with my life...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bulletin bored material.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

So the recipe to beat Arizona is to hope they shoot poor from the field and from the stripe? Yeah, okay. Can't argue that.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You forgot making more points than we do. That is always the most underrated strategy, and it works almost all the time.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

"So you're telling me there's a chance?"

if arizona has a piss poor outing like the 3 losses . . . Yes there is a chance.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well I guess I don't have to worry about Baylor
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well I guess I don't have to worry about Baylor
LOL, who is up next for you to freak out about for no discernible reason?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat34 wrote:
There was a very valid reason to worry about Baylor. Beyond extremely valid reason. But now we don't.

threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
There was a very valid reason to worry about Baylor. Beyond extremely valid reason. But now we don't.
Thank god I'm not you. I bet you can find a way to hate a blowjob.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Your posts makes no sense. Why would I hate us getting an easier road with our toughest obstacle to the elite 8 removed? You people and you nonexistent reading skills...

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Merkin wrote:Guess we don't need to worry about Wisconsin:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ ... O#image=11

10 Upsets That Will Happen In The 2015 NCAA Tournament

1. NO. 15 TEXAS SOUTHERN OVER NO. 2 ARIZONA
Look out! There will be a No. 15 beating a No. 2 once again. Texas Southern has already slain the Michigan State Spartans and the Kansas State Wildcats, and they've done so on the road. Believe the unbelievable, and expect the Texas Southern Tigers to best the Arizona Wildcats in dramatic upset fashion this Thursday.
21 point win. Great call.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

1 game at a time
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
I don't know about that. They play a zone. Did UNLV and ASU play a zone? I know OSU did. We crushed them the second time around. We've gotten better and better against zones. That's not a weakness as much as some think.

And offensive rebounding? We are the best defensive rebounding team in at least 18 years. We take their greatest strength and minimize it. Just because you were wary doesn't mean there was a valid reason. No one else was freaking about a team that lost its first round matchup. That should tell you something.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Watching this game, I think we clearly want to play OSU. Russell is overrated. VCU plays really quick. I think we win but they would be the tougher opponent.
threenumberones

Watching this game - OSU or VCU, don't even give a crap. We are going to beat either by double digits. Respect Shaka more but it doesn't even matter.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
I have posted this at least 4 times but: Scott Drew.

That invalidates any reasoning you have. Scott Drew.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

thenewazcats wrote:Watching this game, I think we clearly want to play OSU. Russell is overrated. VCU plays really quick. I think we win but they would be the tougher opponent.
Come on man, Russell is not overrated
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

rgdeuce wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:Watching this game, I think we clearly want to play OSU. Russell is overrated. VCU plays really quick. I think we win but they would be the tougher opponent.
Come on man, Russell is not overrated
He's fun to watch.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We got answers for Russell, not worried about OSU
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:We got answers for Russell, not worried about OSU
Not overrated.

Also not unstoppable.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Russell is a good player, but we set up perfectly to stop him.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:Insanely tough road. Just brutal
Georgia State must not have gotten the memo; they clearly were not as petrified as you were of they offensive rebounding, zone defense running juggernaut from Waco. Who lost their 10th game of the season today after coming from a conference that was clearly overrated...

So we have Ohio State, and then (God willing) Georgia State or Xavier. Not exactly my definition of "brutal". We get that far and Wiscy is tough, but not any more so than 2-3 other teams.

We could lose any game, but this bracket set up well for us from the start... And even better now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What does my opinion of 4 days have to do with a Georgia state team I've never met? Talk about strange tangents.

gumby

Post by gumby »

It means it wasn't "insanely brutal " to begin with.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona should beat the shit out of Ohio State
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Insanely tough road. Just brutal
Georgia State must not have gotten the memo; they clearly were not as petrified as you were of they offensive rebounding, zone defense running juggernaut from Waco. Who lost their 10th game of the season today after coming from a conference that was clearly overrated...

So we have Ohio State, and then (God willing) Georgia State or Xavier. Not exactly my definition of "brutal". We get that far and Wiscy is tough, but not any more so than 2-3 other teams.

We could lose any game, but this bracket set up well for us from the start... And even better now.
I had Georgia St.
threenumberones

97cats wrote:Arizona should beat the shit out of Ohio State
Yes
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My major area of concern is how utterly confident I feel vs OSU.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

threenumberones wrote:
Yes
Some asshole somewhere disagrees.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

AZ is 8 pt favorite.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

84Cat wrote:AZ is 8 pt favorite.
8 is interesting
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

We'll sick Rondae and even Stanley sometimes on Russell and make this game a living hell for him. F OSU, paybacks coming for that bs a few years ago...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

WildHolcs wrote:We'll sick Rondae and even Stanley sometimes on Russell and make this game a living hell for him. F OSU, paybacks coming for that bs a few years ago...
My guess is that Rondae only sits when Russell sits. If Russel plays 40 minutes, so does Rondae.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Longhorned wrote:
WildHolcs wrote:We'll sick Rondae and even Stanley sometimes on Russell and make this game a living hell for him. F OSU, paybacks coming for that bs a few years ago...
My guess is that Rondae only sits when Russell sits. If Russel plays 40 minutes, so does Rondae.

Yup, I agree. Nice knowing tho if rondae picks up a few quick bs fouls we can put stan on him. Either way, he's going to have to WORK for his pts - more than he has all year
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
TJ can shoulder some of the load too. Having a fresh guy now and again has its benefits.