Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EVCat

Re: Wisconsin and the West

Post by EVCat »

SCCats wrote:
84Cat wrote:AZ is 8 pt favorite.
8 is interesting
Already chased to 9 and 9.5.

I would have rather played VCU minus a starter (they are not a 7 seed level team right now), but OSU is a great matchup scenario for us as long as we can keep Rondae on the floor. He is like a cover corner in football...he just puts an end to an entire option. We need to choke Russell and make someone else carry the load, and we definitely have the ability to do so. I am much more fearful of balance than I am a team with a clear superstar and supporting cast considering just how tough and versatile we are on defense. We can make Russell's life miserable.

Baylor losing is a fantastic scenario for us if we do what we need to do Saturday. Teams that play zone as a primary defense will always cause some concern...until we show a consistent ability to destroy the zone. And, well...3 seed is going to be a better team than a 6+ seed. So of course we should all be happy Baylor is coached by Scott Drew and completely crapped the bed of their hourly rate room at the dance. But it doesn't really matter if we play to capability. We should win our next two games, even with average efforts.

Step one is complete. Keep checking the boxes, one at a time....
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

EVCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:
8 is interesting

I would have rather played VCU minus a starter (they are not a 7 seed level team right now), but OSU is a great matchup scenario for us as long as we can keep Rondae on the floor. He is like a cover corner in football...he just puts an end to an entire option. We need to choke Russell and make someone else carry the load, and we definitely have the ability to do so. I am much more fearful of balance than I am a team with a clear superstar and supporting cast considering just how tough and versatile we are on defense. We can make Russell's life miserable.

Baylor losing is a fantastic scenario for us if we do what we need to do Saturday. Teams that play zone as a primary defense will always cause some concern...until we show a consistent ability to destroy the zone. And, well...3 seed is going to be a better team than a 6+ seed. So of course we should all be happy Baylor is coached by Scott Drew and completely crapped the bed of their hourly rate room at the dance. But it doesn't really matter if we play to capability. We should win our next two games, even with average efforts.

Great post.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

rgdeuce wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:Watching this game, I think we clearly want to play OSU. Russell is overrated. VCU plays really quick. I think we win but they would be the tougher opponent.
Come on man, Russell is not overrated
I guess I'm thinking about the time I heard someone say he's a more athletic James Harden. I just don't see that.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Russell welcome to Hollis-Jefferson Island
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:What does my opinion of 4 days have to do with a Georgia state team I've never met? Talk about strange tangents.
It means the degree to which you look for the potential negative and overplay the challenge with every potential roadblock is uncanny in its consistency, if not legendary. If you pull that sh*t in your day job then you must drive your boss f*cking batsh*t crazy.

News flash: if we do not play well, we will not advance. Having lost to 3 non-tournament teams during the regular season makes that abundantly clear to anyone paying attention.

But your definition of insanely brutal is way past comical. We got a pretty good draw all things considered; our fate is in our own hands.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Well I guess I don't have to worry about Baylor
LOL, who is up next for you to freak out about for no discernible reason?
There was a very valid reason to worry about Baylor. Beyond extremely valid reason. But now we don't.
Was it their inflated #3 seed with (now) 10 losses in a conference that was insanely overrated? Suffocating defenses don't lose that many times,

Your "glass half empty" shtick is as old as bc97''s flip-flopping.
BeetzyB

Post by BeetzyB »

thenewazcats wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:Watching this game, I think we clearly want to play OSU. Russell is overrated. VCU plays really quick. I think we win but they would be the tougher opponent.
I guess I'm thinking about the time I heard someone say he's a more athletic James Harden. I just don't see that.
High Volume shooter. He'll get his, but outside of him..meh, not worried.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:Your posts makes no sense. Why would I hate us getting an easier road with our toughest obstacle to the elite 8 removed? You people and you nonexistent reading skills...
Two potential scenarios at play here:

1) You are erudite and your opinions and the posts which illustrate them are well thought-out and clearly presented, which implies the rest us us are blithering idiots with limited reading comprehension skills.

2) The opposite of #1 is true.

Which is more likely?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Don't give ASUHATER a hard time. He worries so the rest of us don't have to
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

thenewazcats wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
I don't think that comp is that far off TBH. He is better than Harden was in college, at the very least as a freshman. He can shoot, he can get to the basket, he is crafty as all hell but is quicker than Harden and has a better handle than Harden did at that stage of Harden's career, he is a lefty, high-volume shooter. He's a scorer and doesn't defend that well. Harden's got a little size on him but thats about it.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

AZ should win this one. The game that stands out the most for OSU is the home game against Wisconsin when they got blown out. VCU was only their 2nd top 50 rpi win of the season. And their O rating is 27th while their D rating is 40th. They remind me of Stanford in so many ways.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Katzenfreund wrote:I wouldn't mind playing Oregon for a fourth time.
Don't look ahead.

:mrgreen:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Russell will be the best player that RHJ has and ever will guard in the entirety of his collegiate career. That isn't hyperbole and you know it if you have Big Ten affiliation. RHJ is the best defender that Russell will have ever faced in college. In that kind of match-up, I give the advantage to the offensive talent. Arizona's 1-6 will need a solid defensive and rebounding effort to avoid the upset. If both teams play up to their potential, Arizona will win by double-digits.

Baylor was a potential challenge. All 3-seeds are. But I wouldn't have traded them for a different 3-seed.

It still holds that Arizona has a nice road to the Final Four. There's just one fewer Subway stop for lunch, and a Blake's Lotta Burger in its place.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Anyone still complaining that we were a #2 and Wisconsin a #1?

Our path is now #15, #10 then (#6 or #14)

Wisconsin is #16, (#8 or #9) then (#4 or #5)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Anyone still complaining that we were a #2 and Wisconsin a #1?

My only complaint was not getting Duke as our 1-seed. But now that I've rewatched our Wisconsin game from a year ago, I'm just sweating out my hope that Wisconsin gets past their Sweet 16 game. I'll do everything in my power to jinx UNC or Arkansas.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Longhorned wrote:

My only complaint was not getting Duke as our 1-seed. But now that I've rewatched our Wisconsin game from a year ago, I'm just sweating out my hope that Wisconsin gets past their Sweet 16 game. I'll do everything in my power to jinx UNC or Arkansas.
Wait, you'd rather play Wisky than Arkansas? Is that a revenge thing or because you think we match up better with Wisky, because, erm, we don't. Arkansas is simply not that good.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I rather play the kansas, the Ar-kansas
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

salim'sheadband wrote:
EVCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:
8 is interesting

Great post.
When Baylor lost I immediately thought of your UCONN comparison post & how Arizona hasn't gotten as "lucky" with draws in the dance. Baylor losing, should Arizona win tomorrow, should be the first of the "lucky breaks" for us in a good bit. :)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Puerco wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Wait, you'd rather play Wisky than Arkansas? Is that a revenge thing or because you think we match up better with Wisky, because, erm, we don't. Arkansas is simply not that good.
Arkansas is a truly flawed team. They're very well-conditioned for endurance in high-intensity games, and they play with great effort. But that press just doesn't work against teams that have good floor leaders, discipline, or athletes. UNC is just undisciplined enough that I wouldn't put it past them, but I think they'll advance, as will Wisconsin against either Oregon or Oklahoma State. If Wisconsin plays Arkansas, I expect Wisconsin to advance, but I'm a little shell-shocked from the upsets so far so I'm getting irrational and unsure of sure things.

Arizona matches up better with UNC than Wisconsin, but UNC could cause problems for Wisconsin. Wisconsin's defense may not be effective enough to manage the pace of the game.

As I posted above, I have a lot of specific thoughts about a Wisconsin-Arizona match-up. I'm as confident in Arizona over Wisconsin as I am Arizona over UNC, but even a touch more so because Wisconsin comes in a ready package with regards to game plan. Kaminsky will have a big game, but let's not get nuts about this. Arizona outplayed Wisconsin a year ago with an awful offensive performance. At positions 1-5, Wisconsin is fighting an uphill battle in trying to guard Arizona. Kaminsky can't guard either Ashley or Tarc. And if anyone thinks that Kaminsky steamrolls Tarc's offense, go back and rewatch the Elite Eight game again. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is a nightmare even on offense against Wisconsin's man-to-man, let alone is disruptions on defense. Stanley Johnson won't help matters for them. They have to face this year's TJ, not the TJ of poor-shot-choice-brick-extraordinaire they got last year. It isn't just revenge. It's the confidence that comes with familiarity. Bring on the Badgers.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I found myself rooting for the upsets...except for UNC since I too think they have a shot against Wiscy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Gilbertcat wrote:I found myself rooting for the upsets...except for UNC since I too think they have a shot against Wiscy
For that to happen, UNC needs a really good game and to dial up the speed of the game. Even then, Wisconsin won't have a bad game because here's the thing about Wisconsin, both last year and this year: They're probably the only team in all of Division 1 that doesn't have bad games. Arizona has bad games and can lose to teams worse than anyone they'll face in the tournament. Kentucky has bad games. When they have their full roster, Wisconsin consistently makes very few mistakes. It pisses me off. Wisconsin consistently plays to their ceiling, which isn't as high as some other elite teams. Last year's Wisconsin is very similar to this year's.

Usually at some point in the tourney, teams other than Wisconsin play a bad game. The teams that win in spite of a bad game obviously keep going. Going back to 1988, Arizona's bad tourney games are obvious, including the ones they won. Arizona played a bad game against Wisconsin last year and still should have won. I don't know what would happen if Arizona were to have a bad game against the Tar Heels. But as long as Arizona brings its defense, I think they'd have a shot to beat Wisconsin during a poor performance on offense. If we're clicking, I think it's as good a draw as many for the Elite Eight.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Georgia State is going to beat Xavier, especially if Harrow is healthy and plays.
Bear Down Vegas

ZONACAT wrote:Georgia State is going to beat Xavier, especially if Harrow is healthy and plays.
Obviously that would be better for us should we win tomorrow...but the potential of OSU, Xavier, Wisconsin is just so juicy & awesome would Arizona win all of those to get to the Final Four. I know that's getting ahead of things but still. It's like - perfect.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Perfect! And what else should we want other than perfect?
Bear Down Vegas

Longhorned wrote:Perfect! And what else should we want other than perfect?
Touche - obviously I'd prefer Georgia State should we beat the buckeyes tomorrow.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The theme of this year is "Redemption". I'm not sure that Xavier falls into that category, and in fact it might be redemption for them to beat the coach that abandoned them. So maybe Georgia State is the right choice here as far as marketing, branding, and so forth. ;)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:The theme of this year is "Redemption". I'm not sure that Xavier falls into that category, and in fact it might be redemption for them to beat the coach that abandoned them. So maybe Georgia State is the right choice here as far as marketing, branding, and so forth. ;)
I agree. I would bet Miller has zero desire to play Xavier, ever. He still has a lot of love and respect for them and coach Mack.

Xavier, on the other hand, would love the chance to stick it to Miller.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Perfect! And what else should we want other than perfect?
Touche - obviously I'd prefer Georgia State should we beat the buckeyes tomorrow.
Why touche? I was agreeing with you without irony!
Bear Down Vegas

Hahaha!

Damn you context & trying to read into you.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Miller doesn't want to play Xavier, good news is that all of the kids on the XU squad have been recruited by Mack.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah the last Miller recruited Xavier players have been gone for a year or so.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:The theme of this year is "Redemption". I'm not sure that Xavier falls into that category, and in fact it might be redemption for them to beat the coach that abandoned them. So maybe Georgia State is the right choice here as far as marketing, branding, and so forth. ;)
The biggest redemption I'd be looking for is shaking off the Elite Eight roadblock we've been running into for over a decade. If we went out there again, it would be 3 of the last 5 years and 5 of the last 12.

Shaking that particular monkey off our back is the biggest redemption I would want.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We'll find something to bitch about.

Good article (at the end) on this being a favorable matchup.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... ams_n.html
The Wildcats could be the worst matchup for the Buckeyes in the NCAA outside of Kentucky.

• Size: Four of Arizona's five starters are at least 6-foot-7. Small forwards Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson are both 6-7, power forward Brandon Ashley is 6-9 and Kaleb Tarczewski is 7-foot.

• Depth: Arizona's rotation goes only seven deep, but the Wildcats have recruited top-five recruiting classes four years in a row. They are loaded with talent.

• Scheme: Arizona runs a packed defense, which will stop Russell from getting into the lane. The Wildcats will give you the three, though, but Ohio State has struggled at times beyond the arc.

"Matchups," Matta said. "We've got to come up with something."
Right where I want to be.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

gumby wrote:• Depth: Arizona's rotation goes only seven deep, but the Wildcats have recruited top-five recruiting classes four years in a row. They are loaded with talent.
I'm surprised they didn't say six. If they make it close that's all they'll see unless we get into severe foul trouble.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

We can still beat three #1 seeds in this tournament, right? I'm on board with that. Bring on Wisky, UK, and whichever other inferior one seed makes it through.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

AZCatGirl wrote:
gumby wrote:• Depth: Arizona's rotation goes only seven deep, but the Wildcats have recruited top-five recruiting classes four years in a row. They are loaded with talent.
I'm surprised they didn't say six. If they make it close that's all they'll see unless we get into severe foul trouble.
Pretty sure we go nine deep. Ristic, Pitts and PJC all get significant minutes. One of my favorite Miller adjustments this season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:• Scheme: Arizona runs a packed defense,
Packed? Pack line perhaps?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Same result sans the coachspeak. Big picture, people! Bad matchup for THE Ohio State.
Right where I want to be.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

rgdeuce wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
I don't think that comp is that far off TBH. He is better than Harden was in college, at the very least as a freshman. He can shoot, he can get to the basket, he is crafty as all hell but is quicker than Harden and has a better handle than Harden did at that stage of Harden's career, he is a lefty, high-volume shooter. He's a scorer and doesn't defend that well. Harden's got a little size on him but thats about it.
I'll be honest. Work and two kids has kept me from watching as much as I normally have. I've seen a couple moments from a couple games. He may be better than I think, and my claim may be off. I'll go into tomorrow with an open mind, but Harden was one hell of a smooth player as a freshman himself.

Hey, Longhorned, thanks for the breakdown on opponents. Good stuff.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Katzenfreund wrote:I wouldn't mind playing Oregon for a fourth time.
Don't you know Katz that it's very difficult beating a team three...oops, I mean four times a season, lol. I would LOVE to put those sore losing, dbags in their place yet again! Ain't gonna happen though as they don't have enough talent to get there!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

No they're crying about their seeding.
I feel like we got a #1 seed in name only.

Arizona - has easier opponents in every round leading up to the elite 8

Arizona - will be playing closer to home

In reality Arizona is set up as the number 1 seed.

What we should have been was the number 1 seed in the south instead of Duke. But Duke got in based on their name:
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=13749383
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:No they're crying about their seeding.

What we should have been was the number 1 seed in the south instead of Duke. But Duke got in based on their name:
I think that guy has a point. if they're a #1 seed, they should have been in the south. we should have been a #1 in the west, and zags should have been a #2 here in the west.

But....the committee did a horrible job seeding, and it is what it is.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
azgreg wrote:No they're crying about their seeding.

I think that guy has a point. if they're a #1 seed, they should have been in the south. we should have been a #1 in the west, and zags should have been a #2 here in the west.

But....the committee did a horrible job seeding, and it is what it is.
Definitely. That's what I would have done.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That whole state can S my D. Bunch of gingers
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Wisconsin is going to have their hands full with N. Carolina.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

I have a question and I didnt want to start a new thread so I'll put it here. I didn't notice Zach Peters on the bench all season but I could have swore that he was in line to shake hands after the Ohio State game. Did anyone else notice that? Was I seeing things? Has he been on the bench all season or did Miller bring him back for the tournament for some reason? I tried to research it but the only articles I find are the ones saying he isn't playing anymore for medical reasons.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

jsbowl16 wrote:I have a question and I didnt want to start a new thread so I'll put it here. I didn't notice Zach Peters on the bench all season but I could have swore that he was in line to shake hands after the Ohio State game. Did anyone else notice that? Was I seeing things? Has he been on the bench all season or did Miller bring him back for the tournament for some reason? I tried to research it but the only articles I find are the ones saying he isn't playing anymore for medical reasons.
That wasn't Zach Peters you saw, that was a graduate manager.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... EASON=2014
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Thanks. That makes sense.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

When is the Wisky v. UNC game today?