Regarding the Fighting Illini

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Regarding the Fighting Illini

Post by Longhorned »

Stop me if this is inappropriate, but since I have to teach a big lecture class at the University of Illinois during our first round tourney game, is it okay if I start out the class by saying the following?

"Wow, looks like a full house today. You know you lost in the first round of the N.I.T. when everybody comes to class on the first day of March Madness."
pokinmik

Re: Regarding the Fighting Illini

Post by pokinmik »

I encourage you to open with this line. Thanks in advance.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

That would be hilarious! You may need to watch your backside as you make your way to your car though.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'd do it. But remember none of your students would really remember why Arizona would hate Illinois. All were in like 4th grade for that game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Quick way to lose your audience. Hilarious though.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:I'd do it. But remember none of your students would really remember why Arizona would hate Illinois. All were in like 4th grade for that game.
They're not aware of any history between Illinois and Arizona. They wear Arizona gear to class. I just like to stick it to all of the continuing generations of Illini and remind them how much they suck.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Do a powerpoint in which this is the background of every slide:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Do a powerpoint in which this is the background of every slide:

One of them is in my class.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Baller status.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I'd do it. But remember none of your students would really remember why Arizona would hate Illinois. All were in like 4th grade for that game.
They're not aware of any history between Illinois and Arizona. They wear Arizona gear to class. I just like to stick it to all of the continuing generations of Illini and remind them how much they suck.
I bumped into an Illini fan on a plane that had a desktop image of the 2005 FF team on his laptop. I commented that he must be trolling me, but he replied that apparently we broke their hearts in 2001 and so the revenge against us was especially sweet.

Which, I had to really think about beating Illinois in 2001....I remembered beating MSU and losing to Duke, everybody else was just roadkill in my memories....
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I said it. There was a some laughter but that's it. So then throughout the lecture I kept giving updates on tourney scores and results, and I could sense that they knew they were sisters of the poor.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You are my hero!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azthrillhouse wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I bumped into an Illini fan on a plane that had a desktop image of the 2005 FF team on his laptop. I commented that he must be trolling me, but he replied that apparently we broke their hearts in 2001 and so the revenge against us was especially sweet.

Which, I had to really think about beating Illinois in 2001....I remembered beating MSU and losing to Duke, everybody else was just roadkill in my memories....
I just had a meeting with someone high up in the admin at Illinois and they were talking about how pissed they are that the athletic department never made an official video showing the win over us in 2005. They did say however that at the alumni events they've had all summer revolving around introducing Dee Brown as assistant AD, they play that game during the mix & mingle portion before the official speeches start up.

Basically, that was the highlight of Illini sports over the past 25+ years.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I know it's been 11 years but I still despise Illinois basketball, but this makes me smile. :)
http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/f ... 169&page=2" target="_blank

If you continue to want to deny this is a dying program just look at this place.
It used to be hopping around here. I could always log on every four hours and so many new post and lots of people. Now it is a ghost town. I log in and I see hardly any new threads.. This place is dying a slow painful death just like the program is under coach John Groce. One tournament run and he got the job. Should of been a red flag his best regular season finish was 4th.. Illini has potential, they have a strong loyal fanbase. The fanbased is just sick of them not even trying. That's why somewhere on the staff has to be a former Illini. Its a family brand. Midwestern where family values are high. If they are going insist on keeping Groce then I want this to be in the details of him staying.
---He gets former coach to help out. Like Keady did with Steve Lavin

---Hires new assistant coaches..

He has the personality yes, but he doesn't have the brains. So get some guys with the brains and he focus on his energy and recruiting. If not say hello to bottom big10 for along time..
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Irish27 wrote:I know it's been 11 years but I still despise Illinois basketball, but this makes me smile. :)
http://www.scout.com/college/illinois/f ... 169&page=2" target="_blank

If you continue to want to deny this is a dying program just look at this place.
It used to be hopping around here. I could always log on every four hours and so many new post and lots of people. Now it is a ghost town. I log in and I see hardly any new threads.. This place is dying a slow painful death just like the program is under coach John Groce. One tournament run and he got the job. Should of been a red flag his best regular season finish was 4th.. Illini has potential, they have a strong loyal fanbase. The fanbased is just sick of them not even trying. That's why somewhere on the staff has to be a former Illini. Its a family brand. Midwestern where family values are high. If they are going insist on keeping Groce then I want this to be in the details of him staying.
---He gets former coach to help out. Like Keady did with Steve Lavin

---Hires new assistant coaches..

He has the personality yes, but he doesn't have the brains. So get some guys with the brains and he focus on his energy and recruiting. If not say hello to bottom big10 for along time..
I echo your disdain for the Illini.....hated them since the days of Bill Self and his Thugball style.....and also another reason I hate KU ;-)
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Illinois just hired Lovie Smith.

In March??? WTF???
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure that hiring a HC that has been fired twice in the last few years, and been out of college ball for 20 some years is really that great of idea.

Does Smith even have the energy to recruit?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Wait, so the Illinois football job was still open 6 months after they fired their coach and 2-3 months after the season ended?

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Wait, so the Illinois football job was still open 6 months after they fired their coach and 2-3 months after the season ended?
No, they just canned the guy who coached this last year last week.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well they had an interim coach. Don't really count it as canning him when they just remove his interim tag. Still took a longggggggg time to find a replacement.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well they had an interim coach. Don't really count it as canning him when they just remove his interim tag. Still took a longggggggg time to find a replacement.
They gave him a permanent contract. This has the timeline.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on- ... hiring-him" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So why was he fired then?

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:So why was he fired then?
He was fired on the new AD's first day on the job.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Because the AD knew he could get Lovie.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Lovie is a good guy and a good coach
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote:Lovie is a good guy and a good coach
agree

f*ck Illinois
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Because the AD knew he could get Lovie.
Don't get me wrong, Lovie's a very good hire, but the new AD clearly came in with a plan that didn't involve Cubit.

He also apparently didn't tell Cubit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachCubit/s ... wsrc%5Etfw" target="_blank
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

This situation makes less and less sense as I dig into it. They shit canned Cubit that cost them $1.3 Mil for basically no value to the program what so ever AND hired Lovie to the tune of $3.5 Mil per year as one of the lowest revenue programs in the BIG.

It would really suck to have been on the Illini staff and be left in the cold this season due to this move.
az91

Post by az91 »

Alieberman wrote:Lovie is a good guy and a good coach
He couldn't be any worse than the clowns they have hired in recent years.