Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by 84Cat »

UCLA's defense is really stepping up. Love the switches
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA responded well after the injury too. Riley had his best game of the year. UNC without JJJ is a whole other matter.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It's gonna be a nail-biter, but I'll go out on a limb and predict the Trollops win this one.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Congrats on the win Bug! Damn, I wish we had played today instead of having to wait until tomorrow….survive and advance.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

This is encouraging
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Bruins playing a super hot UNC team next but hot teams do cool down. If UCLA wins this game I think they will beat Purdue to make the final four again. Good luck to the PAC.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Agreed my hatred of Pac 12 teams stops once we get into different brackets in the tourney...

I still think Cronin is a little bitch though, but I do respect the team.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Mick hinted that Jules Bernard won't be utilizing his super senior season next season.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Jaime is fully good to go?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:55 pm Jaime is fully good to go?
I think he's going to go. Not sure how effective he will be.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Good luck Bug
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

House money at this point.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA is losing assistant coach Michael Lewis, to the head coaching job at Ball State
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Feels like we just can't put them away and I think it comes back to haunt us
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Looks like game
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Not yet it ain't

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

That might be it!

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Hate that the PAC has no team beyond the sweet 16. It just lends to the narrative the West is no good. That is the reason the PAC has less Quad 1 wins because none of their teams get ranked early.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just want to say that most of the people who had been loudest on twitter about Benn and #boobgate were UCLA fans.

Enjoy your offseason Assholes
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:51 am I just want to say that most of the people who had been loudest on twitter about Benn and #boobgate were UCLA fans.

Enjoy your offseason Assholes
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Scattered Thoughts that some may or may not want to read. It'll come out like a word salad.

Season - Considering the final four run last year, a lot of people had high expectations for the team. But the team was average last year, until they were elite, when Juzang had a Caleb Love type run and UCLA made the final four. The team improved and started out well, but the COVID pause and COVID going through the team, had effects on the rest of the season. Mick was nearly hospitalized. Every player came down with COVID. Once they resumed, they played 2.5 games well. Once vs USC, once vs St. Mary's, and the loss in the PAC-12 championship game. Juzang never got going and Jules was all over the place. Mick rode his guys hard, at the expense of a bench (which he had) and legs caught up to them later in games. I suspect playing time promises played a bit into it to "bring the gang back". The team often went as Riley went. Refusal to sit guys who didnt have it was...strange. Not doing better in conference was disappointing, but Arizona came out of nowhere and there is no shame in that. Arizona ended up being the second overall seed in the NCAA's, so it was more about Arizona in conference than it was UCLA.

Players in general - Cody had a pretty good transformation from being embarrassed on a national stage with the China incident. But he's 24 and even with a season of eligibility left, he's unlikely to come back and I dont think he wanted to come back this year. Juzang is probably gone. He could never recapture that same form as the tournament. Jules Bernard was up and down all season. I suspect he's gone as well, but he was the best player for UCLA In the UNC game and had a good tournament showing. Bernard, Riley, Singleton are all Alford holdovers so they put their trust in Cronin after the Alford "experience" so it's easy to appreciate what it means to sticking through for better or worse. JJJ could test out the NBA, but I think he comes back for one more year. He should feature heavily next year and without Juzang and Jules, the PT is there. I can't see Tyger Campbell not coming back, he's improved every year, but 5'11 PG's aren't really an NBA thing. He's actually got two years of eligibility left. There are some Peyton Watson to UW rumors, coming from the UW board. I could see him unhappy with the playing time this year, but the biggest issue was that UCLA returned the starting lineup from a Final Four team. If we lose who we are expected to lose, he should have playing time galore. But Washington as a destination? His NBA future is defensive driven and the zone won't help him. I'm assuming he will be back. Jaylen Clark should also see an uptick in minutes with the departures. Either he or Watson should have been in the game over Juzang/JJJ to guard Love. Myles Johnson improved as the season wore on and should be comfortable in his role next year. Mac Etiene has been quiet since the incident, so who knows what is going to happen there. Kyman might see the talent coming in and transfer for a chance to play meaningful minutes. He's a UCLA legacy kid though. David Singleton announced he was returning and should see minutes. David Nwuba doesnt have the skills but he's third string this year and will be 4th string next year if Mac returns.

Incoming talent - A prolific poster once asked who Amari Bailey was and told me he wasn't a 5*, but the #2 ranked player in the nation is coming here to play significant minutes, not take a Peyton Watson type role this year. If he doesn't play many minutes, Mick might not be able to recruit another 5* kid again. If he doesn't start, I think he'll be the backup at the 1 & 2. Adem Bona should play quite a few minutes. He's extremely athletic and the ideal Mick post. He's thought to be a 1 and done, so we'll see how that plays out. Dylan Andrews is also coming in, but I don't expect him to play many minutes, which at being ranked #39 in the nation, is strange. They also have Will McClendon, who was hurt all year, so that's another guard for the team. No true power forward concerns me, but Mick has said he wants just three posts on the roster. Three players need to leave the team to accommodate the incoming talent. It's not expected to be an issue. They've been adding talent, which is improving the athleticism to play defense, but Mick choose offense, over his patent defense, in key spots this year.

Mick Cronin - Has been a godsend to UCLA. He's not perfect and his style and system have some weaknesses, but he got a lot out of this team. That could be a "It's not Alford so it must be amazing" syndrome. The players love him and UCLA hasn't had a player transfer out in the three seasons he has been here, I think one of only 2 programs in the p5 conferences. I half expect it to happen this year. But after the loss vs UNC, they gathered around each other and they had their "lockerroom talk" even as UNC was celebrating the win. He knows the right buttons to push, at least for now. I've seen people mention that he's already peaked, which is curious since people said he peaked at Cincinnati when he couldn't reach the Sweet 16, but has gone 2/2 already at UCLA, including a Final Four run, UCLA's fourth since 2006. Te tournament isn't a ceiling, it has to do with playing really well at the right time. Last year they were, this year they weren't. He's definitely passionate, which is a complete 180 from the milquetoast Alford, who was hot garbage this year and most of his UCLA tenure.

And yes, he's short. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I certainly hope UCLA is very good next year. The conference desperately needs both of us to shine Nationally. With Campbell and JJJ you should meet those expectations.

I think the thing that makes Cronin really upset is his comment about AZ being the tougher team in the second half of the conference championship game. That will eat at him all offseason I think. The games between us next year should get a straight up battle because he won’t allow that to happen again.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:27 am I certainly hope UCLA is very good next year. The conference desperately needs both of us to shine Nationally. With Campbell and JJJ you should meet those expectations.

I think the thing that makes Cronin really upset is his comment about AZ being the tougher team in the second half of the conference championship game. That will eat at him all offseason I think. The games between us next year should get a straight up battle because he won’t allow that to happen again.
He doesn't control that!!!!

BTFD!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Feels like a huge missed opportunity, watching UNC destroy the peacocks. But I get that the Duke - UNC final four showdown was always going to be destined.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

MrBug708 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:52 pm Feels like a huge missed opportunity, watching UNC destroy the peacocks. But I get that the Duke - UNC final four showdown was always going to be destined.
I know how you feel, Houston was only able to put up 44 on Saturday and Villinova, to whom they lost, only hit 50.

Made me a little queezy.

I'm sure you feel the same.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... ?_amp=true

“Mick Cronin’s new six-year contract, which takes effect Friday and pays him $4.1 million annually, is expected to make the UCLA coach the highest-paid public-school basketball coach in the Pac-12.”

That’s a lot of dough! Looks like he will be there for a long while
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Jake Kyman enters the transfer portal. Best of luck to the kid! He's probably low end MWC talent and I hope he gets a place to start
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I see we are still doing the negrep dance...lol
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Some nice scheduling going on.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

That is good scheduling.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Should have gone last year
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Paging Beachcat
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He doesn't come unless his master comes calling 😎

I wish JJ the best, wherever he finds himself playing!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Myles takes a job at IBM, which will pay for his final year of grad school and end his basketball career.

Singleton returns for his final year
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA hires a European Assistant coach. Former HC at Red Star, at age 24, Ivo Simovic. He once had Filip Petrusev committed to Hartford. No surprise that two of UCLA"s biggest 2023 targets are of Serbian descent.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yo, Europe is ours. Get your own continent (not Africa).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Hopefully it works better than our last couple of Euros. Golomon (who?) And Dragovic, the domestic abuser how and brought in. Hopefully more Zidek than anything.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

And UCLA strikes out on their first try, missing the French big who committed instead to Illinois.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ing-illini

UCLA lost six guys with eligibility, only one got drafted, and they haven't gotten a commitment since last November. Bruins down bad.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

That's a shame.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:03 pm That's a shame.
It's more funny than anything. They offered pretty late and he's a class of 2022 guy.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Cronin's style of play is not the most attractive to recruits. His guys need to get drafted and stick to help.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Yo! WTF?! Jesus! That’s awful!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

He had been missing since mid July according to a family friend. What a horrible outcome
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

That is horrible to hear. I read where he was going through a lot mentally, I wonder if it was suicide? Very sad news.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Read that today. Just helps you realize that some people are hurting more than you would expect. Feel for his family and also sad that he could not find peace. RIP.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

As someone that’s experienced this situation first hand (assuming what happened actually happened) it’s devastating, especially for the family which will not go 1 day without having those “why’s?” and “what could we have done?” thoughts.

Just sad.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My oldest son developed some severe mental health issues about the same age, but is still with us since the cops were not very good shots during his SBC attempt although he has some permanent physical issues but has been seeing a psychiatrist and taking his meds the last 10 years.

What age do mental illnesses develop?

Overall, the global onset of the first mental disorder occurs before age 14 in one-third of individuals, age 18 in almost half (48.4%), and before age 25 in half (62.5%), with a peak/median age at onset of 14.5/18 years across all mental disorders
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:14 am As someone that’s experienced this situation first hand (assuming what happened actually happened) it’s devastating, especially for the family which will not go 1 day without having those “why’s?” and “what could we have done?” thoughts.

Just sad.
My family has had two uncles who just up and vanished. One of them was an addict in his younger years, but had even reconciled with his prior family upon getting out of prison and rehab. One day, just gone. A year later his body was found in the desert, badly decomposed. Still no idea what happened.

The other uncle was a Vietnam vet who just one day left his family and was off the grid and out of reach for over a decade from the early 90s to early 00s. He resurfaced around 2005 and then disappeared again.

It is crushing to the family in ways impossible to explain. Not a shock 3 of the 5 kids involved became addicts. One of them pretty badly. My parents have been helping one of the kids for the better part of 3 years now with rehab.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think I read where he had a hard time coping with the China incident. Not sure if that alluded to fans giving him such a hard time or other pressures but I know I have been trying to remember that these are often 18-22 year old kids and being supportive is more important than an outcome or rivalry of a game