UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by TheCat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:08 am So glad this is the last year in this shitty ass conference. UCLA can go make the Big 10 look bad next year.
They can win the Big 10.....not so much the big 12.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

That would crack me up if UCLA won the B1G next year, and like Oregon came in 3rd, and great if we won the Big12.
All these years "oh the pac 12 sucks" and the first year after the diaspora, Pac teams thrive in their new conferences.

Probly too much to ask for Furd to win the ACC and Washington st to win the Pactain West or Mountain Pac or whatever they end up in.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:19 am That would crack me up if UCLA won the B1G next year, and like Oregon came in 3rd, and great if we won the Big12.
All these years "oh the pac 12 sucks" and the first year after the diaspora, Pac teams thrive in their new conferences.

Probly too much to ask for Furd to win the ACC and Washington st to win the Pactain West or Mountain Pac or whatever they end up in.
I suppose you've heard: "Be careful what you wish for" before...

Be careful.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:19 am That would crack me up if UCLA won the B1G next year, and like Oregon came in 3rd, and great if we won the Big12.

ucla has zero chance of winning the B1G next season. If they only win the Pac once every ten years, why would anyone think they'll do better in a harder conference? And as good as the B1G is, it's still way behind the Big 12. Look at the current rankings.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Mick needs to get a great offensive coach and leave him alone. UCLA scored what we did in about 22 minutes against a team not known this year for their defense.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:54 pm Mick needs to get a great offensive coach and leave him alone. UCLA scored what we did in about 22 minutes against a team not known this year for their defense.
Interesting that as soon as you take all those Alford holdovers away from him, Cronin regresses to his usual performance level as a coach. There’s a reason that in 15 years at Cincy he wasn’t once offered a better job.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Rough game. Definitely going to be a season of development more than anything else. Just need to make the tournament and keep everyone for next year.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Give Mick time. His Imodium-D(efense) will take effect (follow directions carefully). He'll staunch the flow of any (bowel) movement anywhere in the country. Veteran travelers don't leave home without it.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The natives are starting to turn on Cronin. It was only a matter of time. He's better suited for a 3rd tier job like Cincy.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I still wanna go out drinkin' wit da guy.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:38 pm The natives are starting to turn on Cronin. It was only a matter of time. He's better suited for a 3rd tier job like Cincy.
He’s definitely more “rust belt” than LA glitz
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Mick is a good coach that is wound up too tight and therefore gets his players thinking too much… kind of like a certain former AZ coach

I’d 100% rather have someone like Tommy “Let er Rip” Lloyd leading the way
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:04 am
Must have been when he was calling out Bona on his lack of boards.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:54 pm Mick is a good coach that is wound up too tight and therefore gets his players thinking too much… kind of like a certain former AZ coach
100% agree. It takes a certain kind of player to thrive under Mick (and recently not necessarily the players he's responsible for recruiting). He's a wise tyrant, but a tyrant nonetheless. Compare to Tommy I-love-you-but Lloyd whose guys play out of love for him and the game, and it's a contrast of bondage vs liberation.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:54 pm
TheCat wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:54 pm Mick needs to get a great offensive coach and leave him alone. UCLA scored what we did in about 22 minutes against a team not known this year for their defense.
Interesting that as soon as you take all those Alford holdovers away from him, Cronin regresses to his usual performance level as a coach. There’s a reason that in 15 years at Cincy he wasn’t once offered a better job.
Stodgy, system based mid major coaches, government major when they get to elite programs
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ucla fired a coach who went to three straight FFs. He also won the Pac the year he was fired. He was the best coach they've had since Wooden. And he got fired.

It shows how that program is somehow plagued by its own history. They're no longer an elite program, but fans and boosters see it differently.

They've offered their HC job to Few, Shaka, Barnes, Stevens. None of the A-listers want it. So they keep getting these mediocre guys like Alford and Cronin who probably would've traded their left arm to move out of Albuquerque or Cincinnati.

Cronin is already mis-managing their recruiting, going all in on eager-to-go-pro Euros while Arizona, USC, Oregon, Duke and others are getting the best preps from California.

We'll see if Cronin can turn things around this season, but I think it's more likely their struggles continue.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UCLA is the ultimate boomer school, heading to the ultimate boomer conference

God, I can’t wait for generational change
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:09 pm ucla fired a coach who went to three straight FFs. He also won the Pac the year he was fired. He was the best coach they've had since Wooden. And he got fired.
UCLA also fired my favorite UCLA coach ever, who made the Sweet 16 or better 5 out of 7 years there.

And still having big wins now.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:24 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:09 pm ucla fired a coach who went to three straight FFs. He also won the Pac the year he was fired. He was the best coach they've had since Wooden. And he got fired.
UCLA also fired my favorite UCLA coach ever, who made the Sweet 16 or better 5 out of 7 years there.

And still having big wins now.

Ah, Lavin. He's always been a better guy than coach though, right? Like, he's one of the most well-liked college hoops figures nationwide. Respected and admired by young and old.

He may've been the best recruiter UCLA's had in the post-Wooden era. Either him or Howland.

But Lavin, like Alford (and eventually Cronin), was destined to fall short of the stupid and impossible expectations ucla fans/alums bring to that team.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:04 am
He said: "I love him but ....."!!!

C'mon Mick, give a hat tip to Tommy.

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

As I have said, publicly blaming his own players and discounting the opposition is what he does. I just think it is wrong. Mick's style of play will harm recruiting in the long term. You can have both a high powered offense with defensive intensity. Cronin believes you only need one.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:26 pm As I have said, publicly blaming his own players and discounting the opposition is what he does. I just think it is wrong. Mick's style of play will harm recruiting in the long term. You can have both a high powered offense with defensive intensity. Cronin believes you only need one.
It only works when you have Alford’s players.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Jagoff on a shelf?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Constipated elf

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Here at the game with my 8 year old son. Here to see his first game!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

MrBug708 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:30 pm Here at the game with my 8 year old son. Here to see his first game!
Good job Bug. When Bug Jr. grows up to be a Wildcat fan we hope you'll understand and forgive us.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Cronin was their 3rd choice for the job opening. It’s important to remember this fact as the last vestiges of Alford’s recruiting are now gone. What you’re seeing this year is full Mick Cronin basketball.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

MrBug708 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:30 pm Here at the game with my 8 year old son. Here to see his first game!
I hope he's having fun despite the score.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Mick in the huddle: "Win this fucking game or I'll start taking fingers and foreskins Motherfuckers!"

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Whelp. My son is a streak buster I guess haha
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Losing to the #250th rated team is no bueno. They could have won this game if they made their ft's
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Heard at the next Pauley game: "aaaaand at point guard .... a 6'2" freshman from Cincinnati Ohio ...... Franky Fucking Four Fingers!!"

~ Wilhoit's Law
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Fast playing themselves right out of the tournament - NIT tournament that is.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

No shot at the tournament
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Comparing themselves to the Reds is pretty apt considering how embarrassing they were at times last season. But using it to say UCLA can't afford any decent NIL is just hilarious.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

What a complete douche.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Cronin never gives another team credit. He is a douche. Basically says that his players are not good enough because he couldn't get the ones he wanted because of NIL. Does he realize how fucking stupid that sound when he just lost to CSUN? CSUN is well known as a NIL giant. How about I have no offense other than one on one and I will work my ass off to get one.
Mara the future number one pick in the draft showed off his rebounding prowess with a total of 1 to go along with his 2 points. Feel sorry for the guy because he has potential. He is a great passer but not playing a lot. Had 3 of their 7 assists in limited minutes.
My prediction is Mack will be gone after this year and then you are looking at a 50-55 point team.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:51 pm Comparing themselves to the Reds is pretty apt considering how embarrassing they were at times last season. But using it to say UCLA can't afford any decent NIL is just hilarious.
It’s also apt because they are a formerly great organization that rested on its history for decades but absolutely refuses to invest in its current product.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UCLA Basketball: Mick Cronin Explains Petty Reason For Demoting Sebastian Mack In CSUN Loss
Sebastian Mack was demoted from being a starter for the game after he was reportedly late for something.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1lRS1z

Mack was late getting back from a trip to the ER. Trying to get his foreskin re-attached.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Mick's freshly circumcised Trollops are having a stellar first half.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Is Mick on the hot seat yet?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The hot booster seat?

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This game is why so many people hate college basketball.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:55 pm This game is why so many people hate college basketball.
Totally agree. If by chance Mick's method forges a tournament team at the conclusion we'll have to give him some props. But this fugly style is just an event killer.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Maryland is currently ranked #11 in B1G power rankings.........let that sink in

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2023/12/ ... ngs-week-6
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I don't see how UCLA improves enough over the season. They don't seem to do anything well.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Fishclamps wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:34 pm I don't see how UCLA improves enough over the season. They don't seem to do anything well.
I hope they find a way to. I want our last games against them to be epic, not epic blowouts.

Their performance tonight is absolutely pathetic.