UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by TheCat »

Well if we paid a coach as much I agree with you but we don't. UCLA is probably regretting that decision because you are now married to that coach win or lose because no one can afford their buyout. We should increase our protection though.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Mick had recently noted a single silver lining in his current woes: few teams had scored in the 70s against his team. What about tonight Mick?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Down by almost 50 to Utah

Does Mick even last the year?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm actually feeling sorry for Mick right now.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

50 as in fifty points down to Utah

Never thought I would see the day.

Sad (in a way).
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I wonder what his excuse will be today?

Actually will he just send in another assistant for the media?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

No way will Mick still be the coach by the time UCLA comes to Tucson.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

I didn't know Johnny Lawrence played fo Utah...
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:58 pm No way will Mick still be the coach by the time UCLA comes to Tucson.
Our AD doesn't fire coaches. It's never been that way. We give them way too much time. We kept Alford four years after we were down 41-7 at half.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

MrBug708 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:01 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:58 pm No way will Mick still be the coach by the time UCLA comes to Tucson.
Our AD doesn't fire coaches. It's never been that way. We give them way too much time. We kept Alford four years after we were down 41-7 at half.
Be that as it may, witnessing the demise of a coach and a program is painful.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That was truly bad.

Bad bad bad bad bad

Mick needs to call up Alford to see if he’ll recruit for him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:06 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:01 pm
Be that as it may, witnessing the demise of a coach and a program is painful.
Since the initial creation of this thread on goazcats, I think I've seen 4 Final Fours and what will likely be 4 losing seasons. It's all a whirlwind of emotions, but UCLA usually bounces back. The one downside is that we never react like they used to do once upon a time. If this were any of our fellow blue bloods, Mick would be gone. But UCLA will probably wait and see what next year holds. Oh well, such is life. Luckily the Dodgers are fun.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can’t wait to add a quad 4 win to our resume when we play UCLA…
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UCLA did not have one player that scored in double figures. Not sure I have ever seen that before.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCat wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:31 pm UCLA did not have one player that scored in double figures. Not sure I have ever seen that before.
I think this is the first time in a while we've ever been lapped in a game. Maybe that UK game as well. Or the Maples Massacre.

I expect Arizona to put up 120
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This is a pretty crazy stat.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As soon as Alford’s players were done, shit got real for UCLA’s 3rd tier coach pretty quickly.

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I still remember Dan Gadzuric twisting his ankle so bad he could barely walk, and had a career game against Arizona.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

All the historical stats go out the window when someone, anyone plays Arizona.

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:05 pm I still remember Dan Gadzuric twisting his ankle so bad he could barely walk, and had a career game against Arizona.
Would you take the over on 5 conference wins for UCLA at this point? They have lost to Cal at home already.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I would take the bet that UCLA will play its best game of the season against Arizona.

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:47 pm I would take the bet that UCLA will play its best game of the season against Arizona.
Those games happened in Maui already.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Their Super Bowl will be when AZ comes to town.

I expect them to play well then.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Does anyone in the LA area even care?

It doesn't seem so
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

wyo-cat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:48 am Their Super Bowl will be when AZ comes to town.

I expect them to play well then.
IMNSHO, Arizona should expect every opponents' "best game". Arizona should welcome their "best game", and be confident in prevailing.

Why???

Because Arizona is Arizona!!!

BTFD!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:49 am Does anyone in the LA area even care?

It doesn't seem so
LA has two pro basketball teams and both UCLA and USC!!! That's a lot of competition for support - both financial and otherwise, not to mention options for fair-weather fans...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:49 am Does anyone in the LA area even care?

It doesn't seem so
Last year they won their first Pac title in a decade, and no one cared. Even when they’re doing well, people in L.A. don’t notice.

They have the worst fan support of any college team I’ve ever seen. Their home games next season against B10 opponents are going to be a sea of Michigan, OSU and Wisconsin fans.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

As bad as the final score was they were within 6 early in the second half. They just let go of the rope. Utah over passed in the first half causing a lot of turnovers which kept things close.

I think Mack is a really good player but right now plays selfish and out of control. He could be great. Mara had a couple of moments where he showed some real talent with the hook shot. Did not play a lot. The transfer from Utah looked affected by the students but he has some talent.
They actually ran some sets in the first half that were not half bad.

Bona is what everyone here says he was. A extremely athletic big that if he gets the ball in position without dribbling is good for 15 a night and 7-8 rebounds. He is not the all american that UCLA fans thought he would be this year. He is basically Big O.

So if Mack was coached by Tommy he would be reminded that he can let others play and score and not to feel the burden of expectations. I don't think he is hearing that and is playing for NIL money in the portal right now.

If I was UCLA two things would worry me most:
Mick completely loses this team and it will get worse.
Recruits and their PARENTS have watched Mick's antics and will not consider UCLA as their number one choice leading to long term issues. Especially when you threaten their scholarships.

They can recover enough to look respectable but need to change and it starts with the players. I am flying in to Tucson for the UCLA game guaranteeing they will play better.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Even after last night, which was their second worse loss since the 1940s, there was Cronin bitching about Bona instead of taking responsibility for the loss. Can you imagine how bad it's going to be next year in the Big 10?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

TheCat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:51 pm They just let go of the rope.
"You had a good thing goin' Mick, but you let go of the rope."Image

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Look, they blew us out. We got our ass kicked. They made every shot. They got on a roll. They’re just letting us shoot. They’re just giving us target practice. Sometimes the game is not that complicated. This result aside, we got no chance if we don’t get Adem playing better. I have got to get him playing better.”
Look at Mick blaming Utah for being too good lol
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

So in contrast when Stanford beat us and Tommy did an interview he said that first he was disappointed in himself and the coaching staff and that the players were disappointed too. When an Arizona beat reporter tried to justify the loss by saying Stanford hit a school record number of threes Tommy said "they could have missed 6 of them and still beat us by 2. They kicked our ass period." No mention of specific players making mistakes. Team loss especially the coaches.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No specific players, but without a doubt CTL was calling out Boswell, Love and Larsson which is well deserved.

“Our guards have been getting their asses kicked in these games defensively,” UA coach Tommy Lloyd told Bruce Pascoe of the Arizona Daily Star after Sunday’s 100-82 loss at Stanford.

But I agree with your assessment, the buck stops right at Tommy Lloyd which he takes blame for.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Most Bobby Hurley game ever.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Be gentle.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:45 pmBe gentle.
The butt plug of destiny often arrives un-lubed.

But that can apply to both our teams.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Press conference will again be entertaining at least
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The second half FT's and UCLA unable to rebound are the key points of the game. The timing of Mick's tech wasn't great, but sometimes you need to take on for your team. He's probably going to get fined in his post game presser!

Win #2000 will have to wait for another day for the Bruins!
TheCatInTheHat

As Always...Screw Cronin

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

UCLA's a great school to say you have a degree from (athletics asterisk), and it's got a pretty nice campus (a little too hilly for me), but I sure wouldn't want a kid to play for Cronin. The technical he got was for "F*** you. F*** yourself, motherf***er" to the ref after Stefanovic got a shot blocked and Larsson took it the other way to the hoop and fouled by Stefanovic. Both plays arguable, but no more so than about 20 similar plays that went UCLA's way in the game. And then, the refs seemed to respond to his sweet talk with slightly more sympathetic whistles, so who says people don't respond to flattery? Seems likely they'll tag us in Pauley, then maybe we'll get the very last word in Vegas. In any event, I couldn't care less about them after this season. If they ever want to play us (and they don't; regardless of anything spewed out of baldy's potty-mouth), they can play us in McKale with Big XII refs or not at all.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm The second half FT's and UCLA unable to rebound are the key points of the game. The timing of Mick's tech wasn't great, but sometimes you need to take on for your team. He's probably going to get fined in his post game presser!

Screaming “FUCK YOU!!!” like a sorority girl who just got booted from the bar for being a sloppy mess is a real bad look.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:40 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm The second half FT's and UCLA unable to rebound are the key points of the game. The timing of Mick's tech wasn't great, but sometimes you need to take on for your team. He's probably going to get fined in his post game presser!

Screaming “FUCK YOU!!!” like a sorority girl who just got booted from the bar for being a sloppy mess is a real bad look.
I think he was surprised he got the tech, which led to his colorful language.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Has anyone ever said Mick is a dick?

What an ass. I only saw one homer call.

UCLA had every chance to tie the game, how many 3 pointers did they miss in the last minute?

UA FGs: 6 OF LAST 7
UCLA FGs: 0 OF LAST 7
UCLA FGs: 1 OF LAST 9
UCLA NO FGS LAST 3:44
Last edited by Merkin on Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arizonawildcats

Here's what "happened" with the UCLA coach and fans.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What was the forearm bump Lloyd and Cronin had end of game? Mick and Tommy shook hands with everyone else.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Mick is a disaster of a human being
TheCatInTheHat

Regardng Post-Game Yapping And Finger-Pointing

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Two cops right there as UCLA leaves the court witnessing the whole thing and looking bored and unimpressed by mild heckling from an actual (gasp!) student section sequestered behind a barricade. I recall watching their coaches in an altercation with a fan in Vegas last year after we beat them. There's thin-skinned, and there's "maybe after counseling, you'll decide you're in the wrong profession." I really can't wait to see Cronin and his band of angry little assistants the first time they travel to Iowa or wherever. And if anybody's looking for any unbiased perspective, don't expect it from to Ben Bolch.
arizonawildcats

Alieberman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:21 pm Mick is a disaster of a human being
The most classless coach in the Pac-12.