CalStateTempe

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:21 pm Mick is a disaster of a human being
He’s an angry elf
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UCLA doesn't know what a student section is so it's understandable they were confused
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He was just asking questions:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah we're the bad guys and you never fouled. Okay Mick.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

He is such a penis. The only reason it was a "clean game" is that the refs weren't calling UCLA for all their crap in the first half. So he yaps non-stop to work the refs all game and also tries to control the post-game narrative, which certainly works with the LA fanboy media. Can you imagine what it's like to be around this guy? If you cast him in a movie about a control freak, you'd have to tone him way down, because nobody would believe somebody real could be so relentlessly cartoonish about it. He no doubt hopes his "clean" team with all those holds, arm-bars, moving screens, and back-climbing on put-backs gets the benefit of the doubt from the refs the rest of the season because he complained. And a note to Ben Bolch: Arizona fans don't rabidly hate other cities or schools regardless of whatever construct you invent. We don't like or put up with assholes, and when they get called out and shown up, they naturally don't like it. So if a school requires the people it hires and recruits to comport themselves reasonably, rather than just covering for them, they'll be treated as they deserve to be treated. Amazing how that works.
TheCatInTheHat

Final UCLA McKale Tally

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Saw some memorable games discussed leading up to yesterday, but not the final tally. So UCLA went 20-25 in Pac games at McKale Center. We went 1-5 until Lute got settled, and it was 15-24 after that. We won the first game and the last three.
pc in NM

Re: Final UCLA McKale Tally

Post by pc in NM »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:20 pm Saw some memorable games discussed leading up to yesterday, but not the final tally. So UCLA went 20-25 in Pac games at McKale Center. We went 1-5 until Lute got settled, and it was 15-24 after that. We won the first game and the last three.
Here's the wikipedia page on the rivalry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona%E ... ll_rivalry
The rivalry dates from the first games in 1923, but the true intensity of the series would not occur until the addition of Arizona to the Pac-10 in 1978. Since becoming conference foes, the game is played typically twice per season. The Wildcats and Bruins have faced off 10 times in conference tournament games.

Before the arrival of Lute Olson at Arizona, the Bruins had won 21 of 24 games against the Wildcats. UCLA had been seen as the dominant college basketball program in the west, with few teams able to challenge UCLA for the throne beyond a few wins. The rivalry did not gather steam until Lute Olson's arrival in 1984, who compiled a 28–23 record against the Bruins during his tenure as Arizona's head coach.

Since then, the two schools competed for the Pac-10 (now Pac-12) Championship every year, with the two teams winning 23 out of the 31 conference titles, and 9 of 18 conference tournament titles. Arizona clinched their first conference title in 1986, when they won on the road at UCLA in Olson's third season.[1][2] The UCLA-Arizona basketball rivalry is still seen as the match up of the two premier teams in the conference.[3] Also, the performance of the two schools influences the national opinion of the conference. Mike Montgomery, former head coach at both Cal and Stanford has stated, "...If those two are not good, the conference is not perceived as being good. People don't give credit to the schools across the board in the league."
This page includes a spreadsheet of all games.

There is also another spreadsheet of games where both teams were ranked.

Arizona & UCLA have played 35 games when both programs were ranked. UCLA holds the overall advantage 20–15.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Weakest move I can imagine is to lose somewhere, and then go with the sour grapes smear of their fans. It's the "well, at least OUR fans have some class" play. It's bullshit. Our fans don't bend over or take shit from anybody, but they're typical run-of-the-mill enthusiastic fans. Sorry UCLA's fans suck and they live in their little media bubble. Good riddance, and don't let the screen door hit you in the ass.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Well it ain't like going to a half full Maples pavilion, that's for sure. That must be what she thinks all home environments are like since that is what Pauley is most of the time. Wait till they travel to the Breslin, or Maki, or Assembly hall, or the RAC, not to mention Pinnacle Bank, you don't just walk in there. They are gonna have a rude awakening. B1G fans care about basketball just like Arizona fans do. I can't believe I rattled those off like that, no wonder I can't remember what I'm supposed to do tomorrow.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wanna bet? Just too lucrative for both schools to stop. And not getting any neutral courts between Tucson and LA. Wells Fargo and Vegas are both McKale North.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

McCronin is a...

*****Edited out by Moderator*******

Please tell me wyo-cat this was an accident spellcheck error?

This language will never be tolerated here
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'd love for Cronin to pull a K and refused to schedule us, because his days are numbered and it wont be long before he's canned anyway. But I do hope he lasts long enough to shit on Big 10 opponents about how awful their fans are. If he thinks a fan sticking out his phone is bad, just wait until he sees what other fan bases come up with.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:54 pm I'd love for Cronin to pull a K and refused to schedule us, because his days are numbered and it wont be long before he's canned anyway. But I do hope he lasts long enough to shit on Big 10 opponents about how awful their fans are. If he thinks a fan sticking out his phone is bad, just wait until he sees what other fan bases come up with.
ucla is going to STRUGGLE next season :lol:
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

My guess is that Mack will go the portal/NIL route after this year. Maybe they will just give him all of their NIL money and he will stay but I doubt it.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Is this because he is unhappy about playing time?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:23 pm Is this because he is unhappy about playing time?
No not at all. It is because he has a coach that has said he would pay about 5 minutes on an experienced team,he has a coach who has threatened the players scholarships, he has a coach who questions the teams intelligence and a coach who screams at players he chose in public. Want more reasons? He does not want to play on next years losing team, he has been in this from the start of this year for himself and will certainly benefit financially leaving and our luck he will go to Baylor or maybe come to Arizona where he can take Caleb spot.

If you want more just go read your own boards they have many more reasons.
Last edited by TheCat on Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Interesting, but it tracks. Peyton Watson would be playing 35 minutes a game on this team, but he entered a team where they returned a final four squad. Mack wouldn't get off the bench on that roster, so the comment makes sense when you understand why he said it when talking about it. Once conference play started, Mack struggled to get to the line vs better teams, but he's learned as conference play has gone on. Cronin likes experience, so he would have a lot of playing time he would be walking away from, but maybe he does. Players generally love Cronin despite it all of the noise in the press conferences though, so we will so if he is one of the guys who actually does leave on his own accord. He would be the first to leave for greener college pasture on their own accord, during Cronin's time IIRC.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:13 pm Interesting, but it tracks. Peyton Watson would be playing 35 minutes a game on this team, but he entered a team where they returned a final four squad. Mack wouldn't get off the bench on that roster, so the comment makes sense when you understand why he said it when talking about it. Once conference play started, Mack struggled to get to the line vs better teams, but he's learned as conference play has gone on. Cronin likes experience, so he would have a lot of playing time he would be walking away from, but maybe he does. Players generally love Cronin despite it all of the noise in the press conferences though, so we will so if he is one of the guys who actually does leave on his own accord. He would be the first to leave for greener college pasture on their own accord, during Cronin's time IIRC.
Yeah....whether you believe it is true why would any fn coach say that unless you were trying to justify a loss or blame a player. Mick is not a good person and it will catch up to him soon on the West Coast. I guess which team he goes to would determine his playing time, exposure and whether that team is set up to win.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

So in your mind, if he leaves it is because he doesn't want to be here unless UCLA spends all of their .money to keep him here. Have I summed it up correctly? No chance he just stays and starts next season, just because? Just trying to nail down these goalposts.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Listen he can go or stay this isn't a contest. It is my opinion. I think he has better options to showcase his talent and at the same time benefit from NIL money. His skill is as an offensive player and he plays on a offensive challenged team with a slow pace that is preferred by his coach. His coach also does not have a problem talking about players and their shortcomings but does not seem to see them in himself. Hell he beat ASU 3 nights earlier because they have 4 players get technicals and what does he do......He does the same. It provided huge momentum for Arizona being able to tie the game from the ft line and it also energized the crowd even more. I was at the game (only one I will see in person this year) and it was electric as it has always been.
If you want to nail down the goal post I suggest you start with your review of Mara and your trying to convince/lecture me what a great player he is. I could see he had huge room for improvement especially in rebounding but your advanced statistics were right on. I see a lot of potential in him still (especially a hook shot he demonstrated) but he won't see enough of the court under Mick to reach his potential.
I'm expecting a war at Pauley.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Ah, got it. It was just an Op-ed. Thank you.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:25 pm Ah, got it. It was just an Op-ed. Thank you.
Isn't anything on a message board an opinion?

It certainly wasn't a statistical dissertation that concluded that Mara was better than anyone in the PAC rebounding. How did your advance analysis serve you Mr. Bug? How about your condescending attitude? Anyone who knows anything about basketball knew that he would struggle. I guess that would exclude you and most UCLA fans. He is stiff, does not run the court well, lacks strength and he is adjusting to a new country and basketball system. He seems to have conquered his tendency to travel every time he touches the ball but that just might be his lack of playing time. Not sure. Definite 1st round material though. Appreciate the analysis and advance stat lesson.

Mack will hopefully find a school and coach that will better serve him. I expect him to do so. If Tommy felt he could use him I would welcome him to Arizona.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Oh Mr. Bug I believe this was your quote,
"I possess the ability to understand how minutes played factored into these numbers. Mara's rebounding rate, for example, is higher than Ballo's rebounding rate per minute was. You know who else had a lower rebounding rate than Mara? Zu. Math is not that hard to understand, but you have to understand the numbers you are looking at. But I'm glad we are having this educational moment and I was here to help focus you in the right direction! I feel like we are learning about advanced stats, per 36/per 40, rebounding rates, Euro Basketball Leagues, the difference between U-18, U-17, and professional Euro leagues, that FIBA is an organization, et al. Happy to help!

No Mr. Bug.....believe your eyes. He might still be out rebounding Ballo because he plays 2 mins a game and gets 1 rebound and to you that is the equivalent of 20/game. Okay clown boy time to go to your new conference where I think you guys will do okay. Please find a message board there because they need help understanding stats too.
Last edited by TheCat on Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Can we delete this thread yet? Or just rename it “Idiot Central”?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:48 am Can we delete this thread yet? Or just rename it “Idiot Central”?
Whenever it gets bad for UCLA, UCLA usually recovers and makes a Final Four. I don't want to miss all the fun things you have said over the years RC! Same with the memes about you!

Besides, you have boycotted this thread and ignored me multiple times. You can just, you know, do that instead right?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:48 am Can we delete this thread yet? Or just rename it “Idiot Central”?
I thought it was strange that I received a rash of negative rep notifications from old posts that were dug up suddenly from you, but when I went to the main page after, I saw that you did it to move ahead of me in rep, after people gave me some positive rep about my good cancer news.

Holy shit are you petty lol
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

C'mon Mick, send Dana home with a loss tonight.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

It was 23-5 Ucla and now Oregon is up 34-33
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Thanks Bruins!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Every now and then a blind pig finds an acorn.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Team seems to be gelling at the right time. Probably too late for an at large though
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:09 am Team seems to be gelling at the right time. Probably too late for an at large though
You can win the PAC Tourney. Just think this shows the Bruins can be dangerous but they need to be scoring to do this. Oregon is not known for their defense this year and were without one of their big men. Still one of the few games I was hoping for a UCLA win.

By the way Mara played I think his best game of the year. Still not a force in rebounding but can dunk and I wish he would develop that hook. Might call Lew to show him how,
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beat Stanford in Maples tonight. They've definitely figured some things out. They will be a tough out in Pauley
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Stanford shot 23% from 3 and UCLA 44% . That is all you need to know. UCLA also had many more ft which they were able to hit. Big victory for UCLA.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Lazar, Mack, Andrews, and Bona seems to have figured things out together. Really need to get a top 4 finish in the P12 to avoid 4 games in 4 days.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

https://x.com/UCLAMBB/status/1755464880453525668?s=20

Wish he would have played one more year, but can't fault a guy for chasing his dreams.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

They in a closet? He wasn't going to play in the NBA but chasing his academic passion will serve him for a lifetime. We have a women basketball player that is doing as much and although she was a high rated recruit that passion will keep with her for a lifetime.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Now that's a flagrant 2
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

In what world is that borderline?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Merkin wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:45 pm In what world is that borderline?
In Mick Cronin's world.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Down goes UCLA
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Calling a timeout with 6.6 seconds left was stupid. Gave Utah time to draw up a winning play. Didn't go exactly as planned, but they were still prepared.

I'm sure Cronin will still blame everyone under the sun in his presser.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Brutal finish for UCLA. The Mack ejection hurts most of all, but I guess Vegas knew we'd struggle in this game.

Tony Padilla can EaD. Oh Hi RC97!
Last edited by MrBug708 on Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 pm
In Mick Cronin's world.
Mick: Look what his throat did to Sebastian's elbow!

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Mick messed this one up with the final TO. Just a mistake to allow Utah to set up a play. They were still lucky to score but that play doesn't happen without a TO. Mack was just an idiot but he is a freshman and will learn. The other significant factor in this is Bona. Just not a smart player. He is a difference maker for that team and he can't understand that means he can let one go to preserve a foul. Bruins played good but Utah had not won a conference road game in over a year. Still can't understand why Utah can't shoot a free throw.

Let's see who Mick blames tonight.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

That play shouldn't have happened WITH a TO either lol
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

If UCLA can keep this core together, they will be pretty solid next year.

What was Mack thinking?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:34 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:04 pm
In Mick Cronin's world.
Mick: Look what his throat did to Sebastian's elbow!
I watched his post-game presser. "IF he did it, it was a dumb foul." I'm sick of dirty coaches who recruit dirty players who then coach them up dirty and claim they "haven't looked at the tape yet" to avoid the obvious issue. Then sports writers who aren't completely in the bag might ask the question: "Considering the obvious pre-meditation against the other team's star player and the dangerous nature of a potentially swollen and blocked trachea, are you planning any more disciplinary action?" The refs should just walk over with a tablet in real time and confront him with it. He's a bullshit little man with bullshit little man disease. And the LA media actually have the nerve to talk about "the Utah bullies", and how Branden Carlson was only out of the game for three minutes, so like, obviously it couldn't have been that big a deal. What worms.