UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Is there an ultra fast acting Imodium?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Condoms can still lose. I just know it!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

That's a shame.

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

84Cat wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:29 pm
WTF....did this guy really believe the Bruins were getting in the tourney without winning the PAC (which I think they have a chance at). That guy is stupid and a homer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m truly going to miss this angry midget who never takes responsibility or the blame for anything.
Quick follow up question there Mick… uh, who is responsible for the players practicing the right way? Surely it isn’t the guy being paid millions to coach them, right?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Ok, so to be fair, pre USC they won 6 of the last 7. They were 14-12 overall. They have us and Wazzu on the schedule, two more quad 1 games in their remaining 5. If they would have won out, including vs USC, they could have gone into pac 12 tourney at 19-12, win 2 more and lose to us or Wazzu in the final, 21-13 probly with a win over us or Wazzu in the semis of the pac 12 tourney and a decent win in the quarters unless OSU or USC played spoiler to the 5 or 6 seed.
I don't know, there'd probly be some buzz around the tourney hopes for UCLA with that resume.

However, this has been an exercise in futility.

Have fun in Louisville or Columbus Mick!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:15 am I’m truly going to miss this angry midget who never takes responsibility or the blame for anything.
What do you mean? He's 6'3' and 215 lbs!
Chicat wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:15 amQuick follow up question there Mick… uh, who is responsible for the players practicing the right way? Surely it isn’t the guy being paid millions to coach them, right?
It's Alford's fault. The players only practiced well for a several weeks because they knew Mick was gonna be their coach next year.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We talkin' 'bout practice?

One of the dumbest things I have ever heard a coach say. That's his freaking job.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We went from the Pyramid of Success to…

Mick - “You’re not practicing the right way.”

Player - “Sorry coach, what can we do better?”

Mick - “You sad sacks of shit are going to lose Saturday.”

Player - “Anything we can do to get better?”

Mick - “Go back in time and unfuck your mother so you had never been born.”

Player - “Coach, we want to get better. What can we do differently?”

Mick - “Throw yourself on a tire fire.”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:15 am I’m truly going to miss this angry midget who never takes responsibility or the blame for anything.
Quick follow up question there Mick… uh, who is responsible for the players practicing the right way? Surely it isn’t the guy being paid millions to coach them, right?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:35 am Ok, so to be fair, pre USC they won 6 of the last 7. They were 14-12 overall. They have us and Wazzu on the schedule, two more quad 1 games in their remaining 5. If they would have won out, including vs USC, they could have gone into pac 12 tourney at 19-12, win 2 more and lose to us or Wazzu in the final, 21-13 probly with a win over us or Wazzu in the semis of the pac 12 tourney and a decent win in the quarters unless OSU or USC played spoiler to the 5 or 6 seed.
I don't know, there'd probly be some buzz around the tourney hopes for UCLA with that resume.

Yeah, they were probably eliminated after that loss to USC, slim as the prior margin probably was. Andrews was completely awful yesterday. For some reason, Mick can outcoach almost anyone, but Andy Enfield just has his number. It's baffling.

Tournament or bust.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:04 pm
Hallelujah! He has seen the light!

Still wouldn’t want Rumpelstiltskin as my coach but you do you Bug.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Chicat wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:18 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:04 pm
Hallelujah! He has seen the light!

Still wouldn’t want Rumpelstiltskin as my coach but you do you Bug.
Sounds like Bolch was fantasising about what he thought Cronin should have said.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:08 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:35 am Ok, so to be fair, pre USC they won 6 of the last 7. They were 14-12 overall. They have us and Wazzu on the schedule, two more quad 1 games in their remaining 5. If they would have won out, including vs USC, they could have gone into pac 12 tourney at 19-12, win 2 more and lose to us or Wazzu in the final, 21-13 probly with a win over us or Wazzu in the semis of the pac 12 tourney and a decent win in the quarters unless OSU or USC played spoiler to the 5 or 6 seed.

Yeah, they were probably eliminated after that loss to USC, slim as the prior margin probably was. Andrews was completely awful yesterday. For some reason, Mick can outcoach almost anyone, but Andy Enfield just has his number. It's baffling.

Tournament or bust.
Please tell me you know more about basketball then that. You are MF'n 112 in the NET and have no quad 1 wins and you think you had a chance to make the tourney without winning the PAC12 tourney? You can still get in but you are going to have to win the tourney and then it is probably as a 13 seed.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

On the game against USC. First the good news. I think that was Mara's best game as a bruin. His hook is improving and that shot could be unstoppable if he gets stronger and is not knock of his base so easily. The second half was the most turnovers I have ever seen from a bruin team. Their shooting which had been much improved is regressing to the mean and not sure why Mick seems to be encouraging outside shooting just because SC is not good at guarding it. If you can't hit them why encourage them to shoot it.
Bona is just not a very smart player and honestly not as good a rebounder as he should be. Great shot blocker and hustles but he just needs to understand his value to the team. He gives the whole team more confidence but he only plays half a game. I won't blame this on Mick because I'm sure they have told him.
I think Mick could take a few coaching tips from Tommy. Ariz brought back 18 % of their scoring and is second in the country in points per game. Pelle and Boz were off the bench and the only starter was Omar. That is finding the right pieces for your style of play. Just wish a couple more of the guys were getting a little more time.
Arizona is having troubles of its own and the game against the Bruins and Ducks are both going to be very difficult if we can't find a little more balance in scoring and keep KJ on the floor. Was more concerned in the Washington game than I was in the WSU game. Just not keeping focus at times.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

There once was a coach from LA,
Whose playbook went quite astray.
UCLA's hopes took a dive,
With each dribble, they'd strive,
But the strategy just dribbled away!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

3 point defense is getting thrashed.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

There's still a ton of time, Bug. Mick is like Gargantua: time slows way down around him.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Did Mick really get T'd up 20 seconds into the game?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:53 pm Did Mick really get T'd up 20 seconds into the game?
4 fouls were called in the first 20 seconds. Hope the Bruins liked the refs because they are from their new conference.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I have watched a ton of Bruin games and can not understand Mick's rotation.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Love the trolling here by Luke.
Sure going to miss Mick and UCLA in the same conference. At least we still have Bobby.
Last edited by Merkin on Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:57 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:53 pm Did Mick really get T'd up 20 seconds into the game?
4 fouls were called in the first 20 seconds. Hope the Bruins liked the refs because they are from their new conference.
Did UCLA get moved to the B12 and I missed it? They primary work the Big-12, but refs aren't assigned conference, they often work a regional area. Why they worked this game, who knows.
Last edited by MrBug708 on Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Cronin. 4th string coach. 4th tier team.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Cronin will make friends in the Big 10 fast with that kind of whining. I guess we should expect him to file weekly reports about the calls?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine this thread will go on for a very long time and hopefully Bug still stops by.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

This is why I think Mick is a little bitch:

From Ben Bolch on X:

Mick Cronin: "That wasn’t a Mick Cronin team out there tonight, so frustrating. We looked soft all night, so very, very frustrated."

Haven’t transcribed yet, but in a nutshell Mick Cronin told his players he was trying to find out which of them he could build around going forward, meaning these final games are de facto tryouts to see who will be on the roster next season.

Mick Cronin on his report about one official: "It needs to be done because what happened is utterly ridiculous. He made it personal when I asked about the first foul, he made it personal, and immediately called two fouls on us that were not fouls on us just to spite me."

Mick Cronin: "I’m trying to figure out who I can build a program with–that’s what I told them. You can’t build a program with guys that won’t fight."

Hear some yelling from inside the UCLA locker room.

So if my kid was in that program I would simply tell him you got the best four years of your life ahead of you in college. Where do you want to spend it? If it is with Mick... no bitching about that as you know what you are getting into or if you think you made a mistake let's find you a university that is a better fit. Mick has a lot of balls threatening kids about their scholarships. What should happen is the UCLA leadership should say to him you got till the end of the season to prove you can connect with student athletes, have some sideline decorum and this is now not about wins and loses but demonstrating you are the person we can build around. Then we will see the little bitch run off to Louisville after his "scholarship" was threatened.

This team has the pieces but can't fit them together in a cohesive way.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

If I was UCLA, I would call Kyle Smith's agent and see if there was any interest. No kid should be subject to this asshole. What the fuck has Mick achieved in life to leave a program in his hands
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merkin wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:18 am I imagine this thread will go on for a very long time and hopefully Bug still stops by.
I'll still stick around. What other purpose will RC97 have other than to give me neg rep and try to extract positive rep from everyone else by whoring out his own positive rep to every single person in hopes of reciprocity? haha
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

84Cat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:18 am If I was UCLA, I would call Kyle Smith's agent and see if there was any interest. No kid should be subject to this asshole. What the fuck has Mick achieved in life to leave a program in his hands
Agree completely.

I could be wrong, but watching ucla play UW last night I got the impression that a number of the ucla players have flat out quit/given up on Cronin & the season. I expect an exodus of players from the ucla program once the season ends. It can't be fun getting screamed at every day and then publicly insulted/humiliated by your own coach.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

After the season, I think they'll turn their roster over big time. But, it's probably wishful thinking hoping for a complete collapse or player revolt. They may be down to four games in their season, and the players want to look good, even if it's for somebody else to play for next year. Baldy just needs the right refs at home that he can scream at to let his players get away with all the off-ball fouling crap he coaches, and for his players to have a hot night hitting long bombs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If memory serves, Cronin's buyout is the precise opposite of his stature: enormous.

The reign of terror in Westwood has only just begun.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Just to clarify, my intention about players auditioning is assuming a mass exodus to the transfer portal to shop themselves around, not particularly a new UCLA coach. Didn't realize UCLA was dumb enough to give him such a big contract. Considering how other teams and sports are treated, it's kind of amazing to me how much of a pass he seems to get, particularly considering his behavior. Recent LA Times sports headlines:

o Beyond the screaming, there’s a (winning) method to Mick Cronin’s madness at UCLA
o Mick Cronin makes his last-ditch effort to try to salvage UCLA’s season
o After ‘embarrassing’ loss, UCLA’s Mick Cronin takes solace in friend who doesn’t bark back
(It's his frickin' dog...usually the last-ditch PR move.)
o Fed up after another UCLA loss, Mick Cronin delivers stern warning to his players

So, it's all on the lazy stupid players, not the coach who recruited and coaches them. Complete ass-kissers.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Just sad for the kids that decide to leave. UCLA was probably their dream school.

He has got a hell of alot of talent on that team but they are completely predictable and it does not look like they are playing with any joy at all. For example who did not know Mack was going to take the last shot of the half so all Washington did was block it down their throats when he went 1 on 3. Play / shot was so predictable it had NO CHANCE at all.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:15 pm Just to clarify, my intention about players auditioning is assuming a mass exodus to the transfer portal to shop themselves around, not particularly a new UCLA coach. Didn't realize UCLA was dumb enough to give him such a big contract. Considering how other teams and sports are treated, it's kind of amazing to me how much of a pass he seems to get, particularly considering his behavior. Recent LA Times sports headlines:

o Beyond the screaming, there’s a (winning) method to Mick Cronin’s madness at UCLA
o Mick Cronin makes his last-ditch effort to try to salvage UCLA’s season
o After ‘embarrassing’ loss, UCLA’s Mick Cronin takes solace in friend who doesn’t bark back
(It's his frickin' dog...usually the last-ditch PR move.)
o Fed up after another UCLA loss, Mick Cronin delivers stern warning to his players

So, it's all on the lazy stupid players, not the coach who recruited and coaches them. Complete ass-kissers.
I think Mick has realized that he grossly miscalculated with the Euros. He has admitted as much that he missed evaluated the players and if they want play next year, they will need to show they can/want to play at this level. He's good about self-reflecting on his own coaching and knows the buck stops with him. Should he be so brutally honest in the pressers? Probably not, but he's saying what TheCat said last year about the Euros, they might not be ready to handle the league. Final Four runs get a pass, but it can only buy so much good will. He probably can't afford another season like the one he is having, so I expect him to be so cavalier about turning away transfers that want to come in.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I can’t imagine any quality guys choosing to transfer in the portal to play for Cronin.

That added to moving to much better competition in the Big 10…. UCLA is going to have a much worse year next year with f they keep him
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't imagine any booster coming up with this money. Guess we will see April 1, 2024.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... ol-coaches

The buyout would be $24 million through March 31, 2023; $20 million through March 31, 2024; $16 million through March 31, 2025; $10 million through March 31, 2026; $6 million through March 31, 2027; and $2 million through March 31, 2028.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:14 pm I can’t imagine any quality guys choosing to transfer in the portal to play for Cronin.
If a recruit ever cited their family atmosphere as a reason to commit I might snarf my Woodford Reserve.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The Euros have a ton of value. That one forward (begins with a B) plays hard and has size and has a pretty good shot. Mara at least is starting to come around but lacks strength but if he develops that hook shot he could be unstoppable. They can develop into good players but neither gets the time on the court to develop. I get it that it is a win now world but the bruins aren't playing for much and it is time for them to get a few more minutes and to be allowed to make a few mistakes w/o getting pulled.
Arizona has a few Euros that I wish were getting more time but the circumstances are different. Arizona is playing to win the conference and a high seed. The pressure is different and the rewards are different. Still I wish early on they were getting more time but I also understand that Arizona was only bringing one starter back and the "starters" needed time together. Still I believe it hurt their development because there is nothing like being in the fire to develop.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:14 pm I can’t imagine any quality guys choosing to transfer in the portal to play for Cronin.

That added to moving to much better competition in the Big 10…. UCLA is going to have a much worse year next year with f they keep him
The guys that play for him love him. They usually cite a close knit, family atmosphere :D
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:11 pm

The guys that play for him love him. They usually cite a close knit, family atmosphere :D
I wonder if this group feels the same. We will see but a couple of them will be in demand if they want to hit in the portal. Bona for the first time in a long time actually went after boards against Washington. That was a positive. Bruins got talent. See if they can put it together in the next 2 weeks and end on a high note.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Thanks fer nuthinn' Mick. If yer gonna lose at least have an aneurysm.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

The flagrant was a stupid call but I don't think it would have mattered anyways
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I wonder if the PAC-2 has a personal stake in ensuring WSU wins the conference this year?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Man Bug I just can't imagine watching those guys on offense for the foreseeable future. There is no real flow to your games. It is Bona down low or it is an ISO play for Mack or Andrews. They are always difficult shots if Bona isn't overpowering someone.

The level 2 foul was a foul but not level 2. That might have been a normal foul and there is no way that guy should have been tossed.

What I saw was a team that held its poise and played like a true team vs a lot of iso ball. UCLA has a good team they just need to play with movement and shots will open up. Mack reminds me of a young James Harden in the way he drives. Andrews has a nice shot but he is always required to get his own and nothing after a pass to an open shooter. How many assists did you have against the Cougs? I remember a handful at most.

Next week will be hard for us as it always is playing the Bruins. Hope we win. USC is actually starting to play basketball so that will be another tough one. Hope we win the PAC but if we don't the loss against OState is what killed us and the fact that the Cougs were a better team.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Does Cronin actually survive as uclan coach after this season???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

pc in NM wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:39 am Does Cronin actually survive as uclan coach after this season???
Of course. Buy out to big and UCLA is always slow to pull the trigger. Would not want to see WSU coach there. The real coach they should go far is BYU's. His religious beliefs wont be acceptable but the guy can coach.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:19 pm
pc in NM wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:39 am Does Cronin actually survive as uclan coach after this season???
Of course. Buy out to big and UCLA is always slow to pull the trigger. Would not want to see WSU coach there. The real coach they should go far is BYU's. His religious beliefs wont be acceptable but the guy can coach.
I'm not sure why anyone would think ucla could get their top choice with the next hire. Not even Alford was their top choice.