Re: Looks like Rick Pitino has coached his last game

Post by PHXCATS »

Sounds like Arizona is one of the only clean programs
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Sounds like Arizona is one of the only clean programs
In all reality, I hope that Arizona is clean (given that recruiting is a dirty business). There's a certain amount of sleaze inherent in the process if you do it well.

Louisville basically paying for prostitution is a little much even by recruiting standards. Most schools just find ladies who don't get paid.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
In all reality, I hope that Arizona is clean (given that recruiting is a dirty business). There's a certain amount of sleaze inherent in the process if you do it well.

Louisville basically paying for prostitution is a little much even by recruiting standards. Most schools just find ladies who don't get paid.
There is no way Arizona is 100% "clean", but there are varying levels to that designation. I know we aren't getting prostitutes or providing fake no-show classes. But as we have all seen, all it takes is a free piece of pizza to get the NCAA to crawl up your ass if they want to.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

There is no way Arizona is 100% "clean", but there are varying levels to that designation. I know we aren't getting prostitutes or providing fake no-show classes. But as we have all seen, all it takes is a free piece of pizza to get the NCAA to crawl up your ass if they want to.
If you have a top ten recruiting class, I doubt you are 100% clean. There are too many people and too many rules involved.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe we should ask that guy Basnight :D
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If you have a top ten recruiting class, I doubt you are 100% clean. There are too many people and too many rules involved.
Yep. I absolutely don't​ think that Arizona under Miller is 100% squeaky clean and has always followed every NCAA rule. But I think we're as close as is can be reasonably expected.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I guarantee you Miller bends the rules. Dude played in the Big East when you had a million teams within a small radius stabbing each other over the next Chris Mullin. It's a dirty game and with only a couple exceptions, you have to play dirty to succeed at it. I just don't think he is doing the REALLY shady stuff.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Looking back at this post...well, those were simpler days.

No matter how bad it gets, we can always look down on Rick Pitino. What a hypocritical dirtbag.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Looking back at this post...well, those were simpler days.

No matter how bad it gets, we can always look down on Rick Pitino. What a hypocritical dirtbag.
Didn't you hear? He's as shocked as the rest of us. :roll:

I really did believe what I wrote above ... right up until this morning. Now I don't know, and I don't believe anything I've been told in the past.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I can say that I doubt we are worse than the norm. If you read the complaint, the other assistants were pulling the same stuff, but not landing the classes we were. Shoot, if the rumors are true, Bowen was 100k to Louisville.

But I also think the norm is pretty bad. It does shock me that it might have been coming directly from Book. I sort of assumed there would be a level of separation with the actual coaches.

There's part of me that wonders if Book wasn't just shaking this guy down for more money in personal use. What was the dude gonna do, call the cops because his bribe was misused? Who knows?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I can say that I doubt we are worse than the norm. If you read the complaint, the other assistants were pulling the same stuff, but not landing the classes we were. Shoot, if the rumors are true, Bowen was 100k to Louisville.

But I also think the norm is pretty bad. It does shock me that it might have been coming directly from Book. I sort of assumed there would be a level of separation with the actual coaches.

There's part of me that wonders if Book wasn't just shaking this guy down for more money in personal use. What was the dude gonna do, call the cops because his bribe was misused? Who knows?
When Book met one of the local fansite operators for the first time way back when, he asked to borrow $40. He was making like $150k at the time. I'm guessing he was pocketing stacks of cash.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I can say that I doubt we are worse than the norm. If you read the complaint, the other assistants were pulling the same stuff, but not landing the classes we were. Shoot, if the rumors are true, Bowen was 100k to Louisville.

When Book met one of the local fansite operators for the first time way back when, he asked to borrow $40. He was making like $150k at the time. I'm guessing he was pocketing stacks of cash.
This all reeks of a lot of personal greed. The contact with that agency...he was selling out his future and potentially the program and other coaches for sub $5,000 chunks.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

This morning Pitino told members of his coaching staff that he expects he's going to lose his job, that he "knows it's coming."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SCCats wrote: that he "knows it's coming."
Think he knew in about 15 seconds? :D
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Try the meatloaf right merk? Lol
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Winning a title isn't enough to keep your job, wonder what happens to the programs who havent?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:Winning a title isn't enough to keep your job, wonder what happens to the programs who havent?
Are these hypothetical programs on NCAA probation for prostitutes? That's an important variable.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I suppose if the program in question has been slapped with regards to violations lately, sure. It takes a lot to topple a coach and AD
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:I suppose if the program in question has been slapped with regards to violations lately, sure. It takes a lot to topple a coach and AD
Louisville has to be thinking they will be lately to duck the death penalty. They already were banned from the postseason and restricting acholarships when this happened. What other punishments are there short of the death penalty?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Mostly dead penalty (bad Princess Bride joke).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

A quote from Pitino when he signed Brian Bowen:

“But they had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotels, pay for their meals. So we spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I saw him play. In my 40-some-odd years of coaching, this is the luckiest I’ve been."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.diehar ... -quote/amp" target="_blank

This scandal is a gold mine for a lover of dark humor.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Don’t you just hate when that happens?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote: Don’t you just hate when that happens?

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Don’t you just hate when that happens?
That's a bold move, Cotton, we'll see if it pays off.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

might turn into a class action suit LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I hope part of adidas's defense is that it is impossible for Pitino's reputation to be sullied after the prostitution and impregnating someone on a table.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wow...well no one can't say that Pitino doesn't play for keeps!

That's what makes him a champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

In case anyone forgot:

Pitino sad he did not plan on having sex with Sypher but he didn’t protest. She asked if he had a condom and he said, “I don’t carry condoms.” Sypher tells Pitino she is fertile. Rick testifies, “she told me her husband looked at her 4 times and she got pregnant and I pulled out”. Defense attorney asks how could she have become pregnant then if he did not ejaculate. Pitino testifies, “I did, down my leg.” Pitino said entire sexual encounter with Sypher “took less than 15 seconds”. Pitino then testifies that “it is physically possible” he could have gotten her pregnant but declines to go further. Thankfully topic ends. 
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dick Vitale on how Rick Pitino should get another chance:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washin ... -one-more/" target="_blank

No shocker that Vitale is leading the Pitino PR charge. By the way, the fact the article was written by "Matt Bonesteel" is awesome.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Holy hell. What a sewer. From taxpayer-funded Yum Center to Adidas. When sports means TOO much.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id ... ges-excess" target="_blank
Out of 125 FBS schools required to report financial data to the U.S. Department of Education, Louisville is the only one that derives more than half of its men's sports revenue from basketball, says Jonathan Jensen, a sports marketing professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Much of that revenue comes from a $238 million taxpayer-funded arena, the KFC Yum Center, which opened downtown in 2010 and has become a heavy burden on taxpayers. The lease was negotiated by Jurich and the arena authority. Under the terms, taxpayer contributions make up 75 percent of the arena's operating income while Louisville gets to keep most of the revenue -- an arrangement that "blew our mind," says state auditor Mike Harmon, whose office examined the arena's finances. "It was like, 'This is ridiculous.' It's like co-signing the loan for a friend's home and then having to pay three-fourths of the mortgage."

Denis Frankenberger, a local businessman who has dissected the lease in minute detail, calls it "the biggest taxpayer scandal in the history of Louisville."
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Rumor is that Pitino's wife is looking at homes in Tucson...

... rent to be paid by FBI Witness Protection Program
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It shocks me this is even before they factor in the FBI allegations. Damn.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:
Just add an (vacated) asterisk.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »