Suck it, Bobby Hurley

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Suck it, Bobby Hurley

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:34 am The truth is we would all be complaining if that was an Arizona player at the end of the game. What people forget is ASU would not have had the ball except for a tight call against Arizona on a screen. Ariz St. should take responsibility for the fact that their player's mimic their coach and whine instead of sprinting back to leave Tubs unguarded. Bobbi this aint Duke. Not all calls are going your way.
Although literally most of them did until that point.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCat wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:34 am The truth is we would all be complaining if that was an Arizona player at the end of the game.
I’d be complaining about going 1 on 4 with too much time on the clock then flopping around on the court like an idiot instead of getting up and playing defense. I’d also be complaining about the empty possessions when we had the lead and how disorganized our offense and defense looked the whole game.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:09 am
TheCat wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:34 am The truth is we would all be complaining if that was an Arizona player at the end of the game.
I’d be complaining about going 1 on 4 with too much time on the clock then flopping around on the court like an idiot instead of getting up and playing defense. I’d also be complaining about the empty possessions when we had the lead and how disorganized our offense and defense looked the whole game.
Also the fact that Tubelis went untouched from net to net after blocking the shot. Along with Remy flopping on the floor like a fish out of water instead of getting up and getting back on defense. That's what Hurley should have been complaining about. Lute sure would have and Miller too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Amazing that Bobby’s message to his team is “don’t worry about making a good basketball play, make the refs bail you out instead”.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

If they would have called that foul and we would have lost the game, we would all still be complaining about the officiating in the second half which seemed very one sided except for about 2 calls/no calls that I thought we benefited from. The way koloko fouled out was horrible. Thought he got hooked and pulled into a foul. Remy was at the line constantly for ticky tacky bs.

Here's a new one, I wish this game would have been on pac 12 because I have it on sling and they'd replay that game a bunch and I could have probably watched it three times since Thursday to see if I was just emotional because we were losing ground or if it was that bad.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:09 am Here's a new one, I wish this game would have been on pac 12 because I have it on sling and they'd replay that game a bunch and I could have probably watched it three times since Thursday to see if I was just emotional because we were losing ground or if it was that bad.
You get free 10 hours of DVR on Sling.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The truth is a Sean Miller Coached team would rather play for OT than to give his opponent a chance to win the game.

This was STUPID coaching giving AZ a chance to win the game in regulation
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:09 am If they would have called that foul and we would have lost the game, we would all still be complaining about the officiating in the second half which seemed very one sided except for about 2 calls/no calls that I thought we benefited from. The way koloko fouled out was horrible. Thought he got hooked and pulled into a foul. Remy was at the line constantly for ticky tacky bs.

Here's a new one, I wish this game would have been on pac 12 because I have it on sling and they'd replay that game a bunch and I could have probably watched it three times since Thursday to see if I was just emotional because we were losing ground or if it was that bad.
You can watch extended highlights on Youtube

https://youtu.be/N_Y7vLkHQLI
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

A 50/50 call, at best, with 10 seconds left? No. I'm not complaining if a no-call goes against us in this situation. Let the players decide the game, not the refs. Tubelis did hit the arm, but did he hit the ball first? If you can't definitively say no, then this isn't a cut and dry foul. And certainly shouldn't be a call that could decide a game.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

After last night's loss (to us):

"ASU's season is wild. Bobby Hurley goes and get two top 40 guys, one of the best players in the conference comes back, people pick them as top two in the Pac-12. Hurley is going to take a big hit after this season in terms of rep and recruiting."

https://twitter.com/JasonScheer/status/ ... 1880815616
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:09 am I wish this game would have been on pac 12 because I have it on sling and they'd replay that game a bunch and I could have probably watched it three times since Thursday to see if I was just emotional because we were losing ground or if it was that bad.
The encore replay of the game at Tempe is on P12A tonight (Tuesday) at 7 pm MST. The game from last night at McKale is on P12A on Thursday at 7 pm MST. (Kind of a pre-game show for the Stanford game.)
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That team looked like it had little interest in being in Tucson or playing last night. They just ran down the court and threw up a shot. So poorly prepared.

That’s in contrast to Miller having our guys razor sharp and ready
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Dude isnt a good coach and his system is smoke and mirrors. Its almost like the only thing he took from K at Duke was to spread the floor. His teams consistently take terrible shots, go through extended runs of horrible defense and little effort, and he looks like he has little control over what happens on the floor.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

It's clear ASU players have adopted the style of playing to the officials instead of the opponent. Last night was so evident as Remy Martin repeatedly initiated contact -- only Arizona players have wised up a bit and were more disciplined -- and Martin didn't get many of the calls against physically superior players. It was comical to watch Martin trying to get up under Arizona players on his drives and then immediately look to the officials when they didn't bail him out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So did Whiny Baby Bobby tell the press they deserved to win last night?

:lol:
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Frankly, I've had it with Hurley's antics. The bug-eyed astonishment, anguish and outrage at every call that goes against him is like some high school girl being informed she's getting a C because she turned in an essay a week late. He seems to have it pretty much established with league officials that if he screams without the running around and wild gestures, and just stands there making his little face and turning red, it's not a technical. Their players are clearly coached to go hunting for cheap fouls and cheap points, and then they fail to make plays due to working the refs. It may be time for him to take his act elsewhere. He can't seem to stockpile quality bigs, other than the occasional one-and-done stretch four. I think he figured he'd make a splash in Tempe and stay there until K retired, then take a shot at Duke, where he might do okay with the Duke name to recruit to. But I think his overall losing record in the rivalry and lack of penetration in the tourney over six years would give them some serious pause. He'll probably get a mulligan for this year, although the face-plant after all the hype never plays well. I assume he also knows he probably has to face life after Remy. He'll probably hang on for dear life and be back for another year, but if he was to ever get fired at an ASU, that's no way to get to a Duke.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TucsonClip wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:36 am Dude isnt a good coach and his system is smoke and mirrors. Its almost like the only thing he took from K at Duke was to spread the floor. His teams consistently take terrible shots, go through extended runs of horrible defense and little effort, and he looks like he has little control over what happens on the floor.
This.

Kinda think he won't be in Tempe much longer.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

zonagrad wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:47 am It's clear ASU players have adopted the style of playing to the officials instead of the opponent. Last night was so evident as Remy Martin repeatedly initiated contact -- only Arizona players have wised up a bit and were more disciplined -- and Martin didn't get many of the calls against physically superior players. It was comical to watch Martin trying to get up under Arizona players on his drives and then immediately look to the officials when they didn't bail him out.
IIRC that's how Hurley played at Duke.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Watching Remy is like watching Kermit the Frog play basketball. He puts up a shot and all four limbs go crazy to try and initiate contact and get a foul called. It's bad enough when James Harden does this, but at least most of Harden's flails don't make him look like a Muppet. But he too has his moments.

As for ASu, they miss Romello White. Without him, ASu is a donut team with nothing in the middle. White used to be able to score in double digits without any plays run for him by simply being ready to get the ball near the rim, and rebound put-backs. White also was great at clearing the defensive board and starting the break. Without this kind of player, Arizona dared ASu to shoot from 3, knowing that if it missed, the rebound was ours, we could start the break, and could likely finish without much resistance. That was the first half in a nutshell. ASu went something like 1-8 from 3, and we outrebounded them and scored easily on the other end, building a huge lead.

Without a guy doing dirty work down low, ASu needs to shoot over 50% from the floor and 40% from three, and create turnovers to win. Don't shoot well or get steals, and it's a struggle, because ASu is going to lose the rebound battle. Last night, it was 40 to 30 in Arizona's favor. Hard to win when you lose the rebound battle by double digits.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:11 pm Watching Remy is like watching Kermit the Frog play basketball. He puts up a shot and all four limbs go crazy to try and initiate contact and get a foul called. It's bad enough when James Harden does this, but at least most of Harden's flails don't make him look like a Muppet. But he too has his moments.

As for ASu, they miss Romello White. Without him, ASu is a donut team with nothing in the middle. White used to be able to score in double digits without any plays run for him by simply being ready to get the ball near the rim, and rebound put-backs. White also was great at clearing the defensive board and starting the break. Without this kind of player, Arizona dared ASu to shoot from 3, knowing that if it missed, the rebound was ours, we could start the break, and could likely finish without much resistance. That was the first half in a nutshell. ASu went something like 1-8 from 3, and we outrebounded them and scored easily on the other end, building a huge lead.

Without a guy doing dirty work down low, ASu needs to shoot over 50% from the floor and 40% from three, and create turnovers to win. Don't shoot well or get steals, and it's a struggle, because ASu is going to lose the rebound battle. Last night, it was 40 to 30 in Arizona's favor. Hard to win when you lose the rebound battle by double digits.
So what you're saying is that Bobby Hurley sucks and ASSU will forever be a dumpster filled with diarrhea.

I can dig it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:36 am Dude isnt a good coach and his system is smoke and mirrors. Its almost like the only thing he took from K at Duke was to spread the floor. His teams consistently take terrible shots, go through extended runs of horrible defense and little effort, and he looks like he has little control over what happens on the floor.
Hurley's teams always seem to just ride a wave. When it goes well, they look good.

When they hit tough times, it doesn't seem like there's any plan. You don't see a competitive response or adjustments.

Like in 17-18 where they thought they were hot shit after beating Kansas. 12-0 start and up to #3 in the nation. Finished the regular season 8-10 and lost in the first round of the Pac tourney.

Over those 19 games, they gave up 75+ points 16 times. Hurley has one plan, spread the floor and outscore you. When that fails, there are no adjustments and no appreciable player development.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:49 pm
This.

Kinda think he won't be in Tempe much longer.
This is the best they have ever been except for the Harden years in terms of tourney and beating Arizona. His recruiting is the best it has ever been too. He will be there till he choses to leave.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Why would ASU get rid of Bobby? Who else could they get that would be better?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:32 pm Why would ASU get rid of Bobby? Who else could they get that would be better?
Herb Sendek? He was closing the gap. Shay Binion's presumably available.

But yeah, it's hilarious, but this is probably the apex for ASU. Hurley has recruited better than any past ASU coach, so they probably just have to live with the rest.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Who do they have coming back next year? Josh Christopher & Marcus Bagley could potentially stay but it's doubtful both will be back. I'd be surprised if either of them are attending classes this semester. They have no recruits signed yet for next season.

I'll laugh my ass off if Jaelen House is starting for them next season.

Hurley is no doubt looking at an exit plan to "fail up" for a position somewhere back east. How much longer does Pastner have at Tech? Maybe Hurley goes to Wichita State? Jerry Stackhouse's days at Vandy are numbered.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:03 pm Who do they have coming back next year? Josh Christopher & Marcus Bagley could potentially stay but it's doubtful both will be back. I'd be surprised if either of them are attending classes this semester. They have no recruits signed yet for next season.

I'll laugh my ass off if Jaelen House is starting for them next season.

Hurley is no doubt looking at an exit plan to "fail up" for a position somewhere back east. How much longer does Pastner have at Tech? Maybe Hurley goes to Wichita State? Jerry Stackhouse's days at Vandy are numbered.
I think you're 100% right that he's going to try to leap to an ACC or other east coast job as soon as he can.

I also think it's true that ASU cannot do better than Hurley, but I just wonder if they'll decide to cut their losses at some point. They could give a shot to an up and comer and pay much less.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He can flop when there's no one with the ball. Maybe he was trying to draw a charge against a ghost.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Whoa, wasn't he like a point guard at some college somewhere? Nice footwork.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

You can't take the flop out of Dukie. It just comes natural.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

haha he got a tech for it too
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Jefe wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:40 pm haha he got a tech for it too
Coaches don't accidently get a technical. If he wasn't a jerk the way he is and acts, this wouldn't have happened. Could have lost the game for the team. Please don't fire him...

What an Ass Jack!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Scheer tweeted out his support for "nice guy" Hurley, and how tragic it is that he got so many games cancelled when this was supposedly going to be his big year. Whatever. I'm sure the very professional newspapermen at the Republic will also continue whining about his being short-handed for some of the season (just like us.) I so don't care; you play the cards you've got. His teams play a ridiculously undisciplined out-of-control style and he and his players throw tantrums like middle school girls, which reflects poorly on their institution (if that's even possible.) If they don't get hot and/or lucky from extremely long distance AND draw the right officiating crew trying to hand games to them on the free throw line while also letting them clobber the other team, they're often in trouble. By Year Six, you should be able to establish some inside game, have enough depth to overcome being occasionally short-handed, and be able to play decent defense beyond frantic full-court bumping, grabbing, and arm-hacking. It's great that he keeps his team playing hard to the final buzzer, but when the other team is just running out the clock, the act of turning it into a free throw contest to cut a 20-point deficit to 10 is just cosmetic. I get that the media gets starry-eyed at his name recognition, the occasional surprisingly big recruit, and the clown show along the sidelines to write or talk about. But I think we pretty much see what it's going to be. Maybe his approach is more entertaining, but if you look purely at wins and losses and post-season accomplishments, I don't see it being particularly any better than many of his predecessors.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

What was the tweet he deleted? I didn't see them until after it was gone and thought he got canned.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Look at the post before yours
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Scheer hates Hurley. Was he being sarcastic?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm Scheer hates Hurley. Was he being sarcastic?
No. But Doug Tammaro is the SID and really a super person. I'm guessing that's what Scheer is referring.

Doesn't change the fact that ASU was way overhyped to start the season. I don't think they've underperformed at all. I just don't think they were very good to begin with. The fact that they were picked to contend for the conference title and were nationally ranked is totally on the media. Most of those who vote don't know anything about ASU other than what they read other media people write and say. This is a team that was down 20 points at home to SDSU with three minutes to play. They lost by a dozen because they hit some shots in the final minutes to cut the deficit but the game simply wasn't close. They lost to UTEP by 13 at home and were outrebounded by 20!!!

If you followed ASU last year, it was clear they weren't anything special and were at best an NCAA bubble team. They lost a huge piece from last year with Romello White transferring to Ole Miss. He did ALL the dirty work for them: you know, interior defense, rim protection, defensive rebounding to jump start their fast break, etc... Without a veteran like White, ASU has had to rely on newcomers like Bagley who may put up decent stat lines like scoring and FG % -- but don't take care of the stuff that doesn't show up in the box score.

It was clear early in the season that unless ASU shoots it well from the perimeter they were going to struggle because they simply can't defend consistently inside. They were damn lucky to beat Grand Canyon: needed a deep baseline three pointer to avoid losing. Who else have they beaten? A banged up Stanford team is all.

They've dodged four road games so far (UW, WSU, OU & CU) so their record could be much, much worse. If you watched the Arizona game in Tempe and the following game in Tucson, it's pretty clear that ASU flat sucks and the only reason they were close in the first meeting is because of the favorable foul calls.

Hurley will get a pass on this season because of COVID, as will other coaches like Izzo, K, Cal, etc...
But even under normal circumstances ASU was never going to be anything special. Next year is huge for Hurley because he's losing Martin and possibly Bagley & Christopher. And so far there's nothing on the recruiting horizon that points to an improvement for next season. The honeymoon is over in Tempe. Some fans already recognize it. The media is way more sympathetic to Hurley than they should be. For that I have no explanation.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm Scheer hates Hurley. Was he being sarcastic?
I don't know about deleted tweets, but it's possible Scheer said something uncomplimentary about Hurley, and some ASU flack called him out on it and he may have deleted it and then wrote what I saw. But it wasn't sarcasm. The one I read from him was some kind of response to somebody that Hurley's a good guy, or words to that effect, and so are his assistant coaches, and something about how it's unfortunate that he had all of the cancelled games in what was supposed to be his big year.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

All Scheer said was that ASU is the only team who keeps letting fans in, and they're the only team that keeps getting COVID, then wondered if there was a connection. Then he got a lot of flack for that and decided to delete it.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ahh ok thanks!
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

ASu is a donut team. Even the best ever NBA team needed Dennis Rodman to guard the rim and grab rebounds. As alluded to, last year, that was White, who could get a double double any game he played without a single offensive play being run specifically for him. Without this dirty work kind of guy, ASu is losing White's put-back points and open 3's from offensive rebounds. They are also struggling to rebound and give up too many easy points on the other hand.

And really, how much better has Hurley been than Sendek? Most years, Sendek had ASu on the bubble, with 3 NIT appearances and 2 NCAA appearances in 9 years, with year 1 being a true throwaway. Hurley? Two straight NCAA and likely 3rd, but all three on the bubble. In fact, I think they should call the First Four games in Dayton the ASu Invitational.

Next year, ASu will likely be pretty bad, unless Remy comes back for his 10th year (only seems like this long), as it's likely Christopher and Bagley are gone, as they are both listed on draft boards, and Verge likely leaves too. And Hurley's resume will look even more like Sendek's at ASu.