OT - Louisvill Self-imposes post-season ban

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

OT - Louisvill Self-imposes post-season ban

Post by pc in NM »

The Louisville AD just announced that due to unspecified infractions in the BB program that it would not participate in this season's ACC or NCAA Tourneys....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Re: OT - Louisvill Self-imposes post-season ban

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Did the press conference last longer than 15 seconds?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

BA dum Ching!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Seriously, though, first, this sucks for Lee. Next, doing this the Friday before the Super Bowl, it must be bad.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

They trying to be preemptive here so it will all go away/NCAA doesn't want to kill off one of their biggest cash cows? For the hookers/strippers, one postseason ban is EXTREMELY light. Death penalty may be appropriate for something like that.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Didnt know they got 2 grad transfers, wow
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Self imposed one year is :lol:

That said the NCAA might just want to accept it if recent past is predictive. First it will take four years for the NCAA to conclude it's investigation, during which the NCAA will have had to investigate and fire it's own representative investigating Louisville for "improprieties" and then, when the punishment comes down four years from now (see: a two year reduction of a single scholarship. Everyone's response: "WTF????"), Louisville will threaten to sue and the NCAA will back off it's punishment and settle for a $5000 donation to a woman's shelter.
Last edited by SCCats on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Someone here had the scoop on why Lee went from coming to Arizona to ending up at Louisville but never revealed why. Anyone know? Absolutely sucks for him and anyone else there who at least didn't get some stripper action before they made their decision to go there.
Dave

Post by Dave »

These self-imposed post-season ban's are a complete joke. I thought these Universities were all about the student athletes. The reality is they are worried about losing all of their recruits for next year.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Dave wrote:These self-imposed post-season ban's are a complete joke. I thought these Universities were all about the student athletes. The reality is they are worried about losing all of their recruits for next year.
You're absolutely correct. Getting theoretical underage prostitutes for underage recruits should be an instantaneous firing situation if proven and Louisville is basically admitting it occurred.

But there is no morality in college sports anymore. Now I'm not sure if there really ever was that type of morality, but at least there used to be some level of embarrassment where certain actions were just too far beyond the pale to be tolerated. Now it's clear the only thing that matters is keeping the success rolling, keeping the team winning today and tomorrow and keeping the dollars flowing. Full stop.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dave wrote:These self-imposed post-season ban's are a complete joke. I thought these Universities were all about the student athletes. The reality is they are worried about losing all of their recruits for next year.
This is it. They're screwing the current players to try to be able to tell recruits sanctions are over.

Lee, I really feel bad for him. He transfers for this year and then gets hosed by something completely beyond his control. I'm starting to really intensely dislike Pitino.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think the NCAA should sue to force them to participate and then shove a microscope up their ass, find all the dirt they can, and punish those responsible next year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The whole thing is un effing real. This is worse than point shaving. I mean, how is this not the story of the decade in college sports?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Y'know, it's still been less than 10 years since the NCAA said it wasn't enough that Arizona self-reported Lute illegally giving recruits pizza.

I will not be surprised at all if the NCAA goes full hypocrite here. Nobody has ever called the infractions committee on its selective basketball punishments--certainly not compared to football--but we should all be prepared to this time, because the NCAA really wants Tom Jurich to keep his job.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
I don't see anything gross about big butts.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I think the 'filthy' request was for "girls that can squirt to the ceiling" ;-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

catgrad97 wrote:Y'know, it's still been less than 10 years since the NCAA said it wasn't enough that Arizona self-reported Lute illegally giving recruits pizza.

I will not be surprised at all if the NCAA goes full hypocrite here. Nobody has ever called the infractions committee on its selective basketball punishments--certainly not compared to football--but we should all be prepared to this time, because the NCAA really wants Tom Jurich to keep his job.
I think that, in the last ten years, you've had a complete breakdown in the "NCAA" so I'm not sure you should expect any consistency (or really anything at all) from them.

But "complete breakdown" I mean a couple separate things. First I think (for many reasons) that the NCAA no longer has any moral authority whatsoever. Second there seems to have been a breakdown of the actual enforcement apparatus (like the system of people that they actually have working on these things). Thirdly, the P5 has basically told them to F off so besides the lack of moral authority, it's not clear they have much actual authority left. Fourth we've seen instances more recently where the NCAA has tried to levy a penalty, the school has threatened to sue and the NCAA has largely backed off from their penalty.

So at this point I'm not really sure "the NCAA" isn't just vapors in our collective memory as opposed to an active, functioning thing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... season-ban" target="_blank

This interview is either complete blame shifting or utter BS (really, this is as harsh a punishment as you can think of?). Sorry, but Pitino is sleazier by the day.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Disgusting. He must think everyone is retarded. Problem is, Louisville fans and the NCAA are. We all know how this ends. Still can't believe how this is going on so quietly, you almost have to be trying it to find any news on it.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

SCCats wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Y'know, it's still been less than 10 years since the NCAA said it wasn't enough that Arizona self-reported Lute illegally giving recruits pizza.

I think that, in the last ten years, you've had a complete breakdown in the "NCAA" so I'm not sure you should expect any consistency (or really anything at all) from them.

But "complete breakdown" I mean a couple separate things. First I think (for many reasons) that the NCAA no longer has any moral authority whatsoever. Second there seems to have been a breakdown of the actual enforcement apparatus (like the system of people that they actually have working on these things). Thirdly, the P5 has basically told them to F off so besides the lack of moral authority, it's not clear they have much actual authority left. Fourth we've seen instances more recently where the NCAA has tried to levy a penalty, the school has threatened to sue and the NCAA has largely backed off from their penalty.

So at this point I'm not really sure "the NCAA" isn't just vapors in our collective memory as opposed to an active, functioning thing.
Kind of like the old CFA (College Football Association) in the 1980s?

Or the Confederacy to too many 'muricans now?

I can see that.