Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Lonzo Ball

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
At 1:15, you see where LaMelo's cherry picking genes come from.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... ball-sons/

Lavar Ball is an embarrassment.....I hope he hurts his son's draft stock as his intentions to force his son into the LA market and dealing with him will be a nightmare for any NBA team....smh.
I'm not sure a lot of NBA teams are happy to have to deal with Lavar's ****. I could easily see that making the difference if you need a PG and have Fultz or Smith also available.
I was telling a friend this the other day: Lavar is a VERY smart man. People see him as an overbearing, batshit crazy father. All he did was take a page out of the book of a man everyone said was batshit crazy and was eventually elected president. Saying crazy and outlandish shit = free publicity/free advertisement. Dude was on ESPN at least twice last week, both times wearing his "brand." He pimps out his kid but think of where that has gotten him and them. Lonzo a star no matter what, but he is light years ahead of Tatum, Jackson, Fultz, and Josh Jackson in terms of name/brand recognition. Think shoe companies notice? He just padded his son's wallet several more million dollars. While doing this, he pimps his brand, $$ for him. His next kid has no business playing at a UCLA, but guess where he is next year? And the baby is still several years shy from playing in college, also headed to UCLA, and probably has more youtube views than just about any basketball player in the world. When he steps foot on UCLAs campus, he may already be the most famous basketball player in Division 1 basketball. All the while, he continues pimping out his clothing line and whatever other "brands" he comes up with along the way. When the second son's basketball career inevitably ends without even a shot to play in the NBA, he will have a free college degree, played 4 years at a prestigious basketball program and will be handed the keys to Lavar's "brand." Oh yea, his "Laker" BS, another smart move. Scare off the Celtics and maybe 1 other team who beats the Lakers in the lottery on some Papa Elway shit, just to make sure Lonzo's "brand" is at the absolute optimum by playing in the best NBA market in the country (when you factor in side hustles, hollywood star status, etc.). And by helping Lonzo's "brand" become so popular and recognizable, NBA teams are salivating knowing how many seats he is going to fill.

So yea, everyone sees batshit crazy idiot dad taking advantage of and living off his kids. What I see, a dad that put a lot of heart, sweat and tears into making sure his children had comfortable lives as adults, and riding the best one to ensure that the ones who did not have that talent would still be eating well as adults. Unconventional, of course. But thats how I see it. I'm a diehard Celtics fan but even I can admit it, I can understand not wanting your signs star to fade away in cold-ass Boston playing fundamental team basketball for Brad Stevens.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

LaVar Ball blames white guys’ foot speed for UCLA demise

“Realistically you can’t win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow,” LaVar Ball said.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2017040 ... a-downfall
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Two thoughts:
1. Lonzo isn't exactly fast
2. Bryce, Welsh, and Leaf are all faster than Gelo
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

UAEebs86 wrote:
LaVar Ball blames white guys’ foot speed for UCLA demise

“Realistically you can’t win no championship with three white guys because the foot speed is too slow,” LaVar Ball said.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2017040 ... a-downfall
Disgustingly racist comment that should not be excused. Ever.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

MrBug708 wrote:Two thoughts:
and 3. LaVar Ball's mastery of the English Language leaves a lot to be desired. ;-).....smh.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I know it's wrong but I now dislike Lonzo Ball and hope he flames out in the NBA....All due to his mega douchebag Dad LaVar.....whose remark is wildly racist....the irony is that his kid is half-white.

Can't help it but I suspect I'm not the only one here.....Yes, I know he's not his Dad but I can't believe he's that much different from his Father (i.e.' Apple doesn't drop far from the tree..') OR at least it would be a rebuke to LaVar.....this guy is the epitome of what is wrong with some parts of American sports culture these days....on so many levels.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

co-sign.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Nah, Gelo is waaay fatter than Bryce, Welsh and Leaf.

Oh wait, did you say FASTer?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:I know it's wrong but I now dislike Lonzo Ball and hope he flames out in the NBA....All due to his mega douchebag Dad LaVar.....whose remark is wildly racist....the irony is that his kid is half-white.

Can't help it but I suspect I'm not the only one here.....Yes, I know he's not his Dad but I can't believe he's that much different from his Father (i.e.' Apple doesn't drop far from the tree..') OR at least it would be a rebuke to LaVar.....this guy is the epitome of what is wrong with some parts of American sports culture these days....on so many levels.
Stop letting him troll you. UCLA's white starting frontcourt went for 26 and 14. Kentucky's starting frontcourt went for 10 and 12.

Lonzo got torched. They lost to a better team. I'll be happy when Lavar Ball fades from the public eye.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wooden must be rolling over in his grave. Their relationship with the Ball family shows how desperate UCLA is to stay relevant. I'm so glad these guys aren't playing at AZ. The best of the three (Lonzo) went 1-2 vs. AZ, so we win.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Wooden must be rolling over in his grave. Their relationship with the Ball family shows how desperate UCLA is to stay relevant. I'm so glad these guys aren't playing at AZ. The best of the three (Lonzo) went 1-2 vs. AZ, so we win.
Look who finally found the balls to show up in a ucla thread again...lol
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

the real dill wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:I know it's wrong but I now dislike Lonzo Ball and hope he flames out in the NBA....All due to his mega douchebag Dad LaVar.....whose remark is wildly racist....the irony is that his kid is half-white.

Stop letting him troll you. UCLA's white starting frontcourt went for 26 and 14. Kentucky's starting frontcourt went for 10 and 12.

Lonzo got torched. They lost to a better team. I'll be happy when Lavar Ball fades from the public eye.
Nobody cares what larry Fitzgerald dad said. We eventually stopped listening to Richard Williams and Earl Woods, I suspect this won't be any different when Lonzo gets drafted, the other brothers turn out not as good and the boys want their dad to shut up for good. His focus is going to be on Lonzo as he will be the money maker for the family. Gelo has no income potential for Lamar and while he might not publicly acknowledge, he probably knows it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Wooden must be rolling over in his grave. Their relationship with the Ball family shows how desperate UCLA is to stay relevant. I'm so glad these guys aren't playing at AZ. The best of the three (Lonzo) went 1-2 vs. AZ, so we win.
Actually, AZ didn't need any Balls at all to beat you 2 out of 3 this year, in a year you had your best player since Baron Davis.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Actually, AZ didn't need any Balls at all to beat you 2 out of 3 this year, in a year you had your best player since Baron Davis.
Based on your thoughts about Arizona this year, Pun intended, right?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Pun intended, right?
UCLA looked straight up impotent vs. Kentucky, despite having more Balls.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
Pun intended, right?
UCLA looked straight up impotent vs. Kentucky, despite having more Balls.
Out foxed would have been a better pun but I can understand you have an obsession with genitalia.

And why are you posting. Aren't you supposed to be banned? Or did we find the one person with less credibility than Lamar Ball?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:
Out foxed would have been a better pun but I can understand you have an obsession with genitalia.

And why are you posting. Aren't you supposed to be banned? Or did we find the one person with less credibility than Lamar Ball?
Scoreboard 2 out of 3. In the year you had the only Ball that mattered. And you finished 3rd. I'll leave it at that and am done posting in this thread. Here's to many more years of the Alford era. It's about as mediocre as everyone expected.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

So you "banned" yourself from this thread? Wonder how long it will last..
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Dude you bet against Arizona, that's why you were banned. Why are you gloating?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

NYCat wrote:Dude you bet against Arizona, that's why you were banned. Why are you gloating?
Nevermind gloating that we lost to 2 seed Kentucky. I secretly think the way he phrases things are subliminal shots at arizona. Like...haha you lost to a two seed Kentucky.
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Its kinda hilarious how worked up people get about a douchebag father. You wouldnt want Lonzo on your team because of his loud mouth dad? Thats crazy. Also hilarious to see my fellow white people get so upset at this comment. Like they suddenly now care about racism in this country.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

SirClinks wrote:Its kinda hilarious how worked up people get about a douchebag father. You wouldnt want Lonzo on your team because of his loud mouth dad? Thats crazy. Also hilarious to see my fellow white people get so upset at this comment. Like they suddenly now care about racism in this country.
yeah that's my favorite part. white people are in an uproar over what he said. oh now you give a shit about racism? cool. didn't hear a peep from you when african americans are incarcerated 4x more likely for weed and shot by cops way more often.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't follow NBA at all, so the sooner the balls are out of NCAA ball, the better for the rest of us.

So glad UA doesn't have his brothers, although Lonzo at Arizona would say championship!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SirClinks wrote:Its kinda hilarious how worked up people get about a douchebag father. You wouldnt want Lonzo on your team because of his loud mouth dad? Thats crazy. Also hilarious to see my fellow white people get so upset at this comment. Like they suddenly now care about racism in this country.
I would definitely put up with Lavar to get Lonzo. I would not put up with Lavar for Liangelo and only maybe, maybe for Lamelo.

If I was Lavar, I would be worried that the bs people put up with around Lonzo is not bs people will put up with for the younger two.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

scumdevils86 wrote:
yeah that's my favorite part. white people are in an uproar over what he said. oh now you give a shit about racism? cool. didn't hear a peep from you when african americans are incarcerated 4x more likely for weed and shot by cops way more often.
A few millennial betas don't speak for "white people." Nice agenda though.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

the real dill wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
The use of the word beta is sooooo goddamn stupid.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ah yes, dill still lives in the world where racism since 1965 has only existed against whites.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

scumdevils86 wrote:ah yes, dill still lives in the world where racism since 1965 has only existed against whites.
Because I didn't find that asshat's comments racist? That makes no sense. Reading comprehension continues to evade you. If you worry about what Ball says, or what some crazy redneck in Alabama says, you should probably do some inward evaluation. Don't feed the trolls.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ASUHATER! wrote:
the real dill wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
The use of the word beta is sooooo goddamn stupid.
Too close to home? You bitch and moan all the time about "white people" like it's ok but not ok generalize black people. It's completely absurd. We get it. You hate those dirty whites.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

LaVar has Alford by The Balls!!
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Lots of good white people out there. You just have to make sure first if somebody is one of the good white people or one of the bad white people. It's when a place is crowded with whites that you have to worry. You walk in and the bad is too palpable to be offset by the good. Why do they stick together so much?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Longhorned wrote:Lots of good white people out there. You just have to make sure first if somebody is one of the good white people or one of the bad white people. It's when a place is crowded with whites that you have to worry. You walk in and the bad is too palpable to be offset by the good. Why do they stick together so much?
Realistically, its a lack of foot speed.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

LaVar is pissed because the white guys weren't quicker on their rotations when Fox blew past Lonzo time after time. If they were fast and white like The Flash, LaVar wouldn't be racist.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
I typically stay as far away from this shit as possible, but...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... vard-prof/" target="_blank
Disambiguator

Post by Disambiguator »

ChooChooCat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
I typically stay as far away from this shit as possible, but...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... vard-prof/" target="_blank
Be real careful about injecting reason, common sense, and facts into the lives of fragile souls like the butthurt brothers. It is very damaging to those that are blissfully unencumbered by the thought process, particularly if there is not a safe space nearby.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Plenty of room on the lower boards for talk on racism related arrests and police shootings.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:
LaVar is pissed because the white guys weren't quicker on their rotations when Fox blew past Lonzo time after time. If they were fast and white like The Flash, LaVar wouldn't be racist.
There's that determining factor, along with LaVar being a half-jock, half-jerk, pure blowhard.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

You know why Lonzo isnt fast, because he's half white.

/s
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In spite of my dislike of his father's media persona, I'm pretty sure I'll be a huge fan of Lonzo Ball throughout his career. Got to remember that for every player and every team you like, there are millions of wretched people you'd hate but who share your enthusiasm. Try not to think about them while you cheer on your faves. And when they lose, ease your sports depression by remembering all those a-holes who are just as depressed as you.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:You know why Lonzo isnt fast, because he's half white.
Cue the airhorn noises and thug life compilations.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:In spite of my dislike of his father's media persona, I'm pretty sure I'll be a huge fan of Lonzo Ball throughout his career. Got to remember that for every player and every team you like, there are millions of wretched people you'd hate but who share your enthusiasm. Try not to think about them while you cheer on your faves. And when they lose, ease your sports depression by remembering all those a-holes who are just as depressed as you.
Yeah I've got nothing bad to say about Lonzo personally, there are holes in his game I can poke at, but that's about it. If the Suns draft him I'll cheer for him like crazy, although I'm hoping they go with Josh Jackson personally.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ANGCatFan wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Lots of good white people out there. You just have to make sure first if somebody is one of the good white people or one of the bad white people. It's when a place is crowded with whites that you have to worry. You walk in and the bad is too palpable to be offset by the good. Why do they stick together so much?
I wish we had rep so I could give some to this reply. Very well done.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:
I wish we had rep so I could give some to this reply. Very well done.
Hit it out of the park.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Very interested in this. White people stick together more than other races stick together? I have the luxury of living in the most diverse city in America so I'm a bit confused. We have parts of town where people congregate based on likeness. We have parts of town where the street signs are in Chinese. We have parts of town where the street signs are in Spanish. Please explain. When I want Pho (which is often) I go to the Vietnamese part of town.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

the real dill wrote:
Very interested in this. White people stick together more than other races stick together? I have the luxury of living in the most diverse city in America so I'm a bit confused. We have parts of town where people congregate based on likeness. We have parts of town where the street signs are in Chinese. We have parts of town where the street signs are in Spanish. Please explain. When I want Pho (which is often) I go to the Vietnamese part of town.
I have no comparative data on homogeneity rates in ethnic groups. I was satirizing what white people have said to me as a fellow white person about other ethnic groups, but I substituted "white people" for the groups referenced. I heard that narrative growing up, but also recently, from an old friend's roommate, who was explaining why he didn't want to come into a bar with us because he saw through the windows that everyone inside was black. I stand by that quote as fully applicable to white people.

My own racism is something I observe when I have certain thoughts, and I find myself beholding those thoughts like somebody who meditates, and starts to observe his own breathing consciously. I don't know how frequently I think or do something borne of ignorant stereotypes that are potentially harmful if acted upon, but it seems often enough. But what's interesting to me is that my thoughts about racial identity started to turn to white people as Trump's campaign gathered more and more steam. I do look at white people and measure them up as either a "good" white or a "bad" white, and catch myself wondering if maybe such-and-such person might have voted for Trump. Those thoughts play off some pretty shallow things, like how somebody dresses or wears his hair, or what he drives. Even if I don't see a person at all, but just a parked Dodge Charger, I catch myself stereotyping its missing driver. To me it's just like any other racist thought I've ever had, but it's now directed at whites.

I live in a largely black neighborhood, and I got nervous when I saw whites come by with their realtors to look at the next door house for sale. When a black family moved in, I was relieved.

I don't know if I'm the only one here whose mind falls into these prejudicial patterns on its own while I'm doing something else.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
the real dill wrote:
I have no comparative data on homogeneity rates in ethnic groups. I was satirizing what white people have said to me as a fellow white person about other ethnic groups, but I substituted "white people" for the groups referenced. I heard that narrative growing up, but also recently, from an old friend's roommate, who was explaining why he didn't want to come into a bar with us because he saw through the windows that everyone inside was black. I stand by that quote as fully applicable to white people.

My own racism is something I observe when I have certain thoughts, and I find myself beholding those thoughts like somebody who meditates, and starts to observe his own breathing consciously. I don't know how frequently I think or do something borne of ignorant stereotypes that are potentially harmful if acted upon, but it seems often enough. But what's interesting to me is that my thoughts about racial identity started to turn to white people as Trump's campaign gathered more and more steam. I do look at white people and measure them up as either a "good" white or a "bad" white, and catch myself wondering if maybe such-and-such person might have voted for Trump. Those thoughts play off some pretty shallow things, like how somebody dresses or wears his hair, or what he drives. Even if I don't see a person at all, but just a parked Dodge Charger, I catch myself stereotyping its missing driver. To me it's just like any other racist thought I've ever had, but it's now directed at whites.

I live in a largely black neighborhood, and I got nervous when I saw whites come by with their realtors to look at the next door house for sale. When a black family moved in, I was relieved.

I don't know if I'm the only one here whose mind falls into these prejudicial patterns on its own while I'm doing something else.
I think we all may be guilty to some extent. For instance, I hate mayonaise. It is a vile condiment that essentially reminds me of ingesting a certain bodily fluid. I do not keep any in the home.

If I had to borrow some mayo, I might go to one of my white friends first. I tend to associate mayonaise affinity with white people. Is that wrong? This is entirely a hypothetical because mayonaise is truly sickening.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What about Miracle Whip?
Longhorned wrote: I live in a largely black neighborhood, and I got nervous when I saw whites come by with their realtors to look at the next door house for sale. When a black family moved in, I was relieved.
I was just thinking last night on something related. I was in KMart, and was the only white person in the store, every other customer and the employees were Latino. I was wondering how my Tucson kin, who all live in white neighborhoods would handle it.

Recall one time my youngest brother and his wife stopped in LA at a convenience store when driving up here, and my sister in law was internally freaking out since all she saw was blacks and Latinos.

I told her that anytime you see blacks and Latinos in the same place, you are in a safe neighborhood.

Tucson likes to think they are progressive, but that is one segregated city.