Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: Lonzo Ball

Post by MrBug708 »

Triple double
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

1-2 vs. Arizona. Third place in the Pac. And yet he's the Lakers' savior? Maybe the difference in Ball will be having a better head coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:Triple double
Is there anything in sports more over-evaluated and over-hyped than summer league results?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

His dad predicted rookie of the year. The next day Fultz roles his ankle.

Some voodoo magic with Lavar
Zero

Post by Zero »

I think he is going to be a bad ass pro player. Fun to watch.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:His dad predicted rookie of the year. The next day Fultz roles his ankle.

Tatum currently looks like the best player in this rookie class at the moment and it's not close.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:His dad predicted rookie of the year. The next day Fultz roles his ankle.

Tatum currently looks like the best player in this rookie class at the moment and it's not close.
Chicat wrote: Is there anything in sports more over-evaluated and over-hyped than summer league results?

Tatum has a whole team he'll be sharing the ball with, he might be more talented, but it's generally a stats driven award.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Of the top 5, Tatum has the highest floor and lowest ceiling. He has a very mature game, and it's not really surprising he looks so ready.

Fultz is the only other rookie with close to his level of polish in his game. I could easily see Tatum winning ROY, but in the long term, guys like Jackson, Ball and even Fox/Smith, etc. have qualities that could push them above him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Of the top 5, Tatum has the highest floor and lowest ceiling. He has a very mature game, and it's not really surprising he looks so ready.

Fultz is the only other rookie with close to his level of polish in his game. I could easily see Tatum winning ROY, but in the long term, guys like Jackson, Ball and even Fox/Smith, etc. have qualities that could push them above him.
I agree with every one you named except Ball. He has one transcendent skill, which is passing. He legitimately holds no other quality that's above Tatum.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I agree with every one you named except Ball. He has one transcendent skill, which is passing. He legitimately holds no other quality that's above Tatum.
I would argue being 6'6 is a quality. When viewed along with the passing ability, it's pretty rare. Maybe I'm too into the uniqueness, but those things are big for me.

If Lonzo was 6'2, I'd have him towards the bottom of the top ten. His combo of height and passing is just so rare.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The ability to make others better is also an immeasurable skill. Ball's value is how better his teammates can be with him on the court.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:The ability to make others better is also an immeasurable skill. Ball's value is how better his teammates can be with him on the court.
Yeah, although I figured Choochoo had that filed under passing. One thing Lonzo does that I basically haven't seen at this level since Magic is throw ahead to start the break. Even other great passers like Kidd and Paul don't do this like Lonzo does.

He usually won't get an assist on it, but he kicks it ahead and creates easy one on ones in transition that allow his teammates to get easy looks and paths to the rim. It creates a lot of hockey assists, fouls and multiple dribble layups and is insanely helpful to a team.

I like Lonzo a lot. He needs to shoot better than he has in Vegas, but that will come.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Learning from his dad
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:The ability to make others better is also an immeasurable skill. Ball's value is how better his teammates can be with him on the court.
To Ball's credit and further increasing his chances at ROY, he went to the right team with the right style of play for his game. He's meh at best at the PnR, so the Lakers were a dream situation in that he'll never have to do it.

Either way realistic ROY candidates IMO are Fox, Fultz, Smith, Jackson, Tatum, and Ball. I see Ball finishing 3rd at best among that group honestly.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
To Ball's credit and further increasing his chances at ROY, he went to the right team with the right style of play for his game. He's meh at best at the PnR, so the Lakers were a dream situation in that he'll never have to do it.

Either way realistic ROY candidates IMO are Fox, Fultz, Smith, Jackson, Tatum, and Ball. I see Ball finishing 3rd at best among that group honestly.
I'd have Tatum as the favorite at this point. Fultz is probably second, but on such a young team, I'd expect him to have more consistency issues.

Lonzo is pretty much defined by how he expands his own offensive game. His facilitation isn't a question, but he has to be able to put up 12-14 with decent efficiency on his own.

Fox, Smith and Jackson are the boom or bust guys. A consistent J is an issue for all three. They're all great athletes, though, and if they can put it together...
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

84Cat wrote:Learning from his dad
I saw the "news" trying to make that a "story" yesterday too :lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

No Fox vs Ball rematch tonight because Ball has an injured groin...
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Same injury from the Kentucky tournament game
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fox won't be anywhere near the toughest matchup he will face this year. I doubt that has anything to do with it. He better heal soon though if this is from March. The NBA is rough on bodies.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Laker fans are excited about Lonzo. He looked good, willing to share the rock. Needs to work on his shots especially mid range -inside. Limited game skills so far.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Laker fans are excited about Lonzo. He looked good, willing to share the rock. Needs to work on his shots especially mid range -inside. Limited game skills so far.
It blew me away when I saw that he's taken 8 jump shots that weren't threes last year.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Well, he doesn't need to worry about the worst mark from 3 this summer league
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Ticket prices in Vegas seemed high for Summer League. I guess fans are hoping Lonzo brings back Showtime.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Benched last night, a health precaution after he tweaked an ankle last game. Makes sense, but I was looking forward to a replay confrontation vs Fox. Would have been really interesting after the two UCLA/KY games last year. Fox owned him the second game 39/10.

I cringe every time Ball goes through his perimeter mechanics. Would anyone suggest the Lakers fool with his stroke? Space, anyone? I know it's a dumb question since it's heavily ingrained over probably 10 years, but-------the NBA three is further out and the D is far better.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Too early to mess with his stroke. He has the range on it, but the mechanics behind it shouldnt be tweaked until at least after his rookie season.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EOCT wrote:Benched last night, a health precaution after he tweaked an ankle last game. Makes sense, but I was looking forward to a replay confrontation vs Fox. Would have been really interesting after the two UCLA/KY games last year. Fox owned him the second game 39/10.

I cringe every time Ball goes through his perimeter mechanics. Would anyone suggest the Lakers fool with his stroke? Space, anyone? I know it's a dumb question since it's heavily ingrained over probably 10 years, but-------the NBA three is further out and the D is far better.
He was regularly shooting, and making, shows from 26 feet at UCLA.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:
EOCT wrote:Benched last night, a health precaution after he tweaked an ankle last game. Makes sense, but I was looking forward to a replay confrontation vs Fox. Would have been really interesting after the two UCLA/KY games last year. Fox owned him the second game 39/10.

He was regularly shooting, and making, shows from 26 feet at UCLA.
Yeah, but that was before De'Aaron took his spirit.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Good thing for the Lakers that they held out Ball otherwise Fox might not have been -30 in the game lol
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

TucsonClip wrote:Too early to mess with his stroke. He has the range on it, but the mechanics behind it shouldnt be tweaked until at least after his rookie season.
Clip, I hear you.

I look at it a a question of when to fool with it, that is if anyone feels the stroke will eventually have to be changed since it is so screwed up and since the League game is so much stronger on D and the 3point distance is longer.

If the Laker Trust were to feel "eventually", then why not right away? After this season the word is the Lakers will go after Paul George, Westbrook, even Lebron----some combo of two of them because they'll have the cap space. If the Lakers are successful at that, why fool with Ball's stroke at a point when they then have prospects for a big championship run? Why not do it now and take the lumps in the current season with low expectations anyway.

Just a thought.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EOCT wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Too early to mess with his stroke. He has the range on it, but the mechanics behind it shouldnt be tweaked until at least after his rookie season.
Clip, I hear you.

I look at it a a question of when to fool with it, that is if anyone feels the stroke will eventually have to be changed since it is so screwed up and since the League game is so much stronger on D and the 3point distance is longer.

If the Laker Trust were to feel "eventually", then why not right away? After this season the word is the Lakers will go after Paul George, Westbrook, even Lebron----some combo of two of them because they'll have the cap space. If the Lakers are successful at that, why fool with Ball's stroke at a point when they then have prospects for a big championship run? Why not do it now and take the lumps in the current season with low expectations anyway.

Just a thought.
See, I don't see it as a necessity to change. Reggie Miller was one of the greatest shooters in NBA history and his form was terrible. I remember stories about Reggie drawing foul calls from the noise his left hand made slapping his right hand after he released the shot.

He needs to make them. He showed at UCLA that he can consistently stick the J for a full year. That's all he needs to do.

The biggest way his shot would worry me is that it makes him basically incapable of taking a J off the dribble headed right. He brings the ball up the left side of his body, and if he tries to shoot going right, he'll get stripped constantly.

I think Lonzo can shoot the 3 ball well enough. He needs to develop his ability to hit the floater/midrange IMO. That is something he has never shown the ability to do, and good NBA PG's have to be able to score from 10-17 feet. Paul's floater, Magic's junior skyhook, etc.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I think you need to see if he can hit the spot up jumper first before you even toy with something like changing his shot so he can shoot off the dribble.

Plenty of time to toy with the jumper, but lets get a baseline in the NBA first.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Lonzo's not really helping the perception about him and De'Aaron by returning immediately.

http://www.phobia-fear-release.com/phob ... ments.html" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Laker fans loving it..So does Lebron?

Lonzo Ball Notches Impressive Double-Double in Win vs. 76ers

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2721 ... n-vs-76ers" target="_blank
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

That was an impressive stat line yesterday. In Nike shoes
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Any word on whether UCLA will be hanging a banner to memorialize Lonzo's stat line yesterday? Seems fitting.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Was that joke a cry for help?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:Was that joke a cry for help?
No, not really. Just noticing how the best thing going for UCLA hoops these days is a player who won't be on their roster this season.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
No, not really. Just noticing how the best thing going for UCLA hoops these days is a player who won't be on their roster this season.

Beach are you a UCLA alum.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
If that's true, does that mean the best thing going for Arizona fans is a Ucla player in the NBA?

Your trolling of these boards is looking more transparent these days. Did that bet welching affect you that badly
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tatum currently looks like the best player in this rookie class at the moment and it's not close.
I want to preface my opinion by saying you are a very level headed and knoweldagble poster on this board, I agree with you the vast majority of times than not.

however, I could not disagree with this opinion any more than saying I totally disagree.

further, Lonzo Ball is my pick of any entry player to add to any team, and that hasn't changed in two years, and it ain't close.

i hope we can still be friends.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This thread is turning into Bug and Beachcat baiting each other for reactions.

Would Lavar Ball approve? Lavar isn't one who would just go trolling for a response. The Big Baller Brand is about more than that. Like shoes in $1,000 LED cases that don't ship until late November.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

No. Neither is the only UCLA fan in this thread.

Lonzo's a heck of a player. He'll keep Bruin fans entertained this year while the current Bruins struggle to stay relevant.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This thread is turning into Bug and Beachcat baiting each other for reactions.

Would Lavar Ball approve? Lavar isn't one who would just go trolling for a response. The Big Baller Brand is about more than that. Like shoes in $1,000 LED cases that don't ship until late November.
I'm not really baiting, I'm more openly mocking his attempts to troll me. I forget he exists until he posts something in my direction. Then hilarity ensures as he struggles to come up with something witty.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
HiCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

No. Neither is the only UCLA fan in this thread.

Lonzo's a heck of a player. He'll keep Bruin fans entertained this year while the current Bruins struggle to stay relevant.
I was a big fan during the Wooden era. (yeah, boomer older than dirt :lol: ) Great man, loved his commitment to excellence. Probably the greatest college coach in my day. (my view only)
Last edited by HiCat on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:This thread is turning into Bug and Beachcat baiting each other for reactions.

I'm not really baiting, I'm more openly mocking his attempts to troll me. I forget he exists until he posts something in my direction. Then hilarity ensures as he struggles to come up with something witty.
Come now, Bugsy. When it comes to wit, you doth bestride the narrow message board like Colossus, and we petty men walk under your huge legs and peep about.

Hooray for hyped-up one and done Bruins who finish 3rd in league!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

See what I mean Space? :)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He's in Adidas tonight
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Double triple double.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm really happy he's a Laker.