Lonzo Ball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pokinmik

Re: Lonzo Ball

Post by pokinmik »

Hater is the guy who drives like a clueless dipshit and almost runs you off the road taking a wide right turn and then flips you off and screams after you give him a tiny honk of the horn. Starts shit and never backs down or shows humility.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

catgrad97 wrote:OK, so how many of these shoes have actually sold so far?

Because if the above numbers are accurate, we have a culture that, just when it needs to fight the most for its independence, has instead completely given up.
Honestly, barring Monsanto, I can't think of another business I've wanted to see fail as badly as Big Baller Brand.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lmao. Yeah with dress shoes, worth dropping $300 to $600 some quality Allen Edmonds or Aldens. You may drop $1300 on four pair, but those will last your whole career and dont jack up your feet. Or you can go to Macys and drop $80 on something that wont last a year unless you are rotating it.

As for Jordans, you were either a part of that era or a part of that culture, or you dont get it. These kids can barely afford rent but can go buy jordans every month, and they only spend that much cuz they think it makes them cool. I have a modest collection, but i know a ton of guys who are doing well and thats their "escape/ hobby" and thats fine. Everyone has something
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Puerco wrote:

Because if the above numbers are accurate, we have a culture that, just when it needs to fight the most for its independence, has instead completely given up.
Honestly, barring Monsanto, I can't think of another business I've wanted to see fail as badly as Big Baller Brand.
I'll take it a step further and am hoping his career is a failure.....Started out giving the kid the benefit of the doubt but his Dad is such a HUGE douchebag, I will root for Lonzo Ball to fail or at least under-perform. I have a hard time believing this kid isn't a dbag as well (i.e. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree).

Nothing I have seen from this kid so far disproves he isn't a true 'Ball'. So glad UCLA is saddled with these asshats and not us....EVEN with our tremendous need for a good PG. BTFD.
prh

Post by prh »

http://www.nicekicks.com/facts-many-pai ... ally-sell/" target="_blank
I had tracked the inventory levels of the footwear items on the BigBallerBrand.com site throughout the day, and found that while quite a few pairs were deducted from inventory since the shoes went on sale, it was nowhere near 5,000 pairs.

Out of the 328 transactions that happened on BigBallerBrand.com in the first 24 hours that the shoes were offered for sale, we tracked that a total of just 263 pairs of sneakers had sold in both signed and unsigned versions of the ZO2 Prime.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:As for Jordans, you were either a part of that era or a part of that culture, or you dont get it. These kids can barely afford rent but can go buy jordans every month, and they only spend that much cuz they think it makes them cool. I have a modest collection, but i know a ton of guys who are doing well and thats their "escape/ hobby" and thats fine. Everyone has something
Yep. And bringing up Jordan in a Lonzo Ball thread is like bringing up Led Zeppelin in a Nickelback thread.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Puerco wrote:

I'll take it a step further and am hoping his career is a failure.....Started out giving the kid the benefit of the doubt but his Dad is such a HUGE douchebag, I will root for Lonzo Ball to fail or at least under-perform. I have a hard time believing this kid isn't a dbag as well (i.e. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree).

Nothing I have seen from this kid so far disproves he isn't a true 'Ball'. So glad UCLA is saddled with these asshats and not us....EVEN with our tremendous need for a good PG. BTFD.
Can't hate the kid because of his pops though. All things considered, Ball should be Johnny freakin Manziel because of his dad, but I havent seen any of that from him yet. I'll be rooting for him to do well in the league until he gives me a reason not to (or goes to the Lakers).
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

prh wrote:

http://www.nicekicks.com/facts-many-pai ... ally-sell/" target="_blank
I had tracked the inventory levels of the footwear items on the BigBallerBrand.com site throughout the day, and found that while quite a few pairs were deducted from inventory since the shoes went on sale, it was nowhere near 5,000 pairs.

Out of the 328 transactions that happened on BigBallerBrand.com in the first 24 hours that the shoes were offered for sale, we tracked that a total of just 263 pairs of sneakers had sold in both signed and unsigned versions of the ZO2 Prime.
There is not room for any outsiders right now. Kanye had his Yeezy's completely bring back Adidas to the point that Yeezy's are pretty much the most hyped shoe on the market. Jordan brand saw this and are now releasing their most coveted/popular Jordans at a faster rate and as such, they dug themselves out of their little sales slump. Even if the Ball's were $250 they would not sell shit because they are entering a market where there is no room for another name/brand.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:Can't hate the kid because of his pops though. All things considered, Ball should be Johnny freakin Manziel because of his dad, but I havent seen any of that from him yet. I'll be rooting for him to do well in the league until he gives me a reason not to (or goes to the Lakers).
Ball can play. Think we all saw that this year. But I don't see Fultz or Josh Jackson touting exorbitantly priced footwear long before they've proven a goddamn thing. Generally, the way it works is that you earn your stripes (ie: by winning a title or becoming an All-Star or doing something else exceptional) and then you ask the world to pay a ton of money to wear your shoes. LeBron is an exception, but he's LeBron. We were all witnesses. Let's see how Ball does vs. Westbrook, Harden, Parker, CPIII, Lillard, etc.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Might have to look at those new shoes - right after my Chuck Taylor All Stars wear out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

KaibabKat wrote:Might have to look at those new shoes - right after my Chuck Taylor All Stars wear out.
Last I checked, Chucks retail for around $50, you elitist snob.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Back on topic, Lonzo's rapping now:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708 ... g-national" target="_blank
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Jesus. The most out-of-control entourage head case before the draft of any kid I've ever seen.

And that includes Brian Bosworth.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He's good but not that good.

He'll be like a Brandon Jennings type rather then the next kobi/lebron hybrid that's being hyped.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:He's good but not that good.

He'll be like a Brandon Jennings type rather then the next kobi/lebron hybrid that's being hyped.
He's more like a pre-knee Shaun Livingston. Which means pretty good, maybe all-star level. I'm not sure his floor game will ever offset the meh D and penetration, but he's going to be good.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Easier to see here.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bigger question is why is Coach Zach ripping off Pokemon?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

LaVar needs to stfu before he fucks it up for his kids
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:LaVar needs to stfu before he fucks it up for his kids
It's true. Michael Jordan is no Lonzo Ball. Jordan Brand is no Big Baller Brand either.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Puerco wrote:

Can't hate the kid because of his pops though. All things considered, Ball should be Johnny freakin Manziel because of his dad, but I havent seen any of that from him yet. I'll be rooting for him to do well in the league until he gives me a reason not to (or goes to the Lakers).
Normally I agree with you rg and really appreciate your take on things BUT in this instance I disagree with you and I do hate on the kid a bit. I really hope bad he and his dbag Dad flame out on all their endeavors. Lavar Ball is one of the biggest, most obnoxious, loudmouth, dirtbags out there and I really hate to see his behavior rewarded in any way.

He is a prime example of what is wrong with the current sports culture these days IMHO on so many levels. I know it's wrong to pre-judge Lonzo BUT I also haven't seen anything positive straight from Lonzo's mouth or actions either....you'd think if he was so different from his Dad that there'd be more empirical evidence if such.

Again, thank God they aren't part of the Arizona Program and I'd be embarrassed of them if I was an UCLA alumnus.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Imperical evidence? Is there one piece that he is anything like his dad?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:Imperical evidence? Is there one piece that he is anything like his dad?
When all his sons are committing to UCLA, I'd say Lavar is part of your program. And yeah, the unfortunate fact is that people are seeing Lonzo differently because of Lavar. It may not be fair to Lonzo, but life is generally not fair.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

None of what you said is untrue, but really doesn't answer the question either
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Daddy Ball was easy for UCLA to deal with because Lonzo was so good.

He's going to be really fun for UCLA when his other kids are on campus and are not so good and not getting "enough" playing time.

I wonder if its all going to be worth it for 1 year of Lonzo?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:None of what you said is untrue, but really doesn't answer the question either
My answer to your question would be, does it matter?

The way it is going, Lavar's public perception is rubbing off on his kids. Is that necessarily fair? Probably not, but when he goes as loose cannon as he has, those things sort of happen. With the way he's been doubling and tripling down, it's only going to get worse, not better.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I was commenting on statement that lonzo must be like his dad and the only way to convince Bangkok was evidence. There hadn't been anything out there that he is. He's pretty low key and mellow and the opposite of controversy. I wasn't denying the fact that his dad's influence is rubbing off on his perception.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I wouldn't be shocked if his dad and him have a rift of sorts once he gets through that rookie contract. He looks slightly embarrassed of his dad and if the rumors are true of Lavar keeping him away from his sick mother there is likely some built up resentment in there.

I could absolutely see him saying fuck BBB I'm signing a multimillion dollar deal w Nike in about 5 years. I could be wrong but it wouldn't shock me.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:I was commenting on statement that lonzo must be like his dad and the only way to convince Bangkok was evidence. There hadn't been anything out there that he is. He's pretty low key and mellow and the opposite of controversy. I wasn't denying the fact that his dad's influence is rubbing off on his perception.
That's a fair take. Lonzo does/did seem pretty normal, but his proximity to Lavar is not helping that.

I don't know Lonzo, but if he is a low key, mellow, nice guy, I feel bad for him being a pawn in Lavar's world domination scheme.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Alieberman wrote:Daddy Ball was easy for UCLA to deal with because Lonzo was so good.

He's going to be really fun for UCLA when his other kids are on campus and are not so good and not getting "enough" playing time.

I wonder if its all going to be worth it for 1 year of Lonzo?
For Steve Alford, yes. I dont think he has the UCLA job right now if Lonzo is not on last year's team.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

MrBug708 wrote: There hadn't been anything out there that he is. He's pretty low key and mellow and the opposite of controversy. I wasn't denying the fact that his dad's influence is rubbing off on his perception.
Agree with you on this. I loathe UCLA and can probably count on one hand the number of players I didn't dislike or completely hate over the years. Lonzo has done absolutely nothing to make me dislike him. In fact, I actually gained quite a bit of respect for him - he was low key and kept his mouth shut and played (and produced) despite his father, the hype surrounding him, his talent level, and having several teammates who could have rubbed off on him in a negative way too.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PennZona20 wrote:I wouldn't be shocked if his dad and him have a rift of sorts once he gets through that rookie contract. He looks slightly embarrassed of his dad and if the rumors are true of Lavar keeping him away from his sick mother there is likely some built up resentment in there.

I could absolutely see him saying fuck BBB I'm signing a multimillion dollar deal w Nike in about 5 years. I could be wrong but it wouldn't shock me.
Agree completely. In fact, I think I predicted that somewhere around here. Think it's faster than 5 years though.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Puerco wrote:Some of Lonzo's quotes make you think he's going to dump pops like the steaming turd he is as soon as he gets to the League.
Yup. There it is.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He better hope the Lakers don't get the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick. Much easier to keep dad out of your hair when he isn't a short drive away from the arena.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Right now, Lavar is the bigger story. If Lonzo turns into a star, Lavar will end up fading into the background because Lavar is about himself. If Lonzo ends up fading into the background, nobody will care about Lavar. Lavar is a story because people keep interviewing him, inviting him onto the show, et al. Pretty sure the Lakers have dealt with plenty of crazy people at the arena, Lavar will be just one of many.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUHATER! wrote:I cannot fathom why anyone would pay more than about $40 for a pair of sneakers
According to Flight Club, the popular sneaker retailer and consignment store, Just Don x Air Jordan sneakers resell from anywhere between $850 and $1,250 online and in store (it's too early to tell how much the "Arctic Orange" will resell for, but it won't be much cheaper than that).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:Right now, Lavar is the bigger story. If Lonzo turns into a star, Lavar will end up fading into the background because Lavar is about himself. If Lonzo ends up fading into the background, nobody will care about Lavar. Lavar is a story because people keep interviewing him, inviting him onto the show, et al. Pretty sure the Lakers have dealt with plenty of crazy people at the arena, Lavar will be just one of many.
Lavar is popular because the Kardashians are popular. Talentless people that do and say stupid things repeatedly are famous today because our media dictates it so. You're absolutely right that if Lonzo fades away so does his dad, but I'm not sold on Lavar fading away if Lonzo becomes a star. That's all up to Lonzo honestly and I don't know if he'd write his father off like that.

Btw when did this thread go from condiments to Lonzo Ball? I demand a course back towards the real topic of this thread!
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Lonzo just needs to become the bigger story. Right now he hasn't done anything in the NBA. If he becomes a star, he's a bigger story. Nobody cares about Earl Woods or the Williams dad once they started winning.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Lavar Ball in the news again

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/05/ ... -ball-hoa/" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Can the Ball thread be merged with the UCLA in trouble thread? There's no longer a line between the two.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Pfft. Don't be stupid. There's a huge difference despite your aspirations.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He'll hijack them to whatever he wants them to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So if the Lakers have the #2 pick, there's what, a 200% chance they pick Lonzo, right?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I would love the celtics to take ball, just because.
prh

Post by prh »

CalStateTempe wrote:I would love the celtics to take ball, just because.
I'd love for them to trade it, have some bad team jump up and get him. Or maybe Philly and the Celtics swap, Celts can take Jackson.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Brad Stevens and Lavar Ball. A match made in heaven...lol
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:I would love the celtics to take ball, just because.
It isn't insane, because they're good enough to prioritize need, and they don't really need the backcourt scoring Fultz brings with IT already lighting it up. That said, I don't think they buck the trend enough to go Ball over Fultz.

I was looking through DX breakdowns and I saw a crazy Lonzo Ball stat. In his full year of college basketball, he shot 8 jump shots that were not 3 point attempts. That blows me away. I don't know how it's possible to shoot only layup/dunks and threes any more than that. 8 shots all year. I think Allonzo Trier took more than that against Xavier.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

The Lakers already have a #2 overall pick PG in D'Angelo Russell who was, quite frankly, a better college player than Lonzo Ball. If I'm them I'm trading down a few picks.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:The Lakers already have a #2 overall pick PG in D'Angelo Russell who was, quite frankly, a better college player than Lonzo Ball. If I'm them I'm trading down a few picks.
D'lo is not a true PG. He and Lonzo could easily coexist. Lonzo does the distributing, Russell does the shooting. Lonzo is big enough that he can defend the 2 just as easily (maybe more easily) as the 1.

That said, a trade down isn't a terrible idea if the right deal comes along. Packaging the pick with Ingram or Randle for a superstar would be a shot in the arm for the franchise. Right now, the Lakers have some young talent, but it's a glut of decent players with no one to lead.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote:The Lakers already have a #2 overall pick PG in D'Angelo Russell who was, quite frankly, a better college player than Lonzo Ball. If I'm them I'm trading down a few picks.
D'lo is not a true PG. He and Lonzo could easily coexist. Lonzo does the distributing, Russell does the shooting. Lonzo is big enough that he can defend the 2 just as easily (maybe more easily) as the 1.

That said, a trade down isn't a terrible idea if the right deal comes along. Packaging the pick with Ingram or Randle for a superstar would be a shot in the arm for the franchise. Right now, the Lakers have some young talent, but it's a glut of decent players with no one to lead.
I haven't seen Russell play in the League, but he can be a PG if he wants. Dude had eyes in the back of his head in college.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I haven't seen Russell play in the League, but he can be a PG if he wants. Dude had eyes in the back of his head in college.
Ehh, I've never been blown away. 1.72 assist to turnover, only 4.8 apg in 28.7 mpg last year. There's nothing that says he has to be the guy at PG. I think he would benefit from being next to Ball. He took 14 shots per game against 5 assists.