Goin Pro Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: Goin Pro Thread

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:All these declarations mean shit, you can hire an agent now and still return to school.
With all the talk of Brown and Hazzard, do we even *want* Randolph to return to school?
I would say no
I think opinion is divided on BR. I’m intrigued by the idea that he could thrive playing alongside more capable guards like Nico and JG.

But then, I really want JB.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

BR as a 6 man is a perfect spot for him.

I don't understand those wanting him to be pushed out if he wants to be here.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Randolph with his amazing PER of 13.0 is probably a little bit down the NBA draft list - like #2000, give or take a spot or two.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KaibabKat wrote:Randolph with his amazing PER of 13.0 is probably a little bit down the NBA draft list - like #2000, give or take a spot or two.
This is what I'm saying. BR is not an NBA caliber player. At least, not yet. So he either needs more college ball, or he can head abroad and play pro ball in Europe or Asia.

I do like the idea of a junior BR as a 6th/7th man. Just not sure getting bumped that far down in the rotation is very appealing to him, even playing for a greatly improved team.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Alieberman wrote:BR as a 6 man is a perfect spot for him.

I don't understand those wanting him to be pushed out if he wants to be here.
I guess I am more concerned about him being ok with a 6th man role

If he would be ok with it yes keep him but my gut tells me that he would not be so if he came back it would hurt more then help
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote:If he would be ok with it yes keep him but my gut tells me that he would not be so if he came back it would hurt more then help
I'm drawing a blank trying to think of another AZ player who had about the same number of minutes as BR as a soph and then had them reduced as a junior.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:If he would be ok with it yes keep him but my gut tells me that he would not be so if he came back it would hurt more then help
I'm drawing a blank trying to think of another AZ player who had about the same number of minutes as BR as a soph and then had them reduced as a junior.
Not the same # of minutes, but Rick Anderson redshirted after his sophomore year.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Elliott Pitts? (Sorry couldn't resist)
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I'm drawing a blank trying to think of another AZ player who had about the same number of minutes as BR as a soph and then had them reduced as a junior.
Jason Terry
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Not the same # of minutes, but Rick Anderson redshirted after his sophomore year.
Rick the stick though did not have people in his ear telling him he was an nba lock

And stick also had way too much fun his redshirt year and loved every second of it. Partied with him a ton that year
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I'm drawing a blank trying to think of another AZ player who had about the same number of minutes as BR as a soph and then had them reduced as a junior.
Jason Terry
Very true but days of guys like Jason terry doing that feel they will never happen again
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Zion going pro

-JB
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Tillie and Norvell from Zaga. This opens up more playing time for Hazzard, if that's a school he's strongly considering.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:Tillie and Norvell from Zaga. This opens up more playing time for Hazzard, if that's a school he's strongly considering.
Are they testing the waters or completely gone?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Tillie and Norvell from Zaga. This opens up more playing time for Hazzard, if that's a school he's strongly considering.
The former, but the timing of this works to Few’s advantage. He can tell Hazzard that those guys have declared so there’s an increased likelihood of playing time. But then they could both come back to school and suddenly Few has a very good backup guard.

I still think Hazzard ends up at AZ, though.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
The former, but the timing of this works to Few’s advantage. He can tell Hazzard that those guys have declared so there’s an increased likelihood of playing time. But then they could both come back to school and suddenly Few has a very good backup guard.

I still think Hazzard ends up at AZ, though.
I highly doubt either team is bending over backwards trying to get Hazzard, he is essential a slightly shorter and pudgier Jacob Hazzard who went to a less competitive school for PT. Their recruiting profiles are nearly identical and Jacob turned down several offers to walk on at AZ.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

YoDeFoe wrote:Dort leaving ASU

I know we're not supposed to praise Dort, but dude was money for Thunder in 7 game series Vs Rockets. Held Hardin to 4-15 and 1-9 from three last night. And scored 30 on his own.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Damn, this is cold blooded.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Sounds like Williams doesn't think he's ready to go with a bit of a jab in his comments. Don't get too excited Roy, maybe you'll have a couple other leave too, and you and Mike can fight over transfer recruits in your state.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:40 am Damn, this is cold blooded.
I've wondered for the longest time if UNC doesn't intentionally sandbag their players pro prospects. Roy's had a lot of 5 stars stick around, and it doesn't often seem to be for the love of college.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

If you read Iggy's book he said that Lute did that. It wasn't until agents started telling him that he was good enough to go pro that Iggy even thought about the NBA. Iggy actually didn't have a lot of good things to say about Lute
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:18 pm If you read Iggy's book he said that Lute did that. It wasn't until agents started telling him that he was good enough to go pro that Iggy even thought about the NBA. Iggy actually didn't have a lot of good things to say about Lute
I wonder if Miller isn't too invested in the well being of his players for his own good sometimes.

He's pretty straightforward he tells guys with first round grades to leave. I think that's the right decision for the player, but probably not the one to benefit himself the most.

It's hard for me to hate on someone doing right by his players.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can't call yourself "A Players Program" if you're going to undercut kids like Roy did here.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:11 pm
I've wondered for the longest time if UNC doesn't intentionally sandbag their players pro prospects. Roy's had a lot of 5 stars stick around, and it doesn't often seem to be for the love of college.
I thought the same thing, they do a great job of getting guys who are leaving most schools after 1 year to stay multiple years. I figured it was a mixture of them limiting their chance to shine along with the Jordan brand going with multi year deals while the other shoe companies are "supporting" top players for one year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:00 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:11 pm
I thought the same thing, they do a great job of getting guys who are leaving most schools after 1 year to stay multiple years. I figured it was a mixture of them limiting their chance to shine along with the Jordan brand going with multi year deals while the other shoe companies are "supporting" top players for one year.
To paraphrase Clemson's assistant, UNC, Kansas, Duke, they all have their guys to close the deal.

It's striking that prospects like Zeke Nnaji never get their chance to blow up as freshmen at UNC. Sharpe was more highly rated and put up great numbers in only 19 MPG. 25 PER, 20.1 rebound % and 5.1 block % are all good to elite numbers.

I get Garrison Brooks was a senior, but Sharpe owned him in all measurable areas, and Brooks still got all the PT. Compare that to Zeke. When Zeke was clearly better than Jeter, Miller didn't hold Zeke back.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

84Cat wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:18 pm If you read Iggy's book he said that Lute did that. It wasn't until agents started telling him that he was good enough to go pro that Iggy even thought about the NBA. Iggy actually didn't have a lot of good things to say about Lute
It wasn't too good of optics for Iggy to be on a cell phone call while on the court for warmups during the Pac 12 tourney. His sophomore year he was clearly playing for himself and not the team -- and it showed as we stumbled to a crappy seed in the 8-9 game and Iggy shot us out of the first round game vs. Seton Hall. We were a much better team the following year with everyone back but Iggy.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

zonagrad wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:01 am
It wasn't too good of optics for Iggy to be on a cell phone call while on the court for warmups during the Pac 12 tourney. His sophomore year he was clearly playing for himself and not the team -- and it showed as we stumbled to a crappy seed in the 8-9 game. That was a strange team that didn't seem to have an identity.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It wasn't too good of optics for Iggy to be on a cell phone call while on the court for warmups during the Pac 12 tourney. His sophomore year he was clearly playing for himself and not the team -- and it showed as we stumbled to a crappy seed in the 8-9 game and Iggy shot us out of the first round game vs. Seton Hall. We were a much better team the following year with everyone back but Iggy.
So, I'll admit I didn't come to Arizona until 04-05, but Iggy got significantly more efficient as a soph. He improved his shooting significantly.

In the Seton Hall game, he was 8-15 and 2-3 from 3. Salim's 2-6 and especially Channing's 6-16 seem to have hurt much more.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

He claims in the book that he had forgotten his socks. He was calling his girlfriend to have her bring the socks to the equipment manager so that he could put them on before the game started.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:25 am
So, I'll admit I didn't come to Arizona until 04-05, but Iggy got significantly more efficient as a soph. He improved his shooting significantly.

In the Seton Hall game, he was 8-15 and 2-3 from 3. Salim's 2-6 and especially Channing's 6-16 seem to have hurt much more.
I was at the game in Raleigh. I'm not pinning the loss on Iggy. But I can say there was no chemistry on that team -- at all. When you shoot well over 50% as a team in an NCAA tournament game, you should win. Arizona blew a late 8 point lead. Shakur was a freshman and obviously couldn't be a leader. Salim & Channing were juniors, Iggy & Hassan sophomores. Lots of talent on that team but definitely not one of Lute's best.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

No surprise, Mobley heading to the NBA
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

84Cat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:19 pm No surprise, Mobley heading to the NBA
Both?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I think just Evan
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:30 pm
84Cat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:19 pm No surprise, Mobley heading to the NBA
Both?
Both
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Top 10 recruit a couple years ago
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh my god that’s awful.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I feel sick for his family, friends, teammates, and coaches.
ekat

Post by ekat »

This is devastating news. My thoughts are with his family and also with BJ Boston. It had to be soul-crushing for him to see. There just aren’t adequate words.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

This one has really bothered me tonight.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lots of calls for the Celtics to draft him in the second round.

Sadly, it could have been prevented.

https://www.wkyt.com/2021/04/23/sources ... s-angeles/

LAPD says Clarke was traveling at a high rate of speed when he ran a red light, hit another car turning left, and continued on to then hit a pole and block wall. Police say Clarke was not wearing his seatbelt properly.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:19 am Lots of calls for the Celtics to draft him in the second round.

Sadly, it could have been prevented.

https://www.wkyt.com/2021/04/23/sources ... s-angeles/

LAPD says Clarke was traveling at a high rate of speed when he ran a red light, hit another car turning left, and continued on to then hit a pole and block wall. Police say Clarke was not wearing his seatbelt properly.
Is there anything less surprising, or more discouraging, than the words "was not wearing his seatbelt properly" at the end of a report like this???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Goddamn...was watching a KTLA story on Clarke's accident and had no idea there was video of it. They just threw that on seemlessly, no "look away"...my God. If he doesn't hit the pole, he's flying into a house...it's just an intersection down the road from the Northridge Fashion Center, an intersection I've been through a handful of times (not a lot...don't live there, but have friends in the Valley), a quasi-residential intersection that I imagine is 40 or 45 MPH. No one survives that impact without a seatbelt, and even then, you probably need a Hans device.

Just down the road from Sierra Canyon, so I assume that is where they were coming back from. Just awful...I feel for Boston for having to see that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^

That person in the silver pickup was extremely lucky.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Can I just say, this is a horrible thing to happen to any person let alone someone that age, but man I hate the fact that the video of this stuff makes it to public consumption.

The amount of real death that is posted online is horrifying to me. I'm a volunteer emt In a small town and have been by quite a few people as they have crossed over. To make light of it is one of the most reprehensible attributes of our society.

Ok I'm done,

Prayers for his family.

This is not directed at merk. It is commentary on mostly news media and society as a whole.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

“We’re going to have to have some major players in the beginning to get these programs started, but over time we would like to leverage all of Illini nation,” McDonald said. “The math works pretty easy. If you had 1,000 donors — basketball fans — give $50 a month that’s $5,000 a month that could go to the basketball program.”

The initial goal for the Illini Guardians, though, is 1,000 donors that give $500 a month. That would generate an initial pool of $6 million for the year.

“That’s kind of our first goal to get it up and going,” McDonald said. “Then you have a very good budget for your entire NIL program.”

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/kof ... 5972a.html

I found this article interesting concerning Kofi Cockburn of Illinois. It said he was projected as a late 2nd rounder and Illinois is trying to mobilize funds to bring him back to school.

We have the “Friends of Wilbur and Wilma” program providing opportunities for our kids. It seems that having a pool of funds where you can tie these kids into local charities and pay them from that pool of funds will be the new norm in college athletics
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's such a sign of the times that a player like Cockburn is projected as a late 2nd rounder. 20 years ago, he'd be a sure-fire first rounder, given his size and skill set. The game has changed. Players are expected to be more versatile, less position-oriented.