Transfer Palooza Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dcZONAfan

Re: Transfer Palooza Thread

Post by dcZONAfan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Any new word on CHase Jeter?
I've wondered if Arizona could get involved. We partially were in his recruitment, it definitely seems lime he is done at Duke and I'd consider him a good addition.

Outside my wonderings, no.
I gotta ask...what makes you think he would be a good addition? Kid is just an awful, awful basketball player who happens to be tall. I don't think I saw him make one good play in two years at Duke.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Any new word on CHase Jeter?
I've wondered if Arizona could get involved. We partially were in his recruitment, it definitely seems lime he is done at Duke and I'd consider him a good addition.

Outside my wonderings, no.
I gotta ask...what makes you think he would be a good addition? Kid is just an awful, awful basketball player who happens to be tall. I don't think I saw him make one good play in two years at Duke.
I see him as a rotation guy and maybe spot starter. As a junior, he'd be in a rotation with Chance as a senior and Lee as a sophomore at least, plus any add in the 2018 class.

I agree that he has been less than impressive at Duke. That said, if all you're looking for is depth in the rotation as a 4th year junior and 5th year senior, I think he brings that.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

http://247sports.com/Player/Vance-Jacks ... tution=776" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Get him...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jackson wasn't realistic for Arizona a year ago because of Ray Smith, but if we'd have had him after Smith went down....
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don't think Jackson fits in with what Sean Miller looks for in his 3/4 outside of maybe shooting.

On the transfer news New Mexico just lost its 4th player this offseason to transfer and we travel to Albuquerque to play them. What a dud that matchup will be.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote:I don't think Jackson fits in with what Sean Miller looks for in his 3/4 outside of maybe shooting.

On the transfer news New Mexico just lost its 4th player this offseason to transfer and we travel to Albuquerque to play them. What a dud that matchup will be.
New Mexico is a dumpster fire. The AD gave Neal one more year but the quality players are already abandoning ship.
We keep signing these home & home OOC games with teams that end up being brutal for our RPI. The Mizzou home & home looked promising until Heath bolted amid NCAA violations.
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Jethro Tshisumpa is leaving the dumpster fire that is ASU. Didnt do shit this year but was a 4* recruit.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /99807458/" target="_blank
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Cameron Johnson is transferring from Pitt. Going to be a grad transfer with not one but two years of eligibility. His father played with Miller at Pitt. 6'8" SF that shot 41.7% on threes and averaged 12 points per game. Not sure what kind of defender he is, but he seems like a nice add especially given his both having immediate eligibilty and eligibility in 2018-2019.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Talk of Jock Landale transferring to Oregon
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Need to get rid of the graduate transfer rule. I have no doubt Oregon is poaching
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

MrBug708 wrote:Talk of Jock Landale transferring to Oregon
That's just wrong. Hating the grad transfer rule more and more each day.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Oregon gets any grad transfer they want it seems like
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:Talk of Jock Landale transferring to Oregon
I assume they don't get McCoy if they get Landale.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How come we aren't if for this?

Oregons's gonna lap us in recruiting. You watch.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

the real dill

Post by the real dill »

1. Elijah Brown: Brown, who began his career at Butler before transferring to New Mexico, might be the most coveted of transfers this spring. He is someone that has already graduated and can play immediately next year. Expect the entire Pac-12 to hastily pursue the 6-foot-4 scoring guard as his father, Mike, is an assistant coach for the Golden State Warriors.

2. Cameron Johnson: A 6-foot-8, late-blooming combo forward that would have been atop opponents' scouting reports facing Pitt next season, Johnson will graduate this spring and become immediately eligible to play in the winter with two years to play. Johnson is someone who can become an NBA prospect with a solid junior campaign, and the entire East Coast will be interested thanks to Johnson's versatility and shot making abilities.

3. Marcus Evans: The most productive transfer this spring, Evans, a native of Virginia Beach, Va., has already been named as a first-team Conference USA member twice. Mike Rhoades, who left Rice to take the VCU head coaching job, will do his best to bring his former star with him, but a litany of other high-majors will do their best to land the 20-point-per-game scorer from last year.

4. Noah Dickerson: Playing with the potential No. 1 pick in this year’s NBA Draft, guard Markelle Fultz, Dickerson did a lot of positive things for Washington this past season. A well-built and strong-bodied center that rebounds the ball and can finish in traffic, Dickerson will likely return to the East Coast with a bevy of top-flight programs chasing after him. He will have two years of eligibility remaining after he sits out next year.

5. Egor Koulechov: A teammate of Evans’ at Rice this past year, Koulechov is a versatile forward who scores with efficiency, but also can rebound in volumes. A native of Russia, Koulechov is immediately eligible having graduated from Rice, which makes the 18-point and eight-rebound-per-game forward a major commodity.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... fer-market" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:
Did we recruit Bragg? Can't remember.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Did we recruit Bragg? Can't remember.
Sort of.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Carlto ... tInterests" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Need to get rid of the graduate transfer rule. I have no doubt Oregon is poaching
Is he grad transfer eligible? He's been in college 3 years, he would've had to graduate early to grad transfer, not impossible, but not easy either.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Jeremiah Tilmon has asked out of his NLI to Illinois
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

azcat49 wrote:Need to get rid of the graduate transfer rule. I have no doubt Oregon is poaching
Coaches can quit at any time, but a scholarship athlete should have to sit out a year after they graduate?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I guess I just don't like the state of college basketball or college sports for that matter. It is great a kid busts his ass and graduates but I don't like it that he then becomes in essence a free agent and looks for open roster spots. Of course we have benefited as much as any program but maybe we wouldn't have to do this (or other programs as well) if we had the 3 year rule like in baseball. If that was the case I doubt I would have as much issue with it but right now it just grates on me. I guess ti is just my get off the lawn moment
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

the real dill wrote:Jeremiah Tilmon has asked out of his NLI to Illinois
I had to sit behind this shirt in Phoenix

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I have to live that T-shirt every day.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:I guess I just don't like the state of college basketball or college sports for that matter. It is great a kid busts his ass and graduates but I don't like it that he then becomes in essence a free agent and looks for open roster spots. Of course we have benefited as much as any program but maybe we wouldn't have to do this (or other programs as well) if we had the 3 year rule like in baseball. If that was the case I doubt I would have as much issue with it but right now it just grates on me. I guess ti is just my get off the lawn moment
I get a sense I'm against the grain here, but I'm the opposite.

A coach can bail on his players any time. A school has the option not to renew scholarships every single year and can drop a kid any time. But it's bad to give the kid an option when he graduates early?

A talented student who wants to transfer to a better college in his major doesn't have to sit a year. For a system that allegedly cares about "student-athletes," the system actually gives them far less than everyone else.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Of all the things wrong with the system, I Don't think grad transfers is one of them. Congrats to the student for graduating college. Definitely should be rewarded with being able to play wherever he or she wants to if they have a year of eligibility left.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Frybry02 wrote:
Of all the things wrong with the system, I Don't think grad transfers is one of them. Congrats to the student for graduating college. Definitely should be rewarded with being able to play wherever he or she wants to if they have a year of eligibility left.
I agree....although I hate the OADs and other early departures for the league, if a young man completes his degree, he should not continue to be beholden to the University......Sadly, there aren't enough of these kids actually getting a complete education and degree. We definitely shouldn't punish those that actually do fulfill their 'student athlete' requirements IMHO.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I guess I just don't like the state of college basketball or college sports for that matter. It is great a kid busts his ass and graduates but I don't like it that he then becomes in essence a free agent and looks for open roster spots. Of course we have benefited as much as any program but maybe we wouldn't have to do this (or other programs as well) if we had the 3 year rule like in baseball. If that was the case I doubt I would have as much issue with it but right now it just grates on me. I guess ti is just my get off the lawn moment

A coach can bail on his players any time. A school has the option not to renew scholarships every single year and can drop a kid any time. But it's bad to give the kid an option when he graduates early?

A talented student who wants to transfer to a better college in his major doesn't have to sit a year. For a system that allegedly cares about "student-athletes," the system actually gives them far less than everyone else.
It's also important to note that you have to enroll in a graduate program not offered at the school you are leaving.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

the real dill wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

It's also important to note that you have to enroll in a graduate program not offered at the school you are leaving.
It's not basketball, but an article about how, even in grad transfers, coaches and schools hold all the cards:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ic-schools" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

the real dill wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If I recall right, Mark Lyons did so thanks to Arizona offering a masters in "General Studies." In that "program" the student identifies his own choice of courses to fulfill the credits for the degree, although the two years of coursework with the qualifying thesis or exam can't reach completion since the student athlete leaves the institution after one basketball season. General Studies has no affiliated faculty (how could it?), and since there is no funding, no student could or would ever apply to it if he weren't on an athletic scholarship. But Xavier, for example, has no such program, so it worked for Lyons, and it works for others.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

To me, if you graduate from school, that's it.

You can go wherever. They gave you 5 to graduate, you can play 4. But if you graduate in 3, or 4 with a redshirt, it is absolutely absurd to tell a kid "you have graduated from this school...but you gotta stay here."

It's school. He graduated. It is not that big an impact in terms of real percentage of students, and if it causes kids to crank down on academics to get their degree to get one year of freedom? That is awesome.

It is, in my mind, absolutely absurd to tell a kid who has graduated he can't leave the school without penalty. All in order to make sports fans happy. It is illogical. Yet the coach can leave without penalty. The coach can pull a scholie without real penalty (maybe some bad feelings in recruiting, nothing more).

So coaches can leave every year without penalty, coaches can kick players off the team with no reason other than they want the scholarship to recruit someone else, but a player who graduates (the purpose of the school) should be required to stay at the school for grad school, even if they don't have a program the student-athlete wants, because fans don't like those 1.4% of students leaving.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
the real dill wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If I recall right, Mark Lyons did so thanks to Arizona offering a masters in "General Studies." In that "program" the student identifies his own choice of courses to fulfill the credits for the degree, although the two years of coursework with the qualifying thesis or exam can't reach completion since the student athlete leaves the institution after one basketball season. General Studies has no affiliated faculty (how could it?), and since there is no funding, no student could or would ever apply to it if he weren't on an athletic scholarship. But Xavier, for example, has no such program, so it worked for Lyons, and it works for others.
Leadership Studies is the Gonzaga go-to grad program. A school should just invent one that no other school would dream of.

Like: Newspapers in the 21st Century. Or, Honor the Process.
Right where I want to be.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fuck Kansas!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Casey Benson transferring from Oregon........didn't see that coming. Graduate transfer

http://www.addictedtoquack.com/2017/4/1 ... ior-season" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:Casey Benson transferring from Oregon........didn't see that coming. Graduate transfer

http://www.addictedtoquack.com/2017/4/1 ... ior-season" target="_blank
It'll never happen, but we would be a great landing spot for him.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So who will we get? Even with Trier staying and even if Comanche and Alkins come back we still have a spot or two to fill right?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Two , yes.

Right now we have 9 guaranteed for next year.

Trier
PJC
Dusan
Pinder
D Smith
Ayton
Randolph
Lee
Barcello

Then 2 unknowns in

Alkins
Chance

2 left :

Gotta figure one will be a transfer, traditional or grad. Maybe both if Bowen, Duval, and McCoy go elsewhere, which w Trier back, is likely.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Cal and UW are going to be horrific next year. May as well schedule up in the non conference because RPI is gonna take a huge hit once conference play begins. Pac 12 will be lucky to get 4 bids.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

az91

Post by az91 »

Merkin wrote:
That would be cool.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Hopefully Bibby jr. doesn't end up at GCU. Should get some straight advice about that. Would love to see him at any number of mid-majors for another three years.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fuck Kansas!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Putting this here so I'll remember the site to check
prh

Post by prh »

Yeah go to GCU so they can make the tourney before asu makes it again. That would be fun
az91

Post by az91 »

I saw on Twitter that Michael Cage Jr is transferring from Oregon. Given that he was once an Arizona recruiting target, I wonder if he has any interest in coming to Tucson?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

az91 wrote:I saw on Twitter that Michael Cage Jr is transferring from Oregon. Given that he was once an Arizona recruiting target, I wonder if he has any interest in coming to Tucson?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

NYCat wrote:Putting this here so I'll remember the site to check
Sorted by height, there's a 5'3" PG available...

12 guys over 6'11" available but most would have to sit out.