Duke

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Duke

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ke-october" target="_blank

CSM really needs to get one of these going.
Zero

Re: Duke

Post by Zero »

I believe Arizona let's scouts in on practices at times.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... idents-him

What a bunch of whiney bullshit. Grayson Allen got a second chance. He used it to trip another dude. Pieces like this make me despise Duke and the treatment they get from ESPN all over again.
If Grayson Allen can't get that blank slate, what then can he do to at least get a second chance?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Mommy thinks it's time to put it to rest. I'm sure this will do it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Well, we now know where he picked this up and who enabled it his entire life. I wish Duke played in the Big East during the 80s. Guys like Hurley, Laettner and Allen would have left the floor in body bags.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jayson Tatum went down at their pro day with a possible foot injury.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Puerco wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... idents-him

What a bunch of whiney bullshit. Grayson Allen got a second chance. He used it to trip another dude. Pieces like this make me despise Duke and the treatment they get from ESPN all over again.
If Grayson Allen can't get that blank slate, what then can he do to at least get a second chance?
How in hell is Grayson Allen NOT ejected after this last shit? If no one believes Duke gets reffing favors they are not paying attention or Dick Vitale...

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18328374" target="_blank
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

This is an interesting case study in decision making (and hubris).

Grayson trips once, Coach K doesn't punish and not much happens.

Grayson trips twice, Coach K doesn't punish. Eyebrows are raised, but not much happens.

Grayson trips thrice after not being punished in either of the other two incidences, Coach K gets his asshole ripped open by ESPN commentators during halftime of one of the most watched college basketball games of the season (Louisville/Kentucky).
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

SCCats wrote:This is an interesting case study in decision making (and hubris).

Grayson trips once, Coach K doesn't punish and not much happens.

Grayson trips twice, Coach K doesn't punish. Eyebrows are raised, but not much happens.

Grayson trips thrice after not being punished in either of the other two incidences, Coach K gets his asshole ripped open by ESPN commentators during halftime of one of the most watched college basketball games of the season (Louisville/Kentucky).
Yes but not much happens again...Coach Ratface still will not discipline his player and they will get away with it...but there's no bias in calling for Duke...none whatsoever....

But I wonder if another player from a different conference could get away with that, or heaven forbid a non-white player?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I'm just waiting to see what the NCAA will do when he trips a ref...you know it's coming...
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Yes but not much happens again...Coach Ratface still will not discipline his player and they will get away with it...but there's no bias in calling for Duke...none whatsoever....
Coach K can't have his reputation besmirched like it was on national television, so my ^guess^ is something happens this time.

The PR is already bad on this incident. If neither K nor the conference punishes him, next time there's going to be a PR hurricane. They will probably want to avoid that and take care of it (finally).
prh

Post by prh »

Coach K is one of the biggest turds out there. A couple quotes about it via ESPN:
"I handle things the way I handle them," he said. "I will continue to handle them correctly. I don't need to satisfy what other people think I should do. I'm a teacher and a coach, and I'm responsible for that kid. I know him better than anybody -- to think that this is the last thing said to him is wrong.
No, you are not handling it correctly. You are a joke.
"Obviously, we will do more, and you don't have to see it, but what he did tonight was right. That's what people do: They say they're sorry and accept responsibility."
No, what he did tonight was not "right." Right would be not doing it at all. You don't get carte blanche if you just say sorry afterwards. What a complete joke.

Additionally, saying sorry and taking responsibility is not what people do. Saying sorry, taking responsibility, and not doing it again is what people do. And nobody here is taking responsibility anyways. If you accidentally screw up, then yeah say sorry/take responsibility, and that's pretty good. But if you intentionally do something, then do it again and again, that's doing neither.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

prh wrote:Coach K is one of the biggest turds out there. A couple quotes about it via ESPN:
"I handle things the way I handle them," he said. "I will continue to handle them correctly. I don't need to satisfy what other people think I should do. I'm a teacher and a coach, and I'm responsible for that kid. I know him better than anybody -- to think that this is the last thing said to him is wrong.
No, you are not handling it correctly. You are a joke.
"Obviously, we will do more, and you don't have to see it, but what he did tonight was right. That's what people do: They say they're sorry and accept responsibility."
No, what he did tonight was not "right." Right would be not doing it at all. You don't get carte blanche if you just say sorry afterwards. What a complete joke.

Additionally, saying sorry and taking responsibility is not what people do. Saying sorry, taking responsibility, and not doing it again is what people do. And nobody here is taking responsibility anyways. If you accidentally screw up, then yeah say sorry/take responsibility, and that's pretty good. But if you intentionally do something, then do it again and again, that's doing neither.
^^^This...but it looks like Ratface thinks its over..."you move on"...uhhh fuck no you don't after the THIRD time and he's a Jr. You have failed motherfucker...you're a teacher and you have failed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can't wait to see what Grayson's mommy says.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He'll probably deal with it like the Dillon Brooks thing, where he initially denies and is a jerk, then caves a little when the blowback comes.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

azcat49 wrote:WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT. K let him play in the second half. He should be embarrassed and so should Duke
Shock, (sarcasm)....I really am hoping some bad things for this punk! And Coach K covering for him is really disgusting too. Duke is just one of those programs that give you endless reasons to hate them for.....

On another note, Here are some fun flashbacks: 2013 win: https://youtu.be/G6-Xpc2LKxg

2011 NCAA BEATDOWN. https://youtu.be/wFsoG5J_qEk
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Halftime blasting at Louisville/Kentucky over third Grayson trip/kick

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18328886" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ratface suspends Ratface Jr.
Looks like Mr. "I run my program how I want and don't bow to outside pressure" just bowed to outside pressure . . . until Puke's next important game of course.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Im guessing they did indefinitely so that if they suck without him he can be back after two games but if they are playing well it will be more like four or five. I would guess that he will be back for the Louisville game on 1/14 unless the ACC grows a set and suspends him longer.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Ratface suspends Ratface Jr.
Looks like Mr. "I run my program how I want and don't bow to outside pressure" just bowed to outside pressure . . . until Puke's next important game of course.
http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml? ... PSID=22726" target="_blank

He's definitely back by Louisville. VT is surprisingly decent, so maybe he just sits a few practices. How is Jayson Tatum playing? You've got to factor all those things in.

It's just like the Brooks thing. K does a defiant press conference because no one has yet realized the public reaction that's coming. The public reaction comes and he doubles back to put a band aid on the situation.

K's recruiting has never been better, but the way he's handling himself is slipping.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I say it will be one game
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He is such a punk bitch. Both of them
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm guessing he's back for FSU. Three games makes it look like K is taking this seriously and is genuinely punishing a kid who just may be a psychopath.

If they lose to VT, expect K to have a fainting spell or back pain in the 2nd half so the loss goes on the record of one of his assistants.

BTW, totally forgot about the Brooks thing. Where was K to publicly scold his own player mercilessly in the handshake line against Elon?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

"Indefinite" like Trier?????

Fuck 'em...Alonzo didn't pull some bitch ass move on another player and probably didn't try to cheat the biology of the game...I'll give you indefinite when Trier is back.

So let me get this straight, Trier is out for almost half the season on some kind of suspension that is purely a personal issue but Ratfaces prize whiteboy gets a "go sit in the corner until I need you"?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

When I listen to Coach K talk about this situation with Dan Patrick, I can't help but think of Joe Paterno. Obviously the two situations of tripping and child molestation are totally different offenses but they both have/had a very holier than though attitude and say that they will take care of these things in house like they are above the NCAA. I am wondering how many games you need to win before you start to believe that when something happens in your program, you are always supposed to get away with it. It's like people are supposed to pray at the alter of these coaches no matter what happens.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Merkin wrote:
Keep politics in the politics forum please.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

jsbowl16 wrote:When I listen to Coach K talk about this situation with Dan Patrick, I can't help but think of Joe Paterno. Obviously the two situations of tripping and child molestation are totally different offenses but they both have/had a very holier than though attitude and say that they will take care of these things in house like they are above the NCAA. I am wondering how many games you need to win before you start to believe that when something happens in your program, you are always supposed to get away with it. It's like people are supposed to pray at the alter of these coaches no matter what happens.
I don't know that Allen=Sandusky, but would anyone be surprised if he kicked his girlfriend during an argument or killed five hookers?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:Ratface suspends Ratface Jr.
Interesting. Someone pointed out that K used the word "we" in the statement. "We" reviewed the incident. Then later "we" decided to suspend.

It's been guessed that this suspension requirement came down from the Duke President, not from K. If it had been K's decision, it is guessed his press release would say "I" in those places instead of "we."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The real solution is a cage match involving Grayson Allen, Draymond Green and Marcus Smart. Kick and flop to the death.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation ... econd-time" target="_blank

http://m.newsok.com/article/5499826" target="_blank

https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin.com ... 669780/amp" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LMAO cannot believe he did this again. :lol: First time hearing of this.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bangkok Wildcat

the real dill wrote:Image
LMAO the real dill!!! Especially since this is my generation ;-). Good one, thanks.
Bangkok Wildcat

splitsecond wrote:
Merkin wrote:
+1000. I don't discuss politics here anymore (and only once in that separate forum) with my fellow Cat fans because it just pisses everyone off, myself included!

We don't all agree on politics BUT I would hope we all would support and respect each other as true, sincere Cat fans. If you want to discuss politics please keep it in the appropriate forum. Thanks and Bear Down!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
Merkin wrote:
+1000. I don't discuss politics here anymore (and only once in that separate forum) with my fellow Cat fans because it just pisses everyone off, myself included!

We don't all agree on politics BUT I would hope we all would support and respect each other as true, sincere Cat fans. If you want to discuss politics please keep it in the appropriate forum. Thanks and Bear Down!
Really? It was one little joke post. Christ some people are sensitive. The hell hole that America will be under Trump won't keep itself nicely segregated from our lives. Gotta face reality head on and make a joke or two to survive.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bangkok Wildcat

ASUHATER! wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Really? It was one little joke post. Christ some people are sensitive. The hell hole that America will be under Trump won't keep itself nicely segregated from our lives. Gotta face reality head on and make a joke or two to survive.
Completely disagree with your politics and outlook on America.

I bet if I were to make any comment or joke about Obama, Hillary, Reid, Pelosi, etc, I would jumped on by the lieberals here. THIS IS A BASKETBALL FORUM.

Back to Duke; Allen is such a Dbag....I pray that he trips someone who knocks him out cold afterwards. Watching him trip that guy THEN mouth off at him afterwards THEN throw an emotional tirade on the bench after was unbelievable.....even for Duke standards.

Especially after his supposed mea culpa and apologies for last year's incidents....really hope for bad things for this punk!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Gotta go with Hater (for a change) and Merk here. It was just a joke ... and a good one at that.
Bangkok Wildcat

MrMeow wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
splitsecond wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Gotta go with Hater (for a change) and Merk here. It was just a joke ... and a good one at that.
THEN the accurate joke would be 'Obama appoints Grayson as Director of Sportsmanship' as Trump is only the President-Elect and can only nominate as this point.

Enough said as I don't want to beat a dead horse but if we are going to be interjecting politics into this forum here then it would be really disappointing....especially since we are all (supposedly) Cat fans and politics is such a turnoff these days.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I love this...

"Leave politics in the Politics forum! . . . . Now let me give you my political opinion disguised as me ranting against you stating your political opinion in the wrong forum."
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If we can't joke about Trump outside a politics board, then we're all in trouble.
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:I love this...

"Leave politics in the Politics forum! . . . . Now let me give you my political opinion disguised as me ranting against you stating your political opinion in the wrong forum."
And where did I state my political opinion?

All I asked, and I'm not alone, is we keep politics out of the Basketball forum as it's a good way to alienate fellow fans....I guess this is too much to ask for of some people.

Disappointing as this is a Duke thread and so much more interesting topics to talk about than this.
Bangkok Wildcat

Longhorned wrote:If we can't joke about Trump outside a politics board, then we're all in trouble.
Is it that because people who oppose your view of him stay away from the politics board so you feel the need to look for opposition?

Ok, I give up.....go ahead and belittle, joke about, attack the next President all you want. I'm done asking people politely to do otherwise.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

@bkkcat. fwiw, there's already a lot of shit-slinging going on around here, as one might expect from a sports-based fanboard, but folks seem to learn to respect others' opinions, roll with the punches, and "agree to disagree" (groan). hopefully the same is true when discussing politics.

just a guess, but i'm pretty sure we're on the opposite ends of the political spectrum but i still enjoy your posts and hold what you say in high regard, even if we probably don't agree on everything. everyone here is a member of the wildcat family AND an obsessed UA fan, and we all have a lot more in common than not.

i actually remember your posts way back on the drug-dealer board (douchebag guy who runs it, though, not a real wildcat fan so fuck everything he says) and i look forward to & appreciate your banter on the live game threads. it's kind of awesome to hear from a die-hard Arizona alum chiming in literally at like 4am from the other side of the planet -- hell, i can barely get my knucklehead buddies to grab a beer and watch an afternoon game -- and the same could be said about others here who are so smart and plugged-in to UA sports that they talk bracketology during the preseason or our 2018 recruiting class or whatever.

anyway, just my long-winded way of saying politics ain't no thang around here. i guess it also helps to have a shared disgust for asu, coach k, and pretty much everything that comes out of enfuego's mouth. btfd.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:If we can't joke about Trump outside a politics board, then we're all in trouble.
Is it that because people who oppose your view of him stay away from the politics board so you feel the need to look for opposition?

Ok, I give up.....go ahead and belittle, joke about, attack the next President all you want. I'm done asking people politely to do otherwise.
It's because not being able to joke about Trump is even worse than refraining from talking about him in all kinds of situations where we used to consider mention of politics impolite. Acting like these are normal times with normal political and partisan disagreements ended when the US intelligence community concluded that Russia interfered with the presidential election, and the president-elect who had called for Russian hacking bashed the CIA to defend Russia. Even with that alone, honoring the request to respect Trump on a sport message board would be dangerous normalizing and appeal to false equivalency of the worst kind.
Bangkok Wildcat

dirtbags wrote:@bkkcat. fwiw, there's already a lot of shit-slinging going on around here, as one might expect from a sports-based fanboard, but folks seem to learn to respect others' opinions, roll with the punches, and "agree to disagree" (groan). hopefully the same is true when discussing politics.

just a guess, but i'm pretty sure we're on the opposite ends of the political spectrum but i still enjoy your posts and hold what you say in high regard, even if we probably don't agree on everything. everyone here is a member of the wildcat family AND an obsessed UA fan, and we all have a lot more in common than not.

i actually remember your posts way back on the drug-dealer board (douchebag guy who runs it, though, not a real wildcat fan so fuck everything he says) and i look forward to & appreciate your banter on the live game threads. it's kind of awesome to hear from a die-hard Arizona alum chiming in literally at like 4am from the other side of the planet -- hell, i can barely get my knucklehead buddies to grab a beer and watch an afternoon game -- and the same could be said about others here who are so smart and plugged-in to UA sports that they talk bracketology during the preseason or our 2018 recruiting class or whatever.

anyway, just my long-winded way of saying politics ain't no thang around here. i guess it also helps to have a shared disgust for asu, coach k, and pretty much everything that comes out of enfuego's mouth. btfd.
Thanks dirtbags! Much respect and like for you too....going way way back! Appreciate your insight and comments.....and you bring up some very good points. It's my love / obsession for the UA and basketball that makes me enjoy this board so much, and it's precursor (GoAzCats)....Damn, I hit this site more often than news or other sporting sites.

Living over here in Buddha-land, we don't have many alternatives for sports so everything revolves around UA Hoops for me....even indoctrinated my Thai Wife (speaks very little English) on Bear Down Arizona (she's says that fluently!) :-).

This is why I stay away from the politics board as I come here for the hoops and UA love and don't want differing political views to get in the way of that. Enough said...will respond to Longhorned below and then I'm done with trying to convince people to keep it in its place....damn, if I'm the minority here in wanting to keep politics in its own board then forget it.....let the majority rule and I'll grow a thicker skin.

Again, thanks for the kind words dirtbags. Also, you have one of the coolest monikers out there....dirtbags a real UA experience! :-).

Bear Down!
Bangkok Wildcat

Longhorned wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:

It's because not being able to joke about Trump is even worse than refraining from talking about him in all kinds of situations where we used to consider mention of politics impolite. Acting like these are normal times with normal political and partisan disagreements ended when the US intelligence community concluded that Russia interfered with the presidential election, and the president-elect who had called for Russian hacking bashed the CIA to defend Russia. Even with that alone, honoring the request to respect Trump on a sport message board would be dangerous normalizing and appeal to false equivalency of the worst kind.
Hey Longhorned, I hear you and respect you enough that I owe you an answer....I'm going to break my own rule and talk politics outside its sandbox one time them I'm done.

A few premises from me though:

1. I'm not a yuuuuge (you see, I do have a sense of humor, lol) Trump supporter (although I very much admire his taste in Babes ;-) ). He has a big mouth and sometimes spews some New York 'in your face' garbage that isn't wise.....BUT, the fact that he's not some seasoned slick willy lying career politician is an appeal to me.

2. I'm a fiscal conservative (my Dad taught me about fiscal responsibility at a young age and that's why I hate big government and their incompetent spendthrift practices) but very moderate social values guy....pro-choice, pro gun control, big LGBT supporter (especially gay marriage rights) as they have every right to be as unhappy as the rest of us! Ha ha

3. Living overseas, with a corrupt police force, under military rule and being a foreigner who MUST abide by the immigration rules here gives me a very strong opinion and support for American Police (Blue Lives Matter....they matter to everyone as when the shit hits the fan, everyone calls 911!....you can't do that here as they are just another gang to shake you down in many cases) and American Democracy.

4. I'm a moderate Republican but haven't liked a lot of my choices much lately....

5. I hate how unfair / corrupt the MSM (Mainstream Media) is. I don't think anyone who is impartial can see how liberal, left-leaning the MSM is. Many of their Senior Personnel have Democratic ties and marriages. It's unbelievable how intellectually dishonest a lot of them are when they disguise 'commentating' as 'reporting'

Ok then back to Longhorned assertions on Russia hacking influences on the election. Trump was wrong to comment that they didn't....he shot his mouth off too early and I would be surprised if he still feels that way (he may be too stubborn to admit it) but I don't think they decided the election though. Hillary's and the DNC's corruption did.

They hacked the RNC too but there weren't any bombshells like Donna Brazille giving Hillary campaign debate questions beforehand, the DNC screwing Bernie Sanders over, Politico Reporters seeking approval from Podesta on stories before they publish, etc.

Hell, this was another problem of Hillary using her own private server as Secretary of State in violation of Obama's own orders / policy! It's widely assumed that she was hacked by multiple governments.

If I was a Democrat, I'd be more pissed at the corruption of the DNC and how they screwed Sanders over than the fact that all governments are spying on each other. Strong Cyber Security is just the norm these days....blaming the Russians for exposing corruption is a bit silly IMHO.

Ok, done....like I told dirtbags, I won't complain anymore if you guys feel the need to get political in the Hoops forums. I'd much rather spend my time bashing that prick Grayson Allen instead.

Apologies to anyone else for this thread hijack...won't happen again.

Bear Down and Happy Holidays!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bangkok, I should have said I appreciate your etiquette question about the Trump joke, and therefore your calling out and demanding an answer about what we've always seen as a political interruption of the "upper boards" that the "lower boards" has nearly always helped to keep clean and focused on Arizona athletics and rivals. Now that the usual partisan and ideological differences no longer frame conversations of U.S. politics like they used to during normal times, even on the politics board below (in spite of outdated mega-thread titles), we're going to have to figure out new ways to keep things like the upper boards functioning and clean. Maybe jokes are a part of that.

But the anxieties and practical questions about the very fast and sweeping departures from norms are going to work against everyone and divide us if we force normalization on ourselves instead of allowing jokes and conversations to spill over into our offices, mom's groups, little league baseball, and message boards. I don't blame you for not wanting to be partisan, and given the Democrat-dominated politics board I don't blame you for avoiding that. So where else but a Duke thread was I going to learn how united you and I and maybe all of us here on your high valuing of democracy based on your fears of corrupt police under overreaching military power with the targeting of immigrants and minorities like yourself who don't fit the dominant group's self-serving ethno-normative enforcement of national identity? This is exactly what scares the **** out of all your Wildcat brothers on the left.