Duke

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

KaibabKat

Re: Duke

Post by KaibabKat »

Duke in McKale? Can't be possible. Must be fake news. We have been told time and time again over the previous twelve years that there is no way, absolutely no way, that any top school would play in McKale.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Scheer says it would have never happened while Coach K was around.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Can I buy tickets yet?

That gives me 2 years to find someone to fill in for me for work.

And I've never attended a game that Arizona lost, so I'm gonna try and convince my wife it's my duty.

I am super pumped about this home and home!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

The only reason it is happening is because Duke has a different coach. Rat face would never have agreed to this.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I was at Duke vs AZ in '87 bawling my eyes out from how loud it was. I will be there in 2024 bawling my eyes out again
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Damn RJ
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I despise being supposed to root for Dook.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Thanks for nothing Duke.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

At least they didn’t lose at home.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

You'd think they could be good forsomething but nooo.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Duke's likely just been dropped to #2 overall seed in ESPIN's Bracketology, now... :roll:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm no Duke fan. Far from it. But the reality is that we will benefit significantly if they do well during the remainder of the reg season.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Fuck Duke now and always

You should NEVER be upset at a Duke loss

NEVER
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:05 am Fuck Duke now and always

You should NEVER be upset at a Duke loss

NEVER
Even if it means weakening the value of our win at Cameron? Sorry, I see it differently.

This season is a strange situation because we want that win at Cameron to hold a lot of weight on Selection Sunday.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If we keep winning and Duke loses its remaining games we will still be a 1 seed

Fuck Duke every fucking day
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

What Ari said. Let's have both.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Seriously… only mediocre teams need to worry about opponents records to try to prop them up

We are not mediocre
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm down with any scenario in which we get credit for beating a good team on their court, breaking them and sending them into a downward spiral which only then exposes them as entitled pissant poseurs whose torment and despair serves enduring justification of my dark and petty hatred of them.

I think that about covers it until next time.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You schedule good teams because they are good and will balance out the shitty teams you have to play in conference. Not wanting them to be good so our strength of schedule is hurt is a weird thing.

Go Duke
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:55 pm You schedule good teams because they are good and will balance out the shitty teams you have to play in conference. Not wanting them to be good so our strength of schedule is hurt is a weird thing.

Go Duke
But I hate them and want them to suffer. I don't make the rules. They must die horribly, in a fire, while I laugh and take vids, which I sell online, and use to pay for internet access.

I don't make the rules.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I only root for Arizona and say let the chips fall where they may.

I never root for Duke or Illinois. Period.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:55 pm You schedule good teams because they are good and will balance out the shitty teams you have to play in conference. Not wanting them to be good so our strength of schedule is hurt is a weird thing.

Go Duke
So we hate them all the years we don't play them and then love on them the years we do?

Sorry Chi - can't turn my hate on and off like that. The 2001 championship stolen from Lute the year he lost Bobbi won't allow it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:58 am

Go Duke
So we hate them all the years we don't play them and then love on them the years we do?

Sorry Chi - can't turn my hate on and off like that. The 2001 championship stolen from Lute the year he lost Bobbi won't allow it.
I hate them all the time. But I don’t want them to be total dogshit this year so it hurts our strength of schedule and the perception of our win.

Trust me when I say that if there are any Duke players, students, alums, or fans who care that you hate Duke with every fiber of your being, it’s only because they enjoy it. There’s no award I know of for most virulent and consistent Duke hater.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:01 am

Go Duke

I hate them all the time. But I don’t want them to be total dogshit this year so it hurts our strength of schedule and the perception of our win.

Trust me when I say that if there are any Duke players, students, alums, or fans who care that you hate Duke with every fiber of your being, it’s only because they enjoy it. There’s no award I know of for most virulent and consistent Duke hater.
In this case hatred is its own reward. It's not a lottery ticket type of deal. I hate them because fuck them. It's tautological.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Duke will not be dogshit this year no matter how much I Bear Down against them.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:42 am

Go Duke

In this case hatred is its own reward. It's not a lottery ticket type of deal. I hate them because fuck them. It's tautological.
This year I’m toning it down to a low background loathing. Same thing for next year.

In 2026 I’ll turn it back up to 11.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:55 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:42 am

Go Duke

This year I’m toning it down to a low background loathing. Same thing for next year.

In 2026 I’ll turn it back up to 11.
Maybe I should test drive a resting loathing face ......

nah, not feelin' it. If later you recommend it then I'll revisit. Let no one claim I'm not open to a more civilized toxicity.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Rooting against Duke is fine and expected...right up until their losses impact our strength of schedule and weaken our tourney seed prospects.

Basically what Chi has been saying.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Fuck Dook!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fuck Duke, fuck the Illini, and fuck the 1972 Soviet Olympic team and the refs who gave them the victory.

You can never beat them enough.

Some things you never get over.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Apriori hate Dook.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Duke looks like crap again today. The more they lose, the more trivial our win at Cameron becomes.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Duke in freefall.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Fuck Duke
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Now I'm just pissed at Duke for losing to teams they should be handling.

I was leery of the Scheyer hire from the beginning. It's early, and he could very well become a good coach. But I thought he got the top job too quickly. Duke has too much at stake to put the program in the hands of their best intern.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Payback is a bitch.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:28 pm Duke looks like crap again today. The more they lose, the more trivial our win at Cameron becomes.
Just gotta handle our business against Wisconsin, Purdue, Alabama, and FAU. Then if Duke is dogshit it hopefully won’t matter. Wisconsin with the win against Marquette helps, especially with the law of transitive property.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:28 pm Duke looks like crap again today. The more they lose, the more trivial our win at Cameron becomes.
Only to the computers - that victory still supports our resumé
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:57 pm
Only to the computers - that victory still supports our resumé
I hear you, pc. It's almost impossible for Duke to render our win at Cameron entirely insignificant. But they'll try.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

We did still win that game, if we just keep winning and covering, that's all we can do. How many other teams have won and covered every game?

Edit. Byu is the answer.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Neither ranked Dook nor ranked Sparty have shown to be quite as good as we thought. Wiscy is just the opposite: unranked at the moment and playing better than anticipated. They play Sparty 3 days before traveling to Tucson. By that tip off at McKale Purdue will have had 2 more games to bleed off the sting of the loss to Northwestern. This ain't a bad set up. Then Bama and FAU come at us with less recovery time. Our team will be tired by then.

Fuck everyone not in a UofA uniform.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I hope for Chicat's sake that Dook can manage to defeat the mighty Pride of Hofstra. It may be tough, but there's virtue in the climb!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Duke is going to try all season long to make our win at Cameron virtually meaningless by Selection Sunday. I’ve never disliked Duke too intensely, but it’s starting to stir.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Duke is at it again.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:21 pm I hope for Chicat's sake that Dook can manage to defeat the mighty Pride of Hofstra. It may be tough, but there's virtue in the climb!
They are doing this to me on purpose.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:30 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:21 pm I hope for Chicat's sake that Dook can manage to defeat the mighty Pride of Hofstra. It may be tough, but there's virtue in the climb!
They are doing this to me on purpose.
You're safe tonight.

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Duke loses to Pitt. What an amazing day.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Pitt wins in Cameron for the first time since 1979.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

By Selection Sunday, our win over Wisconsin will mean more than beating Duke.