Coaching Searches 2017

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Coaching Searches 2017

Post by Longhorned »

As a former NBA player, theoretically recruiting should be no problem. But recruiting isn't theoretical.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Coop Cat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:I don't see success in their future.
Exactly. People are falling all over themselves about the hire but because Ewing is back at his alma mater and he and Mullin will play each other twice a year. It doesn't matter if both teams suck. GT was aiming for some big time coaches and struck out all around. Suspect hire in my opinion.
To be fair, Ewing has put in his time as an assistant coach, 14 years worth. Mullins? Not so much..
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

To be fair to Ewing, I'm only basing my opinion on his career as a player where I didn't feel he was much of a strategist. He was a great individual player but he never came across as a player who would somehow will his team to victory in the final minutes based on the mental aspect of the game. How that translates to his coaching acumen, I have no idea. If those in the coaching circle are positive about his prospects, I have no reason to doubt them.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

With my man, Chancellor Henry T. "Don't Give a Dang" Yang. Seriously, I couldn't be prouder of this.

http://www.ucsbgauchos.com/sports/m-bas ... 0404panpiy" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:With my man, Chancellor Henry T. "Don't Give a Dang" Yang. Seriously, I couldn't be prouder of this.

http://www.ucsbgauchos.com/sports/m-bas ... 0404panpiy" target="_blank

He was already on Jim Rome today. (Rome being a UCSB alum)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:To be fair to Ewing, I'm only basing my opinion on his career as a player where I didn't feel he was much of a strategist. He was a great individual player but he never came across as a player who would somehow will his team to victory in the final minutes based on the mental aspect of the game. How that translates to his coaching acumen, I have no idea. If those in the coaching circle are positive about his prospects, I have no reason to doubt them.
The two don't really intersect. I'll go on record saying Magic Johnson had the highest basketball IQ ever as a player. As a coach, he was pretty underwhelming. Coaching involves a completely separate set of tools in game understanding, communication and emotional intelligence.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

This quote from Ewing would scare me if I was a Georgetown fan:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Coop Cat wrote:This quote from Ewing would scare me if I was a Georgetown fan:
Look, recruits nowadays like the Gold Club just as much as back in the day.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:This quote from Ewing would scare me if I was a Georgetown fan:
Look, recruits nowadays like the Gold Club just as much as back in the day.
:lol:

Yeah, my guess is Patrick knows what he's talking about *insert cash register ringing sounds here^
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Ewing was on Dan Patrick this morning and did not exactly sound like a person that was fired up to be coaching Georgetown. Dan asked him if John Thompson did not call him and ask him to take the job if we could be the coach of Georgetown and he answered "probably not". The whole interview was odd and he did say that it is his dream to be an NBA coach which everyone has known for a while. Not a good look for Georgetown and their coach.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That'll intensify that rivalry
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Replacements:

http://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-f ... ohio-state" target="_blank

Sean Miller, Arizona head coach

The biggest collegiate name on this list. Ohio State has to make this call. However, would Miller leave Arizona for Columbus? He’d have to directly compete and coach against his brother Archie at Indiana. Also, Arizona has the likely preseason No. 1 team for 2017-18, so that cupboard might be too full to leave behind.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Going to be either Billy Donovan or Gregg Marshall.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

the real dill wrote: Replacements:

http://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-f ... ohio-state" target="_blank

Sean Miller, Arizona head coach

The biggest collegiate name on this list. Ohio State has to make this call. However, would Miller leave Arizona for Columbus? He’d have to directly compete and coach against his brother Archie at Indiana. Also, Arizona has the likely preseason No. 1 team for 2017-18, so that cupboard might be too full to leave behind.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

These fucking people and their fantasy world of Big 10 Basketball Self-Importance.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Miller and Thad Matta are very close. They were assistants together in their formative years. The thought of Miller taking the OSU job after Gene Smith just very publicly hung Matta out to dry is laughable. Matta obviously has had some serious health issues that were impacting his ability to recruit. Smith showed little empathy during the news conference regarding Matta's health issues.

The phone conversation with Smith calling Miller to gauge interest would be something like this:

Smith: Hi Sean, Gene Smith, Ohio State Athletic Director.

Miller: Hi Gene, hang on just a second.

(Miller sets down the phone and heads to the bathroom to take a long dump)
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Yeah, why would Sean want that job after the AD pushed out his friend?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

catgrad97 wrote:Going to be either Billy Donovan or Gregg Marshall.
Yes there are dots connecting coaches like Miller & Donovan, but it's hard to see OSU landing anyone near that caliber. Buckeyes basketball is only a top 40-60 program. Despite the fan delusions the AD is going to have to aim lower, like the level of Crean or Cronin.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Going to be either Billy Donovan or Gregg Marshall.
Yes there are dots connecting coaches like Miller & Donovan, but it's hard to see OSU landing anyone near that caliber. Buckeyes basketball is only a top 40-60 program. Despite the fan delusions the AD is going to have to aim lower, like the level of Crean or Cronin.
OSU is way higher than 40-60. They are the premier university in the state, have great facilities and a strong history. Maybe not top ten, but OSU is pretty close.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Some Kentucky fan on Reddit yesterday was trying to convince everyone that Ohio state is a much much much much better job than Arizona
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Average KenPom ranking since 2002:

10 Arizona
16 Ohio State
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Some Kentucky fan on Reddit yesterday was trying to convince everyone that Ohio state is a much much much much better job than Arizona
Inbreeding is a serious problem that should be addressed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

OSU has had some nice stretches over the last 10-15 years, but the consistency hasn't been there the way it has with say, MSU or Wisconsin, just to pick two from the Big 10.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Some Kentucky fan on Reddit yesterday was trying to convince everyone that Ohio state is a much much much much better job than Arizona
OSU has the potential to be as good as Arizona. We've been more consistent, have better recruiting, a more devoted fan base and are on a much better trajectory. If OSU lands the right guy, they could get to our levels of success and do have great facilities and a lot of money.

I don't see a world in which OSU is clearly a better job, though, or really even equal. Other than a more recent FF, the Buckeyes aren't boasting much over us, and we've easily been better lately. Plus, Arizona basketball is like Ohio State football. Ohio State basketball isn't.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
OSU has the potential to be as good as Arizona. We've been more consistent, have better recruiting, a more devoted fan base and are on a much better trajectory. If OSU lands the right guy, they could get to our levels of success and do have great facilities and a lot of money.

I don't see a world in which OSU is clearly a better job, though, or really even equal. Other than a more recent FF, the Buckeyes aren't boasting much over us, and we've easily been better lately. Plus, Arizona basketball is like Ohio State football. Ohio State basketball isn't.
Exactly. OSU is a football school, period. Doesn't mean they can't make a good hire and get back to where they were between '07 and '12. But football is simply their sports identity. Michigan is the same way. Same with Texas, Bama, and FSU. All of these programs have had a good season here and there, but it pales in comparison to what their football programs have done.

OSU needs to bring in someone who can start locking down those midwest recruits again. They need to be among the top 3 recruiting programs in the Big 10.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
OSU is way higher than 40-60. They are the premier university in the state, have great facilities and a strong history. Maybe not top ten, but OSU is pretty close.
Maybe not top 10? More like maybe not top 30.

One thing OSU fans have got to get past is the idea that they should always be the best program in the state AND that they can be a national contender if they can lock down all the in-state guys. It just doesn't happen that way. There's way too many other programs pouching off of the state of Ohio, and that will always be the case.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

How pissed would Iowa State fans be if Freddy goes to OSU?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

So, a guy with moderate success at Creighton, a lesser program, is more desirable than a guy who had an impressive winning percentage at Ohio State and a couple of final fours? These AD's really know how to think these things through.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

midnightx wrote:So, a guy with moderate success at Creighton, a lesser program, is more desirable than a guy who had an impressive winning percentage at Ohio State and a couple of final fours? These AD's really know how to think these things through.
Think they just want to hit the reset button.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

McDermott is a good hire for them. And it's one of the first realistic ones I've heard.

I'd make a hard run at Marshall, but if he isn't that interested a guy like McBuckets Sr sounds about right for them.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Don't know much about McDermott (in fact if you go google looking for him the majority of references are for his NBA son) but I do remember him at the helm of Iowa St. It was a very underwhelming tenure. Was he fired from ISU or did he resign?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:So, a guy with moderate success at Creighton, a lesser program, is more desirable than a guy who had an impressive winning percentage at Ohio State and a couple of final fours? These AD's really know how to think these things through.
Something weird happened behind the scenes. There's no reason to pull the trigger on the firing at this point if it was performance based.
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Turned down by the Creighton coach. Oops.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

SirClinks wrote:Turned down by the Creighton coach. Oops.
On another board I am getting railed by Buckeye fans cause I dare say OSU is only a top 40-50 job. I guess Greg McDermott agrees with me too.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ohio State is a great job. The "it's a football school" stuff is always overplayed. If you win consistently, you have nothing to worry about and are going to eat better than most. Ohio State has a HUGE fan/alum base countrywide. If you win at Ohio State, you have a huge following that is going to latch on. That matters for ticket sales, that matters for the networks deciding which games they are going to televise, etc. It may not be a UNC, Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas, but a scholarship offer to Ohio State is still a huge offer. It is EASILY a top 20 job and probably falls somewhere in the low to mid teens, be it all time or since 2000. There are plenty of "All time college basketball programs" ranking articles from respected sources that support that. The AP's recent Top 100 College Basketball programs of all time list has them ranked 12th. Using McDermott isn't going to support a counter argument. Mark Few didn't give Arizona the time of day. UCLA, flaws and all, is still a top-tier basketball program and job, but plenty of coaches do not want to be bothered with those specific flaws when they are already in good situations in the present.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Don't know much about McDermott (in fact if you go google looking for him the majority of references are for his NBA son) but I do remember him at the helm of Iowa St. It was a very underwhelming tenure. Was he fired from ISU or did he resign?
He left ISU for the Creighton job. His kid, Doug, and Harrison Barnes led Ames High to back to back undefeated championship years.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Mike Brown now a candidate. Ha
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Underwhelming! *clap clap clap-clap-clap*
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Didn't seem underwhelming last November in Las Vegas.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Ohio State made an effective hire, until you find out the contract is for EIGHT years!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Underwhelming! *clap clap clap-clap-clap*
I see it as solid, but not sexy. It's basically a McDermott level hire, so they can say they didn't blow it.

The biggest question is how much of Butler's success was a Stevens carryover and how much was organic. They could have done better, they could have done worse. I could see him succeeding, I could see him failing.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Ohio State made an effective hire, until you find out the contract is for EIGHT years!
Seriously! Would he have said no to a 5 year contract? 8 years? Come on man.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:Ohio State made an effective hire, until you find out the contract is for EIGHT years!
Seriously! Would he have said no to a 5 year contract? 8 years? Come on man.
Yeah for Holtmann at $3M a year? 5/15 should've been able to get that done.