Coaching Searches 2017

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Coop Cat

Coaching Searches 2017

Post by Coop Cat »

NC State is officially open and we are off and running!!!!!
UAEebs86

Re: Coaching Searches 2017

Post by UAEebs86 »

Where are you Shay?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Someone kept the spreadsheet, right?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Coop Cat wrote:NC State is officially open and we are off and running!!!!!
It will be interesting to see which way they go. Archie is probably a good idea. Another might be to try and pick up the guy I suggested for our position when we started thinking about hiring that doucher KO all those years ago: Tony Benett (all 35 games into his coaching career at that point). Looks like his salary s about $2.1M at Virginia; make him an offer he cannot refuse.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Please Archie go to ncstate.

No way Miller would take unc.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Please Archie go to ncstate.

Really? I'm not sold NC State and their current program / rebuild needed / fan base is good enough for Archie right now....When was the last time they had a consistent, good program? Maybe Archie should stay at Dayton for a while longer until something better comes along? I really don't know....
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Please Archie go to ncstate.

Really? I'm not sold NC State and their current program / rebuild needed / fan base is good enough for Archie right now....When was the last time they had a consistent, good program? Maybe Archie should stay at Dayton for a while longer until something better comes along? I really don't know....
I completely agree with all the above, but if Archie is in Raleigh, I doubt Sean takes a job recruiting against and killing bro, 20 minutes to the southwest in Chapel Hill.

I fear what UNC will do when Roy retires.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

EVCat wrote:Someone kept the spreadsheet, right?
Yes, its a shame that thread is lost forever.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

I gotta say, why on earth is Archie still coaching the Flyers? How many successful years does it take to step up? The Flyers are again tournament bound, flirting with the top 25 in both polls, and at 23-5 and 14-2 in the A-10.

Maybe he really likes Ohio and is waiting for that OSU slot to open up (which I'd guess may not be too far into the future)?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Man his wife was is smoking. I hope we get more shots of her this tourney.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAtrue wrote:I gotta say, why on earth is Archie still coaching the Flyers? How many successful years does it take to step up? The Flyers are again tournament bound, flirting with the top 25 in both polls, and at 23-5 and 14-2 in the A-10.

Maybe he really likes Ohio and is waiting for that OSU slot to open up (which I'd guess may not be too far into the future)?
I've always assumed that he learned from Sean that you shouldn't be in a hurry to go P5. Wait and make sure you get a position that offers success.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

A Dayton fan I know said that Archie hates the smoozing. He just wants to coach and Dayton let's him do what he wants. A higher profile program wouldn't let him get away with that
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote:A Dayton fan I know said that Archie hates the smoozing. He just wants to coach and Dayton let's him do what he wants. A higher profile program wouldn't let him get away with that
Just texted a friend who is close with Archie.

"Not true. He's good in a crowd. Just wants to write his own ticket. Bring his coaches, chartered flights, etc"
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

if Archie wants to stay at Dayton and make them a consistent power, then all the power to him. Dayton is a pretty good program and definitely isn't some insignificant mid major. the A-10 has been down the last 2 years but it is generally the top conference after the ACC/Big 10/Big 12/Pac 12/Big East/SEC
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:A Dayton fan I know said that Archie hates the smoozing. He just wants to coach and Dayton let's him do what he wants. A higher profile program wouldn't let him get away with that
Just texted a friend who is close with Archie.

"Not true. He's good in a crowd. Just wants to write his own ticket. Bring his coaches, chartered flights, etc"
This is what I read, though your guy might be closer.
-----------
The thing about Archie Miller is, he hates being the face of the program. He loves coaching. He loves basketball. He hates PR. He is one of the most awkward guys you'll ever see in a press conference, and because of that he comes off as "refreshingly honest". He has never really faced real criticism at UD because he has done so well. I have no idea how he would do in such a critical environment under major scrutiny.

Dayton was so hungry for a winner and he's given it to us... he has barely ever faced any media adversity. And when he has, he has basically maintained radio silence. I don't think that would fly in the Big Ten.

Recruiting is another area where they have maintained massive secrecy. Many UD fans, even the connected ones, have literally no idea that some of these kids were coming here until they declared. We just signed some 20 year old Czech player named Matej Svoboda that literally no one outside the program ever heard of about 5 days before he committed. He has brought in 2 non-qualifiers to UD... Steve McElvene (who passed away this offseason) and Kostas Antetokounmpo... little brother of Giannis who didn't qualify because he went to part of high school in Greece. I don't know how the Big Ten feels about what used to be called "partial qualifiers". For all of the success UD has had, Archie's recruiting has remained at the 3 star or so level... but his coaching is outstanding, so those kids have all overachieved. He has recruited mainly kids like him, ones who feel overlooked but have a high ceiling and a major chip on their shoulder. That's probably not the kind of kid that's going to cut it at IU.

In a private booster setting, the associate AD has said that Archie has asked him to clear out all distraction that is not recruiting and coaching, and the athletic department has done that for Archie. Arch gets paid north of $1.5 million as a total compensation package at UD and is probably in line for another raise this year. I do think he'll move on eventually, but I really thought Florida or Pitt might be the jobs he took last year, and they came and went. People have been saying Indiana or Ohio State is really what he's waiting on for a couple of years now.

They both might be open this offseason, so we're gonna find out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

To me, that sounds like a fan trying to come up with reasons why a coach wouldn't leave.

Can you link that post? I'd like to send it to my friend.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

UAtrue wrote:I gotta say, why on earth is Archie still coaching the Flyers? How many successful years does it take to step up? The Flyers are again tournament bound, flirting with the top 25 in both polls, and at 23-5 and 14-2 in the A-10.

From what I was told, that's exactly what he is doing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bug's Dayton fan sound like Xaiver fan before big Miller left.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

He knows Miller is going to leave
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Cuonzo seems like he'd bail. Probably doesn't want to put up with Oregon, Arizona and UCLA every year. In the sec you just got to worry about finishing 2nd behind Kentucky every year.

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Wonder if they take a flyer on Romar for the sake of the Porter's?
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Cuonzo Martin? Did they not see Cal's record? I'm curious why teams would look to poach him after he couldn't get Rabb and a solid class to play well.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

I know 2 years isn't enough, but Shaka looks like he is in over his head.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What has happened to Ohio state? Since they beat us to go to the elite 8 4 years ago they haven't finished higher than 5th in the big 10 and will miss the tournament back to back years now. And since 2014 they've gone from top 5 recruiting classes to back to back classes around #50

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:What has happened to Ohio state? Since they beat us to go to the elite 8 4 years ago they haven't finished higher than 5th in the big 10 and will miss the tournament back to back years now. And since 2014 they've gone from top 5 recruiting classes to back to back classes around #50
That's a familiar story in the B1G. Terrible league lately.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Chicat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:What has happened to Ohio state? Since they beat us to go to the elite 8 4 years ago they haven't finished higher than 5th in the big 10 and will miss the tournament back to back years now. And since 2014 they've gone from top 5 recruiting classes to back to back classes around #50
That's a familiar story in the B1G. Terrible league lately.

Archie will get them back to contending for final 4s in about 5 years.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Matta is staying one more year. Why you don't make a move for Archie, who knows.

Indiana fans think donovan is in talks to take over for Cream. If he stays in the NBA, Sean Miller is their backup plan. Some want Alford more than Sean, some hope Alford never coaches at Indiana.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Congrats Archie on COY award!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/richmonds- ... ncaab.html" target="_blank

Pretty neat that both the Millers got it this year.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

LSU Open
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Whoa...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can't imagine Archie or Cuonzo want to touch this dumpster fire.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

0-1
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't know if Cuonzo would prefer Missouri or Illinois. If Illinois' incoming class can be saved, that would be the better job.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Can't imagine Archie or Cuonzo want to touch this dumpster fire.
My understanding is Cuonzo is interested in almost any job.

If Cuonzo is the mercenary he seems to be, this might be an ok situation. He would probably basically be able to semi blackmail the AD into a big contract (like 6/18) and then might not need to worry about producing for a couple years, or ever really, with that big contract.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

If I'm Archie I'm much more interested in the Illini job than the NC State job. The Big10 looks wide open. ACC not so much.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RaisingArizona wrote:If I'm Archie I'm much more interested in the Illini job than the NC State job. The Big10 looks wide open. ACC not so much.
If Archie took the Illinois job, I'd throw up in my pants. No Illini-Wildcats brotherhoods, thank you very much. And he should wait for a great opportunity.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Longhorned wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:If I'm Archie I'm much more interested in the Illini job than the NC State job. The Big10 looks wide open. ACC not so much.
If Archie took the Illinois job, I'd throw up in my pants. No Illini-Wildcats brotherhoods, thank you very much. And he should wait for a great opportunity.
I can kinda understand the theory he's putting forward...
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I think Archie could recruit Chicago well. Do that and Illinois is a damn good job IMO. Plus look at the top of the Big10 right now. That mountain can be scaled fairly quickly.

Is N.C. State his dream job? Could be, but if the next move is a stepping stone to a blue blood/elite program down the line than Illinois is the better choice. Missouri is the number 2 job currently open IMO. NC State is just in a really tough spot. It's going to be tough to get that program even to where Dayton is b/c of the competition within the state and conference.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

SCCats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I can kinda understand the theory he's putting forward...

I already told you guys, Archie is replacing Thad when he retires in the next 1-3 years. He's perfectly content to stay at UD until then.

So yeah, he will be coaching in the wide open BIG, just not for Illini.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Why is Thad going to retire again? He's only a year older than Miller.

RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

ASUHATER! wrote:Why is Thad going to retire again? He's only a year older than Miller.

I remember hearing that Thad has a debilitating back issue. I would assume that would be the reason for early retirement. Not sure it happens though as coaches tend to be tough SOBs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RaisingArizona wrote:I think Archie could recruit Chicago well.
Archie has picked up a few lower rated guys from bigger Chicago programs (Simeon & Bradley) but I'm not sure he's ready or willing to put in the dirty work to go up against Kentucky, Duke, MSU, etc. to get the top rated players. And Illinois has some intrinsic problems that will make it really tough to recruit there. One of which is that the AD is a mess and another is that their facilities are subpar. Add that to the fact that they have little to no tradition of excellence and it's not a very ideal job.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Illinois has basically looked around and said, "You know what? We're going to stick with the whole not competing with our competitors approach. But we will put together a steering committee to consider possibilities for a future mascot. In the meantime, let's stay with the "I" in the shape of a composite classical column, and let's not invest in our programs facilities lest faculty members start asking why athletics is a priority when we still have no state budget."
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

Put me on the list of people hoping Archie goes to NC State. I only hope Archie takes a job that will further cement Sean in Tucson, and Archie taking NC State would make Sean to UNC (my fear) very unlikely.

That said, NC State may have an opportunity with Duke and UNC in transition in a couple years. If not Shay Binnion, then who?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

In re UofA wrote:Put me on the list of people hoping Archie goes to NC State. I only hope Archie takes a job that will further cement Sean in Tucson, and Archie taking NC State would make Sean to UNC (my fear) very unlikely.

That said, NC State may have an opportunity with Duke and UNC in transition in a couple years. If not Shay Binnion, then who?
I am completely in this camp.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think a Natty would seal it too. ;)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Gregory to South Florida. Too bad Harlan couldn't get a sniff at the UofA job. He had 2 months to hire a guy and that's who he picked out? No wonder we ended up with Alford..