Emmanuel Akot - ‘The QUITTER’ :-(

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ByJoveByJingle

Re: Emmanuel Akot

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

CalStateTempe wrote:Do what we do?

You all know I am a Miller backer, but we always seem to have a lot of prospects/projects leave early.

At some point it isn’t just on the player and the players camp.

This is pretty shitty news to catch up on even if he kinda sucked in the prerformance/potential ratio.
At least he didn’t punch Miller in the face.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yeah I know, college bb today isn’t why it used to be. Jarrett Comanche Simmons akot that guy at St. John’s, et al would have been amazing for us as senior leaders
Jerrett and Simmons would never had been senior leaders at Arizona or elsewhere. Some highly rated guys are just going to be short timers. Grant and Kobi were out, regardless of where they went.

Comanche's decision was one of the stranger ones. I'm not sure you can protect against that. I do miss Simon, and he looks like he would stay and develop. It's tok bad that's at SJU.

40% of D1 players leave their first school by the end of their soph year, and that number has been on the rise.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/res ... basketball" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yeah I know, college bb today isn’t why it used to be. Jarrett Comanche Simmons akot that guy at St. John’s, et al would have been amazing for us as senior leaders
Luther, Coleman, Jeter, Anderson, Tollefsen, McConnell, Lyons, etc.

Lots of teams can lament the exact same thing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:He was always going to be gone after this year...
By gone do you mean to another school situation, or an "I'm ready for the NBA like Grant Jerrett" situation?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:He was always going to be gone after this year...
By gone do you mean to another school situation, or an "I'm ready for the NBA like Grant Jerrett" situation?
Jerrett got drafted. Akot would not have been drafted.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: 40% of D1 players leave their first school by the end of their soph year, and that number has been on the rise.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/res ... basketball" target="_blank
Thanks for bringing data. Much appreciated.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

You all know I am a Miller backer, but we always seem to have a lot of prospects/projects leave early.

This is pretty shitty news to catch up on even if he kinda sucked in the prerformance/potential ratio.
Source on this is verbalcommits.com

Since 2012 Arizona has had 9 transfers out which is good for T299th out of 414. Also tied for 10th in the PAC-12

Now why it may seem like we have more than others, out of all 414 schools we are 4th in the average star rating of the transfers out. Only Kentucky, Duke and Ohio State have higher average star ratings on transfers out since 2012
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:

Since 2012 Arizona has had 9 transfers out which is good for T299th out of 414. Also tied for 10th in the PAC-12

Now why it may seem like we have more than others, out of all 414 schools we are 4th in the average star rating of the transfers out. Only Kentucky, Duke and Ohio State have higher average star ratings on transfers out since 2012
To be honest, I feel like that's roughly our average recruiting class ranking, which makes sense. We don't lose in greater number, but we lose talented kids, because we get talented kids.

Transfers are reasonably a cross section of our recruiting classes.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

To be honest, I feel like that's roughly our average recruiting class ranking, which makes sense. We don't lose in greater number, but we lose talented kids, because we get talented kids.

Transfers are reasonably a cross section of our recruiting classes.
Very true. Just a stat I was able to find and thought it was potentially why it might seem like Arizona so many transfers when it is actually very low on the list
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Akot was playing 19 minutes per game, averaging 3.9 FGA per game and shooting 39% and grabbing 2.8 boards/game and one assist. Pretty weak numbers. But we needed his spot to protect against foul trouble.

If you’re resigned to transferring, why not keep playing and keep improving and then leave after the season?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:Akot was playing 19 minutes per game, averaging 3.9 FGA per game and shooting 39% and grabbing 2.8 boards/game and one assist. Pretty weak numbers. But we needed his spot to protect against foul trouble.

If you’re resigned to transferring, why not keep playing and keep improving and then leave after the season?
We may have to resign ourselves to the fact the timing is absolutely inexplicable.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:Akot was playing 19 minutes per game, averaging 3.9 FGA per game and shooting 39% and grabbing 2.8 boards/game and one assist. Pretty weak numbers. But we needed his spot to protect against foul trouble.

We may have to resign ourselves to the fact the timing is absolutely inexplicable.
There was no way to see this coming clearly, but he did RECLASSIFY and came on earlier than expected...it seems to me that he probably thinks (or is being told) he is further advanced than he really is...

And no we do not lose a "lot" of players to transfers...hell, Jetter is from DOOK...all teams lose players to transfer...we tend to benefit more than we lose.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
Luther, Coleman, Jeter, Anderson, Tollefsen, McConnell, Lyons, etc.

Lots of teams can lament the exact same thing.
Heck look at our team this year now with Akot gone.

Out of the 12 guys on scholarship right now, 5 are transfers from other programs including Smith, Luther, Coleman, Jeter, and Gettings

All programs go through this, just sadder state of College basketball that so many players transfer or leave before they are really ready.

But Akot is still mind blowing. Outside of getting hurt the next two months, what did he lose by finishing out the season then transferring.

I mean how awkward is it going to be for him the rest of this semester at Arizona...
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

There was no way to see this coming clearly, but he did RECLASSIFY and came on earlier than expected...it seems to me that he probably thinks (or is being told) he is further advanced than he really is...
He was a 5-star after reclassifying and is the correct age for his grade. And even if that wasn’t the case, it doesn’t explain him quitting.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Maybe he didn't want Larry K recruiting over him in the middle of the season. Maybe he wants the utes to win the conference. I don't know.

But where is he gonna practice? Who is he gonna play pick-up with? Who is gonna work with him in Tucson?

I feel bad for him, there was a time where I quit swimming in college cause of the stress of school, I had been down with mono, girl stuff, ab injury, it got overwhelming, but I had people giving me good advice that knew what I wanted in the long run. Glad I didn't quit. Sometimes kids that age just can't see all the ramifications of their decisions. But I'm pretty sure he's uncomfortable where he's at and feels like he needs to make a change. I hope his advisors have his best interest at heart. It's too bad, I thought he was making some strides recently. I hope I didn't bag on him here, I don't think I did.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Maybe he didn't want Larry K recruiting over him in the middle of the season. Maybe he wants the utes to win the conference. I don't know.

But where is he gonna practice? Who is he gonna play pick-up with? Who is gonna work with him in Tucson?

I feel bad for him, there was a time where I quit swimming in college cause of the stress of school, I had been down with mono, girl stuff, ab injury, it got overwhelming, but I had people giving me good advice that knew what I wanted in the long run. Glad I didn't quit. Sometimes kids that age just can't see all the ramifications of their decisions. But I'm pretty sure he's uncomfortable where he's at and feels like he needs to make a change. I hope his advisors have his best interest at heart. It's too bad, I thought he was making some strides recently. I hope I didn't bag on him here, I don't think I did.
Unfortunately these advisors never have the kids best interests at heart

Sad kids and families don’t see that
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Maybe he didn't want Larry K recruiting over him in the middle of the season. Maybe he wants the utes to win the conference. I don't know.

Unfortunately these advisors never have the kids best interests at heart

Sad kids and families don’t see that
They think they do. One of the issues being a big time recruit is that you're surrounded by a bunch of people with their own agendas and ideas about what is best for you. Even well meaning people don't always get things right due to emotion, lack of experience, or just plain messing up.

There's a common goal of wanting EA to be the best basketball player he can be, but the ideas about how diverge rapidly.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Looks like a guy named Tim Davis was Akot’s aau coach and probably where some of his advice comes from.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
There's a common goal of wanting EA to be the best basketball player he can be, but the ideas about how diverge rapidly.
The thing about EA is I'm sure Sean Miller and his staff knew and would probably even admit the current path that they had EA on wasn't going towards that common goal of 1. utilizing EA to the best of his abilities & 2. Setting him on a path to the NBA. His knee issues really set him back his freshman year, so he missed out on valuable experience and being utilized in a role suitable for his skills I.E. a point forward type and then the FBI scandal happened and Arizona's plan at the 3 and 4 spot changed. What set it over the top though was EA's obviously questionable (to say the least) development of his shooting form, which needless to say did not come from the Arizona staff. A lot changed between that 1st season and this one and most of it was out of Sean Miller's hands. Once it became apparent EA wasn't on the path he was initially promised (point forward) and better players at his position were being recruited he stopped wanting to be coached needless to say. So in the end the entire situation has been one huge batch of bad luck and some really bad advice. Not finishing out the season is a bitch move and one orchestrated by a bitch made AAU coach. It is what it is. EA is not a bad dude, but he's taking some really bad advice that has been set in motion by extenuating circumstances (freshman year knee issues and FBI bullshit changing the roster make up and dynamic). I hope the kid stops taking bad advice and fixes his god damn shooting form. Our hands are washed of him either way.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

MC1983 wrote:Looks like a guy named Tim Davis was Akot’s aau coach and probably where some of his advice comes from.
he retweeted this 2 weeks ago
prh

Post by prh »

Jefe wrote:
Akot is never going to be a dynamic PG. He might be a serviceable 3 somewhere, maybe even Utah, but that's his ceiling. Especially if he can't shoot the ball.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Nobody ever wants to take responsibility for their own failures. Everyone looks elsewhere for blame, most of the time.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I understand the hope when he came to Arizona would he could be a point forward. However, has Akot ever shown the ability once that he could fill that roll? He has had numerous opportunities after he gathered a defensive rebound to lead the transition and make something happen and nothing ever happened. Instead he deferred, took an unnecessary long jumper or stopped at the 3pt line.i believe Miller even touched on this in one of his film sessions this year. He has showed nothing at the collegiate level to be able to handle and distribute the ball. I wish him the best as I always rooted for the kid.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:I understand the hope when he came to Arizona would he could be a point forward. However, has Akot ever shown the ability once that he could fill that roll? He has had numerous opportunities after he gathered a defensive rebound to lead the transition and make something happen and nothing ever happened. Instead he deferred, took an unnecessary long jumper or stopped at the 3pt line.i believe Miller even touched on this in one of his film sessions this year. He has showed nothing at the collegiate level to be able to handle and distribute the ball. I wish him the best as I always rooted for the kid.
Freshman year: Knee tendinitis
Sophomore year: ignore all coaching from your college coaches
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Akot is never going to be a dynamic PG. He might be a serviceable 3 somewhere, maybe even Utah, but that's his ceiling. Especially if he can't shoot the ball.
If Akot transfers to Utah he'd have to sit next year and lose one year of eligibility on top of that, so he'd be a senior by the time he'd be eligible. I wouldn't count on the Utes landing him.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Jefe wrote:
HAHAHA.

Look, I have been an Akot supporter, but this statement couldnt be further from the truth. This is the issue with people who "handle" these kids. Akot isnt a PG. Could he become a forward who is capable of handling the ball and facilitating at a higher level than most at his position? Yes.

Problem is, he has a lot of development left to even get to that point, let alone a freaking point guard. Not to mention that fact the dude looks terrified to attack the basket off the dribble.

Everyone(and their handlers) want to play down a position or two, when in reality their skills are ENHANCED playing up a position. Its almost like these guys havent watched basketball in multiple years. LeBron, Ben Simmons and Doncic are the exceptions. The guy Akot should be modeling his game after is Draymond, albeit nowhere near as physical. Unfortunately for Akot, that was likely never going to happen under Miller. Sorry. As much as we want something like that, I will believe it when I see it.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:
Jefe wrote:
I'm a bigger Akot fan than most, but a point forward is a little much. He's a combo forward with decent handles and passing for his size, although he has only intermittently flashed them here.

He has raw ability. He also has a ways to go.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Watched a couple high school/FIBA highlight reels and Im not seeing elite PG skills anywhere. He handled the ball well but all he did was dunk on guys that were shorter than him and shoot. His shot looked much better then.

Those guys on twitter are talking about Utah St as well. Would UA/Miller block his request to go to Utah?
prh

Post by prh »

Seems reasonable to block an in-conference transfer, more so in basketball than football (like Oklahoma just did and then reversed on). Utah State would actually be a good landing spot for him, assuming he wants to go back to (state of) Utah
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

absolutely should block in conference undergrad transfers. Grad transfers should be free to go anywhere
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

As a general rule you block in conference transfers, but the advantage of allowing in conference transfers is that you know your player better than anyone, and if you feel that player will never contribute at a high level on the other team, you allow the transfer to take up a scholarship spot. Since Akot has to sit out a year, Utah would then only suit up 12 scholarship players are best next season.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:As a general rule you block in conference transfers, but the advantage of allowing in conference transfers is that you know your player better than anyone, and if you feel that player will never contribute at a high level on the other team, you allow the transfer to take up a scholarship spot. Since Akot has to sit out a year, Utah would then only suit up 12 scholarship players are best next season.
I think you're right, for us, it would be better to allow it. I do still think Utah State might be a better landing spot though
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If Akot is really stupid enough to go to Utah and lose another year of eligibility just let him do it
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What kind of hallucinogens do you need to be on to see Akot as an elite PG?

And where can I get some?
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I understand the hope when he came to Arizona would he could be a point forward. However, has Akot ever shown the ability once that he could fill that roll? He has had numerous opportunities after he gathered a defensive rebound to lead the transition and make something happen and nothing ever happened. Instead he deferred, took an unnecessary long jumper or stopped at the 3pt line.i believe Miller even touched on this in one of his film sessions this year. He has showed nothing at the collegiate level to be able to handle and distribute the ball. I wish him the best as I always rooted for the kid.
Freshman year: Knee tendinitis
Sophomore year: ignore all coaching from your college coaches
I think (emphasize think) that on top of the bolded part, can you imagine being your second year in & then starting to ignore Sean bleeping Miller? This is a guy who coaches his players really hard at some points. We've seen it time and again for a decade. I think while so many fans are wondering how he quits - it's probably more simple than we think. If he knew he was out anyway, and he's not listening anyway, why take the rough stuff. It's easy to label it as a bitch move but I think you could also look at it as practical. Especially if he ends up going to class & keeping his grades up. He quit on this team a good time before Sunday I suppose is what I'm guessing.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

BearDown89

Re: Emmanuel Akot - ‘The QUITTER’ :-(

Post by BearDown89 »

He didn't do much in Taco Bell Arena last March, but whatever . . .
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

azgreg wrote:
That application for a waiver reason ...“due to the ongoing FBI investigation at Arizona”... is pretty funny.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Akots waiver denied, ineligible this season
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Good
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Waah. Too bad so sad
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Who? Never heard of him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not a Wildcat.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He averaged 10, 3, & 3 on 40% shooting.

The NBA is definitely beating down his door.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Once you enter the transfer portal, your current school can pull your scholarship.

Good way to get rid of a player although not necessarily in this case, don't know if he causes problems or not.