Emmanuel Akot - ‘The QUITTER’ :-(

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SunnyAZ

Re: Emmanuel Akot

Post by SunnyAZ »

Simon is playing really well this year. Grant got an NBA salary for two years I think, not bad. Chol and Victor were fringe players here or anywhere.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Needs more strength in his legs. The knees are fine.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Miller's comments on Akot's knees.

Miller says a lack of strength in his legs is the cause. Working with the training staff on his flexibility and leg strength.

Would be nice if we were proactive with this stuff prior to them arriving - get them on campus for strength, flexibility, conditioning testing. Even offensive and defensive principles (defensive especially) from a mental aspect. Get them materials and a program to work (like we did for Rawle in his strength training before he got here... think he got materials from Rounds in March before he got here).

Not sure to what degree we're allowed to do that but it's surprising to me that Miller and the coaching squad are surprised by the players they get.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

YoDeFoe wrote:Miller's comments on Akot's knees.

Miller says a lack of strength in his legs is the cause. Working with the training staff on his flexibility and leg strength.

Would be nice if we were proactive with this stuff prior to them arriving - get them on campus for strength, flexibility, conditioning testing. Even offensive and defensive principles (defensive especially) from a mental aspect. Get them materials and a program to work (like we did for Rawle in his strength training before he got here... think he got materials from Rounds in March before he got here).

Not sure to what degree we're allowed to do that but it's surprising to me that Miller and the coaching squad are surprised by the players they get.
He did come a year earlier than expected. And I don't think high school bball players are advised to weight lift too much, since most of them don't.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Miller's comments on Akot's knees.

It can be a variety of issues. One is that I'm sure Akot is being pushed harder to perform than ever before. It wouldn't shock me if his knees were fine for HS or practice speed but that Arizona game speed is too much.

Beyond that, it can be challenging to develop leg strength in basketball players. Squats are a great tool, but it's disproportionately hard to use them for basketball players, who tend towards some of the worst body types for squatting. Leg extensions can exacerbate patellar tendon issues, and that does not necessarily leave a ton of room.

I wouldn't be shocked if it's a combo of both of the above.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Some knees are just less stable. ACLs, like many parts of the body, vary. Some are loose...my daughter had "loose knees". She is 17 and will have her 2nd ACL surgery in January, one for each knee. She walked a touch "toe in"...that impacted it. Also, women are more susceptible to ACL tear because of the angle the femur takes into the knee due to hips. A can't imagine a part of our eval being knee stability tests...we would end up passing on a lot of players who turn out fine, I would guess, because loose ligaments does not guarantee a blowout.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:Some knees are just less stable. ACLs, like many parts of the body, vary. Some are loose...my daughter had "loose knees". She is 17 and will have her 2nd ACL surgery in January, one for each knee. She walked a touch "toe in"...that impacted it. Also, women are more susceptible to ACL tear because of the angle the femur takes into the knee due to hips. A can't imagine a part of our eval being knee stability tests...we would end up passing on a lot of players who turn out fine, I would guess, because loose ligaments does not guarantee a blowout.
I'm not really suggesting an eval with a pass/fail, I'm suggesting an eval that results in a recommended workload for the player. For a guy like Rawle that would have been a diet plan and conditioning plan (along with preventative exercises) to cut fat and build stability. For Eman, a bulking and strengthening plan.

I'd also suggest a fundamentals of the packline defense "playbook" with video and animations and diagrams - a tablet preloaded with that and then featuring the individual physical workload as well.

Just spitballing between games...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
EVCat wrote:Some knees are just less stable. ACLs, like many parts of the body, vary. Some are loose...my daughter had "loose knees". She is 17 and will have her 2nd ACL surgery in January, one for each knee. She walked a touch "toe in"...that impacted it. Also, women are more susceptible to ACL tear because of the angle the femur takes into the knee due to hips. A can't imagine a part of our eval being knee stability tests...we would end up passing on a lot of players who turn out fine, I would guess, because loose ligaments does not guarantee a blowout.
I'm not really suggesting an eval with a pass/fail, I'm suggesting an eval that results in a recommended workload for the player. For a guy like Rawle that would have been a diet plan and conditioning plan (along with preventative exercises) to cut fat and build stability. For Eman, a bulking and strengthening plan.

I'd also suggest a fundamentals of the packline defense "playbook" with video and animations and diagrams - a tablet preloaded with that and then featuring the individual physical workload as well.

Just spitballing between games...
I would be really surprised if this is not happening. I got a similar plan entering HS in the mid 1990's.

How well players stick to it, especially with AAU stuff, that's another matter.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Here's hoping he can get to where he's a key contributor, because next year is looking thin. All starters departing.
Right where I want to be.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I think Akot is going to cost Sean Miller a game at the free throw line. He's been playing well though.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

NYCat wrote:I think Akot is going to cost Sean Miller a game at the free throw line. He's been playing well though.
He is god awful so while you maybe right gotta love Pinder's new silky smooth release at the line. Lol.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

NYCat wrote:I think Akot is going to cost Sean Miller a game at the free throw line. He's been playing well though.
Akot simply can't be in the game in a bonus situation, other than quick substitutions for single defensive possessions.

And otherwise, Akot shouldn't be doing anything other than passing around the perimeter. If he can learn to recover on team defense, and not try to do anything on offense, he'll be an enormous improvement on Smith.

When Smith is in the game, all you can do is hold your breath and close your eyes and hope the opponent's run won't be insurmountable by the time Miller can substitute him out again. Akot needs to keep developing in order to keep Smith on the bench.
Last edited by Longhorned on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Akot simply can't be in the game in a bonus situation, other than quick substitutions for single defensive possessions.

And otherwise, Akot shouldn't be doing anything other than passing around the perimeter. If he can learn to recover on team defense, and not try to do anything on offense, he'll be an enormous improvement on Smith.

When Smith is in the game, all you can do is hold your breath and close your eyes and hope the opponent's run won't be insurmountable by the time Miller can substitute him out again. Ayton needs to keep developing in order to keep Smith on the bench.
Solution is simple. More Akot/bench early, less late. I know people rip on Miller for the hockey line substitutions early, but I think that's his goal. Get bench minutes so the starters don't die, and have them early enough so that we can have the guys we trust down the stretch.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I don't get why he was shooting 3s tonight
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Akot shot 37.5% on the year from 3 and 80% in conference play, small sample size for both obviously. Wasn't the right shot, but we weren't doing anything else on that particular possession anyhow.

Akot really deserves some more love. Dug himself out of Miller's dog house and provided helpful minutes off the bench in the late conference season and Pac 12 tournament. During the most important time of our season, he stepped up more than any freshman besides Ayton and he did it during what should have been his senior season in high school. Really hope he sticks around, he is going to be a stud in a couple years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Akot shot 37.5% on the year from 3 and 80% in conference play, small sample size for both obviously. Wasn't the right shot, but we weren't doing anything else on that particular possession anyhow.

Akot really deserves some more love. Dug himself out of Miller's dog house and provided helpful minutes off the bench in the late conference season and Pac 12 tournament. During the most important time of our season, he stepped up more than any freshman besides Ayton and he did it during what should have been his senior season in high school. Really hope he sticks around, he is going to be a stud in a couple years.
I posted this in another thread, but I like Akot, Lee, etc better in terms of the culture they bring than I liked our culture this year.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Why wouldn't he transfer a week or two ago so he could play next December?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

QUITTER
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Why wouldn't he transfer a week or two ago so he could play next December?
Has to be more to it than just lack of minutes next year.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Did he talk to Dennis Latimore? More Lee, if he can stay out of foul trouble.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I wasn't expecting that on this Monday night.
Mike Luke's burner account.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Hmmm...very strange timing. Really don't get it at this point.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

got a link to the story for us foreign underpriviledged

edit: never mind a found a link on 'the' facebook page
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I kept waiting for his breakout game. Now I’ll have to wait another 1.5 years.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
prh

Post by prh »

Olsondogg wrote:I kept waiting for his breakout game. Now I never will.
FTFY
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote:I kept waiting for his breakout game. Now I’ll have to wait another 1.5 years.
Think he had it already.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I woke up this morning still trying to wrap my head around this. A guy who was starting on our team playing almost 20min a game, decided to quit mid-season and then will finish out school and transfer at the end of the semester

I am assuming Miller is numb to all this shit now.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I woke up realizing there has to be more to this story.

It's just too stupid looking at it from the outside.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:I woke up realizing there has to be more to this story.

Well I set the table in my previous posts why he would transfer. The reason he's leaving now though is the same reason he's shooting like Lonzo fucking Ball. He's just listening to some extraordinarily dumb people.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I woke up realizing there has to be more to this story.

Well I set the table in my previous posts why he would transfer. The reason he's leaving now though is the same reason he's shooting like Lonzo fucking Ball. He's just listening to some extraordinarily dumb people.
I understand why he may want to transfer after the season.... or even somewhat understand if he did this 2 weeks ago... but now.....??????
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Newportcat wrote:I woke up this morning still trying to wrap my head around this. A guy who was starting on our team playing almost 20min a game, decided to quit mid-season and then will finish out school and transfer at the end of the semester

Something like this makes me wonder if there's just an issue between the player and coach.

What I mean is, regardless of playing time, is there some issue that (in the player's mind) causes the player to hate the coach so much he wants off the team that badly despite the starting and playing time.

Akot isn't just transferring, he's outright quitting the team, staying in school, and then transferring later with 2 years of eligibility which he won't get to use for a long while.

There has to be something there that causes the player to hate the coach, right?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:I woke up this morning still trying to wrap my head around this. A guy who was starting on our team playing almost 20min a game, decided to quit mid-season and then will finish out school and transfer at the end of the semester

Something like this makes me wonder if there's just an issue between the player and coach.

What I mean is, regardless of playing time, is there some issue that (in the player's mind) causes the player to hate the coach so much he wants off the team that badly despite the starting and playing time.

Akot isn't just transferring, he's outright quitting the team, staying in school, and then transferring later with 2 years of eligibility which he won't get to use for a long while.

There has to be something there that causes the player to hate the coach, right?
Or he just listens to his AAU coach who is currently going through a complete meltdown.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Or he just listens to his AAU coach who is currently going through a complete meltdown.
So his AAU coach hates Miller?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If this decision is influenced by his AAU coach, I guess we’ll be seeing him at an Adidas schoool.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

I know Jim Rosborough was reputed to be a supportive ear to hear player discontent and smooth out player/coach issues under Lute; wasn't Book Richardson someone who performed a similar role for CSM?

Who fulfills that role now? Is this possibly related to a premature loss like Akot's?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He obviously decided this in the last 2 weeks, or else he could have saved a semester of eligibility.

You just now decide you hate the coaches, playing time, etc? The season is over in 2 months!!!! You can't suck it up for that long? Bite your tongue, play hard when your # is called, practice, improve and then make a decision.... in 2 months!!!!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:He obviously decided this in the last 2 weeks, or else he could have saved a semester of eligibility.

You just now decide you hate the coaches, playing time, etc? The season is over in 2 months!!!! You can't suck it up for that long? Bite your tongue, play hard when your # is called, practice, improve and then make a decision.... in 2 months!!!!
He didn't decide anything. An outside party decided it and he said ok.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

His defense will be missed a bit as will his fouls and the minutes he allows Luther and Lee to rest but if he is a mental weakling and a quitter get the fuck out
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:He obviously decided this in the last 2 weeks, or else he could have saved a semester of eligibility.

Especially when you were elevated to starter even though you continue to be a black hole on one side of the court.

I’m not usually one to bash a kid, but this decision was fucking stupid.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Glad he is going to finish out the semester, since that would hurt the team's APR if he left now, if APR is still a thing, but what team would want to take on a quitter? He may just get mad and quit again.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

I know Jim Rosborough was reputed to be a supportive ear to hear player discontent and smooth out player/coach issues under Lute; wasn't Book Richardson someone who performed a similar role for CSM?

Who fulfills that role now? Is this possibly related to a premature loss like Akot's?
I don't think any smooth operator coach could've smoothed it out. Akot's camp didn't like the way he was utilized, they saw him as a point forward, not a power forward. Truth be told that was very likely the route that he was going to be groomed for, but the knee issues occurred and then the FBI stuff happened and yeah...

He was always going to be gone after this year, but his AAU coach stomped his feet, became a colossal fucktard over night, and instead of letting the season play out and then leaving here we are.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

I don't think any smooth operator coach could've smoothed it out. Akot's camp didn't like the way he was utilized, they saw him as a point forward, not a power forward. Truth be told that was very likely the route that he was going to be groomed for, but the knee issues occurred and then the FBI stuff happened and yeah...

He was always going to be gone after this year, but his AAU coach stomped his feet, became a colossal fucktard over night, and instead of letting the season play out and then leaving here we are.
Good. Really sucks but if he cant standup for himself and make the best decisions for himself glad he is gone. Bye bye
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:

He didn't decide anything. An outside party decided it and he said ok.
If that's the case and Akot can't see that these people don't actually have his best interests at heart then he's going to have a tough life and I feel sorry for him.

And now I'm over it. We can plug someone else in to take up his 5 fouls a game and miss wide open shots
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Have to wonder if him only getting 13 minutes at Stanford was the impetus for the timing. Someone somewhere must have been stewing and that was the last straw. Couldn't pull him while on the trip, but sure was quick to make the move getting back to Tucson.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

God I feel so sorry for Miller having to deal with these AAU coaches who have so much control but probably don’t know anything and 99% of the time are only in it for themselves. He is doing his best to run his team with all these hangeroners spitting out all this bullshit constantly in players ears

I guess it makes Miller equal to all of us though having to deal with all of Machina’s bullshit. That’s basically what Machina is, a worthless AAU coach who thinks he knows all
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Do what we do?

You all know I am a Miller backer, but we always seem to have a lot of prospects/projects leave early.

At some point it isn’t just on the player and the players camp.

This is pretty shitty news to catch up on even if he kinda sucked in the prerformance/potential ratio.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Do what we do?

You all know I am a Miller backer, but we always seem to have a lot of prospects/projects leave early.

At some point it isn’t just on the player and the players camp.

This is pretty shitty news to catch up on.
All programs have transfers. Don’t forget where our starting center came from.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah I know, college bb today isn’t why it used to be. Jarrett Comanche Simmons akot that guy at St. John’s, et al would have been amazing for us as senior leaders