USC

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

USC

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

They need their own thread IMO.
zonagrad wrote:And of course by the time they come to McKale, USC will play the game of their lives. They are far and away the biggest disappointment this season. They returned everyone from a year ago and had a schedule that really favored them being a top 5 team. Prior to this season there was chatter that Enfield was the top up and coming coach in the Pac, ready to challenge for conference supremacy. What a disaster it's been for them.
Well not exactly everyone is back from last year.... De’Anthony Melton was being held out but has been declared ineligible per the LA Times http://beta.latimes.com/sports/sportsno ... story.html...I believe he was a starter last year as a Freshman, 27 mpg, 44% FG, 28% 3P% (crappy but only 2 attempts / game), 3.5 assists to 1.8 TOs, 2 steals and 1 block...they refer to him as their ‘glue guy’.......and 3 of their guys (2 studs) are injured as of now; Boatwright (STUD), Jonah Matthews (deadly shooter and significant contributor) and Derryck Thornton (Duke Transfer).....They only had 7 players for that OT loss if you don’t count the scrub who played 2 minutes.

Anyways, their losses, except for Princeton, aren’t that bad so far; A&M at home, @SMU (who looks pretty good and we lost to them), Oklahoma at home by only 2....before the Princeton debacle in OT. Not sure I’d count them out yet but agree that it’s been disappointing so far mostly with this last loss though as A&M and Oklahoma look like FF caliber teams at this point.

This Princeton loss is a huge black eye though and unless they pull out some major wins by advancing in Maui at the Diamonhead Classic, there only chances for quality wins going forward will be at ‘Guard U’ (lmao of at that ironic nickname) and at McKale.....so that will be their Super Bowl Game for sure......not sure they will go dancing at this point as I expect ASU to have fallen back to earth by then and they won’t beat us at home....Also not sure their 2 games vs UCLA will help or hurt their RPI as I expect UCLA to be a middling P12 Team.

Strange year so far......

PS. Can you imagine where we would be with a 4 year stud PG like Jordan McLaughlin??? Damn.
az91

Re: USC

Post by az91 »

It is interesting that according to the article, the ruling on Melton being ineligible is not related to the $5,000 that a family friend received to steer him to Dawkins and Sood, but new information, which has not been disclosed.
Bangkok Wildcat

USC showing some signs of life after advancing to the Diamond Head Final by beating Akron the Middle Tennessee....oddly enough some of their board thought there was no way they could beat them....not sure why but good to see them advance.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:USC showing some signs of life after advancing to the Diamond Head Final by beating Akron the Middle Tennessee....oddly enough some of their board thought there was no way they could beat them....not sure why but good to see them advance.

Agreed. But now I'm in a quandary. I've always liked the Aggies. Hoping for a good close game today.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Bangkok Wildcat

Congrats to USC winning the Diamond Head Classic 77-72 over NMSU.....good for the P12. Sorry dovecanyoncat.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Really enjoyed the contest. The Aggies punched above their weight class; Boatwright had a great game.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Bangkok Wildcat

USC suspending Metu for only half a game as well as removing him from being a captain as punishment for intentionally punching a player in the nuts is unbelievable IMO and reeks of desperation from Andy Enfield.....I can’t believe the PAC 12 is ok with this.....seems a bit weak especially considering he has a ‘Grayson Allen’ kind of history already. Smh.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Watching the Condoms against the Aggies: Shorts' game against us was waay better than the last two he's had. Seems like that happens all the time.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

He cussed out enfield on the Oregon trip and was suspended

I bet enfield deserved it too
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

How much longer does Enfield have? His recruiting's been solid, but his results have been abysmal. Very Alfordian.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Not exactly basketball related, but everything else going on at USC is worth the long read from Los Angeles Magazine on How USC Became The Most Scandal Plagued Campus in America - from Los Angeles Magazine: https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/usc-scandals-cover/" target="_blank

A brief timeline:

Sept 2014: Fund manager Steve Cohen buys his daughter’s admission for $5 Million

Oct 2015: Steve Sarkisian fired for public intoxication at football team events and pep rally’s

Mar 2016: The Medical School Dean resigns after investigation reveals his hosting of Meth and Ecstasy fueled parties for associates, one of whom ODed in his presence

Jun 2016: AD Pat Haden steps down after investigation reveals his pocketing of $2.4 Million in charitable donations from foundation for underserved youth

Jun 2017: Campus building named after OJ Simpson’s getaway driver

Oct 2017: Vice President Carrera forced to step down amid multiple claims of sexually harassing female colleagues

Oct 2017: Replacement Medical School dean is ousted after surfacing of sexual harassment case from 2003

May 2018: USC gynecologist George Tyndall resigns with hefty payout amidst investigations into three decades of sexually abusing patients; Settlements are expected to cost USC upwards of $500 Million

Feb 2019: And, of course, we all know about USC finding itself at the center of the FBI’s admissions bribery case
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U$C = Undeniably Second Class

My sister went there so the hate is strong with me.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Peace out Lynn Swann
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How does USC play Villanova in an exhibition game. I thought you could only play D-2 or play another D-1 team without fans? What am I missing here
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:How does USC play Villanova in an exhibition game. I thought you could only play D-2 or play another D-1 team without fans? What am I missing here

I think it's for charity if that makes a difference.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:How does USC play Villanova in an exhibition game. I thought you could only play D-2 or play another D-1 team without fans? What am I missing here
https://www.dailynews.com/2019/10/17/us ... ball-test/" target="_blank
The Trojans will host Villanova on Friday in a full, 40-minute exhibition that will raise money for the California Fire Foundation.

Both athletic departments worked together to set up the exhibition. Villanova was looking for the chance for a West Coast trip and contacted USC. The NCAA rule for public exhibitions is the proceeds must go to charity, and the teams agreed to the cause that supports firefighters and their families.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well then we need to go home and home with North Carolina instead of messing around with a closed scrimmage in Phoenix
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We still need revenge against UNC for that 92-64 home loss in Lute's last season. Haven't played them since. Still the worst in person basketball game experience I've ever had. Waiting for hours outside in like 25-30 degree weather in Tucson for a seat in McKale and getting blown out.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ASUHATER! wrote:We still need revenge against UNC for that 92-64 home loss in Lute's last season. Haven't played them since. Still the worst in person basketball game experience I've ever had. Waiting for hours outside in like 25-30 degree weather in Tucson for a seat in McKale and getting blown out.
Fucking same dude.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:We still need revenge against UNC for that 92-64 home loss in Lute's last season. Haven't played them since. Still the worst in person basketball game experience I've ever had. Waiting for hours outside in like 25-30 degree weather in Tucson for a seat in McKale and getting blown out.
Fucking same dude.

When Miller canceled the UNC game early in his tenure at Arizona, he said the series might resume once UA gets competitive again.

Still waiting...

Although home and home series are getting pretty rare and most teams want a neutral venue now.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This was the NCAA and not the IARP, right?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:46 am This was the NCAA and not the IARP, right?
Correct.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Hopefully the IARP looks at the penalties the ncaa is handing out and makes similar decisions.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:D
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:11 am :D
Amazing. I mean, it's hard to fault a historically mediocre program for celebrating something like this, but I wonder if the players are actually beaming with pride over winning three games in the tournament. Maybe it says more about our "trophy culture."
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

'Smatter Andy Boy. Condoms better unsheathe their game plan.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

One would expect USC to break 80 on their home court against The Beach. What's the matter Andy Boy?

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The Condoms had better unsheathe their game plan against the Ducks.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Do the Condoms have a couple of spurts left in them?

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Obviously he's a great player. But I'd anticipate the zoo of having his father hanging around and expecting to be deferred to is going to be a distraction kind of like LaVar Ball, and the LA media will be all over it. Bronny's team played a tough schedule, but they lost 11 games. It'll definitely be interesting.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:08 pm Obviously he's a great player. But I'd anticipate the zoo of having his father hanging around and expecting to be deferred to is going to be a distraction kind of like LaVar Ball, and the LA media will be all over it. Bronny's team played a tough schedule, but they lost 11 games. It'll definitely be interesting.
This is gonna make LaVar look like a silent fan in the upper colonnade seats.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

His commitment was mentioned on the NBA playoff pre-game.

There’s something to be said for that kind of publicity.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:32 pm His commitment was mentioned on the NBA playoff pre-game.

There’s something to be said for that kind of publicity.
It’s a flash in the pan for USC. They’re not going anywhere, not in the bigger scheme of things. Anyone remember OJ Mayo? He was a much better player than Bronny. Trojans will be good next season, their final in the Pac, and they’ll then proceed to become a second/third tier basketball program in the Big 10.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

USC also getting the #1 recruit in the class so it's a pretty good class for them
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Is there any team in the country that does less with so much talent?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:38 am Is there any team in the country that does less with so much talent?
Kentucky but I get your point. Problem is Enfield doesn't seem capable of building a team that can win against the top teams in the conference
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

To be fair he just has trouble with Arizona. I think his record against UCLA is respectable.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does anyone actually think Bronny is a future first rounder? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but so far, in the games I've watched him, he looks like a solid player, not a star. His future is a marginal NBA player at best. Hopefully the Lakers can sign him next year, and we'll get to see him play with his dad for a couple years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:16 am Does anyone actually think Bronny is a future first rounder?
I have never seen Bronny play, not even highlight reels, but I imagine some team will take a flyer on him in the first round just so the Lakers have to trade for him. Give up two future 1st round picks or something like that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:51 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:16 am Does anyone actually think Bronny is a future first rounder?
I have never seen Bronny play, not even highlight reels, but I imagine some team will take a flyer on him in the first round just so the Lakers have to trade for him. Give up two future 1st round picks or something like that.
Yeah, could see that.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:51 pm
This was my exact thoughts as well. Lebron wants to play with his son and there'll be an NBA team willing to draft Bronny undeservedly high to sway him over.

However, there are what should be two increasing points of hesitation when it comes to drafting Bronny to get Lebron:

1) Bronny isn't that good. He's not a one-and-done. He'll need several years in college to develop into a propect worth drafting, likley as a role player off the bench.

2) The longer it takes for Bronny improve, the older his Dad gets. At some point age will fully catch up to Lebron and willing NBA teams won't be excited or see the novelty in bringing Lebron aboard.

When you see pictures of Bronny next to his Dad, he has nowhere near the imposing physical presence. That right there is a buzzkill for most of the NBA.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Fact. USC basketball just became a "hot ticket" for the TV market merely with the addition of Bronny. Fact.

It's likely that Arizona, and other Pac-12 teams will get less nationally broadcast games as a consequence next season.

Ironically, Bronny might not even be a starter his frosh year.

And, if he does, in fact, develop as many project, he'll be worthy of USC's TV time when USC is in the BIG.

OTOH, Enfield is going to be operating under a spotlight that could easily become lose/lose for the coach.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

He's not even the best James kid when all is said and done.