Coaching Carousel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by Chicat »

Surprised Bryce Drew isn’t at the top of their list.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Say what now?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well that would be a shocker and you have to wonder if they would reach out to Lloyd
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:36 pm Well that would be a shocker and you have to wonder if they would reach out to Lloyd
Kentucky’s first call would have to be to Dan Hurley, wouldn’t it?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't think Dan would leave UConn.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:36 pm Well that would be a shocker...
Yes, a shocker.

My first rationalization is that Calipari wants to coach where the fanbase hasn't seen through him yet. Kentucky fans have long seen through Calipari and at this point are vocal about it. Calipari knows this and misses being worshipped for what he isn't.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is this just smoke and no fire? Why tf would Calipari leave UK, where he’ll always make more money and get better players ?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I figured he’d take a buyout and retire.

Hard to imagine Dan taking the call too seriously. But their 5/50 offer is going to cause shockwaves somewhere.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Wow. I knew his time at Kentucky was almost done, but I sure as fuck didn't see him taking the Arkansas job.

I think Tommy's Sweet 16 record works in our favor, because I can't see Kentucky seriously going after him. Just my opinion though. It'll be very interesting to see who they get.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nate oats. IMO
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

So after all these years of waiting we're finally getting Calipari after all! :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Using all-time regular season wins, that is the equivalent of going from Michigan to Army in football.
-JB
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Tyson>KFC
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Would make zero sense for Hurley to leave UConn. He’s got that program rolling in a way it rarely has before.

UK should hire Barnes, Sampson or Shaka.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm Would make zero sense for Hurley to leave UConn. He’s got that program rolling in a way it rarely has before.

Scheer says it's Scott Drew or Nate Oats.
-JB
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nate Oats
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

If Hurley is offered and rejects, Kentucky should go after Drew.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:47 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm Would make zero sense for Hurley to leave UConn. He’s got that program rolling in a way it rarely has before.

Scheer says it's Scott Drew or Nate Oats.

Outside of the Covid tainted championship, it's been a while since Baylor made it out of the first weekend.

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Oh Jeez another round like Saban retiring. Something tells me Kentucky is going to see what it is like for normal programs when their entire highly rated recruits leave plus any players that were already there. Plus having a guy say he will fund the NIL by himself......wow.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I have a ton of UK fan friends. They are all happy. They’ve wanted him gone for years. They’re spoiled and have big expectations every year (even when they shouldn’t).

Cal probably wants to start fresh with what I would call 70-80% of the fan base turned on him. He wants a fresh start and to be able to stick it to them in their own conference.

I think UK calls these guys:

Dan Hurley (apparently he is willing to discuss it)

Scott Drew (I don’t think he has the attitude/personality required to coach that team)

Billy Donovan (worth a shot. If nothing else make him say no and then everyone can quit bringing his name up for other jobs, because if he won’t take that job, he’s never coming back to college)

Bruce Pearl (perfect personality, might be too old)

Nate Oats (I think this who they end up with)
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Guys like Sampson (68) and Barnes (69) are way too old. Nate Oats makes sense, and even though he has something like a $18million buy out, with KY not owing a dime any more to Calipari, if they wanted to pay it, they would and could.

One name that is a total wildcard is Sean Miller. Lexington is only about 90 minutes away from Cincinnati, and Miller already understands the pressure of coaching at a basketball school. Not sure if Miller would like to take his family back into that sort of pressure cooker environment, but it's hard to turn down the money KY is going to offer their next coach.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

In the article on ESPN they mention CTL but say he just signed a new contract. Not sure how Nate qualifies because in a good year he lost more games then Cal did in about 3 at the beginning of his run.

Yahoo sports says this under the heading top tier.
Tommy Lloyd
The numbers speak for themselves. In three seasons as a head coach, Lloyd is 88-20 at Arizona with two trips to the Sweet 16. And at age 49, he’s probably just getting started. Though he recently signed a new deal with the Wildcats, this is a bit of an unstable time at Arizona with school-wide budget issues, an upcoming conference change from the Pac-12 to the Big 12 and a new athletics director in Desiree Reed-Francois. Though it would cost a lot of buyout money to get Lloyd out of that deal – upwards of $12 million – it’s worth it if you think he’s the guy who can deliver championships.
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

Not sure if Kentucky boosters and fans would want to trade in a coach who for the last few seasons been losing as higher seed for another who has done the same.

I don’t see Tommy being really considered. But I do worry what happens if another P5 coach is poached by Kentucky and the downward effects - like the football coaching changes
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hasn't the UA lost in the NCAAs to a seed ranked 4 positions or more below them 5 or 6 appearances in a row?

Although some posters may not agree, but for some of us it's all about the NCAAs. Regular season is all about getting a good seed, not about hanging regular season championship banners from the rafters of obsolete conferences.

In that context, if Kentucky fans feel like I do, then Miller and Lloyd are not good fits unless they are happy with "if just 2 more baskets would have gone in!" excuses.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:17 am Hasn't the UA lost in the NCAAs to a seed ranked 4 positions or more below them 5 or 6 appearances in a row?

Although some posters may not agree, but for some of us it's all about the NCAAs. Regular season is all about getting a good seed, not about hanging regular season championship banners from the rafters of obsolete conferences.

In that context, if Kentucky fans feel like I do, then Miller and Lloyd are not good fits unless they are happy with "if just 2 more baskets would have gone in!" excuses.
Then, why do you even bother with the regular season? An awfully large investment for such merely preliminary practice time...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I know it’s an unpopular option around here, but if UK is looking for championships, millers mid major gimicky ball play and tight teams aren’t gonna get it done for them.

But I’ll enjoy the hubris of them thinking it might work
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:32 am I know it’s an unpopular option around here, but if UK is looking for championships, millers mid major gimicky ball play and tight teams aren’t gonna get it done for them.

But I’ll enjoy the hubris of them thinking it might work
This. Miller, in this case, will not win the press conference with Kentucky fans.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oats would make sense, but it would be weird to have two coaches move to new teams in THE SAME LEAGUE. Even with Smith taking the Stanford job, they’re now in the ACC.

Not sure about Drew.

Billy D would probably win the press conference in a way no one else could.
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

Wonder if Oats will even be in the conversation if Alabama didn’t make it to the F4.

In the same vein what if Tommy did
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don’t think the aw shucks assassin demeanor would will the pressor in Lexington.

When do you think we see the puffs of white smoke from a bourbon barrel?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:25 pm Is this just smoke and no fire? Why tf would Calipari leave UK, where he’ll always make more money and get better players ?
Because the UK fanbase is at his door with torches and pitchforks........and he is going to get canned anyway somewhere down the road.

At Arkansas he gets a much longer contract ($$$$$$) and he has a whole new fanbase to disappoint.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:14 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:25 pm Is this just smoke and no fire? Why tf would Calipari leave UK, where he’ll always make more money and get better players ?
Because the UK fanbase is at his door with torches and pitchforks........and he is going to get canned anyway somewhere down the road.

At Arkansas he gets a much longer contract ($$$$$$) and he has a whole new fanbase to disappoint.
Yeah, I'm seeing this now.

Also, he did win a title with Kentucky and got to multiple FFs. So it's not like he didn't deliver. He won the same number of titles there that Pitino did.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bring back slick Rick! Lol
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hear there’s good Italian and assistant coach’s wives to bang in Lexington.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:18 am

Also, he did win a title with Kentucky and got to multiple FFs. So it's not like he didn't deliver. He won the same number of titles there that Pitino did.
That's true BC97. But it's been ten years and given the history and resources that UK has, his track record has been dismal. In my opinion, he should have left after their last EE during the Zion year. Leave on a semi high note. if he had, him and Jay Wright would have been in the same boat. Respected and highly coveted.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RawleArenas wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:29 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:18 am

That's true BC97. But it's been ten years and given the history and resources that UK has, his track record has been dismal. In my opinion, he should have left after their last EE during the Zion year. Leave on a semi high note. if he had, him and Jay Wright would have been in the same boat. Respected and highly coveted.
Zion went to Duke.

I'm just not a fan of coaches jumping around. It's one thing if a guy gets fired. It's another if he's forced out or if he goes house hunting for a more loaded crib.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Could they get Wright out of retirement?
Oats is probably front runner (most likely to take job).
Could Greg Byrne poke us in the eye, again?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The names I don't hear but thought I would are Mark Few (arguably done more with less) and Bill Self whose buy out I think is less the Nate's. I think I would approach Skaka.

Kentucky would be a terrible fit for Few but I can see Self there.

Greg Byrne could certainly poke us in the eye again.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

You can scratch Nate Oats off the list.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Oh Azcatgirl, I don’t know.

I’ve seen those posts before. Sometimes it means “raise your offer by a million dollars a year.”
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SCCats wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:08 pm Oh Azcatgirl, I don’t know.

I’ve seen those posts before. Sometimes it means “raise your offer by a million dollars a year.”
I don't think Oats would say something like this publicly if he was seriously thinking of taking another job. No reason to.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:11 pm

I don't think Oats would say something like this publicly if he was seriously thinking of taking another job. No reason to.
We will see.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:11 pm

You mean like this guy
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

That's not even close to the same situation though.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AZCatGirl wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:56 pm That's not even close to the same situation though.
How about this?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Prop bet: Over/under on number of UK players/recruits that follow Cal to Arkansas.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

UK coaching prospects:

Oats - unlikely - buyout is too high even for UK

Self - not even a remote chance - he already refused the super big $$$ from Oklahoma State & Warren Buffet

CSM - unlikely, he's not a guy who'd win the presser

Pitino - outside chance - groom his son as replacement??

Dan Hurley - nope! (Why step down??)

Scott Drew - his job if he wants it

Billy Donovan - 2nd choice if he wants it

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UK isn’t gonna win this press conference, are they?