Coaching Carousel

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:06 am UK isn’t gonna win this press conference, are they?
UK might not be "UK" any more, sorta like UCLA is no longer "UCLA" anymore....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:15 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:06 am UK isn’t gonna win this press conference, are they?
Good comparison, but I think UK can get back to being themselves, unlike ucla. Lexington is a college town, and there’s a HUGE audience for UK hoops, both locally and nationally. The timing is hard right now because there isn’t an obvious coaching candidate, the way there was with Calipari years back. But trust me, that UK job remains highly coveted, and they can reemerge.

None of the above is true about ucla.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Do it … pulll the trigger on Sean miller, I dare you UK
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:55 am Do it … pulll the trigger on Sean miller, I dare you UK
Will. Never. Happen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:55 am Do it … pulll the trigger on Sean miller, I dare you UK
CSM is just the kind of ruthless motherfucker who would kill it at Kentucky in recruiting, and he’s come around to a more free flowing offensive system and now actually puts up points instead of just trying to prevent them.

He won’t get a call from UK but he’d rock that shit if he did.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:42 am
pc in NM wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:15 am
Good comparison, but I think UK can get back to being themselves, unlike ucla. Lexington is a college town, and there’s a HUGE audience for UK hoops, both locally and nationally. The timing is hard right now because there isn’t an obvious coaching candidate, the way there was with Calipari years back. But trust me, that UK job remains highly coveted, and they can reemerge.

None of the above is true about ucla.
Good points, all. We'll see. Personally, I just never liked UKkk; I did like UCLA in the past.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:03 am
CSM is just the kind of ruthless motherfucker who would kill it at Kentucky in recruiting, and he’s come around to a more free flowing offensive system and now actually puts up points instead of just trying to prevent them.

I love Sean too.

If he were coming off a S16 run with Xavier, maybe he’d get a call.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:54 am

I love Sean too.

Well, at UK, the more they believe the ESPN lies & rumors about CSM, the better his chances!! :roll:

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I love Sean too.

Of course, but this was always going to be a down year just because of the talent he had available to work with.

CSM would in no way win the press conference (especially since there’s no way anyone would believe he was even their third choice - so they’d be hiring him after a few high profile rejections) but he’d win Big Blue Nation over eventually. Of that, I have no doubt.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:26 am

I love Sean too.

Of course, but this was always going to be a down year just because of the talent he had available to work with.

CSM would in no way win the press conference (especially since there’s no way anyone would believe he was even their third choice - so they’d be hiring him after a few high profile rejections) but he’d win Big Blue Nation over eventually. Of that, I have no doubt.
One of the things Sean proved at AZ was that if he's given the job at a premier program, he can bring in just about any player/class he wants, with very few exceptions. Ayton, Gordon, Stan Johnson, RHJ, Lauri...his recruiting at AZ was spectacular. Put him at UK, and it would be a lot like Calipari being there.
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

Word on the interweb is Hurley been offered 11 mil a year. That’s insane. No wonder inflation won’t go away….
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Billy Donovan would be a home run hire. But Donovan left Florida because he didn't enjoy recruiting any more. And this was before the transfer portal and NIL. I don't see him going back to the college game. Drew from Baylor would be one coach that would take the job, and Baylor could hire brother Bryce, who just won GCU's first ever NCAA tournament game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Perfect example of the Conference of Champions, 3 nattys! No better time to leave.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Shades of Scheer hiding in the bushes at the Tucson airport looking for Tim Floyd.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

It's different watching from the sidelines this time
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

https://maps.app.goo.gl/knTCCf2sDPNP1UPw6?g_st=ic

Kentucky fans found the restaurant Scott Drew was having lunch with a booster and flooded the reviews.

Look at the last hour reviews - It’s pretty hilarious
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Now who goes to Lexington for Mexican food when you are living in Texas?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Restaurant was in Waco according to reports Ii have seen.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

If Kentucky can't get the top-4 candidates, some Kentucky fans would want Lloyd, https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/thre ... ks.412364/
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Irish27 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:17 pm If Kentucky can't get the top-4 candidates, some Kentucky fans would want Lloyd, https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/thre ... ks.412364/
I think there's a better chance of Bronny being a lotto pick than there is of Lloyd being the next Kentucky coach.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Seems like it's Baylor's turn to steal some school's coach
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does Drew win the press conference for Kentucky?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’ve heard it could be Jerome Tang.

KSU will be next on the carousel
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:06 am

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Getting interviewed by UK is, in itself, a great career booster, not to mention recruiting gold!!

― Kinky Friedman
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Turning down UK to stay at Baylor.

I’m a big “the grass isn’t always greener” guy, but hot damn.
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

He wants it but family isn’t sold. Sounds like a good family man who doesn’t prioritize himself.

Wonder who’s on the second list. Sean Miller keeps popping up. After Xavier doing him a solid by rehiring him, leaving would be pretty low
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Drews family has lived in the Waco area for 20 years. The children grew up there. The family considers it home and doesn't want to leave. I think that is a solid decision. Money isn't everything.
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

Shades of Lute Olson with the Kentucky search years ago. Baylor should just build that statue now
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Djcat wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:52 am He wants it but family isn’t sold. Sounds like a good family man who doesn’t prioritize himself.

Wonder who’s on the second list. Sean Miller keeps popping up. After Xavier doing him a solid by rehiring him, leaving would be pretty low
I think CSM could do some top-notch coaching there, but might have a rougher go culturally.

His hire at this point, would seem to many a lot like the hiring of Mick Cronin at UCLA...

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Djcat wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:13 am Shades of Lute Olson with the Kentucky search years ago. Baylor should just build that statue now
But, in Lute's case, it was family, Bobbie, in particular, who nixed the deal.

― Kinky Friedman
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

What a rollercoaster for Kentucky fans!
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I'm not at all worried about Lloyd taking that job, for two reasons:

1. Didn't he say that Arizona was the only program he would have left Gonzaga for?

2. If he did take the first satchel of money that is thrown at him, he would show that he is no better than Fisch.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Kentucky just needs to hire the one man perfect for the job, Rick Pitino
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

The calls for his (Tommy) name is getting a little louder. Could be from clueless media types and certain fans. But Kentucky’s AD could be getting desperate. It’s not a good look right now for him. Desperate people do funny things.
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

Fishclamps wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:43 am Kentucky just needs to hire the one man perfect for the job, Rick Pitino
If so…….
Ticket prices for the Arkansas Kentucky game will be Super Bowl level
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

https://twitter.com/BUDREW/status/1778451916395081730

I don’t know how to embed so adding the link. I don’t think Kentucky and Scott will be a good fit. Baylor is the forever place for him
Last edited by Djcat on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

The biggest problem with Kentucky is they have one of the most insane fanbases in the country. They were calling the Mexican restaurant to confirm he was there after he tweeted that picture yesterday.

Not saying Drew couldn't handle it, but I bet it was a turn off for the rest of the family, especially his wife.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Is Bruce Pearl still a possibility?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Fishclamps wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:57 am The biggest problem with Kentucky is they have one of the most insane fanbases in the country. They were calling the Mexican restaurant to confirm he was there after he tweeted that picture yesterday.

Not saying Drew couldn't handle it, but I bet it was a turn off for the rest of the family, especially his wife.
This right here is why I’m not even worried about Tommy being considered. Why would he want to be part of that circus? He likes a more quiet life which he’d never have at Kentucky.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:03 am
Fishclamps wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:57 am The biggest problem with Kentucky is they have one of the most insane fanbases in the country. They were calling the Mexican restaurant to confirm he was there after he tweeted that picture yesterday.

This right here is why I’m not even worried about Tommy being considered. Why would he want to be part of that circus? He likes a more quiet life which he’d never have at Kentucky.
The first game he loses at Kentucky, and during the post game with reporters, saying something like the players gave it their all but the other team was just better……pitch forks from their fans will be out

His personality definitely won’t fly with that insane fan base.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Their largest boosters, the Crafts, are a coal baron and his wife with a failed political career. Imagine having to deal with those psychos.
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

Fishclamps wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:14 am Their largest boosters, the Crafts, are a coal baron and his wife with a failed political career. Imagine having to deal with those psychos.
You mean being the UN ambassador isn’t a successful political career? ;)

Read somewhere Pititno despise them
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Well their plane went to NYC this morning so, either doing some shopping or maybe they're finally gonna take a stab at Pitino?
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

Would love to see it. The Pitino revenge tour. Will be a circus.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think they need to go younger than some of the names I’m hearing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sean’s gonna need up there I bet

Lots of grass in Lexington, but closes to family, Amy would probably be cool with it.