Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by 84Cat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: The panic in the comments is hilarious
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

A Mormon who has double digit losses most years and never won a conference championship?

Can't imagine that will win the presser.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Pope's also never won a game in the NCAA Tournament. Five years at BYU, one COVID year, 1 no bid, 1 NIT bid, and 2 first round losses. Can't see Kentucky fans too happy about this record. Sean Miller might not win the press conference either, but he has taken two teams to the Sweet 16 and has 3 Elite 8 trips. Only Pope has over Miller is being an alum, and being 4 years younger.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:31 pm A Mormon who has double digit losses most years and never won a conference championship?

Can't imagine that will win the presser.
That would be a shit sandwich of a presser.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just can't even imagine having BYU code of conduct athletes then trying to deal with elite athletes who are normal college aged students doing normal college aged student things. Kind of reminds me of Ben Lindsey who won two NAIA championships, then had to deal with scholarship athletes at Arizona.

Recall one BYU athlete a few years back had premarital sex and was kicked off the team.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

It's happening
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Kentucky set to hire Pope feels a lot like Kentucky hiring Billy Gillispie from Texas A&M back in 2007. Except with less excitement and less potential upside. Lexington will chew Pope up and spit him out. A placeholder, like Gillispie, until the "right" guy becomes available. Then, like Gillispie, preemptively run out of the building.

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Panic hiring always works out well.

Maybe next time spend a week or two on the search before settling on the guy you could have gotten at literally any time.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

AD should be fired. Everyone knew Cal was on the clock. He should have gauged coaches for interest 6 months ago then make a move.
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

He caved to boosters and rabid fans unrealistic expectations and demands. He got the wrong signal too. Thought his crush Scott Drew will come running or Hurley will fall for the big bag of cash. Pretty sure he didn’t think he will have to fall back on Plan C
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pope should have been Plan F.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:12 am Pope should have been Plan F.
Agree but the AD had him at C. Livengod level buffoonery

We almost got Tim Floyd…..
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

This is mind-boggling. I think the fanbase thinks any coach UK wants will come crawling to coach for them. Very unrealistic expectations. There are a lot of reasons not to coach at UK, the rabid fanbase being one of them, creating a pressure cooker. Often coaches like where they coach and are settled in. Why would they want to uproot a good situation, even if the money is good. There are a lot of delusional fanbases, and UK is one of the blue bloods on this list.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Naturally, the Lexington newspaper is spinning it as a good thing:

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

:lol:

AD getting roasted, but not ratioed so I guess that's a good thing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My oh my how the mighty have fallen.

This isn't just losing the press conference. It's hiring Kevin for David Wallace's job.

I guess the ucla situation from a few years back wasn't an isolated incident. Programs with unrealistic expectations are no longer able to poach whoever they want, whenever they want. I remember when the UNC job opened up in 2003, it was seemingly preordained that Williams would leave Kansas for UNC, given his history with that program. UNC was able to get a guy who'd already been to four FFs, and I don't even think they had to sweat it out.

It's also crazy how fantastic hiring Lloyd looks in hindsight. Think of it: we could've had Mark Pope.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Here's the thing though, this could work out great for Kentucky. Now that so many schools are having to take flyers on unproven coaches, you just never know.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

If Pope matches or exceeds Cal's level, then this is a homerun hire. Kentucky fans will give Pope a little more rope, because he's an alumni. If Pope fails, and doesn't last his first full contract, then expectations will be lower, and the next guy can come in and reach Cal's level and fans will be happy just to be back there.

The latter is much more likely to happen than the former with Pope. Let's be honest, would any blue blood even mention Pope as a candidate unless he was an alum? No. And alumni hires that other schools in the conference wouldn't hire rarely work out.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Fishclamps wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:02 am Here's the thing though, this could work out great for Kentucky. Now that so many schools are having to take flyers on unproven coaches, you just never know.
If Calipari weren't in the SEC, I'd be more willing to consider this possibility. Cal is going to get better recruiting classes than Pope. Every year.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Any scuttlebutt on who BYU is targeting?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fishclamps wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:08 am Any scuttlebutt on who BYU is targeting?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

They even got Rick singing his praises!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can't even get my head around the level of PR desperation emanating from that Pitino video. Since when do we need Xitter letters of rec from former bosses, just to keep Kentucky fans from walking into the ocean this morning?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Those Barnhart tweets have a real Jeb Bush “Please Clap” quality to them.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This is almost as bad as a certain powerhouse in the West having to settle for a no name lifelong assistant coach...
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I hate when fans rip the hire of a new head coach. Give the guy a chance and be quiet.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Be thankful BYU won’t be knocking on Tommy’s door.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I knew Dan Monson would land on his feet. Glad it was a lot sooner than I expected.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

He should have held out for BYU
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Has deep roots in the area. His dad still lives in Spokane. Probably feels like coming home to him.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I guess you have to be a Mormon to be a BYU coach. Don't think any other religious schools require the coach to be the same religion as the school sponsor.

Only 2 years coaching in college, all the rest have been in different pro leagues so very limited recruiting experience.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:00 am This is almost as bad as a certain powerhouse in the West having to settle for a no name lifelong assistant coach...
Worse, Pope was high up on Arizona’s list so be careful throwing stones.

Also, not being able to turn the corner at BYU has zero bearing on what kind of record he will have at Kentucky. Not saying he is a slam dunk hire but he isn’t what Gillespie was either. If he can recruit well enough I wouldn’t be surprised if he is successful.

Maybe not UK-fan-expectation successful but …
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Pope is a good coach and better be because all his players have left.