NCAA Tournament

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

NCAA Tournament

Post by Newportcat »

The greatest sporting event ever but by far the most worthless when trying to determine who the best team really is.

I both love it and absolutely hate it

Maybe because I am an Arizona fan and we have underperformed in the tournament since 2001 I hate it. But just feels like the Tournament has completely diluted the regular season. The NCAA makes so much money of the tourney now I don't think they care at all about how poorly college basketball is doing in the regular season.

Feels like College Basketball to 99% of fans has become a 3-4 week a year sport

Now those weeks are very exciting since there are so many games going on.

Thoughts/Comments?
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
zonagrad

Re: NCAA Tournament

Post by zonagrad »

So true. Look at the carnage. Virginia, UNC, Michigan St., Xavier, Cincy all toast. All with super and even historic seasons.

And look at the Tema advancing: K-State, FSU, Syracuse, etc... all of which could easily been in a worthless NIT game las week. You can't tell me those teams are the top 16 in the country.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote:The greatest sporting event ever but by far the most worthless when trying to determine who the best team really is.
What other sporting event is do or die based on a single game?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
Newportcat wrote:The greatest sporting event ever but by far the most worthless when trying to determine who the best team really is.
NFL.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Wont ever happen but would love to see a baseball style tournament. Probably too many games but at least you can have one slip up and still win the remaining games before regionals. A best of 3 national title event would be kinda cool. But again, a ton of games.
cpt

Post by cpt »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:
NFL.
Even then you get home field advantage. Which is huge in the playoffs. If higher seeded teams got to play the first game at home, you would see a lot fewer upsets.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cpt wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:
NFL.
Even then you get home field advantage. Which is huge in the playoffs. If higher seeded teams got to play the first game at home, you would see a lot fewer upsets.
Like the women's tourney and baseball/softball.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Since the team had no fight and heart and toughness last Thursday I am not sure it would matter but I would love to know how the game shakes out if the NCAA does not absolutely screw UA and put them in San Diego and not Boise
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I am glad I am not the only one who feels the way I do about the tournament!

To me, the tournament is completely unfair in many ways for top teams. The best solution above is to have the first two rounds at the Top 16 seeds home court just like Women's tourney and baseball/softball. Then the regular season would mean more if you got home court advantage early on.

Baseball and Softball regular season is huge for this very reason.

Upsets though are what the masses like. So probably never happening but would be so much more fair.

Currently, the regular season is pretty worthless outside of ensuring you get into the tourney. Look at some of the teams still left

Loyola of Chicago
Kansas State
Florida State
Texas A&M
Nevada
Clemson
Syracuse

Problem is I bet none of those teams do anything in the next round. So upsets first weekend are fun but will lead to crap games in the next weekend.

Again, I say all this as a somewhat bitter (Ok really bitter) Arizona fan. If I was a fan of Nevada, I would probably feel differently

But actually giving top 4 seeds, home court advantage would be huge.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:
None that I can think of where there is no home court advantage
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
None that I can think of where there is no home court advantage
College football playoff, although that is only two games.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

cpt wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:
NFL.
You weren't an Arizona hoops fan in 1987, were you? :|