Pastner

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: Pastner

Post by Harvey Specter »

Irish27 wrote:I don't think it's going to end well for Josh. I think the perfect school for him is the University of Houston. Expectations there won't be as high and Josh will be able to bring in the recruits. He needs to get a good x and o guy on his bench.
Recruiting is going to be a lot more difficult for a coach who is damaged goods than it is for an up-and-comer who is yet-to-be-determined. He's got a good enough record that he could get a job SOMEWHERE if he gets fired at Memphis... But he would be wise to take a step back to take some stock, re-evaluate - and then acknowledge his shortcomings and actually address them. Whether that is as head coach at a smaller school or as top assistant at a bigger one (for the right coach) I do not know. Phony positivity and shallow bravado leads to a dead end, which he is learning the hard way.

If he ever wants to be a good coach, he needs to establish his own authentic style as opposed to forging ahead with his "synthetic amalgamation of every coach he has been around who is successful" approach. He tries to be everything to everybody which has him on a path to be no one to nobody.

The dude needs to grow up, gain some perspective, and make his focus more about his team and players, and less about him.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Bosy Billups wrote:I remember Gershon warning him at that time, don't take the job. It just isn't a good fit, and he wasn't ready at the time to succeed Calipari at a place like Memphis. Looks like now that prediction is coming true. Think if he was still an assistant for a good coach somewhere, and next year say, takes a Head Coaching position.

Truth by told, wouldn't be surprised if Calipari recruited (e.g., bullied) him to take the job because Calipari knew that Memphis wouldn't be able to land anyone else. IF Calipari didn't do that, he'd be even more hated in the Memphis community (not fans, but friends, admin, boosters, etc.)

Purse speculation, but that's how it went down.
Yeah, it's all Cal's fault. :roll:

A guy like Calipari does not give 2 sh*ts about how he is viewed by those he leaves behind after he is gone; and that is not a negative reflection on him at all. His focus is 100% in front of him, which is why he is incredibly successful; he doesn't look back or apologize.

I think Josh's ambition makes him blind to a lot of things; I suspect Cal saw that job RE: Pastner for what it was - a terrific opportunity for a young coach looking to break through. And Cal's direction did not matter - no way Pastner would turn down that opportunity regardless of what advice he received. In fairness to him, very few in his situation would have... He is the Lane Kiffin of college BB as far as getting in over his head; the only reason there are not more like them is because very few are presented with that type of opportunity.

It's funny enough to think that a handful of posters wanted him hired over Miller when this job was filled. Funnier yet that some of those posters still opined that Pastner should have gotten the job as recently as a year or two ago. And those posters are the same ones who have implied that Miller is a disappointment at every speed bump - even as recently as a few weeks ago.

Thank God they were not on the search committee. Imagine for a minute where we would be if had gotten the job instead of Miller.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Memphis lost to a 10-13 East Carolina team tonight. The Memphis boosters can't be happy. The fans aren't.
http://csnbbs.com/thread-726391.html
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The fans have not been happy for a while. I think that they are stuck with the man child.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Was snubbed by the NIT.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol:
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I still don't get all the dislike for Pastner.....I've heard that he may have been arrogant....did he also kick Lute in the nuts or what?

Seriously, the guy bled red and blue for us so I don't get the dislike. I wish him nothing but success as that only makes us look that much better.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

:lol: :lol:
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:I still don't get all the dislike for Pastner.....I've heard that he may have been arrogant....did he also kick Lute in the nuts or what?

Seriously, the guy bled red and blue for us so I don't get the dislike. I wish him nothing but success as that only makes us look that much better.

We are just jealous of Memphis' better fans is all.
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

The next ASU coach???
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

That would do a lot to lessen the gap between those who like & dislike, huh? lol
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not sure if he could coach them to success but Asu would immediately start landing top 20 recruiting classes.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Would Panther actually talk to ASSU?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pastner makes a top 10 salary and is 18-14.

Pastner already makes more base salary than Miller now at Memphis. How can the ABOR justify paying him even more now?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Because they prefer asu

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Has there been any discussion about Pastner to ASU from other than this board?

I could see that happening; problem could be money - as no way is ASU going to be able to pay him what UM does. But Josh might see the writing on the wall and realize a year from now he could likely be facing a much bigger and more permanent pay cut.

I think his wife is from AZ... not sure if he would give up on his dreams of coaching at UA - which might currently be on life support, anyway.

I could absolutely see ASU going after him... it would be a classic Sun Devil hire.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Harvey Specter wrote:Has there been any discussion about Pastner to ASU from other than this board?

I could see that happening; problem could be money - as no way is ASU going to be able to pay him what UM does. But Josh might see the writing on the wall and realize a year from now he could likely be facing a much bigger and more permanent pay cut.

I think his wife is from AZ... not sure if he would give up on his dreams of coaching at UA - which might currently be on life support, anyway.

I could absolutely see ASU going after him... it would be a classic Sun Devil hire.
Twitter and ESPN are talking about Pastner quite a bit. And there's a few people dropping Archie's name too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Archie will never go to a conference where his brother coaches. Didn't he already turn down WSU or some other PAC job?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

No way on Archie

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Career suicide for Archie to go to ASU. That program is WAY beneath him anyway. He is going to be a nice hire for a high-quality or better major conference school in the near future.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:No way on Archie
He will have MUCH better opportunities...
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Why the HELL would either Josh or Archie consider ASU? Just can't see it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

waysouthcat wrote:Why the HELL would either Josh or Archie consider ASU? Just can't see it.
There was a time when the Arizona job was considered a death sentence.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
waysouthcat wrote:Why the HELL would either Josh or Archie consider ASU? Just can't see it.
Canning Sendek at this point doesn't make it any more desirable. He was actually fairly successful compared to their history, they have zero fan support, will always be a minor game in town and doesn't come with a fertile recruiting ground at home.

That's a job if nothing better opens up and you need it. Archie would be in a better position to succeed staying at Dayton. A good midmajor is better than a crappy power 5 team.

Edit: if Barnes gets canned, I think Archie would kill it at Texas.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Regardless, this is Pastner we're talking about. No matter how desperate he is to get out of Memphis, taking the ASU job would be like stabbing his mentor Lute in the back.

Same thing with Archie, only replace "mentor Lute" with "brother."

Some ASU booster is floating these names to give the job more pedigree than it really has. Neither of these guys are going to consider the job because, unlike so many Devil fans, they're not complete f*cking @$$holes.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Canning Sendek at this point doesn't make it any more desirable. He was actually fairly successful compared to their history, they have zero fan support, will always be a minor game in town and doesn't come with a fertile recruiting ground at home.

That's a job if nothing better opens up and you need it. Archie would be in a better position to succeed staying at Dayton. A good midmajor is better than a crappy power 5 team.

You just described Arizona basketball before Lute got there.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azgreg wrote:

I thought Ga Tech would have been an interesting opportunity for Archie... but they did not make a move.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azgreg wrote: There was a time when the Arizona job was considered a death sentence.

I thought Ga Tech would have been an interesting opportunity for Archie... but they did not make a move.
GT is a really intriguing job. Talk about a school in a fertile recruiting area, ATL produces a ton of talent, and if you keep it home-almost automatic success.

Greg, 2 important differences. First, Tucson has no pro sports except for U of A basketball. It is the show. That is not true for ASU. Second, the landscape is just so different compared to 30 years ago. Back then, recruiting wasn't nationally standardized. Nowadays, you can't improve a program nearly as much via under the radar guys because the radar touches everyone.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I get what your saying Spiff. What I was trying to convey was that if you get the right people in the right position you can change the culture. ASSu isn't exempt from that.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azgreg wrote:
When was that?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

1983?

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:1983?
About. :lol:

We would be sitting in a dorm room about 5 or 6 o'clock on a Saturday wondering what to do and someone would say 'Hey, why don't we go to the game?" We'd all laugh, but sometimes we would just get up and go. Get there about game time and get good seats pretty close.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Any high major job right now is a job that Pastner wants. His head coaching career is the equivalent of being down two possessions in the final minute and having to foul to extend the game.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

pc in NM wrote:
azgreg wrote:
When was that?
2008?

"death sentence" might be a little harsh, but those were some tough years between Lute and CSM... post-KO, turned down by dunlap, ucla on the rise, tourney streak at risk, ncaa sanctions/scholly limitations, bare cupboard with recruits... yeesh.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I was in diapers in 83, so I cant speak on that. But 08 was not even close to a death sentence. It was a challenge, maybe, but getting a Miller, and i think the consensus is Calipari was coming had kentucky not opened up. So maybe a challenge with an extremely high upside and ceiling.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dirtbags wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
azgreg wrote:
When was that?
2008?

"death sentence" might be a little harsh, but those were some tough years between Lute and CSM... post-KO, turned down by dunlap, ucla on the rise, tourney streak at risk, ncaa sanctions/scholly limitations, bare cupboard with recruits... yeesh.
I was referring to the pre Lute era.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azgreg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:1983?
About. :lol:

We would be sitting in a dorm room about 5 or 6 o'clock on a Saturday wondering what to do and someone would say 'Hey, why don't we go to the game?" We'd all laugh, but sometimes we would just get up and go. Get there about game time and get good seats pretty close.
I was doing the same things with my friends. Go down and buy a cheap ticket and walk down to the lower level and sit behind the bench...plenty of open seats.

Some of you guys have no idea how bad it really was. We could barely compete from a talent standpoint.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

that's pretty amazing.

revenge of the nerds era, too!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Back when we were Atoms college
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nothing like cheering for a team that wins 4 to 5 games a year.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

rgdeuce wrote:Back when we were Atoms college
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Adams college atoms*

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azgreg wrote:I get what your saying Spiff. What I was trying to convey was that if you get the right people in the right position you can change the culture. ASSu isn't exempt from that.
Other significant difference beyond the ones already listed...When Lute took Arizona, no top 5 national programs existed in the Wildcats' backyard, guaranteeing an uphill battle to even wrest away local players with which to build. ASU went 13-14 and 19-14 in the 2 years prior to Lute's hiring, and had fired their "legendary" coach, Ned Wulk.

All of the other listed factors matter...quite a bit: college town, difference in how recruiting is executed, etc. But the biggest would be Lute was moving to a school he saw had potential, had been fairly successful recently (Snowen), and most importantly had no other competition in the state. Resurrecting ASU is an exponentially harder job today for all the reasons ASU already suffers, and because the new coach would have to compete with a massive program 100 miles southeast. Any local recruit worth building a program around is unavailable if Arizona wants them.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I didn't say it would be easy. However, it's not impossible.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'd love it if Pastner was in tempe for 5 years.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

dirtbags wrote:

Hey...what about mine. :cry:

Lol
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NERDS!!!!!!!!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Adams college atoms*
You're right. Blame TBS for not airing it for several years.