NCAA going down? (slight hyperbole. . .)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ghostwhitehorse

NCAA going down? (slight hyperbole. . .)

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Fake Athlete/ Celeberty Brat scandle. . .

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/Co ... 30761.html" target="_blank
The documents, which were unsealed Tuesday morning, allege that the accused aimed to facilitate students getting into high-profile D-1 schools, including Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, Yale, University of Texas, University of San Diego, University of Southern California and Wake Forest as recruited athletes regardless of their athletic ability.
h/t to JMG
Merkin

Re: NCAA going down? (slight hyperbole. . .)

Post by Merkin »

$500K to get your kid on the USC crew team?

I work at a public university and used to work on the Admissions systems. There were exceptions to the normal admissions process, by being a FotP (Friend of the President).

Just keep tossing money as a donor, and eventually you will have enough to be on the FotP list and your child will get admitted as a student, not as an athlete.

Many schools allow the AD to do their own admissions, which does make it hard for the student athlete who has to compete in class with elite students. Therefore, many schools now require athletes to go through the normal admissions process.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

They basically got them in as PWO, so standards were lowered. Once admitted they didn't bother doing anything with the sport. This ought to keep the NCAA busy for awhile
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It’s funny to me with all their resources and all the SAT/ACT prep classes and private tutors, these rich assholes still couldn’t get their shitty kids into good schools.

Or at least it would be funny if they weren’t taking the place of someone who ACTUALLY DESERVED TO BE THERE.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’m not sure how that’s so different than any elite school money sport scholarship athlete. Do we really think Jaylen Hands gets into UCLA without a 40” vertical? Sure, he helps make money for UCLA and thereby pays his way. These kids just had mommy and daddy prepay for them.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Arizona State University gets dissed in college bribery scandal court documents
Giannulli wrote to a cooperating witness in 2016, copying Loughlin on the email:

"We just met with (our older daughter's) college counselor this am. I'd like to maybe sit with you after your session with the girls as I have some concerns and want to fully understand the game plan and make sure we have a roadmap for success as it relates to (our daughter) and getting her into a school other than ASU!"
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 141574002/" target="_blank
The school has a 84% acceptance rate. Last year, 20,302 out of 24,127 applicants were admitted making Arizona State University an easy school to get into with a very good chance of acceptance assuming you meet the requirements.
https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/ ... admission/" target="_blank
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ned Flanders aside, UA is just as easy to get into at ASU.

https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/b ... onference/" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:Ned Flanders aside, UA is just as easy to get into at ASU.

https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/b ... onference/" target="_blank
Not quite. 83% vs 76% and Arizona has less students. Not great obviously but Arizona is slightly more selective and still considered a better school generally than ASU.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

So they busted Felicity Huffman but not William H. Macy because.....wait for it.....he fled the interview.

Singer, on the other hand, charged with fraud, money laundering, tax evasion and such, should just hold out for a Presidential pardon.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Don't know where else to put this, but,
Kyle guy took down his wedding registry because someone from the NCAA told him it was illegal.

Apparentlyy now Mark emmert has said it is not. So I guess maybe now we will see a new scandal where kids get fake married and " invite " boosters from many schools to the wedding or shoe company execs.

I wonder if the Federal Reserve Bank of New York offers a gift registry. Hmm. Maybe fort Knox does.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It’s funny when the NCAA realizes in individual instances that it’s a bad look to punitively keep student athletes in poverty and yet still refuses to do anything about the fact that that is what their entire business model is based on.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ah yes, committing crimes for the rich and famous will get you no prison time.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Felicity Huffman Talks College Admissions Scandal for the First Time: ‘I Had to Break the Law’

"I know hindsight is 20/20 but it felt like I would be a bad mother if I didn't do it. So - I did it," actress admits of role in 2019 ordeal

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/ ... 1234907138

Four years after Felicity Huffman found herself embroiled in a college admissions scandal, the actress talked about the ordeal for the first time in a new interview.

Huffman ultimately spent 11 days in jail and was sentenced to community service for her role in Operation Varsity Blues, in which she paid $15,000 to “college admissions consultant” Rick Singer to falsify her daughter’s SAT test results.

“It felt like I had to give my daughter a chance at a future,” Huffman told Los Angeles’ KABC in an exclusive interview. “And so it was sort of like my daughter’s future, which meant I had to break the law.”
-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

"I felt like I had to buy my daughter a future."
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:26 pm "I felt like I had to buy my daughter a future."
She also had to rob someone else’s daughter or son of their future.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I worked for decades as a state university campus as a programmer working on Admissions and Advancement issues for a school that has extremely selective admissions.

You become a FOP (Friend Of the President) by being a donor, your child will get admitted. You don't need to steal a scholarship.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:28 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:26 pm "I felt like I had to buy my daughter a future."
She also had to rob someone else’s daughter or son of their future.
She should have been Jerry Lundegaard's wife. Hey, almost!

~ Wilhoit's Law