Coaching Searches 2019

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

prh

Re: Coaching Searches 2019

Post by prh »

Btw, Dan Gilbert is an MSU alum and huge fan, so that adds a little extra to this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

prh wrote:Btw, Dan Gilbert is an MSU alum and huge fan, so that adds a little extra to this.
Mike Gansey who is high up in the Cavs front office played for Beilein at West Virginia. Probably had a lot to do with this.

If I’m the search committee for Michigan, I’m calling Mike Brey, Tony Bennett, Gregg Marshall, Wojo, and Chris Collins. Probably in that order.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
prh wrote:Btw, Dan Gilbert is an MSU alum and huge fan, so that adds a little extra to this.
Mike Gansey who is high up in the Cavs front office played for Beilein at West Virginia. Probably had a lot to do with this.

If I’m the search committee for Michigan, I’m calling Mike Brey, Tony Bennett, Gregg Marshall, Wojo, and Chris Collins. Probably in that order.
Brey (maybe), Bennett (no chance), Marshall (maybe), Wojo (he'd come in a heartbeat), and I can't see them hiring Collins.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Along with speculating who Michigan targets for Beilein's replacement, anyone mind guessing why Beilein left in the first place?
To answer my own post - Beilein couldn't top Harbaugh: https://971theticket.radio.com/articles ... m-harbaugh" target="_blank

"97.1 The Ticket host Mike Valenti tried to explain why Beilein would suddenly leave the team he built into a powerhouse.

And he cast his eyes directly at University of Michigan head football coach Jim Harbaugh -- lover of khakis, grand gestures, inspirational sayings and the white-hot glare of the spotlight.

"I think he was very frustrated the last couple of years," Valenti said about Beilein. "I mean, coaching at Michigan as the basketball coach is a huge challenge especially with Harbaugh there because he takes all the air."
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’d stay forever at Michigan with Harbaugh sucking up all the air in the room. If you have a down year, who is going to give a shit if football didn’t get to the Playoff again and Harbaugh’s hosting sleepovers and being his wacky self?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:I’d stay forever at Michigan with Harbaugh sucking up all the air in the room. If you have a down year, who is going to give a shit if football didn’t get to the Playoff again and Harbaugh’s hosting sleepovers and being his wacky self?
Exactly. And say what you will about UM's hoops support, but having been to several home games in Ann Arbor, I can tell you that they give robust support for that team. It will *never* be the same as football. I imagine OSU has the same issue. But generally speaking, Big 10 fans are awesome. The Michigan men's hoops job is a *fantastic* job. Excellent university, great college town, and tons of support from alums, admins, and current students. Not only that, but they've shown recently that they can get to the FF.

I would be very surprised, though, if the next guy does as well as Beilein. He's a once in a generation coach.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Beachcat97 wrote:
I would be very surprised, though, if the next guy does as well as Beilein. He's a once in a generation coach.
My thoughts too - Michigan is more likely to return to the 22 wins/seasons, Tommy Amaker bubble.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hurley does not strike me as a “Michigan Man”.

In other news, halfway successful person still trying desperately to get as far the fuck away from ASSU as possible.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I would be PISSED as a Michigan fan if they hire Hurley. What exactly has Hurley done to warrant consideration for a better D1 job? Juwan Howard is a better (still not great) hire, and Donovan isn't happening.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:I would be PISSED as a Michigan fan if they hire Hurley. What exactly has Hurley done to warrant consideration for a better D1 job? Juwan Howard is a better (still not great) hire, and Donovan isn't happening.
I'm not buying Juwan Howard as a head coach of a college program. Just doesn't check the boxes for me.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I would be PISSED as a Michigan fan if they hire Hurley. What exactly has Hurley done to warrant consideration for a better D1 job? Juwan Howard is a better (still not great) hire, and Donovan isn't happening.
I'm not buying Juwan Howard as a head coach of a college program. Just doesn't check the boxes for me.
He’s one of the better respected assistants in the NBA. Surround him with recruiters with Midwest connections and Michigan would be more than fine.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Is Billy Donovan even considering going back to coach college?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

zonagrad wrote:
100% agree.

In this bigger picture of College basketball coaching searches going through a fad of experimenting with hiring flashy NBA names regardless of what they’ve proved, if anything, from the sideline - Ewing at GTown, Hardaway at Memphis, Stackhouse at Vandy, and now with Howard at Michigan, the surprise is that it’s Michigan succumbing to this fad. Michigan comes across too grounded and traditionally minded to get caught up in fads like this.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Idaho fires coach "after he was placed on administrative leave following a consultant's report that found potential NCAA violations."

"Verlin was 177-176 in 11 seasons at Idaho" - wow they kept him aboard for 11 years of mediocrity? That's worse than Ole Tad Boy.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... violations" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Fired on his day off.
That sucks, even won his last game.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who will COLANGELO get? Probably not a bad lower level job
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Grand Canyon University fires Dan Majerle as men's basketball coach

https://www.abc15.com/sports/grand-cany ... TRTcmY2VOE" target="_blank

They should have kept Russ Pennell. His last 2 seasons were better than Majerle's.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Dickie V just pissed his pants he's so excited.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

He's now the new Iona coach.

Have fun with that drama.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mmmmmmm.......
-JB
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yowza. Donovan won't remain unemployed long.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

8y/$40M lets go
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure if there are any openings anywhere for Donovan in college, especially when they have to fire their current coach, buy him out, and then come up with the dough for Donovan. UA certainly can't even afford to get rid of Sumlin, even with a possible 0-10 season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Donovan isn't leaving the NBA. The Sixers, Bulls, Pacers, and Pelicans will be knocking down his door with a truck full of cash.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Donovan isn't leaving the NBA. The Sixers, Bulls, Pacers, and Pelicans will be knocking down his door with a truck full of cash.
I'm not sure why any NBA coach would head back to college and have to deal with extreme grind of recruiting, along with all the incessant NCAA rules you have to deal with. Like Lute said, the one thing he didn't miss about coaching was recruiting.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:Donovan isn't leaving the NBA. The Sixers, Bulls, Pacers, and Pelicans will be knocking down his door with a truck full of cash.
I'm not sure why any NBA coach would head back to college and have to deal with extreme grind of recruiting, along with all the incessant NCAA rules you have to deal with. Like Lute said, the one thing he didn't miss about coaching was recruiting.
I'm also not sure why college coaches are so eager to get to the NBA. It's a system where you're hired to be fired. Sometimes no matter how successful you are.
prh

Post by prh »

Don't forget Houston being about to let Dantoni go as well
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I'm also not sure why college coaches are so eager to get to the NBA. It's a system where you're hired to be fired. Sometimes no matter how successful you are.
$15-$20m with usually 25% of that while you are sitting in a tv booth for a couple hours a day.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yeah. Donovan would have to fail pretty spectacularly at his next pro job to come back to college. Same with Stevens.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Donovan to the Bulls.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Donovan to the Bulls.
That Bulls roster leaves a lot to be desired. Lavine and Lauri are a nice start, but they're missing pieces.

It's impressive what Donovan did in his first pro job, but unless Chicago lands Giannis or some other superstar in the next couple years, it's hard to see them surpassing Boston, Milwaukee, Toronto and now Miami.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Donovan to the Bulls.
That Bulls roster leaves a lot to be desired. Lavine and Lauri are a nice start, but they're missing pieces.

It's impressive what Donovan did in his first pro job, but unless Chicago lands Giannis or some other superstar in the next couple years, it's hard to see them surpassing Boston, Milwaukee, Toronto and now Miami.
I doubt they brought in Donovan just to leave the pantry bare.

Kris Dunn is in the last year of his rookie contract and has already been surpassed by Coby White. Denzel Valentine is in the last year of his deal and I doubt they re-sign him. Otto Porter Jr. has one year left on his (really stupid) deal, but he's pretty good and could be a trade piece for a similarly overpaid small forward.

They've got some room to maneuver and the #4 pick in the upcoming draft. Personally, I think they should trade the pick and Porter for a proven SF like Gordon Haywood.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Evidently the result of an abuse probe. Wow.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yeah. Marshall’s got a pretty well documented track record. Guy is an a$$hole.