Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrBug708

Re: Coaching Searches 2019

Post by MrBug708 »

If it is Dixon, hopefully Ryan Miller comes with him
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Buzz Williams to A&M, as expected. Another school making a better hire than UCLA.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Jon Wilner Verified account @wilnerhotline 1 hour ago

Hotline prediction: Jamie Dixon will be named UCLA's head coach by Friday
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Good news for Andy Enfield. USC is going to own them the next couple seasons.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Good news for Andy Enfield. USC is going to own them the next couple seasons.
Jamie Dixon could be asleep during games and outcoach Andy Enfield.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Good news for Andy Enfield. USC is going to own them the next couple seasons.
Is Dixon an upgrade from Alford? Because Enfield did alright against Alford.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Is Dixon an upgrade from Alford? Because Enfield did alright against Alford.
Ummmm yeah and it's not even close.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alford got to the S16 in 3 of his first 4 seasons at UCLA. That’s not close to Howland, but in hindsight, it’s not terrible.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Those big East teams Dixon coached were pretty damn good.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
He's trolling nonsense. Bets ignore him
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Alford got to the S16 in 3 of his first 4 seasons at UCLA. That’s not close to Howland, but in hindsight, it’s not terrible.
Dixon got to 2 S16s and an Elite 8 at Pittsburgh and wasn't being handfed UnderArmour guys left and right. Tell me which is more impressive.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
He's trolling nonsense. Bets ignore him
Should've read your post first.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Yeah but is his wife hot?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Alford got to the S16 in 3 of his first 4 seasons at UCLA. That’s not close to Howland, but in hindsight, it’s not terrible.
Dixon got to 2 S16s and an Elite 8 at Pittsburgh and wasn't being handfed UnderArmour guys left and right. Tell me which is more impressive.
Fair enough. It's gotta be better than Alford.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just gonna leave this here, on where Dixon ranks among Pac coaches (from a UCLA site):
a. Dana Altman -- below.
b. Mike Hopkins -- below.
c. Sean Miller -- below (and almost assuredly below his successor).
d. Larry K -- below.
e. Bobby Hurley -- below.
f. Enfield -- Same, better?
g. Tad Boyle -- slightly below?
h. Mark Fox -- ???
i. Kyle Smith -- superior?
j. Wayne Tinkle -- ????
k. Jerod Haase -- superior.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Riverside is working the troll level posts hard today. He's even finding random posts where they call Miller a worse coach than Mike Hopkins and presenting it as gospel. :lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Yeah but is his wife hot?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Think I'd forgotten that Dixon was born in SoCal.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

MrBug708 wrote:Riverside is working the troll level posts hard today. He's even finding random posts where they call Miller a worse coach than Mike Hopkins and presenting it as gospel. :lol:
Jamie Dixon was on the short list to succeed Howland, which apparently BC97 forgot in order to advance the logical fallacy that Dixon is somehow not on a much higher level than Alford or Enfield.

I've been waiting for Arizona to play Dixon regularly for a long time. This is welcome news.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Riverside is working the troll level posts hard today. He's even finding random posts where they call Miller a worse coach than Mike Hopkins and presenting it as gospel. :lol:
Jamie Dixon was on the short list to succeed Howland, which apparently BC97 forgot in order to advance the logical fallacy that Dixon is somehow not on a much higher level than Alford or Enfield.

I've been waiting for Arizona to play Dixon regularly for a long time. This is welcome news.
Fair enough, cg.

For the Pac's sake, I hope you're right.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not official yet, right?

Keeping my fingers crossed Dixon falls through so UCLA fans get REALLY screwed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Chicat wrote:Not official yet, right?

Praying
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I think it’s funny that the same board {edit: this board} which has decided that a few lean years (only as defined by March Madness) indicates that Miller isn’t the coach he once was (it’s not 2015 anymore, people!) . . . are turning a coach whose career trajectory was aimed at the stars (thanks to a full table set by Ben Howland) but has become the definition of meh into something to be feared. I’m not saying he won’t do good things at UCLA. Any warmed over corpse should be able to do so . . . but he has a hell of a lot more to prove than Miller.
Last edited by ByJoveByJingle on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

NYCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Not official yet, right?

Praying
It will be about 5 million
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I think it’s funny that the same board which has decided that a few lean years (only as defined by March Madness) indicates that Miller isn’t the coach he once was (it’s not 2015 anymore, people!) . . . are turning a coach whose career trajectory was aimed at that stars (thanks to a full table set by Ben Howland) but has become the definition of meh into something to be feared. I’m not saying he won’t do good things at UCLA. Any warmed over corpse should be able to do so . . . but he has a hell of a lot more to prove than Miller.
Your posts have been a fun read, thanks!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I think it’s funny that the same board which has decided that a few lean years (only as defined by March Madness) indicates that Miller isn’t the coach he once was (it’s not 2015 anymore, people!) . . . are turning a coach whose career trajectory was aimed at that stars (thanks to a full table set by Ben Howland) but has become the definition of meh into something to be feared. I’m not saying he won’t do good things at UCLA. Any warmed over corpse should be able to do so . . . but he has a hell of a lot more to prove than Miller.
Who the hell said anything about "fearing" Dixon?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
His posts are kind of hard to follow but he is saying that UCLA fans think Dixon should be feared.
Last edited by MrBug708 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I guess I need a remedial reading comprehension course. That’s the TLDR gist of what I’m getting out of the comments here.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

MrBug708 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
His posts are kind of hard to follow but he is saying that UCLA fans think he Dixon should be feared.
Sorry, apparently I need a remedial writing course as well. I was referring to this board. I don’t think UCLA fans ever thought Miller was a good coach. That implicitly eliminated them from what I said—I should have been more explicit.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bug can't read. Too funny.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
His posts are kind of hard to follow but he is saying that UCLA fans think Dixon should be feared.
Lol he's much more menacing than Alford I'll give you that.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Beachcat97 wrote:Bug can't read. Too funny.
I was a bit convoluted in what I wrote. It’s a personal failing I have to actively work against.
Last edited by ByJoveByJingle on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I guess I need a remedial reading comprehension course. That’s the TLDR gist of what I’m getting out of the comments here.
I think most of us respect Dixon as he's a capable coach. He's obviously not a world beater, but I sure as hell respect his ability to get the most out of his guys than I ever have or would with Steve Alford.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I think most of us respect Dixon as he's a capable coach. He's obviously not a world beater, but I sure as hell respect his ability to get the most out of his guys than I ever have or would with Steve Alford.
I completely agree. And maybe with the inherent recruiting advantages UCLA has, that will prove to be all he needs to turn the program into what it should be. But then any number of coaches should be able to do that there. Just goes to show you how awful their administration has been for a dozen years or more.
Last edited by ByJoveByJingle on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Dixon's success will come down to being able to recruit well in California and the west coast. Alford ignore it early on and wanted to recruit nationally.

UCLA had coaches turn down inquiries because they didn't know who they would report to or makes the final calls on things related to the job. DG is a useless figurehead and no real plan of succession afterwards.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Would be a solid hire, not exactly one I would "fear"

Remember a few years back (which I'm sure those here do too) Dixon was a hot commodity in the coaching world. Seems like that has died down.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Dixon is very Kelvin Sampson-ish.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I think it’s funny that the same board {edit: this board} which has decided that a few lean years (only as defined by March Madness) indicates that Miller isn’t the coach he once was (it’s not 2015 anymore, people!) . . . are turning a coach whose career trajectory was aimed at the stars (thanks to a full table set by Ben Howland) but has become the definition of meh into something to be feared. I’m not saying he won’t do good things at UCLA. Any warmed over corpse should be able to do so . . . but he has a hell of a lot more to prove than Miller.
I want UCLA to get a coach who is Alford Part Deux.

Dixon ain’t that.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Chicat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I think it’s funny that the same board {edit: this board} which has decided that a few lean years (only as defined by March Madness) indicates that Miller isn’t the coach he once was (it’s not 2015 anymore, people!) . . . are turning a coach whose career trajectory was aimed at the stars (thanks to a full table set by Ben Howland) but has become the definition of meh into something to be feared. I’m not saying he won’t do good things at UCLA. Any warmed over corpse should be able to do so . . . but he has a hell of a lot more to prove than Miller.

Dixon ain’t that.
Haha, I think it’s just too much to hope for. Nobody can be that catastrophically stupid on a repeated basis. Unless they are secretly working against the success of the Bruin program . . . and it’s actually malice and not stupidity.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If someone had told us in 2013 that the best coaches UCLA could hire over the next ten years were Steve Alford and Jamie Dixon, I think most would be surprised.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Dixon ain’t that.
Haha, I think it’s just too much to hope for. Nobody can be that catastrophically stupid on a repeated basis. Unless they are secretly working against the success of the Bruin program . . . and it’s actually malice and not stupidity.
Right now, on the “Good-to-Alford” scale, you’ve got Dixon on one end, Cronin in the middle, and Earl Watson at full-fledged Alford Level.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He isn't a home run hire, but he's a solid coach and a decent human being. That's good for the conference, and not in a way that's at Arizona's expense. Dixon could be Miller's Monty. Man, that didn't sound right.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:. Dixon could be Miller's Monty. Man, that didn't sound right.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Well, he does have a Final Four appearance in the NIT. Let's see Sean Miller do that!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:If someone had told us in 2013 that the best coaches UCLA could hire over the next ten years were Steve Alford and Jamie Dixon, I think most would be surprised.
In 2013, Alford had New Mexico on top in the Mt. West. The Lobos got a 3 seed twice under Alford after winning their conference. They lost to Harvard in the first round and 11-seeded Washington in the second round in 2010. I think the general feeling was that UCLA was getting a pretty good coach who would certainly have more talent than he had in Albuquerque.

As for Dixon, his tenure at Pitt was a slow drain. Before he jumped to TCU from a disenchanted Pitt fanbase, his stock was high. If he had gone to UCLA back in 2013, it would have been viewed as a very good hire. Now it looks like there's not as much tread on that tire after middling efforts at Pitt and TCU.

Looking back, Alford and Dixon have each regressed. The fact that UCLA is hiring Dixon now shows the lack of respect coaches have for that job. And that's not a great reflection on the Pac 12.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I wouldn't call the TCU time a middliing effort, he took over a program that hadn't been to the tournament since 1998 and the first year won the NIT and was back in the tournament in year two. The turnaround was quick. He did miss the tournament this year but a team short on depth did lose 4 rotation players to injuries.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

14 followers and his header is Trump hanging out with Jesus.

Possibly not the most reliable source...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
14 followers and his header is Trump hanging out with Jesus.

Possibly not the most reliable source...
Good catch, Chi. UCLA friend sent that to me, and I should've checked the source.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Buzz Williams to A&M