Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

HiCat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:Why do we need 97 to chime in again? He already said he thinks it's more than likely JJ chooses us. There would be nothing that has changed in the few weeks since he said that
If anything, our chances have gotten better recently.

And others on Miller's radar. Some general updates a la "right where we need to be" with whomever.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

HiCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:Why do we need 97 to chime in again? He already said he thinks it's more than likely JJ chooses us. There would be nothing that has changed in the few weeks since he said that
If anything, our chances have gotten better recently.

And others on Miller's radar. Some general updates a la "right where we need to be" with whomever.
Pretty sure Chi was agreeing with me. Besides JJ, anything else that comes is pure gravy. Sit back, relax, and enjoy.
Last edited by dcZONAfan on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

"If anything, our chances have gotten better recently. "

Ditto. Better and better.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Much more worried about losing Jackson to overseas than I am him committing to another university not named Arizona.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Much more worried about losing Jackson to overseas than I am him committing to another university not named Arizona.
Doubt he's going overseas as long as he can qualify academically. A year of high-level college hoops has proven to be an excellent developmental and promotional instrument for many, many future lotto picks. AG and SJ come to mind.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

ChooChooCat wrote:Much more worried about losing Jackson to overseas than I am him committing to another university not named Arizona.
I don't understand this sentiment. There is literally NOTHING pointing to Jackson having any interest in going overseas.

Besides some random comment (probably from Zagoria) like a year ago. He is playing college ball. And until 97 says anything different, he's gonna be playing that college ball here
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
I don't understand this sentiment. There is literally NOTHING pointing to Jackson having any interest in going overseas.

Besides some random comment (probably from Zagoria) like a year ago. He is playing college ball. And until 97 says anything different, he's gonna be playing that college ball here
Overseas has always been a serious option for him. No reason to think he is going that route at this time, but it remains as major an option for him as Arizona or Michigan State are. Jerry Meyer recently commented that the overseas talk has come back as of late on twitter not too long ago.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Jones says her son will take all five of his official visits, and he’s not expected to make a college decision until the spring. While Jones has been critical of the NCAA and the way it treats prospective student-athletes, she quickly shot down any chance of Jackson skipping college altogether for a season overseas before he heads off to the NBA.

“I’ve read that crap,” she says of the overseas rumors. “Josh wants to go to college, so Josh will be on a college campus. He’s definitely going to do that.

“If he entertained (going overseas), I would definitely entertain it. Because that’s how much I think the NCAA is messed up. … But my kid is going to college.”

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/ ... rylink=cpy" target="_blank
This is the last we have about the overseas route for Jackson. I haven't seen anything more recent, have you?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

June 16, 2015
The schools recruiting him should keep calling.

“I’ve heard that as well,” Jackson told Sporting News. “That’s not true. I’m definitely going to college.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... mpionships" target="_blank

Haven't read anything different since this.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Mom said:

“I’ve read that crap,” she says of the overseas rumors. “Josh wants to go to college, so Josh will be on a college campus. He’s definitely going to do that.

The date of the article

Dec. 16, 2015
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Edited so, click on the link for full article.
Bottom line: recruiting heating up

Cats' quickly gaining recruiting momentum
10 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

UA coach Sean Miller may have sensed the panic, saying at his preseason media gathering that “the hay doesn’t enter the barn until April,” when the spring signing period begins, and that a “lot of things are going to happen for us later.”

They are starting to now. And it’s only January.

Miller racked up his second five-star player for the class of 2016 Saturday when guard Kobi Simmons announced he would play for the Wildcats, joining Finnish big man Lauri Markkanen, who signed a letter-of-intent during the early signing period in November.

Arizona also remains in contention for forward Josh Jackson, arguably the class of 2016’s top players, and several other five- and four-star targets.

After a Big Apple Basketball Invitational game on Saturday, Alkins told SNY.tv that Simmons, who was named a McDonalds All-American on Sunday night, was already trying to recruit him to come along for the ride to Tucson.

“Before he committed, he texted me, he was like, ‘Are you ready?’ “ Alkins told SNY. “So I mean he’s pretty cool. I played a lot with him over the summer, USA Basketball, adidas Nations, all of that stuff.”

While Alkins and Simmons are both guards, Alkins is a bigger, stronger wing in the mold of former UA standout Stanley Johnson, while Simmons is a slender combo guard.

In addition, Alkins told SNY, “I won MVP of those tournaments so it’s not like he’s going to steal my shine.”

A powerful 6-foot-4 wing, Alkins still has a list of nine schools he is considering and hasn’t taken any official visits yet. But he indicated during his SNY interview that he’s intrigued by what the Wildcats might have lined up next season.

If Alkins and Jackson joined Simmons at UA, Alkins could find time on the wings, while Jackson, who was also named as a McDonalds All-American on Sunday, is a hyper-versatile guard-forward who can play anywhere on the floor.

That’s plenty of powerful combinations... if all that hay gets stuffed in the Wildcats’ barn.

“I think (Simmons) is going to probably be the primary ball-handler, though, if I end up going there,” Alkins told SNY. “They’re talking about getting Josh Jackson, too, so if they get (Simmons), Josh Jackson, me and imagine if Allonzo Trier stays another year, so who knows?”

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... dc407.html" target="_blank
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

The more I see Kadeem Allen knock down jumpers and improve his defense, PJC run the offense smoothly and pile up assists, Ristic get comfortable in the post and playing defense, Tollefsen settling in and everyone else really buying in to Miller's style, the more I think this team could be pretty darn dangerous in March.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

carolinacat wrote:The more I see Kadeem Allen knock down jumpers and improve his defense, PJC run the offense smoothly and pile up assists, Ristic get comfortable in the post and playing defense, Tollefsen settling in and everyone else really buying in to Miller's style, the more I think this team could be pretty darn dangerous in March.
Yep, and it also makes me wonder about the logjam in the backcourt next year.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yeah, not sure where Alkins would fit in if we've got Simmons, Trier, Jackson, Smith, and Markkanen. That's not even considering the minutes PJC, Allen, and Ristic will eat up.

Who cares, though? Bring 'em all down!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:Yeah, not sure where Alkins would fit in if we've got Simmons, Trier, Jackson, Smith, and Markkanen. That's not even considering the minutes PJC, Allen, and Ristic will eat up.

Who cares, though? Bring 'em all down!
Right now, it would be:

PG-Allen/Simmons.
SG-Trier/Simon.

Alkins would slot at SG, but it would be an open question as to whether he would be above a sophomore Simon. Simon needs a J and to slow down his game a little. If he made those strides, I would think he would begin above Alkins. Alkins is closer to a finished product, but Simon has a higher ceiling.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Why hasn't anyone bumped the Can Miller Recruit thread?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Alieberman wrote:Why hasn't anyone bumped the Can Miller Recruit thread?
Mr. Lieberman, you're priceless. Just when my brow does a worry-furl after reading one of these long , impossible discussions you come up with something and I suddenly feel yes, the world will in fact be okay. Thank you, sir.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Man I hope Trier comes back. I wanna see him play with our '16 class.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah I don't think it's possible for Arizona to land all 3 of Simmons, Alkins, or Jackson. 2 at max.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Yeah I don't think it's possible for Arizona to land all 3 of Simmons, Alkins, or Jackson. 2 at max.
Well, we have roster space, just not sure about minutes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Yeah I don't think it's possible for Arizona to land all 3 of Simmons, Alkins, or Jackson. 2 at max.
Well, we have roster space, just not sure about minutes.
The 2 are probably the same. I struggle to see how Trier, Simon, JJ, Smith and Alkins could all find minutes. With Simmons, there shouldn't be much available at PG.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

If Kentucky and Cal can do it, why not Miller and Arizona???

Cal has convinced top recruits to buy in to 2nd unit minutes, so why can't Miller???

Is there a law stating it can only be UK and Cal that can do this ?
az91

Post by az91 »

PennZona20 wrote:If Kentucky and Cal can do it, why not Miller and Arizona???

Cal has convinced top recruits to buy in to 2nd unit minutes, so why can't Miller???

I agree! After all the injuries of this year, maybe Miller will want to have a loaded team.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Trier is gonna come back and lead us to a Final Four this year! :)
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:Practicing against the zone in practice is good for the offense too, that way they don't get so confused in a game when they see a zone which has happened quite a bit in the CSM era.

RyanKelapire on Jan 18, 2016, 3:00p

"I don't think we have a choice"

"I thought it worked out well for us," forward Ryan Anderson said after the win versus Washington. "I thought we put it in at the right moments, and it kind of changed the game for us in the second half."

And it's not a gimmick, Miller believes the team will have to rely on it moving forward.

"I don’t think we have a choice," Miller said. "We have to be able to show that. We have to mix it in."

The scheme is different, but Miller still expects his team to play with the same tenacity in zone as they do in man-to-man.

"We have to use it. We don’t have enough depth," Miller said. "At times we want to put a different group on the court, and illustrate the good characteristics of that group out there."

It's not exactly clear when or how often the zone will be used, or if the success the team has had with it will be sustainable, but you have to credit Miller for departing from his usual philosophy in order to try to find a solution to the team's problems.

"I don’t question anything Coach Miller does," Anderson said. "He’s one of the best coaches in the game and this week we worked on it a little bit and he warned us he would put it in the game."

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... ne-defense" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:If Kentucky and Cal can do it, why not Miller and Arizona???

Even Cal has never had to convince a player to be third on the depth chart at his position. 2nd unit is one thing, but if Trier returns, we could be Allen/Simmons/PJC and Trier/Simon/Alkins at the guards if we get all the guys under discussion.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

"Rawle Alkins is playing like a 15-year NBA veteran." - Sean Miller while at his game.

Minutes will be tough to come by for guards in 2016-2017 if we bring in everyone we expect. But who knows, maybe the injury bug strikes again, maybe someone leaves. Miller knows how he is going to make that work, or he would be backing off. Maybe Simon gets more burn at the 3 backing up JJ and Smith is used more at the 4. Maybe Alkins and Simon platoon at the 2. That loaded of a team is going to be murdering people most nights too so.. Plenty of get in, take care of business, get the last 10 minutes off. You look at the Washington school games, we could have gotten in the walk ons with 8 minutes left. I expect a ton of that.

Regardless, after next season, things are going to be clearing up with the loss of JJ and Kadeem, at minimum. Simon, who needs development, has 2 years left. Alkins has 3. Smith will have 3. Trier (if he doesn't bolt)= 2. Simmons (if he doesn't bolt = 3). PJC who has had plenty of minutes in two seasons thus far, will be a senior with another big role if he has to take a hit his jr year. At this point, anyone who commits to Arizona knows exactly what they are getting themselves into. They also see how Kentucky can get huge classes in. I know Space said none of those guys were third on the depth charts and I agree with that, but our players have so much positional flexibility that I think Miller can make it work without having Kentuckys silly A and B team going on. Alkins is already talking about the possibility of playing Trier, JJ, Simmons. He isn't dumb and he knows Kadeem will be a returning senior starter, and PJC will be a junior. If he doesn't come here, its highly likely it is because of that log jam, but if he does, he is fully aware. And there is a shot either Ristic or Lauri bolts, which frees up some minutes at the 4. I know I am not taking into account whoever the 2017 class brings us, but it seems like Miller has a plan and part of that is being ahead of the game so we aren't in the situation we are in this year (which is actually not bad at all, but was saved by multiple transfers). I think Miller is trying to get away from relying on transfers.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

rgdeuce wrote:Maybe Simon gets more burn at the 3 backing up JJ
I'm not sure how much this has been discussed, but isn't this really the ONLY option for Simon?

He doesn't distribute the ball and he can't shoot. He is a three, through and through. Doesn't matter what the recruiting sites labeled him in high school, those were simply wrong.

And he is going to be one HELL of a three his Junior and Senior years if he is here that long. Upside is ridiculous, but it seems pretty clear based on his form that he'll never be able to shoot. It's one of the ugliest shots I've ever seen. I CRINGE when he goes to the free throw line
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Could his shooting form have something to do with whatever hand/wrist injury he sustained?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:"Rawle Alkins is playing like a 15-year NBA veteran." - Sean Miller while at his game.

Minutes will be tough to come by for guards in 2016-2017 if we bring in everyone we expect. But who knows, maybe the injury bug strikes again, maybe someone leaves. Miller knows how he is going to make that work, or he would be backing off. Maybe Simon gets more burn at the 3 backing up JJ and Smith is used more at the 4. Maybe Alkins and Simon platoon at the 2. That loaded of a team is going to be murdering people most nights too so.. Plenty of get in, take care of business, get the last 10 minutes off. You look at the Washington school games, we could have gotten in the walk ons with 8 minutes left. I expect a ton of that.

Regardless, after next season, things are going to be clearing up with the loss of JJ and Kadeem, at minimum. Simon, who needs development, has 2 years left. Alkins has 3. Smith will have 3. Trier (if he doesn't bolt)= 2. Simmons (if he doesn't bolt = 3). PJC who has had plenty of minutes in two seasons thus far, will be a senior with another big role if he has to take a hit his jr year. At this point, anyone who commits to Arizona knows exactly what they are getting themselves into. They also see how Kentucky can get huge classes in. I know Space said none of those guys were third on the depth charts and I agree with that, but our players have so much positional flexibility that I think Miller can make it work without having Kentuckys silly A and B team going on. Alkins is already talking about the possibility of playing Trier, JJ, Simmons. He isn't dumb and he knows Kadeem will be a returning senior starter, and PJC will be a junior. If he doesn't come here, its highly likely it is because of that log jam, but if he does, he is fully aware. And there is a shot either Ristic or Lauri bolts, which frees up some minutes at the 4. I know I am not taking into account whoever the 2017 class brings us, but it seems like Miller has a plan and part of that is being ahead of the game so we aren't in the situation we are in this year (which is actually not bad at all, but was saved by multiple transfers). I think Miller is trying to get away from relying on transfers.
There's a total # element for me. It's really, really hard to fit minutes for more than 10 people, and Alkins/JJ would put us at 11 without Pitts included. If PJC or Simon were not to return, that changes. I just don't know how good a chance Miller has at selling anyone at being that 11th man, but someone will have to do it.

With 200 total minutes and some people over 20 mpg, the time for that 11th man will be minimal to nonexistent.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Could his shooting form have something to do with whatever hand/wrist injury he sustained?
I'd speculate that it at least isn't helping him make strides towards the improvement he needs. How much it hurts, it's hard to tell, but it sure can't help.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

In Dr. haters opinion, he should just amputate the hand and move on.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:In Dr. haters opinion, he should just amputate the hand and move on.
Talk about over the top hyperbole.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:In Dr. haters opinion, he should just amputate the hand and move on.
Talk about over the top hyperbole.
Agree. No need for amputation. He can probably have the joints "frozen" and try to lead a normal lifestyle as possible.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Are cryogenics too far out of the question at this point?

All options should be on the table.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Right where I want to be.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I think Simon is a long way from contributing significantly on the offensive end. Like junior year away.

I think if he has to convince anyone to get some 3rd string minutes at the 1 or 2 next year, it's Simon.

I love his potential and think w the right coaching and development he can be a monster as an upperclassmen (think Solomon hill development over 4 years w less polish , more upside).

Next year, if Alkins and JJ were to come, the player he's gonna have to preach patience to is Justin Simon. Alkins will be the backup 2 to Trier.

Bring them all in and figure it out later. Maybe a kid like PJC or JS or EP would be open to a Redshirt. I know times have changed and we don't get guys like Walton or Anderson that think long term, but look how beneficial the RS was for Kadeem.

If we have some casualties to transfer so be it. It will be the guys not getting run, not the guys playing 10+ min a game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

LM
KS
JJ
RA
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: There's a total # element for me. It's really, really hard to fit minutes for more than 10 people, and Alkins/JJ would put us at 11 without Pitts included. If PJC or Simon were not to return, that changes. I just don't know how good a chance Miller has at selling anyone at being that 11th man, but someone will have to do it.

With 200 total minutes and some people over 20 mpg, the time for that 11th man will be minimal to nonexistent.
I don't think he persuades anyone that they're going to be the 11th man. These kids are all uber confident, and they're all convinced that they'll be starting. When reality, which is determined by how everyone stacks up in the preseason practices, sets in, *then* the kids have to be persuaded to deal with being guy #11. If they can handle it, then they can use Gabe as an inspiration. If not, Craig Victor.

I'd argue that having your #11 kid transfer because he wants more playing time isn't always a bad thing.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I like Simon but watching him at the line is excruciatingly painful right now :-(
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller on Arizona's recent offensive improvement

http://tucson.com/sports/" target="_blank
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Simon does contribute on the offensive end, just not in the traditional way many of us expect. He's great in transition and goes strong to the basket. His shooting skills are a little to be desired (ok, a lot) but his athleticism makes up for an awful lot. He provides a different element to the game that someone like Pitts couldn't hope to bring. For a freshman, he's been a really solid role player for this squad. He plays D, rebounds, and disrupts. On the offensive end, sometimes you have to close one eye and turn your head....but he is still a freshman. I remember when Nic Wise was unwatchable his freshman year. Simon has a lot of potential. The more he plays, the more comfortable he'll get.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

carolinacat wrote:Simon does contribute on the offensive end, just not in the traditional way many of us expect. He's great in transition and goes strong to the basket. His shooting skills are a little to be desired (ok, a lot) but his athleticism makes up for an awful lot. He provides a different element to the game that someone like Pitts couldn't hope to bring. For a freshman, he's been a really solid role player for this squad. He plays D, rebounds, and disrupts. On the offensive end, sometimes you have to close one eye and turn your head....but he is still a freshman. I remember when Nic Wise was unwatchable his freshman year. Simon has a lot of potential. The more he plays, the more comfortable he'll get.
Agreed, and I don't think anyone doubts this for a second. However I will say that when shooting is the missing skill it seems like more of an uphill battle for that player to be consistently productive on offense because it's so easy for a defense to sag off and dare someone to take the jumper. Now the last few years this was more of a problem for, say, AG and RHJ because we didn't have a lot of shooters around them but at least this year and (projected) next year we have some guys who can hit threes and open up the lane for Simon a little more.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dcZONAfan wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Maybe Simon gets more burn at the 3 backing up JJ
I'm not sure how much this has been discussed, but isn't this really the ONLY option for Simon?

He doesn't distribute the ball and he can't shoot. He is a three, through and through. Doesn't matter what the recruiting sites labeled him in high school, those were simply wrong.

And he is going to be one HELL of a three his Junior and Senior years if he is here that long. Upside is ridiculous, but it seems pretty clear based on his form that he'll never be able to shoot. It's one of the ugliest shots I've ever seen. I CRINGE when he goes to the free throw line
No rule that says you cant play shooting guard if you cant shoot. Dwyane Wade cant even shoot over 30 percent from deep most years, Lance Stephenson shot 17 percent from 3 just a year ago. 3's have taken over 2's for being the top perimeter scorers anyhow, just look at the number of great 3's in the league to the dwindling 2's. He's fine at the 2 to play D, run the floor, give length, and penetrate. If you got Lauri out there who can stretch the floor and shoot at the 4, say Trier at the 3, and Kadeem or PJC at 1, there is plenty of shooting and balance offensively. The kid is still raw offensively and awkward, but he has shown he knows when to put the ball on the floor and get to the cup. 54% from the floor for a freshman 2 guard without a shot, I'll take it.

Edit: I should have just used an in-home example: Rondae was starting at the 2 for the Nets before injury and was one of the few bright spots for that team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
carolinacat wrote:Simon does contribute on the offensive end, just not in the traditional way many of us expect. He's great in transition and goes strong to the basket. His shooting skills are a little to be desired (ok, a lot) but his athleticism makes up for an awful lot. He provides a different element to the game that someone like Pitts couldn't hope to bring. For a freshman, he's been a really solid role player for this squad. He plays D, rebounds, and disrupts. On the offensive end, sometimes you have to close one eye and turn your head....but he is still a freshman. I remember when Nic Wise was unwatchable his freshman year. Simon has a lot of potential. The more he plays, the more comfortable he'll get.
Agreed, and I don't think anyone doubts this for a second. However I will say that when shooting is the missing skill it seems like more of an uphill battle for that player to be consistently productive on offense because it's so easy for a defense to sag off and dare someone to take the jumper. Now the last few years this was more of a problem for, say, AG and RHJ because we didn't have a lot of shooters around them but at least this year and (projected) next year we have some guys who can hit threes and open up the lane for Simon a little more.
I think we could all agree that Simon could massively benefit from an improved jumper. That said, we haven't had a guy who can slash and just jump over the D like Simon can since Iguodala. That's why I'd rather have him developing than a one and done Alkins, frankly. His physical gifts are rare.

Right now, he can be effective with the skill he has. If he can become a competent standstill shooter over the offseason, his game should really take off. That's the next step, but if/when he takes it, we have an NBA starter/star in the making.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
There's a total # element for me. It's really, really hard to fit minutes for more than 10 people, and Alkins/JJ would put us at 11 without Pitts included. If PJC or Simon were not to return, that changes. I just don't know how good a chance Miller has at selling anyone at being that 11th man, but someone will have to do it.

Not disagreeing with you at all. I think even 10 guys is hard to do, especially if you got elite scorers like JJ and Trier you want on the floor as much as possible. I guess my main point was these guys all know what they are getting in to, ego or not. Simmons knew there are going to be two upperclassmen at point, there was a good chance Trier is going to come back due to his setback and Simon is on the bench waiting for minutes, and that Arizona is a finalist for JJ, and Smith is going to likely bounce back. He still committed, out of nowhere too. Alkins is a more extreme case because Simmons is now added to the mix and it seems even he is giving it a strong look. I think Miller would find a way. Wont be ideal for all parties. Sure there is a risk someone transfers out, but that dude may be a Gabe York type who sees the light at the end of the tunnel and sticks with it and is rewarded as an upperclassman. There's a chance someone like Simon and Comanche never start, but they may be cool with that and stick around and develop.

At the end of the day though, I don't think Alkins comes, so I'm not sure why i am even making an argument :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Not disagreeing with you at all. I think even 10 guys is hard to do, especially if you got elite scorers like JJ and Trier you want on the floor as much as possible. I guess my main point was these guys all know what they are getting in to, ego or not. Simmons knew there are going to be two upperclassmen at point, there was a good chance Trier is going to come back due to his setback and Simon is on the bench waiting for minutes, and that Arizona is a finalist for JJ, and Smith is going to likely bounce back. He still committed, out of nowhere too. Alkins is a more extreme case because Simmons is now added to the mix and it seems even he is giving it a strong look. I think Miller would find a way. Wont be ideal for all parties. Sure there is a risk someone transfers out, but that dude may be a Gabe York type who sees the light at the end of the tunnel and sticks with it and is rewarded as an upperclassman. There's a chance someone like Simon and Comanche never start, but they may be cool with that and stick around and develop.

At the end of the day though, I don't think Alkins comes, so I'm not sure why i am even making an argument :lol:
I don't disagree that they would know what they were getting into. My concern is more that people would want to get into it and leave. Specifically, I would hate to see Simon leave if he is concerned about falling behind Alkins.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I would agree with the above sentiment that I'd much rather have Simon develop over 4 years than a OAD Alkins. And if Alkins coming could put a Simon transfer in jeopardy I don't want it.

However, there is no way of knowing this for sure, and if we were ever gonna go all-in for one year, next year is the year. Let's just get JJ and who cares about the rest.

Ideally, u want to get JJ in the fold asap, have Alkins wait to decide after he sees what Trier does (likely will stay). If AT stays, RA goes elsewhere, if he goes, RA comes in the fold. If they both come / stay, good problem to have.

Also get HF as a developmental big and emergency depth next year (like CC this year).

No matter what in CSM I trust. Also get JJ !!!
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

lots of great points, PZ20. it's all about JJ. it would also be nice to maybe pickup HF or another big body to support deuce, chance, and lauri next year, though i think we are all feeling a lot better about dusan's progress now than we were 6 weeks ago. alk = icing.

i'm also still open to the idea of / wondering about bringing bibby on-board as a 3-4 year dev pg. there are minutes up for grabs if he can look past his freshman season (and possibly RS).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:lots of great points, PZ20. it's all about JJ. it would also be nice to maybe pickup HF or another big body to support deuce, chance, and lauri next year, though i think we are all feeling a lot better about dusan's progress now than we were 6 weeks ago. alk = icing.

i'm also still open to the idea of / wondering about bringing bibby on-board as a 3-4 year dev pg. there are minutes up for grabs if he can look past his freshman season (and possibly RS).
If KS is the point guard he is billed as, we have a 4 year guy (PJC), Allen, Simmons and a chance at another top ten guy in Brown in 17. I'm not sure why, if we think there's a legit 17 pg on the way, that PG would be the position for a 3-4 year developmental prospect.

If we are developing, a big guy would be better. There's an interchangability there, and it is impossible to have too many big guys.