Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catgrad97

Re: Sean Miller

Post by catgrad97 »

"Lost the team" my ass. Those same people probably supported Chris Rodgers against Lute. Who delivered these guys a Pac-12 title last season and who coaches up our U.S. Olympic team?

It's not these players' right to go out on the floor and dog it on opposing players' drives. That's their first responsibility--stay in front of your man on D.

Instead, our guards have been treating it like it's the other way around. And some of the fans want to blame the refs for that, which is a total cop-out.

If I was a four-star athlete like any of these dudes, and Miller got in my face and screamed like that, they'd need Dale's Indiana National Guard to keep me off the floor. And our senior "leader" who Miller looks to rally and regroup the rest of the team is a streak-shooting turnover machine who is the furthest thing from TJ on the floor possible.

I'd be fine with making this Kadeem's, Anderson's and Zeus' team and tell everyone else to run the damn offense to get themselves open and get any touches at all on O.

Gabe and Tolly have reverted to their early-season chucking and athletic limitations on defense which gave every pre-Gonzaga opponent virtually every in-game run it had.

They've had enough rope. They're not reliable. Stick with the three starters who are and tell the rest to support them.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Lost among all this discussion is the fact that Miller accepted zero responsibility for himself and/or the staff for any responsibility for last night's loss...

... "just sayin'", as they say.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pc in NM wrote:Lost among all this discussion is the fact that Miller accepted zero responsibility for himself and/or the staff for any responsibility for last night's loss...

FIRE MILLER!
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

catgrad97 wrote:"Lost the team" my ass. Those same people probably supported Chris Rodgers against Lute. Who delivered these guys a Pac-12 title last season and who coaches up our U.S. Olympic team?

It's not these players' right to go out on the floor and dog it on opposing players' drives. That's their first responsibility--stay in front of your man on D.

Instead, our guards have been treating it like it's the other way around. And some of the fans want to blame the refs for that, which is a total cop-out.

If I was a four-star athlete like any of these dudes, and Miller got in my face and screamed like that, they'd need Dale's Indiana National Guard to keep me off the floor. And our senior "leader" who Miller looks to rally and regroup the rest of the team is a streak-shooting turnover machine who is the furthest thing from TJ on the floor possible.

I'd be fine with making this Kadeem's, Anderson's and Zeus' team and tell everyone else to run the damn offense to get themselves open and get any touches at all on O.

Gabe and Tolly have reverted to their early-season chucking and athletic limitations on defense which gave every pre-Gonzaga opponent virtually every in-game run it had.

They've had enough rope. They're not reliable. Stick with the three starters who are and tell the rest to support them.
Ryan Anderson's comments in the media room were very telling. He apologized and said that the great trappings of the program (video introductions, locker rooms, etc...) were built by the successful players and coaches before them. I think it was clear that Miller got in their faces that they're enjoying wearing the Arizona jersey but not putting in nearly the effort of the teams before them and last night was the final straw.

The absence of Trier, Smith and Pitts is beginning to wear us down. We just don't have any size AND quickness to guard athletic teams and our bigs aren't up to the task of guarding players 3 inches shorter but a lot quicker, especially with tiny guards like York & PJC on the floor offering zero help. Those guys can't even check their own man much less play help defense.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ASUHATER! wrote:
pc in NM wrote:Lost among all this discussion is the fact that Miller accepted zero responsibility for himself and/or the staff for any responsibility for last night's loss...

FIRE MILLER!
Obviously, no...

... but NO coach should ever be above criticism.

Period.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Why should he? It's clear he's been preaching the same thing to the team for a while now. The message doesn't get through when you blow out the Washington schools and then lose close on the road to Cal. They players' attitudes are that since they're back at home a win at McKale is guaranteed if they just show up. Getting easy offense in the first ten minutes actually made things worse: why listen to coach harp about defense when we're scoring so easy? Then Oregon made adjustments and we cooled off. And we certainly didn't create any offense with our defense forcing turnovers.

I was worried as hell about this game when we shot 11-12 FG's and weren't up all that much and were turning the ball over like crazy. I was just hoping the light bulb would go off and we'd show some pride. I'm not big on slapping the floor like a Duke ass, but our guys need to get up into the opponents' jersey and play physical and show some toughness. And we don't do that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well, except all of the times he said "we" and "us" of course, which by my count was 20+ for each. But what was Sean or the coaches supposed to do during the game? I'm sure they told the guys to stop turning the ball over and to play some defense. Did they need to get out there themselves and do it?

But it's got to be tough to coach the same way day after day, month after month, year after year, and for some teams to buy in and others to tune out.
pc in NM wrote:... but NO coach should ever be above criticism.

Period.
That's fine. Got any specific and substantive criticisms of the job CSM and the staff did last night or in the run up to this game? I mean, I didn't see the team get flustered by some special defense they should have prepared for or run some other kind of offense that the players were unfamiliar with. So what should have or could have changed?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

What can he say? There were at least 5-7 weak post entry passes at horrible angles against tight D. That is just not being locked in on the task at hand. Defensively, it is similar. Miller is teaching the same thing as he has in the past.

If I was a player, I would have the same attitude. The major issues last night are just not things coaching can adjust. Players have pride, and it has to hurt after that game.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

carolinacat wrote:

Why should he? It's clear he's been preaching the same thing to the team for a while now. The message doesn't get through when you blow out the Washington schools and then lose close on the road to Cal. They players' attitudes are that since they're back at home a win at McKale is guaranteed if they just show up. Getting easy offense in the first ten minutes actually made things worse: why listen to coach harp about defense when we're scoring so easy? Then Oregon made adjustments and we cooled off. And we certainly didn't create any offense with our defense forcing turnovers.

I was worried as hell about this game when we shot 11-12 FG's and weren't up all that much and were turning the ball over like crazy. I was just hoping the light bulb would go off and we'd show some pride. I'm not big on slapping the floor like a Duke ass, but our guys need to get up into the opponents' jersey and play physical and show some toughness. And we don't do that.
We were outplayed AND outcoached last night.

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

How were we outcoached? Got any specific examples?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

carolinacat wrote: Ryan Anderson's comments in the media room were very telling. He apologized and said that the great trappings of the program (video introductions, locker rooms, etc...) were built by the successful players and coaches before them. I think it was clear that Miller got in their faces that they're enjoying wearing the Arizona jersey but not putting in nearly the effort of the teams before them and last night was the final straw.
This.

The last time I can remember seeing coach even close to this was when he told KP to "Get the F off the floor". Parrom responded exactly how coach wanted him to. It was a teaching moment. This team is just not nearly as hard nosed as any of Miller's previous squads. None. Including the Fogg team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:How were we outcoached? Got any specific examples?
It wasn't coaching. We lacked the focus, intensity and execution we needed after the initial burst. Short of passing out Adderall on the bench, SM was not outcoached.

The biggest potential issue was not downsizing our lineup to handle their perimeter game. That was not an error, though. We are short on perimeter depth right now and Zeus, Ristic and Anderson are 3 of our 5 best right now. We are trapped between a rock and a hard place on that against a quick, perimeter oriented team like Oregon.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It wasn't coaching. We lacked the focus, intensity and execution we needed after the initial burst. Short of passing out Adderall on the bench, SM was not outcoached.

The biggest potential issue was not downsizing our lineup to handle their perimeter game. That was not an error, though. We are short on perimeter depth right now and Zeus, Ristic and Anderson are 3 of our 5 best right now. We are trapped between a rock and a hard place on that against a quick, perimeter oriented team like Oregon.
This is exactly what I saw as well. I mean, the guy put Comanche in because he ran out of eligible players that he thought could make a difference as far as effort and focus. If Trier and Pitts are available last night, I honestly think there would have been a different outcome.

I have no issues with criticizing CSM. I'm not a huge fan of how this team was assembled. There seem to be some disparate parts and guys who are not the type of players we've seen in the past don the UA uniform for Coach Miller. Hopefully that changes next year. But from game-to-game, I don't know how you can point a finger and say, "Miller should have ______". The guy has trotted out a zone numerous times to address deficiencies in the roster even though he swore to never do so again, so it's obvious he's trying to push any buttons he can to win every game. If anyone wants to point out where I'm wrong there, I'd love to hear what you'd do differently as the coach of this team.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Chicat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:Can anyone here imagine Lute getting in a player's face like that mid-game? I can't....

Walton was critical, too.
Not every coach is Lute Olson. Nor should they be.
they say Lute would spend two-thirds of any given game watching the action, and the remaining third with his back towards the floor because he'd be talking to his players and giving them direct feedback in real-time. Coach O may not have looked like this, but he was definitely "instructing" his guys occasionally the way CSM was last night, albeit at a much lower volume and with more than a centimeter's distance between his face and theirs. :D just two different personalities.

also re: a few posts above - coach k is the u.s. mbb olympic coach, not CSM. but point taken.
i'm sure today's practice is gonna be bruuuuutal.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Only coaching mistake I saw was letting York bring the ball down the court with 2 minutes left. Dude cannot handle dribbling with the game on the line. PJC makes some pretty lazy passes, but only had 1 TO, and is a much better dribbler. York gave the ball right to Oregon without any pressure on him.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Here's one perspective:
I have to preface this with a rather obvious statement: Sean Miller is a fantastic basketball coach. Now that that's out of the way, Coach Miller and his staff were outcoached Thursday. Dana Altman brought the weave offense, a look that Arizona was not even close to being ready for. Oregon's offense led to attacking the basket and getting a ton of room to shoot threes for the majority of the game. Sean Miller is one of the best in the game at making adjustments. But it was Altman that adjusted his squad and turned the game on its head.

- Matt Sheeley – SB Nation http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... cap-brooks

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This is exactly what I saw as well. I mean, the guy put Comanche in because he ran out of eligible players that he thought could make a difference as far as effort and focus. If Trier and Pitts are available last night, I honestly think there would have been a different outcome.

I have no issues with criticizing CSM. I'm not a huge fan of how this team was assembled. There seem to be some disparate parts and guys who are not the type of players we've seen in the past don the UA uniform for Coach Miller. Hopefully that changes next year. But from game-to-game, I don't know how you can point a finger and say, "Miller should have ______". The guy has trotted out a zone numerous times to address deficiencies in the roster even though he swore to never do so again, so it's obvious he's trying to push any buttons he can to win every game. If anyone wants to point out where I'm wrong there, I'd love to hear what you'd do differently as the coach of this team.
When he put in Comanche at that point in the game, I knew it was bad. I like Chance, but a coach is throwing up Hail Marys when he sits a guy the first 31 minutes and then puts him in. That's the definition of trying anything for a spark.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote:
Here's one perspective:
I have to preface this with a rather obvious statement: Sean Miller is a fantastic basketball coach. Now that that's out of the way, Coach Miller and his staff were outcoached Thursday. Dana Altman brought the weave offense, a look that Arizona was not even close to being ready for. Oregon's offense led to attacking the basket and getting a ton of room to shoot threes for the majority of the game. Sean Miller is one of the best in the game at making adjustments. But it was Altman that adjusted his squad and turned the game on its head.

- Matt Sheeley – SB Nation http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... cap-brooks
That perspective lacks what I'm looking for. Namely, what should Miller have done differently?

You know how you beat a weave? Play over the screens with aggressive man-to-man or switch as much as possible. Switching is not an option with some of these players (PJC is too short, RA is too slow), so your best bet is to play exactly how CSM teaches his players to play in the Pack-Line. But last night the players weren't giving the requisite effort and intensity. So what could Miller have done differently?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote:
Here's one perspective:

By this standard, every losing coach has been outcoached. The Ducks offense worked? You don't say!

Also, this is just dumb. The weave is designed to get individual perimeter defenders moving and expose their weak on ball D. The ways to stop it include zone (not our primary D and a bad option against a perimeter team like Oregon) and having better on ball defenders.
az91

Post by az91 »

pc in NM wrote:
carolinacat wrote:

We were outplayed AND outcoached last night.
I don't know about outcoached. I do not think we had the talent to match up with Oregon last night. Miller can only do so much with what he has available currently. It certainly doesn't help that we are down three players.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Here's one perspective:

That perspective lacks what I'm looking for. Namely, what should Miller have done differently?

You know how you beat a weave? Play over the screens with aggressive man-to-man or switch as much as possible. Switching is not an option with some of these players (PJC is too short, RA is too slow), so your best bet is to play exactly how CSM teaches his players to play in the Pack-Line. But last night the players weren't giving the requisite effort and intensity. So what could Miller have done differently?
I agree with 90% of this. The only caveat is that I prefer not to be super aggressive. The entire premise of the weave is to use east/west motion to create north/south lanes to the rim. Hanging back a bit...at least enough to control your lanes is what I prefer.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

in retrospect, i guess it's a little surprising that CSM hasn't tightened the rotation and altered his substitution patterns at least for now, esp if our bench hasn't been stepping up and guys aren't playing hard enough to warrant a breather as Miller had mentioned. taking the starters out after the first media break, like clockwork, seemed to disrupt the team's offensive rhythm last night. and it makes sense to reward effort at practice and in production with minutes, at the expense of those who don't.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:in retrospect, i guess it's a little surprising that CSM hasn't tightened the rotation and altered his substitution patterns at least for now, esp if our bench hasn't been stepping up and guys aren't playing hard enough to warrant a breather as Miller had mentioned. taking the starters out after the first media break, like clockwork, seemed to disrupt the team's offensive rhythm last night. and it makes sense to reward effort at practice and in production with minutes, at the expense of those who don't.
He has tightened it, it's just a tough spot. Simon didn't play in the second half.

If Miller doesn't sub early, he has very little depth on the perimeter and has to play people huge minutes. Against a team that has a lot of athleticism and talent on the perimeter, running Allen and York into the ground is not ideal.

If you don't pull the trigger early, you have to do it later.
gumby

Post by gumby »

"It's only going to get worse."

*Shudder.*

Oregon, USC, UCLA are bad matchups. Cal less so, but would be with Wallace. Slashers/creators from three positions.

Even UW was giving us fits, before they face-planted.

At no point after Oregon took the lead did I think we were going to win, because we just couldn't stop them. Not even when PJC tied it up. Just another game where we rally late and can't get over the hump.
Right where I want to be.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

"I've never been more down looking at a team I coached than what I just saw"

Rough game and I felt the same, just didn't seem like there was any fire and even though we hit shots to come back our defense was awful. Brooks was running a lay up drill on us all game.

I think Oregon took like 25 more shots than we did.

There were terrible possessions on offense and we really struggled against that zone which was weird after it looked like we were going to dismantle it early on in the first half. So many boneheaded turnovers too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure what CSM says at half time, but it isn't working. The amount of turnovers start of the second half is really quite unacceptable and has been. Maybe the players are rebelling in their own way of getting yelled at.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dirtbags wrote:in retrospect, i guess it's a little surprising that CSM hasn't tightened the rotation and altered his substitution patterns at least for now, esp if our bench hasn't been stepping up and guys aren't playing hard enough to warrant a breather as Miller had mentioned. taking the starters out after the first media break, like clockwork, seemed to disrupt the team's offensive rhythm last night. and it makes sense to reward effort at practice and in production with minutes, at the expense of those who don't.
He has tightened it, it's just a tough spot. Simon didn't play in the second half.

If Miller doesn't sub early, he has very little depth on the perimeter and has to play people huge minutes. Against a team that has a lot of athleticism and talent on the perimeter, running Allen and York into the ground is not ideal.

Sadly, the subs have not been able to keep the momentum of the starters after the first 4 minutes in quite a few games now. During the in-game thread, I was yelling at CSM to put Anderson and Allen back in when the subs allowed Oregon to get within 7. Ristic, Simon and PJC can't defend anyone, and neither can Tolly andd York which I think were both out there. No players like TJ or Jason Gardner out there which can sustain that pace though. Allen just doesn't have the legs.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Sean Miller is the head basketball coach. The buck stops with him. It's his responsibility to claim the failures of what he and his team have done.

The display that I saw last night is not leadership or coaching. That's no way to inspire or motivate your team, especially when you see the lack of emotion from the players surrounding Tarc and Miller's shouting match.

Theres certainly a cause for concern.

Anyways, there's still a lot of room for improvement this season but there's no doubt that this has been a disappointing year.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

clearly last night a zone defense would have prevented UO from scoring 44 points in the paint - and would have saved players energy instead of running around over and under screens like clowns . the bench is short . conserve energy and keep our massive post players in the paint where they are most effective defending

oh but we're scared of Oregon shooting 3s so lets continue getting slaughtered by a weave that has been around for 90 years. smh

out coached yes
Last edited by RiseAndFire on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

RiseAndFire wrote:clearly last night a zone defense would have prevented UO from scoring 44 points in the paint - and would have saved players energy instead of running around over and under screens like clowns . the bench is short . conserve energy and keep out massive post players in the paint where they are most effective defending

oh but we're scared of Oregon shooting 3s so lets continue getting slaughtered by a weave that has been around for 90 years. smh

out coached yes
You mean the Oregon team that has guys 1-5 that can shoot threes? Yeah, I'd say that was a legitimate concern, dude
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

RiseAndFire wrote:clearly last night a zone defense would have prevented UO from scoring 44 points in the paint - and would have saved players energy instead of running around over and under screens like clowns . the bench is short . conserve energy and keep out massive post players in the paint where they are most effective defending

out coached yes
I hate for facts to get in the way of your trolling, but we did play zone last night. Although I do somewhat agree that Altman out coached Miller on the night, but Altman is a great coach so that isn't that outrageous.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Miller has taken blame plenty of times. The problem is effort and guys not buying in to what has been built since Miller has been here. TJ, Rondae, AG, Nick... Zeus and Gabe have been around those types of guys since they got here. Miller gives them all they need to succeed. if this was an x's and o's problem, then fine. But its not. We dont lose last night, both in so cal, and in Cal if this team gave it their all for 40. Thats the reality. Miller is handcuffed in terms of flexibility on this roster because of it being a transition year, and having two important pieces in street clothes and a guy who struggles but at least gives balls to the wall effort in street clothes due to a personal issue. Comanche was in the game last night. Simon was struggling and he still was getting put in later. This team does not have that luxury. He even touched on this in his presser last night
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I myself was not disappointed in the loss but rather the way Coach was after the game. The way he spoke and his choice of words paint a very difficult situation.

Every word of how great Oregon is was nothing more than a dig at us in where we are deficient. His words on nonleadership and toughness smack at every senior out there. His words of selfishness and doing only what the player wants was directed at someone, but who? York, Ristic?

His sideline berating of Tarc was not fun to watch and frankly today I just feel bad for everyone involved with them team right now.

Hoping tomorrow brings a renewed effort and smiles from everyone, mostly Coach. Hope the pressure is not getting to him
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Salty wrote:Sean Miller is the head basketball coach. The buck stops with him. It's his responsibility to claim the failures of what he and his team have done.

The display that I saw last night is not leadership or coaching. That's no way to inspire or motivate your team, especially when you see the lack of emotion from the players surrounding Tarc and Miller's shouting match.

Anyways, there's still a lot of room for improvement this season but there's no doubt that this has been a disappointing year.
You must have stopped playing sports at 12. First off, Millers been patient through roughly 2/3 of the season. Most big boys get a fire lit under their ass when it gets to that point (see Ryan Anderson after UCLA/USC trip, Kevin Parroms get the fucc off the floor, Stanley Johnson, etc). The teammates lack of emotion, thats normal. U dont watch that if u know whats good for u, but u hear and feel that. They need to feel that. They need to know no one is above the team, no one is above hard work and hustle.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Gronk i dont agree. Altman was brilliant last night. He had the perfect attack and his team executed. The whole night I was in my dads ear complimenting this. Millers team did not execute. If Oregon gave the same effort as us last night nobody would be saying a thing about Altmans gameplan tho.
Salty

Post by Salty »

rgdeuce wrote:
Salty wrote:Sean Miller is the head basketball coach. The buck stops with him. It's his responsibility to claim the failures of what he and his team have done.

You must have stopped playing sports at 12. First off, Millers been patient through roughly 2/3 of the season. Most big boys get a fire lit under their ass when it gets to that point (see Ryan Anderson after UCLA/USC trip, Kevin Parroms get the fucc off the floor, Stanley Johnson, etc). The teammates lack of emotion, thats normal. U dont watch that if u know whats good for u, but u hear and feel that. They need to feel that. They need to know no one is above the team, no one is above hard work and hustle.
Just because it's common for coaches to lose their tempers doesn't mean it's right of them to.

Every problem this program has is because of Sean Miller, at the end of the day. It's his job to ensure the success of the program, and if he can't take blame, then there's a significant problem with his leadership.

There's a difference between lighting a fire under a players ass vs completely losing control of your emotions and letting the stress of the situation get to you. Sean Miller lost his composure last night.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Isn't it something to see Altman storming the Pac again, when he never has any 5 stars on his roster? Meanwhile, the teams with rock star recruiting classes -- AZ, Cal, UCLA -- are struggling to survive.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Salty wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Just because it's common for coaches to lose their tempers doesn't mean it's right of them to.

Every problem this program has is because of Sean Miller, at the end of the day. It's his job to ensure the success of the program, and if he can't take blame, then there's a significant problem with his leadership.

There's a difference between lighting a fire under a players ass vs completely losing control of your emotions and letting the stress of the situation get to you. Sean Miller lost his composure last night.
Dont play that crap Salty. I know from your posting history you present as a man's man, thick skinned, highly conservative, no nonsense person. Now you are wanting to hold hands and give hugs? These are grown ass men. Ive seen worse at the high school level. Yes miller lost his shit, the same way a parent does when all else fails and they are at the end of their rope. Miller didnt put hands on him, if he did, id be the first one on here criticizing him. Lifes tough and anybody on this team is going to have to deal w things a lot worse than a coach screaming at their face on tv.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Need a towel cleanup in front of the Arizona bench!

EDIT: TO CLARIFY: the first part is "If you ever tell me to relax again..." Rest of transcription is correct.
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Speak loudly and carry a little stick.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:Need a towel cleanup in front of the Arizona bench!

EDIT: TO CLARIFY: the first part is "If you ever tell me to relax again..." Rest of transcription is correct.

Man, don't f'c with the Coach boys! Very intense.. lot of fire. 8-)
Salty

Post by Salty »

rgdeuce wrote:
Salty wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Dont play that crap Salty. I know from your posting history you present as a man's man, thick skinned, highly conservative, no nonsense person. Now you are wanting to hold hands and give hugs? These are grown ass men. Ive seen worse at the high school level. Yes miller lost his shit, the same way a parent does when all else fails and they are at the end of their rope. Miller didnt put hands on him, if he did, id be the first one on here criticizing him. Lifes tough and anybody on this team is going to have to deal w things a lot worse than a coach screaming at their face on tv.
I don't think that Sean Miller's actions last night were anything other than frustration, and that's a problem.

He's not some parent. He's the face of a multi-million dollar a year program and his actions reflect on this program more than any players actions do. Fans and the University rightfully should hold him to a higher standard than yelling like Rich Rod or Mike Stoops do, which is equally unacceptable and does not help a situation.

Control of your emotions in a high stress situation is the mark of a leader. I hope Sean Miller can learn from this experience and move on. I, along with almost every Arizona fan I know, wouldn't want another coach in charge of our program. However, he shouldn't be immune to criticism and learning from his mistake or admitting that he was wrong.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azcat49 wrote:I myself was not disappointed in the loss but rather the way Coach was after the game. The way he spoke and his choice of words paint a very difficult situation.

Every word of how great Oregon is was nothing more than a dig at us in where we are deficient. His words on nonleadership and toughness smack at every senior out there. His words of selfishness and doing only what the player wants was directed at someone, but who? York, Ristic?

His sideline berating of Tarc was not fun to watch and frankly today I just feel bad for everyone involved with them team right now.

Hoping tomorrow brings a renewed effort and smiles from everyone, mostly Coach. Hope the pressure is not getting to him
Yes, it was sobering. How many of us saw a team on the verge of losing the last two games? Seems that Miller did. Every compliment of the Ducks was a dig at the Cats.

It was astonishing to hear. I'm disappointed that the team hasn't gelled, especially since it must be hell to ignore CSM. That's some strong resistance.

Will it continue? PT will be fascinating to see on Saturday.

"Better before it gets worse" suggests to me that we'll see some novel lineups.

P.S. Now that Miller has been put on notice by Salty, we can expect him to get it together, too.

PPS: My least favorite thing about Miller is the rampant obscenities. Less is more, coach. Plus, the kids (yours included) might be watching.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Good to know Sean Miller is just the face of a multi million dollar program Salty. I mean heaven forbid a coach is anything more than that. Aaron Gordon, TJ, Rondae, Solomon Hill, etc., those well-rounded young men can all thank Miller for being a face of a business for all those life lessons that will carry with them forever. Not many Miller era cats I can think of who dont carry themselves with the utmost class, and can think of several who were shown the door

PS. Both my college coaches were essentially father figures when i was hours away from my father. And some Young men dont even have one of those in their lives outside of sports
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Not sure what CSM says at half time, but it isn't working. The amount of turnovers start of the second half is really quite unacceptable and has been. Maybe the players are rebelling in their own way of getting yelled at.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Sadly, the subs have not been able to keep the momentum of the starters after the first 4 minutes in quite a few games now. During the in-game thread, I was yelling at CSM to put Anderson and Allen back in when the subs allowed Oregon to get within 7. Ristic, Simon and PJC can't defend anyone, and neither can Tolly andd York which I think were both out there. No players like TJ or Jason Gardner out there which can sustain that pace though. Allen just doesn't have the legs.
I don't disagree about the subs, but you can't play the starters for 40, especially not against a team like Oregon.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Need a towel cleanup in front of the Arizona bench!

I love Miller.... But that was WAY over the top. (With the caveat that I have no idea what Zeus said, or exactly what sparked that tirade to begin with).

Winning cures lots of things... Hopefully we get back on that track starting tomorrow.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:clearly last night a zone defense would have prevented UO from scoring 44 points in the paint - and would have saved players energy instead of running around over and under screens like clowns . the bench is short . conserve energy and keep our massive post players in the paint where they are most effective defending

out coached yes
What is it with you and zones? I assume you think playing man is why Trier's bone broke.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Rise and Fire is Kevin O'Neil. Stabbing Lute in the back and now Miller is his bag baby
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Word is, Kaleb said, "Relax" to Coach when he got pulled. That's what made Miller lose it. And with good reason.

It makes sense too. Zeus had played a quite good game up until that point. He played crap defense on that play and showed no effort & coach pulled him because of it. So if he says, "relax" there....I can kinda see both sides. Especially Miller's. I'd have lost it there too. Coach isn't paid to relax. In fact...the very reason Tarc was getting pulled is because he was too relaxed.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

20 years from now, when they have that "20 Year Reunion" to celebrate Sean Miller's first Final Four Team &/or National Championship, Zeus and CSM will have a good laugh about this episode while explaining to Zeus' kids and CSM grand kids what happened without repeating the foul language.

At least that's my best case scenario.

For me what was most frustrating was how good they looked in the first 5 minutes, but still couldn't build a substantial lead. There was a glimpse there of how good they can be, if they get their shit together at the other end of the floor they could have a great post season run.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Thats exactly what will happen LBD. Almost all players have these w their coaches at some point. And if you ask the player who their favorite coach is, a lot of them are going to be those coaches. I can guarantee TJ had these w CSM, ive seen him bark back at Brent Brown as a dispensable NBA rookie. ill spare everyone the details, but such is a case for me too and our last "convo" was something similar to this. I was a pussy at the time and transferred. A lesson was learned, ive never backed out of a big committment due to adversity since. I stopped by to say hi recently and ended up in his office for three hours and not once was any of that brought up. What the hell happens to Zeus in the business world when a superior or someone important addresses and issue or becomes demanding? "Relax." That will go over real well.

And this team is indeed a rollercoaster. That inconsistency is directly correlated with this team's defense. Scary how good this "transition year" team could be if they defended well