Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Pop McKale

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Pop McKale »

Postmaster wrote:I believe the youngest son is currently still in high school.
Correct. Salpointe.
OSCat

Post by OSCat »

Would love to see him stay, adjust and be successful fingers crossed
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Miller isn't going to be here for the foreseeable future, beyond say 5 years. Him taking another job now is best for both parties. Book's trial isn't until April 2019 which could take a while, not to mention the Dawkins/Miller trial in fall of 2018 which might or not be bad for the program.

That means another year of uncertainty and huge cloud over the program while recruiting takes another hit. Then if the NCAA gets all the justice department's evidence, that will take a couple of years to investigate and act upon. Then if Arizona fights back against ant punishment that will be another year. We're talking 3-5 years of this cloud hanging over the program made worse by the fact that Arizona still employs Miller and if anything else comes the surface, the program is fucked.

Every year fans and recruits will wondering is Miller staying, is Arizona playing in the post season this year, is Arizona getting sanctions this year, is any huge news dropping.again, all of that for every year Miller is here for the foreseeable future. A constant rebuild mode. This is all leaving the fact that Miller's recruiting ability (at least the way he used to) is probably shot. Breaking up now is better, and if Miller takes another job and the school doesn't have to pay him millions that's even better.

You guys are in denial that it's the end of Miller era, whether that's this off-season or in a couple of years. Just hope he ends it now by taking another job because if shit goes down again in a couple years that ramifications will be worse.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Sean Miller recruiting for Arizona Wildcats as reports suggest he's interested in Pitt job
According to a report from Pittsburgh that cites unnamed sources, Miller is having intermediaries tell Pitt he’s interested in their head coaching job (unlike two years ago).

But the visible evidence so far says Miller is wasting no time hitting the recruiting trail while trying to fill those seven open scholarships … for next season at Arizona.

“His actions are that he’s actively recruiting and trying to to fill a staff,” 24/7 Sports recruiting analyst Josh Gershon said. “He’s on the road recruiting as if he’s going to be Arizona’s coach. He’s s on the phone making calls trying to find the prefect staff for him so if he’s doing all these things this is a coach who is planning to be there.”
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 446103002/" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yeah. These unsourced reports about Miller and Pitt may be BS. Just click bait.

If Miller were lying low, I’d be more suspicious. But he’s out there working on next year’s freshmen class.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

NYCat wrote:
Signed - Larry Smith
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:
Well then.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The only worse local sports media than the Tucson crew is the Pittsburgh local media as far as I'm concerned. Good christ they are awful at this. They did this shit two years ago and they just can't stop.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Umm, this is great news everyone. Sorry, but this is awesome. Everyone loves a comeback story
OSCat

Post by OSCat »

We will rise
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bosy Billups wrote:Umm, this is great news everyone. Sorry, but this is awesome. Everyone loves a comeback story
I agree. I’ve been supportive of Sean leaving but this was largely on the assumption that he *wanted* to relocate. If he’s all in at AZ, that’s terrific news.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I appreciate Miller getting that statement out. Whether it is Pitt didn't want him after all or whatever...perception is reality, and reality is our coach just made a statement saying "I am not a candidate for the Pitt job" that was so quick, it is almost on top of the Post-Gazette's story link in my Twitter feed.

So, whatever went into the stew, I don't care. It tastes good.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

he isnt leaving cause there is nowhere to go, he would if he could, and the University will not pay the big bill to fire him
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:I appreciate Miller getting that statement out. Whether it is Pitt didn't want him after all or whatever...perception is reality, and reality is our coach just made a statement saying "I am not a candidate for the Pitt job" that was so quick, it is almost on top of the Post-Gazette's story link in my Twitter feed.

So, whatever went into the stew, I don't care. It tastes good.
He's got a lot of shit going on today in regards to fixing Arizona. The Pitt media running this and then getting bumped repeatedly by the national media forced his hand to say STFU already.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:he isnt leaving cause there is nowhere to go, he would if he could, and the University will not pay the big bill to fire him
This too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
I think this demonstrates Miller's commitment to this recruiting class too. He killed that rumor fast to keep the recruiting situation from developing yet another liability, IMO.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:he isnt leaving cause there is nowhere to go, he would if he could, and the University will not pay the big bill to fire him
He is incentived further the next 2-3 years to rebuild, reload, get to a FF, then bounce because then (assuming cleared by the investigation) someone will pay the buyout. Win / Win for everyone.

PS - plus, things could look better in 36 months, he may want to stay, who knows
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Bosy Billups wrote:
He is incentived further the next 2-3 years to rebuild, reload, get to a FF, then bounce because then (assuming cleared by the investigation) someone will pay the buyout. Win / Win for everyone.

PS - plus, things could look better in 36 months, he may want to stay, who knows
at this point i have zero confidence Miller will ever make it to a Final Four at Arizona or anywhere else.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This is the most plausible version of the story.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Damn 97...really? That just seems incredibly cynical. But then, you’re more in the know than most here, so I’ll assume you’re right.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Miller: "Guess I'll keep coaching at Arizona since no one else wants me"

Arizona: "We don't have money to fire him so I guess we'll keep him"

How is any of that encouraging, it's like a relationship where two people who don't like each other anymore/hate each other but stick together because they already have a kid, or a place together or at least it's better than being alone. These situations never end positively.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bosy Billups wrote:

If he legitimately turns this ship around it'll be unprecedented that's for sure.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:

at this point i have zero confidence Miller will ever make it to a Final Four at Arizona or anywhere else.
Come on man, you're just not doing what we do hard enough. :lol:
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:

Wow, really? Came close three times, one shot away once. Think he is on the downward slope coaching skill wise? Should be peaking right about now.

I don't mind him rebuilding with 3-4 star 4 year recruits that are tough as nailz, plays punishing defense for 40 minutes, nasty af.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azgreg wrote: This is the most plausible version of the story.
and its the truth -- the ESPN gaffu fucked it all up for everyone or saved the day for everyone depending on which side of the fence you are on...all of Sean Miller's attractive equity to another landing spot vaporized when the "fake news' was released.

depending on perspective, feelings and opinion on where it leaves the university of Arizona and its basketball program is individual, but i am one of the guys who was looking forward to a fresh start, because of the scandal both sides hands are tied.

Arizona and Miller have no where to go and are stuck with each other.
OSCat

Post by OSCat »

97cats wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:

ouch
ezinaz

Post by ezinaz »

This board is quite depressing. I think we've hit rock bottom and I'm bullish for the future. Nowhere to go but up now.

Miller's a good to great coach, great recruiter, and has been at the Final Four doorstep twice.

It's just a matter of time.
Last edited by ezinaz on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:

How is any of that encouraging, it's like a relationship where two people who don't like each other anymore/hate each other but stick together because they already have a kid, or a place together or at least it's better than being alone. These situations never end positively.
It's a relationship destined for divorce, but with a sliver of hope for some sunshine to pop up out of nowhere. That's about it honestly. My bet is 2 years.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Anyway we're likely to move on from Miller in a couple of years. Miller just might be the coach to rebuild the program and leave it in better shape for a better coach. Always thought it would take two coaches to get back Arizona to being Arizona again.
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

NYCat wrote:

No relationship is perfect throughout the entire duration. Lute almost went to Kentucky. Miller could turn it around and he and Arizona love each other again. Things change fast.

I will judge where he is at by his weight. He peaked at his thinnest, put it back on this year, so hope for low carb until October.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
azgreg wrote: This is the most plausible version of the story.
depending on perspective, feelings and opinion on where it leaves the university of Arizona and its basketball program is individual, but i am one of the guys who was looking forward to a fresh start, because of the scandal both sides hands are tied.
I'm right there with you buddy.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

It is true, in that statement, why didn't he say "I am lucky to be head coach at Arizona with the best fans in the world" or something cheesy like that.

Wonder if he'll work hard to rebuild and rebrand, OR, heart not be in it and decline to an eventually firing / short retirement. Hmmm
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
i cant believe im saying this, but my love for Miller has waned considerably, i am no longer a staunch supporter on many levels, i wish for many many many reasons he was gone.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
i cant believe im saying this, but my love for Miller has waned considerably, i am no longer a staunch supporter on many levels, i wish he was gone.
Well, he IS the ultimate witch. He survived!!!!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Bosy Billups wrote:
and i did say on September 28, 2017 that if he survived this he really is a witch -- and somehow it looks like he will.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
and i did say on September 28, 2017 that if he survived this he really is a witch -- and somehow it looks like he will.
Would you really trade Pastner or Simon for Miller?

Eric Musselman wouldn't come here after Miller.

Besides the fed investigation and PJC, what other reasons?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
i cant believe im saying this, but my love for Miller has waned considerably, i am no longer a staunch supporter on many levels, i wish for many many many reasons he was gone.
Other than Book and PJC and lack of recruiting upcoming, can you provide some light on why you think that? I know those are big things but we have all covered those a lot already.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Same. At least Fisher and Calipari won with paid players.
520in480

Post by 520in480 »

I guess at this point all I have to look forward to is that he hires a young, up-and-coming assistant coach who can take over when he leaves. Geez this is depressing.
prh

Post by prh »

97, I'm curious why you think Sean will never get a FF here or elsewhere. It seems that general opinions on his shortcomings fall into 2 categories, coaching/system shortcomings and issues with roster construction.

If you believe roster construction is toast now, that's a lot more concerning to me than coaching/system issues, which can be improved more easily than turning recruiting around.

As always, thanks for all the insight you bring.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
For me I've never been in love with Sean. I'm just the type that prefers coaches with more than one trick up their sleeve. I didn't mind his deficiencies when he started here as he was still young as a head coach, but I just haven't seen any growth at all from him. The one thing that kept me coming back for more ultimately was his recruiting and landing two top tier point guards in one class had me hyped for the future under Sean, but now that that dream died a swift death thanks to his questionable loyalty to Book I am more over him now than ever and for many many many reasons I wish he was gone as well. The god damn irony that a bogus report by a god damn SEC football reporter has led to us being stuck with Sean for another 2 years or so just....makes me lost for words man. It's unreal.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

I think we should be more amenable to an alum as our next coach. It's working so far with Butler and LaVall Jordan. Matta, Musselman, Scott Drew, etc. are interesting but I'm not sure they'd take the job especially if this drags out for 2-3 more years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Why wouldn't he?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Would you really trade Pastner or Simon for Miller?

Besides the fed investigation and PJC, what other reasons?
please stop putting words in my mouth -- you tend to do this with me and speculate what im saying or thinking and tie what you think i am saying or said into an complete different set of facts.

in no way did i ever say to replace him with either of those guys, those are your words not mine, i just said and only said i wish he was gone, talk of a successor has never been addressed brought up or discussed by me in any fashion.

as for PJC, its an absolute fucking joke he was ever at Arizona and its more of an absolute fucking joke that Miller entrusted him with the program keys.

98% of the problems on and off the floor stem from the fact that you have an insecure, sad, depressed AYSO player leading a power 5 blue-blood program with expectations of a Final Four - the fungus spread and everyone knew it was 4 against 5 with no backbone.

Miller should be ashamed of himself the way Arizona lost to Wichita State, Xavier and Buffalo, but more ashamed that he did nothing about a problem producing the same results and im tired and worn out from it all.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:I think we should be more amenable to an alum as our next coach. It's working so far with Butler and LaVall Jordan. Matta, Musselman, Scott Drew, etc. are interesting but I'm not sure they'd take the job especially if this drags out for 2-3 more years.
This is Lavall's first year there and he followed a very good coach who already had talent in place. If he's your example of hiring an alum who had immediate success then I will gladly counter your take and just say two words: Kevin. Ollie.

There's no alum that would take the job that is qualified to coach the University of Arizona basketball program. Just stop.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

97cats wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
If I can ask, JG (because I usually just let everyone else figure out the great knowledge you spread): What makes this survival less to love about him?

Is it the certainty that he can't--or won't--evolve as a coach?

His recruiting reputation, which is now (conceivably, permanently) damaged?

Or does the waning of affection extend to those who would no longer wish to work with him (i.e. prospective staff who could help)?

My gut feeling is that the Miller era has hit its peak and has plateaued.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats wrote: no way did i ever say to replace him with either of those guys, those are your words not mine, i just said and only said i wish he was gone, talk of a successor has never been addressed brought up or discussed by me in any fashion.

as for PJC, its an absolute fucking joke he was ever at Arizona and its more of an absolute fucking joke that Miller entrusted him with the program keys.

98% of the problems on and off the floor stem from the fact that you have an insecure, sad, depressed AYSO player leading a power 5 blue-blood program with expectations of a Final Four - the fungus spread and everyone knew it was 4 against 5 with no backbone.

Miller should be ashamed of himself the way Arizona lost to Wichita State, Xavier and Buffalo, but more ashamed that he did nothing about a problem producing the same results and im tired and worn out from it all.
Maybe you should stop mixing words and tell us how you really feel?

:D

In any event, paying RichRod $6M to leave followed by this disaster would leave the UA AD too much in a hole, don't think donors have pockets that big.

Not sure what Heeke can do.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote:
97cats wrote: no way did i ever say to replace him with either of those guys, those are your words not mine, i just said and only said i wish he was gone, talk of a successor has never been addressed brought up or discussed by me in any fashion.

Maybe you should stop mixing words and tell us how you really feel?

:D

In any event, paying RichRod $6M to leave followed by this disaster would leave the UA AD too much in a hole, don't think donors have pockets that big.

Not sure what Heeke can do.
Remember those halcyon days of 2017? When we all were worried the coach Arizona was going to be stuck with was RichRod?

But that was OK, because Miller was a witch and we were a basketball school anyway? :?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:I think we should be more amenable to an alum as our next coach. It's working so far with Butler and LaVall Jordan. Matta, Musselman, Scott Drew, etc. are interesting but I'm not sure they'd take the job especially if this drags out for 2-3 more years.
This is Lavall's first year there and he followed a very good coach who already had talent in place. If he's your example of hiring an alum who had immediate success then I will gladly counter your take and just say two words: Kevin. Ollie.

There's no alum that would take the job that is qualified to coach the University of Arizona basketball program. Just stop.
We could do a lot worse than Brase or potentially Simon in a couple years. I'm not on board with Pastner or Gardner.