Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Longhorned »

I’m just giddy that 97 is calling for Randolph to have the ball in his hands with the game on the line. Hopefully tonight carries forward.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

^^ Just noticed your sig UP Zona :lol:

Hug
97cats

Post by 97cats »

84Cat wrote: No doubt we could have called a better play to get Randolph the ball.
coach Miller likes to give the PG the ball in that situation, always has.

next season Mannion will have that opportunity, it will be him one high with the ball in his hands - the play will look the same, but the execution will be different.

Mannion is the real deal
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Can't wait for the Nico era at Arizona!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:I’m just giddy that 97 is calling for Randolph to have the ball in his hands with the game on the line. Hopefully tonight carries forward.
tonight Randolph had a new hairdo and what seemed a new attitude - aggressive, decisive, and confident.

tonight I wanted the ball in his hands to win the game - I don’t want to kick him to the curb.

has a chance to be a monster with Mannion...i can dream
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:i love Miller but boy those were two bad last possessions, one out of a timeout.

chance to go up four and instead of going to the hot hand in Randolph he runs one high with Coleman and the Beavs tie the game at the other end.

on the final possession he runs the same action with Coleman and it takes a spectacular and wild play to win the game, again not getting Randolph the ball.

just speaking my internal monologue as I’m watching the game here - didn’t like it.
Agreed completely. You knew exactly what play Miller was going to call to end the game though, it's literally the only play in his wheel house for end of game situations.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

rgdeuce wrote:^^ Just noticed your sig UP Zona :lol:

Hug
Lost my bet with r&f
Think I'll keep it til next year when we get to the final 4
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’m just gonna have to disagree with the last play ideas. Unless I’m misunderstanding. Are people suggesting that they want Randolph being a primary ball handler at the end of the game? Or, Miller should call a play that magically gets him open for a wide open look? Because I don’t want him making decisions with the ball at the end of the game. If the point guard is able to break down the defense and deliver the ball to Randolph in a good situation for him to be successful than I’m all for it. Otherwise we can expect a contested three, a ball dribbled off of a knee or some other unsatisfying outcome. We needed Williams in the game to run the end of game scenario. Unfortunately he fouled out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’m just gonna have to disagree with the last play ideas. Unless I’m misunderstanding. Are people suggesting that they want Randolph being a primary ball handler at the end of the game? Or, Miller should call a play that magically gets him open for a wide open look? Because I don’t want him making decisions with the ball at the end of the game. If the point guard is able to break down the defense and deliver the ball to Randolph in a good situation for him to be successful than I’m all for it. Otherwise we can expect a contested three, a ball dribbled off of a knee or some other unsatisfying outcome. We needed Williams in the game to run the end of game scenario. Unfortunately he fouled out.
I agree with that, but is it impossible to draw up a play where we can get Randolph a catch and shoot jumper off of a screen? Coleman was the only ballhandler available you're absolutely right there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’m just gonna have to disagree with the last play ideas. Unless I’m misunderstanding. Are people suggesting that they want Randolph being a primary ball handler at the end of the game? Or, Miller should call a play that magically gets him open for a wide open look? Because I don’t want him making decisions with the ball at the end of the game. If the point guard is able to break down the defense and deliver the ball to Randolph in a good situation for him to be successful than I’m all for it. Otherwise we can expect a contested three, a ball dribbled off of a knee or some other unsatisfying outcome. We needed Williams in the game to run the end of game scenario. Unfortunately he fouled out.
I agree with that, but is it impossible to draw up a play where we can get Randolph a catch and shoot jumper off of a screen? Coleman was the only ballhandler available you're absolutely right there.
You can design the play. Doesn’t mean it’s going to work. The other team knows who the hot hand is. They’re not just going to let him get the ball with enough room to shoot.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

look one high is one high, Coleman was the choice tonight.

i wanted to see Randolph there in some fashion given his hot hand.

the former resulted in two poor possessions and bad contested difficult shots to end the game.

good win tho on the road and a great play by Doutrive to win it.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Color me confused as well on the last two possessions. The second to last play, Miller sends Randolph to the opposite corner, likely hoping he would get a kick for a pump fake and drive, but????

The last play, I had flashbacks of Trier not being used correctly. As 97 says, Randolph runs off the rub to a ghost ball screen and thats the action? No creativity, no multiple actions, no running Randolph off staggered screens with a DHO to get him the ball on the move? Anything?
Last edited by TucsonClip on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Let’s, 97, Choo, BJBJ, Longhorned, Chi, Clip, Duece. I think I will just shut up and read :)
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Considering he was hot and getting to the rack, yes. Run him off multiple screens, staggered, and get him the ball off a dribble hand off, turning the corner towards the rim with five seconds left.

-Shane Battier
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:Color me confused as well on the last two possessions. The second to last play, Miller sends Randolph to the opposite corner, likely hoping he would get a kick for a pump fake and drive, but????

The last play, I had flashbacks of Trier not being used correctly. As 97 says, Randolph runs off the rub to a ghost ball screen and thats the action? No creativity, no multiple actions, no running Randolph off staggered screens with a DHO to get him the ball on the move? Anything?
And my only question to you Clip is are you even remotely surprised? When's the last time Sean Miller has run an end of half/end of game play in a half court set that didn't look exactly like that?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This was the first really good game that "knucklehead" Randolph has played in months. Easy to armchair qb the game, especially w/r/t the hot hand--too easy a revisionist temptation to slide into.

But Randolph had done nothing to this point in the season to demand the ball in a final-shot situation. Point of fact, IIRC didn't he lose the ball off his foot in a couple of similar opportunities previously at the end of a half?

If Randolph is the hot hand going forward, it is definitely incumbent on Miller to design some plays specially for him in one-possession situations.

But this kid, new haircut and all, could also revert to another 4-for-19 shooting night at Oregon with iso jumpers galore and leave us all shaking our heads, wondering what we were thinking.

No, one good shooting game hasn't put Randolph close to Salim Stoudamire territory just yet. Hoping he'll string another solid road performance at Eugene on Saturday first.

Plus, as Doutrive demonstrated, this team can't have enough playmakers right now, and hopefully he takes at least five of Smith's minutes from now on.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:Color me confused as well on the last two possessions. The second to last play, Miller sends Randolph to the opposite corner, likely hoping he would get a kick for a pump fake and drive, but????

I go back and forth. I honestly doubt we would have practiced anything like Randolph off screens before this year. Randolph was good last night, but has been under 40% from the field all this year.

This is going to sound harsh, but on this year's team, I'm not sure we run a set designed to get someone a shot, unless it's designed to get Jeter in the post. That's largely because we don't have anyone on the perimeter who's consistently been good enough to deserve those sort of plays.

So the risk of a less conventional play is you're probably drawing it up and running it right there. That maximizes screwing up execution. Or, run a play they know is coming that the players are ready to run.

Either way, the best solution is a player making a play. Most times, end of game situations work because someone makes a play. Doutrive made a play.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I would have ran something for Randolph last night simply because he was on fire from all of his "that shouldn't go...it went!" angles. His runners, baseline stuff, fadeaways, etc...

I would have had him going to the basket...same idea, crash the boards.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Miller this year is 18-5 with his full roster. Injuries happen but that is pretty good with the limited talent on this squad
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Really great to see such fire last night. Team is playing hard for their coach
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I go back and forth. I honestly doubt we would have practiced anything like Randolph off screens before this year. Randolph was good last night, but has been under 40% from the field all this year.

This is going to sound harsh, but on this year's team, I'm not sure we run a set designed to get someone a shot, unless it's designed to get Jeter in the post. That's largely because we don't have anyone on the perimeter who's consistently been good enough to deserve those sort of plays.

So the risk of a less conventional play is you're probably drawing it up and running it right there. That maximizes screwing up execution. Or, run a play they know is coming that the players are ready to run.

Either way, the best solution is a player making a play. Most times, end of game situations work because someone makes a play. Doutrive made a play.
That's exactly what I was about to type, except my version wasn't as detailed or articulate.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:Miller this year is 18-5 with his full roster. Injuries happen but that is pretty good with the limited talent on this squad

Imagine where we'd be if he had them play zone or told them to run faster.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

7-1 with the full squad in conference play
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote:

And my only question to you Clip is are you even remotely surprised? When's the last time Sean Miller has run an end of half/end of game play in a half court set that didn't look exactly like that?
Not surprised by any of this sets. Its one negative I hate to keep coming back to, but just cant help myself.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I'm not sure if it's the last time, but Gabe York's missed 16 footer at the end of regulation in the EE vs Wisky in 13-14 will always be the one that sticks out for me.

It was purely designed to get York the shot he got off a double screen. It sticks out for me because I was so stunned that was the shot we called with a Final Four on the line. Gabe York catch and shoot off the screen. It worked perfectly except the shot too.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This year, last year, most years. Miller can get his posts good looks off cross screens, duck-ins, ect. However, he frequently struggles to open up space for his guards and wings. This all leads back to the "two PG system," we are going to run next year. I would expect it is much of the same, "let them create the looks" over the designed sets to get a guard some space.

The good news is BWill and Nico are capable of creating their own space. Trier was as well, but Miller absolutely could have gotten Trier better looks without having him to create dead stop off the dribble. Thats really my issue; the rigidness of it all.

-Shane Battier
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I just rewatched the game. On the next to last possession I felt Coleman’s pass was intended for Randolph but Lee ended up with it. Anyone else have that same thought?
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

azcat49, when it happened that is exactly what I said...that pass was for BR.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Doesn’t fit the narrative. You must be wrong. :D
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'm not sure if it's the last time, but Gabe York's missed 16 footer at the end of regulation in the EE vs Wisky in 13-14 will always be the one that sticks out for me.

It was purely designed to get York the shot he got off a double screen. It sticks out for me because I was so stunned that was the shot we called with a Final Four on the line. Gabe York catch and shoot off the screen. It worked perfectly except the shot too.
Wow I did forget about that and you know what the whole WTF part of that play call was? Up to that point Gabe had only taken 1 shot the entire game in over 20 minutes of action and missed it. That certainly was a bold call to make at the time and I don't mean in a good way either. Having TJ or Nick run that Coleman play would've been a much better play at that time than running a play for Gabe with the game on the line.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I remember a KO quote about how it's "always about players and not about plays." Now I couldn't watch the game and all I saw was the last missed shot (and DD's put back) and it looked contested and desperate. From comments it sounds hard to determine in the last two (?) possessions if 1. Miller called designed plays for a specific shooter, and 2. if the Rando was designated in either of them. I understand Luther was out? But wouldn't he have just the kind of skillset to target in a design? It's really bewildering to think we wouldn't "run a set designed to get someone a shot, unless it's designed to get Jeter in the post" if we have decent spot-up shooters like Luther or Rando. I'd trust Luther waay over Rando. In recent memory, anytime Rando's feet or brain have been engaged his shot has been bad. IIRC every time I watched him playing in HS (with Ayton, wasn't it?) he was hitting stationary perimeter shots.

I don't know if it was execution or design that ran up the risk in the closing seconds of the OSU game, but I feel like CSM is not at his best in closing moments. Until recently, as Luther has come on strong, Coleman was our best % 3p shooter. A designed play that got Coleman an open pop-out return pass anywhere on the court would be crafty and play to our strength. I doubt we've designed anything like that as well. Good for us DD did DD. Done Deal.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

They called they play where Coleman dribbles out the clock then can’t get a pass to anyone so he has to dribble in a circle, almost fall over, then shoot an off balance J.
Followed by ONE of the three other perimeter players going for the rebound.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote:They called they play where Coleman dribbles out the clock then can’t get a pass to anyone so he has to dribble in a circle, almost fall over, then shoot an off balance J.

Executed to perfection
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Postmaster wrote:They called they play where Coleman dribbles out the clock then can’t get a pass to anyone so he has to dribble in a circle, almost fall over, then shoot an off balance J.

Executed to perfection
According to KenPom we are #1 in adjO when running that play.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: According to KenPom we are #1 in adjO when running that play.
lmao
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I remember a KO quote about how it's "always about players and not about plays." Now I couldn't watch the game and all I saw was the last missed shot (and DD's put back) and it looked contested and desperate. From comments it sounds hard to determine in the last two (?) possessions if 1. Miller called designed plays for a specific shooter, and 2. if the Rando was designated in either of them. I understand Luther was out? But wouldn't he have just the kind of skillset to target in a design? It's really bewildering to think we wouldn't "run a set designed to get someone a shot, unless it's designed to get Jeter in the post" if we have decent spot-up shooters like Luther or Rando. I'd trust Luther waay over Rando. In recent memory, anytime Rando's feet or brain have been engaged his shot has been bad. IIRC every time I watched him playing in HS (with Ayton, wasn't it?) he was hitting stationary perimeter shots.

I don't know if it was execution or design that ran up the risk in the closing seconds of the OSU game, but I feel like CSM is not at his best in closing moments. Until recently, as Luther has come on strong, Coleman was our best % 3p shooter. A designed play that got Coleman an open pop-out return pass anywhere on the court would be crafty and play to our strength. I doubt we've designed anything like that as well. Good for us DD did DD. Done Deal.
Luther fouled out, Randolph was doubled. We are currently seeing against Oregon why Randolph can’t be trusted with primary ball handling responsibility.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

DD is our highest %3pt shooter now.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:DD is our highest %3pt shooter now.
Has Zeke signed an LOI yet?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

enfuego wrote:
Zona, Kansas, Baylor, Purdue and UCLA were all in the running to land his services. Most of us were pretty shocked when Zeke chose Zona, but it looks like Miller was in the zone when he beat out those other coaches.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

sirhamsalot wrote:
enfuego wrote:
Zona, Kansas, Baylor, Purdue and UCLA were all in the running to land his services. Most of us were pretty shocked when Zeke chose Zona, but it looks like Miller was in the zone when he beat out those other coaches.
He knows, he's trolling and intimating that since Arizona sucks so bad this year and/or our FBI stuff that Zeke can back out and go commit to his pissant school.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I haven't seen anything that would indicate Zeke could waver, but really, who knows? Guys change their minds all the time. More so in football than hoops, it seems, but still.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I haven't seen anything that would indicate Zeke could waver, but really, who knows? Guys change their minds all the time. More so in football than hoops, it seems, but still.
It's just a troll.

One thing I think reflects positively on our fanbase is we don't troll for years on phog.net when we lose a recruit to KU. We move on. Fuego spent 4 years stuck on Zeus and now it's Zeke.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I haven't seen anything that would indicate Zeke could waver, but really, who knows? Guys change their minds all the time. More so in football than hoops, it seems, but still.
It's just a troll.

One thing I think reflects positively on our fanbase is we don't troll for years on phog.net when we lose a recruit to KU. We move on. Fuego spent 4 years stuck on Zeus and now it's Zeke.
Lol. I'd really think Fuego would outgrow this tendency at some point, but here we are.

Bottom line: our '19 class is a thing of beauty, and next season is looking quite good.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It's just a troll.

Lol. I'd really think Fuego would outgrow this tendency at some point, but here we are.

Bottom line: our '19 class is a thing of beauty, and next season is looking quite good.
I believe you have said this every year so what is so different this time?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Still waiting for Jahvon Quinerly to be suspended...
Mike Luke's burner account.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Miller should get players playing harder with motivational tools like Robert Sarver uses.

"FOUR YEARS AFTER naming McDonough general manager, Sarver acquired some live goats from a Diana Taurasi event at Talking Stick Resort Arena and planted them upstairs in McDonough's office. The stunt was both a practical joke and an inspirational message -- the Suns should find a GOAT of their own, one who dominates like Taurasi. The goats, unaware of their metaphorical connotation, proceeded to defecate all over McDonough's office."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2608 ... ont-office" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Good on ya goats. Sarver deserves that.
-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It's just a troll.

At one point Kansas was expected to at least land 2 of if not all of Nnaji, Jeremiah Robinson Earl, and Matthew Hurt. Fast forward to now and they're not going to land any of them.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote: I believe you have said this every year so what is so different this time?
I'm not sure we've had two guards this good arriving in the same year. And that's only 2/5 of the class! It's among the best classes Miller has had, maybe the best.

So what's different? The amount and type of talent. Miller has had talent before, but this '19 class feels different. More special.

Guess we'll see.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:Good on ya goats. Sarver deserves that.
If you want GOAT shit, you need goat shit.