Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:I really don’t get the freak out. Nothing he said made me think he’s going anywhere. And any “reporter” trying to parse out some kind of goodbye message is doing it for the likes and clicks.
*BearDownWldcats Inception*
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

miller knows he’s not going to last past April

Goodbye everybody, it’s tiiiiime to goooo
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RiseAndFire wrote:miller knows he’s not going to last past April

Let’s make a bet...

Either Miller coaching at AZ or you posting here will end by April.
Deal?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

azgreg wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:Scheer seems pretty confident he's staying for what that's worth.

8-)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Maybe Ace has returned from the dead

http://playersprogramu.com/arizona-wild ... DuuLLe66ig" target="_blank
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:miller knows he’s not going to last past April

Let’s make a bet...

Either Miller coaching at AZ or you posting here will end by April.
Deal?
BY CONTINUING TO USE THIS WEBSITE YOU AGREE TO ITS TERMS OF "THE BET". PLEASE READ THESE WEBSITE TERMS OF USE CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS WEBSITE (THE "WEBSITE"). THESE WEBSITE TERMS OF USE (THE "TERMS OF USE") GOVERN YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE WEBSITE. THE WEBSITE IS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR USE ONLY ON THE CONDITION THAT YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF USE SET FORTH BELOW. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF USE, DO NOT ACCESS OR USE THE WEBSITE. BY ACCESSING OR USING THE WEBSITE, YOU AND THE ENTITY YOU ARE AUTHORIZED TO REPRESENT ("YOU" OR "YOUR") SIGNIFY YOUR AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF USE.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Merkin wrote:Maybe Ace has returned from the dead

I wonder if he knows Jerryd Bayless too. :lol:
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Lol, so dumb. I can't believe that site exists.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

scumdevils86 wrote:

Lol, so dumb. I can't believe that site exists.

Yea whats amazing is the moderator immediately refused to entertain it was a troll:

"Let's hold off on attacking the newest member. I'm working on verifying this info and who he is."

Fuck that it was OBVIOUSLY a troll or prank and a moment of grand entertainment was missed by all because the moderator is a control freak.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Gonna be a long summer.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
billk78

Post by billk78 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Best news we have heard. This trumps any of the media speculation IMO. If anything was decided I doubt Miller and Arizona would continue to lead the recruits on. Barring something unexpected coming out in the courts we are just fine.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I have a feeling this done to help quiet down some of the fears. Maybe now we can start to look forward to next year after we get Wednesday's game out of the way.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:

:) nice
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

AZCatGirl wrote:I have a feeling this done to help quiet down some of the fears. Maybe now we can start to look forward to next year after we get Wednesday's game out of the way.
It was very timely.
mytwocents

Post by mytwocents »

FWIW...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And if course ESPIN radio this morning had a whole segment on both Miller and Wade. they said both are done.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My boss today....

“So I saw on ESPN that Sean Miller is quitting?”

JFC
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Welcome back to the forum Lauren.
mytwocents

Post by mytwocents »

azgreg wrote:Welcome back to the forum Lauren.
Thanks Greg :) I try lurking...twitter takes up so much of my time :-/
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

I don't really think the speculation is that Miller's departure will be his choice...
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Bruins01 wrote:I don't really think the speculation is that Miller's departure will be his choice...
That’s why twitter exploded after Miller makes a speech that’s misinterpreted as a goodbye speech? #confusedagain
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bruins01 wrote:I don't really think the speculation is that Miller's departure will be his choice...
Except that’s exactly what it is.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

mytwocents wrote:FWIW...
As a rule, I really dislike Ari Alexander. I'll sort of let that slide for the present, but I don't fully forgive him.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe Coach Miller just wanted one more FU ESPIN before he heads into the off season. Had to know they would speculate and hopefully he can one day say, “ will you guys ever be right”
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Chicat wrote:My boss today....

“So I saw on ESPN that Sean Miller is quitting?”

JFC
Got the same question in text from my nephew in the real Peoria. I told him, fuck ESPiN and yay Bradley. His response, “Yes!!”
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Hopefully this USC/Stanford thing will take some heat off Miller
97cats

Post by 97cats »

"Do you feel like this could possibly be your last game at Arizona?"

"no, and im not going to comment on that."

"but, Coach, you just commented didnt you?"

"you can drive back to Phoenix!"
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:"Do you feel like this could possibly be your last game at Arizona?"

"no, and im not going to comment on that."

"but, Coach, you just commented didnt you?"

"you can drive back to Phoenix!"
He can't wait to get to the hideway
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Also, I consider myself a Miller fan....but at some point you have to see the writing on the wall. If the horses are in the stable, then you gotta get them to win the race.

I think it's a huge, huge, huge year for the guy. I hope he gets a yin to his yang as an assistant coach, and gets over the hump.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Olsondogg wrote:Also, I consider myself a Miller fan....but at some point you have to see the writing on the wall. If the horses are in the stable, then you gotta get them to win the race.

I think it's a huge, huge, huge year for the guy. I hope he gets a yin to his yang as an assistant coach, and gets over the hump.
Typically I agree with where this post is headed...we all want a coach that produces some sort of NCAA accolades...but there is an element here that should not escape notice...

Miller is essentially the Professor of Basketball in the Sports department, and yes he garners a huge salary with expectations...those expectations are incentivized with bonuses which this year Miller probably missed quite few benchmarks in contrast to years past...

But his job is primarily to make sure the program continues to move forward and progress...

This year he was handed a buttload of bad luck and had a ton of media agencies determined to see him fail at every turn...he kept his composure and with wisdom knew right away it would be a down year and went out on the recruit trail and made a better future before the books were even closed...

Sure next year MIGHT be the line in the sand year, but I would hesitate to declare it just yet...

McKale was full up all year...next years roster is looking sweet...if he does what is his "normal setting" which is win the Pac 12 I doubt if there are any discussions about exit.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Also, I consider myself a Miller fan....but at some point you have to see the writing on the wall. If the horses are in the stable, then you gotta get them to win the race.

Typically I agree with where this post is headed...we all want a coach that produces some sort of NCAA accolades...but there is an element here that should not escape notice...

Miller is essentially the Professor of Basketball in the Sports department, and yes he garners a huge salary with expectations...those expectations are incentivized with bonuses which this year Miller probably missed quite few benchmarks in contrast to years past...

But his job is primarily to make sure the program continues to move forward and progress...

This year he was handed a buttload of bad luck and had a ton of media agencies determined to see him fail at every turn...he kept his composure and with wisdom knew right away it would be a down year and went out on the recruit trail and made a better future before the books were even closed...

Sure next year MIGHT be the line in the sand year, but I would hesitate to declare it just yet...

McKale was full up all year...next years roster is looking sweet...if he does what is his "normal setting" which is win the Pac 12 I doubt if there are any discussions about exit.
PAC championships are fun and nice, and I enjoy vegas a ton.

In the end they don't keep the wolves from busting open the door for long.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Gotta win the Pac next year. We can argue about what more is expected, but it starts there.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

God forbid Arizona comes in 5th place in the PAC next year...

.... No good could ever come from that!!!

Should want to fire CSM if he performs like that...

... as did a sizable portion of Arizona fans want to fire Lute, when Arizona finished 5th in ‘96-‘97!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote:God forbid Arizona comes in 5th place in the PAC next year...

... as did a sizable portion of Arizona fans want to fire Lute, when Arizona finished 5th in ‘96-‘97!!
That's a great example of why I talk about a holistic evaluation of next year in the other thread.

Which Arizona team was better, 96-97 or 97-98? Would we fire Miller after a 97-98 season?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Fair enough, but back in '97 the Pac remained among the best leagues in the country. A 5th place finish in 2019-20 is not the same.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

There is always a sizable portion of Arizona fans that are just plain stupid. They were loud in '92 & '93 as well. Flush this season and the results because they were an aberration due to Book, the FBI, ESPN, etc... I'm sure Miller will someday remark how he would've handled things differently -- but until more info comes out there's no point in speculating.

Arizona was right in the hunt for Final 4s for several years. 2017 & 2018 early exits can be blamed on one thing and one thing only: lack of a serviceable point guard. That's on Miller. And despite Arizona usually playing 4 on 5, Miller guided his team to 2 conference tourney titles and a regular season title as well.

It's stupid to make ultimatums on next year's team. On paper, right now, we look pretty good especially if Jeter, Williams, Doutrive and Lee return. Then we're back in the mix. But injuries can derail things.

One thing that really bothers me right now about the Pac 12 is the officiating. I watched the Clemson-NC State game and was amazed at the lack of whistles in a very physical contest. The officiating wasn't prefect but crappy plays weren't consistently bailed out on tacky tack calls.

I think Arizona needs to schedule super tough next year to get battle tested. It's ok to take a few lumps. I'd prefer an Arizona team that runs the gauntlet in November-December against everyone and then is ready for conference play despite a few losses, even if it means a 4-seed instead of a 1 or 2. In the long run, for March Madness, we'll be stronger for it.

Next year it appears we'll have some good shooters. Mannion and Green look like they can create shots and knock down open looks. Armstrong looks like a cross between Iguodala and Kevin Durant. If Nnaji can provide quality minutes with defense and rebounding, then we're in good shape.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:

There is always a sizable portion of Arizona fans that are just plain stupid. They were loud in '92 & '93 as well. Flush this season and the results because they were an aberration due to Book, the FBI, ESPN, etc... I'm sure Miller will someday remark how he would've handled things differently -- but until more info comes out there's no point in speculating.

Arizona was right in the hunt for Final 4s for several years. 2017 & 2018 early exits can be blamed on one thing and one thing only: lack of a serviceable point guard. That's on Miller. And despite Arizona usually playing 4 on 5, Miller guided his team to 2 conference tourney titles and a regular season title as well.

It's stupid to make ultimatums on next year's team. On paper, right now, we look pretty good especially if Jeter, Williams, Doutrive and Lee return. Then we're back in the mix. But injuries can derail things.

One thing that really bothers me right now about the Pac 12 is the officiating. I watched the Clemson-NC State game and was amazed at the lack of whistles in a very physical contest. The officiating wasn't prefect but crappy plays weren't consistently bailed out on tacky tack calls.

I think Arizona needs to schedule super tough next year to get battle tested. It's ok to take a few lumps. I'd prefer an Arizona team that runs the gauntlet in November-December against everyone and then is ready for conference play despite a few losses, even if it means a 4-seed instead of a 1 or 2. In the long run, for March Madness, we'll be stronger for it.

Next year it appears we'll have some good shooters. Mannion and Green look like they can create shots and knock down open looks. Armstrong looks like a cross between Iguodala and Kevin Durant. If Nnaji can provide quality minutes with defense and rebounding, then we're in good shape.
In 2017, we were a bad 3 minute stretch from facing a team we almost beat shorthanded to go to the Final Four.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Good post, zg.

I think it's natural for this fan base to feel a little overeager for an outstanding outcome next year given what's transpired the last few months. It was not a good season.

But as weeks become months and we inch closer to November, you'll see some better, more nuanced posts about 2019-20. I do think a Pac title is a fair expectation for next season, provided the players you've named return. The tourney is a nasty, unforgiving beast, and the season's best teams are often out before the first weekend is done.

Looking at our roster for next year, we've got the right pieces to compete for a Pac title, starting with Nico.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Fair enough, but back in '97 the Pac remained among the best leagues in the country. A 5th place finish in 2019-20 is not the same.
We're not finishing 5th in the Pac next season. The conference is likely gonna be weak (again). The teams that excelled this season could very well deal with early exits that Arizona has dealt with for years. UW is losing 3 senior leaders and if Nowell leaves after winning POY, they'll be depleted and fall hard.

Oregon could likely lose Louis King and will likely be a co-favorite to win the Pac. ASU won't have Cheatham...and could lose Dort. They have nothing special coming in.

USC will have talent but is losing Boatwright, their best player.

That leaves a lot of so-so teams like Utah, Colorado, and UCLA.

All the more reason to load up the OOC schedule and push all the chips to the center of the table.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

In 2017, we were a bad 3 minute stretch from facing a team we almost beat shorthanded to go to the Final Four.
The 2017 Sweet 16 game was also compromised with Alkins bad hand (broken finger??).
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Next years class sounds hungry to play.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

The 2017 Sweet 16 game was also compromised with Alkins bad hand (broken finger??).
That's why I'm no fan of pre-setting expectations. Brandon Ashley's broken foot would have been a certain Final Four. Rawle's finger would probably have swung the Xavier game. That stuff happens.
AztoCa

Post by AztoCa »

AztoCa wrote:
AztoCa wrote:Decided to Look at Teams that made the final 4 since Miller joined UofA. Wanted to see how many basketball schools made it and which ones did not. And if making the final 4 is rare.

21 Final 4 participants since 2010

Kentucky (4 Trips) ( 1 Chip )
Michigan State ( 2 Trips )
North Carolina ( 2 Trips) ( 1 Chip )
Louisville (2 Trips) ( 1Chip )
UnConn (2 trips) ( 2 Chip )
Syracuse ( 2 Trips )
Villanova ( 1 Chip )
Duke ( 1 Chip )
Wisconsin ( 2 Trips)
Butler
West Virgina
VCU
Kansas
Ohio St.
Michigan
Wichita St.
Florida
Oklahoma
Gonzaga
Oregon
South Carolina

Basket Ball Schools that didn't make final 4 during Millers time here
1. UofA ( had good chances didn't get it done )
2. UCLA ( came off 3 final 4's then howland went south. Now have "Steve 16" 2.0 --> LOL hopefully forever
3. Indiana ( inconsistent recruiting not a good enough coach )

Recruiting ranking since Miller joined
1. Kentucky
2. Duke
3. UofA ( near tie with Duke )
4. Kansas ( self only 1 final 4 during this time )
5. UNC

To me the problem is the Dick Bennett coaching philoshpy ( motion offense & packline defense ) Dick had only one Final 4. Not sure why you would copy a guys coaching philosophy when he has only one final 4? So far Tony Bennett hasn't made the final 4 yet with dad's system . Seems like a Mid-Major grind it out system.

I remeber laughing at other teams when they were passing around the perimeter like a highschool team and Lute was running a modern NBA style offense with players running the show.
AztoCa wrote:
AztoCa wrote: This Virgina loss has me...

Bumping my Dick Bennett post from last year after our second consecutive loss to a 11 seed in the tourney
At least this year we lost to a 13 seed so we are trending up!

Motion offense and Packline for life! They Will Never see us coming!

Just my yearly bump about how the system we run is built for regular season success at highschools and small colleges

And our so called bad “Luck” is our lack of adaptability. We are “naturaly selected” to lose because of lack of surprise/Inventiveness/running a system from the 70’s.
Do what we do

I still have hope for next year ( may the basketball gods bless us )
Bear Down
may the Bear Be Down! :D
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

Since we are talking scheduling in this thread, are we going out of country to either play in Europe or any of the Islands? I always felt with a team like next year's that it would be a good way to bond the old with the new.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I do wish we were more aggressive defensively. The Packline makes me feel like we don’t use the athleticism of guys like Randolph and DD to our advantage.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Yes, we must demand Final Fours or National Championships... or else there MUST be consequences. After all, Tucson, AZ will ALWAYS recruit itself because it is the juggernaut that Lute built. I mean... let's ignore that (after this incoming class) there will almost assuredly never again be a HS recruit who was even alive the last time we went to a Final 4. Or any that could make a shot on a regulation-sized basket the last time Lute coached. It does not matter... the ARIZONA BRAND SELLS ITSELF.

UCLA enjoyed a far more dominant position in West Coast basketball than we ever approached. And Tarkanian-era UNLV, aside from being in a non-power conference (which the PAC has not really been in a LONG time), had almost EXACTLY the same pedigree (accomplishment wise) as Arizona enjoyed under Lute. 1 Natty & 4 Final 4's.

I am giving a complete pass on (i.e., ignoring) the past ~15 months... under the assumption that Miller is not found to have been involved in any major NCAA violations. He is guilty of some questionable personnel decisions regarding his staff, which is a legitimate concern and something Miller needs to avoid moving forward.

Those of you who keep saying that anything short of a Final 4 is unacceptable sounds ALMOST as ridiculous as ASU fans who think the Rose Bowl should be the expectation in Football for their program (they have been to 2, you know). It's been 18 years since our last one, for anyone who is counting.

If we can find a coach who is more likely to get us there than Miller, then let's have at it. But the risk/reward of making a change to elevate the program from the perennial performance he has delivered (sans the past 15 months) tilts SIGNIFICANTLY to the downside. Acting like repeated conference championships and E8/S16 appearances is so obtuse I can't believe how many people seem to accept it as gospel truth.

How much do you think UCLA or UNLV fans would like to have Sean Miller? Or a coach that provides the same total package? Those of you who think kids come to play for Arizona first and Miller second really need to take our NCAA history (and how far removed we are from it) in context of the age of current players. And then ask yourself... if you had zero ties to any of the schools in the discussion, and were an 18 year old kid who wanted to score on and off the court - what sounds more appealing? Moving to Westwood, Las Vegas, or Tucson? Hmmm....

Ned Wulk, late in his career, was BY FAR the best recruiter and coach ASU has ever sniffed. But he just wasn't good enough after 1 mediocre season, ASU's third in the PAC. (They finished runner-up in the first 2).

Most people mess up something good by looking for something better to end up with something worse, and the thing that history teaches us is that history does not teach us anything. But let's set all that aside... and go with the "PAc 12 Championship and Final 4 in 2020 or Miller is Out".

Sounds like a fail-proof plan.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Harvey Specter wrote:Yes, we must demand Final Fours or National Championships... or else there MUST be consequences. After all, Tucson, AZ will ALWAYS recruit itself because it is the juggernaut that Lute built. I mean... let's ignore that (after this incoming class) there will almost assuredly never again be a HS recruit who was even alive the last time we went to a Final 4. Or any that could make a shot on a regulation-sized basket the last time Lute coached. It does not matter... the ARIZONA BRAND SELLS ITSELF.

UCLA enjoyed a far more dominant position in West Coast basketball than we ever approached. And Tarkanian-era UNLV, aside from being in a non-power conference (which the PAC has not really been in a LONG time), had almost EXACTLY the same pedigree (accomplishment wise) as Arizona enjoyed under Lute. 1 Natty & 4 Final 4's.

I am giving a complete pass on (i.e., ignoring) the past ~15 months... under the assumption that Miller is not found to have been involved in any major NCAA violations. He is guilty of some questionable personnel decisions regarding his staff, which is a legitimate concern and something Miller needs to avoid moving forward.

Those of you who keep saying that anything short of a Final 4 is unacceptable sounds ALMOST as ridiculous as ASU fans who think the Rose Bowl should be the expectation in Football for their program (they have been to 2, you know). It's been 18 years since our last one, for anyone who is counting.

If we can find a coach who is more likely to get us there than Miller, then let's have at it. But the risk/reward of making a change to elevate the program from the perennial performance he has delivered (sans the past 15 months) tilts SIGNIFICANTLY to the downside. Acting like repeated conference championships and E8/S16 appearances is so obtuse I can't believe how many people seem to accept it as gospel truth.

How much do you think UCLA or UNLV fans would like to have Sean Miller? Or a coach that provides the same total package? Those of you who think kids come to play for Arizona first and Miller second really need to take our NCAA history (and how far removed we are from it) in context of the age of current players. And then ask yourself... if you had zero ties to any of the schools in the discussion, and were an 18 year old kid who wanted to score on and off the court - what sounds more appealing? Moving to Westwood, Las Vegas, or Tucson? Hmmm....

Ned Wulk, late in his career, was BY FAR the best recruiter and coach ASU has ever sniffed. But he just wasn't good enough after 1 mediocre season, ASU's third in the PAC. (They finished runner-up in the first 2).

Most people mess up something good by looking for something better to end up with something worse, and the thing that history teaches us is that history does not teach us anything. But let's set all that aside... and go with the "PAc 12 Championship and Final 4 in 2020 or Miller is Out".

Sounds like a fail-proof plan.
This is similar to what I was thinking. Arizona has been good so long that many of the fans are spoiled. They remind me of UCLA fans. CSM is still one of the best coaches in the country, but he isn't good enough for Arizona? He has missed the final four twice by a missed shot. If the Cats let Miller go the odds of finding a coach as good, or better, is small.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

One thing that doesn't help Miller: his brand of basketball is boring.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: