Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

loomer

Re: Sean Miller

Post by loomer »

zonagrad wrote:Chris Beard being a great coach doesn’t make Sean Miller a bad coach.
Tony Bennett lost to a 16 seed. And the game wasn’t even close. He’s in the Final Four because Purdue couldn’t get a rebound on a missed FT and they got a miracle to go their way. That isn’t great coaching, that’s great luck. Tony Bennett’s coaching didn’t make that shot go down any more than Sean Miller’s coaching made Jamelle Horne miss a wide open 3. Or TJ McConnell miss a jumper at the elbow. Or Nick ZJohnson getting called for an offensive foul. It takes a bit of luck to reach the Final Four. Sometimes that luck is bad luck. Just look at the finishes of Duke’s last two games.
Tony Bennett lost to a 16 seed because his team was still utilizing his Dad's archaic Mover-Blocker offense in combination with his packline getting killed by UMBC's Spain pick & rolls all-night long. Kudos to Tony Bennett for completely transforming his offense this season after realizing its deficiencies. That's great coaching.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

CalStateTempe wrote:Miller isn’t a bad coach. If he certainly isn’t a creative or adaptive in game coach.

That’s what is going to keep him from being where we all want him to be.
That and the very real possibility he won't be a head coach again after the trial.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
loomer wrote:Chris Beard just made the Final Four with two top-100 players in his rotation and one of them is a transfer.
Chris beard is gonna kill it at UCLA
Is that the front runner now? Haven’t been following it
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

zonagrad wrote:Chris Beard being a great coach doesn’t make Sean Miller a bad coach.
Tony Bennett lost to a 16 seed. And the game wasn’t even close. He’s in the Final Four because Purdue couldn’t get a rebound on a missed FT and they got a miracle to go their way. That isn’t great coaching, that’s great luck. Tony Bennett’s coaching didn’t make that shot go down any more than Sean Miller’s coaching made Jamelle Horne miss a wide open 3. Or TJ McConnell miss a jumper at the elbow. Or Nick ZJohnson getting called for an offensive foul. It takes a bit of luck to reach the Final Four. Sometimes that luck is bad luck. Just look at the finishes of Duke’s last two games.
Definitely takes a lot of luck but keep in mind it’s not 2015 anymore

Our tournament performance the last four years has not been due to bad luck

Winning two ncaa games in four years can not be attributed to just bad luck at a place like Arizona
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

loomer wrote:
Tony Bennett lost to a 16 seed because his team was still utilizing his Dad's archaic Mover-Blocker offense in combination with his packline getting killed by UMBC's Spain pick & rolls all-night long. Kudos to Tony Bennett for completely transforming his offense this season after realizing its deficiencies. That's great coaching.
Yes it is.

Meanwhile we see the same damn end of game play everything a game is in the line.

Do what we do.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
loomer wrote:Chris Beard just made the Final Four with two top-100 players in his rotation and one of them is a transfer.
Chris beard is gonna kill it at UCLA
Is that the front runner now? Haven’t been following it
He ain't going to UCLA.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Meanwhile we see the same damn end of game play everything a game is in the line.

Do what we do.
And say what we say. I’m starting to want a new coach just so you guys can make some in-game complaint adjustments.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Tony Bennett is now considered a better coach than Sean Miller because Purdue couldn’t get a defensive rebound on a missed FT. If the Boilermakers simply secure the ball, Bennett is considered “a choker.” March is cruel.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

zonagrad wrote:Tony Bennett is now considered a better coach than Sean Miller because Purdue couldn’t get a defensive rebound on a missed FT. If the Boilermakers simply secure the ball, Bennett is considered “a choker.” March is cruel.

Or make two free throws. Game should have been over.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I will say that if Sean Miller was coaching during Lute's era he'd have somewhere near 4 final fours at Arizona already.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bruce Pearl is about to become a better coach than Sean Miller
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:I will say that if Sean Miller was coaching during Lute's era he'd have somewhere near 4 final fours at Arizona already.
But he is not
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

zonagrad wrote:Tony Bennett is now considered a better coach than Sean Miller because Purdue couldn’t get a defensive rebound on a missed FT. If the Boilermakers simply secure the ball, Bennett is considered “a choker.” March is cruel.
Tony is considered a better coach because he is a better coach. I think a way better coach too. To turn WSU into a good program is a miracle. To take a program like UVA to a Final four and as much success as he has had there is a miracle too

Miller did well at Xavier which is like being successful as football coach at Boise state, many have done it before him and many have and will do it after him

He also has had less success at Arizona which is a much better program then UVA. UVA you get fucked being in the same conference as UNC and Duke. Has Bennett ever brought in a higher ranked recruiting then miller outside of last year?

If you could tell me we could hire Bennett right now and fire Miller I would do it in a heartbeat. I would seriously write a good sized check to make that happen
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I will say that if Sean Miller was coaching during Lute's era he'd have somewhere near 4 final fours at Arizona already.
But he is not
Millers gotta change with the times.

And yeah, college bb perception is cruel but thems the breaks.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

for reference, IMO, taking Virginia to the Final Four is not a miracle, it’s a damn good job by Bennet, the entire staff, and team, but not a miracle - just wanted to add that to the conversation.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If Purdue makes a FT, Virginia doesn’t win. If Purdue gets a rebound on a intentionally missed FT, Virginia doesn’t win. If Virginia doesn’t hit a desperate jumper to force OT, Virginia doesn’t win. That is not coaching. You’re damn right it’s luck.

Miller has two Final Fours if open 2 shots in the final seconds fall. That’s not coaching either.

Coach K just superunderavhieved with 3 potential top 10 picks. If it was Miller, you’d fire him.

Tony Bennett lost to a friggin 16 seed!!!

I think Bennett is a great coach,

And if you don’t think Miller is a great coach, then I think you’re stupid as hell.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

zonagrad wrote:If Purdue makes a FT, Virginia doesn’t win. If Purdue gets a rebound on a intentionally missed FT, Virginia doesn’t win. If Virginia doesn’t hit a desperate jumper to force OT, Virginia doesn’t win. That is not coaching. You’re damn right it’s luck.

Miller has two Final Fours if open 2 shots in the final seconds fall. That’s not coaching either.

Coach K just superunderavhieved with 3 potential top 10 picks. If it was Miller, you’d fire him.

And if you don’t think Miller is a great coach, then I think you’re stupid as hell.

+1000.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

zonagrad wrote:If Purdue makes a FT, Virginia doesn’t win. If Purdue gets a rebound on a intentionally missed FT, Virginia doesn’t win. If Virginia doesn’t hit a desperate jumper to force OT, Virginia doesn’t win. That is not coaching. You’re damn right it’s luck.

Yet half this board is ready to fire Miller if he doesn't make a FF next year with less talent than K had
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Coach K has had the #1 class 3 years in a row, no FF
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

97cats wrote:for reference, IMO, taking Virginia to the Final Four is not a miracle, it’s a damn good job by Bennet, the entire staff, and team, but not a miracle - just wanted to add that to the conversation.
Miracle might have been very strong but Arizona is a way better job then Virginia

Virginia is a good job but not a great job. It’s a lot like Maryland

Takes really good coaching to win there as recruiting is never going to be a cake walk and you always have UNC and Duke in your conference who will recruit better then you 99% of the time

What he did at WSU though was a miracle. That could be one of the toughest jobs in the country and anyone who has ever been to Pullman would agree with me
Last edited by Newportcat on Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Then why settle for Luke Walton? Seems we could get a proven coach no matter the situation
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think Miller is an outstanding recruiter (when given superior resources like he has at Arizona) and a good coach. I don’t think he is a great coach and will not think that until he makes a Final Four especially with how weak the PAC is and how weak our non conference schedule has become

Again I also view Arizona as a top 10 job with unreal resources across the board especially on the west coast.

It’s a way better job then Texas tech or auburn or Virginia.

And I would never fire coach K. That’s beyond stupid to say that. Coach K is an unreal coach who has made 12 final fours.

Again, guys it’s 2019 and Arizona has won 2 tourney games last four years. We are on a downward trend big time regardless for the FBI crap. Next year is a massive year for Miller.

But you guys act like it’s 2015 and we are coming off of barely missing a final four. Those days are a long time ago.

Average fan thinks Miller has sucked recently . Now good news is unlike football, Arizona basketball doesn’t need average fans to sell most of mckale out. But it’s the truth

When 97cats and I hung out a parent of u of a student was with us. She is a senior and he said “man Miller has really struggled.” We both tried to reason with him but I could tell it went right above his head. Because since his daughter has been at school to him we haven’t done shit. And hard to argue with him
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:Then why settle for Luke Walton? Seems we could get a proven coach no matter the situation
I personally don’t think Luke is settling. Just me. I personally think he is a good coach in a shit situation with the Lakers and LAbron. Having met and hung out with him multiple times he is very personable and to me would be an outstanding recruiter with huge name recognition on the west coast.

His wife is also from Tucson and I think he would be all in on the job

Now if we could get Chris beard I would take him in a heart beat.

Again I am probably jaded as I do like Luke a lot and think he has a lot of upside
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

azcat49 wrote:Then why settle for Luke Walton? Seems we could get a proven coach no matter the situation
We have a proven coach. His name is Sean Miller.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bennett deserves a ton of credit (and a hefty raise) for his work the past few years. This FF has been a steady climb.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

zonagrad wrote:
We have a proven coach. His name is Sean Miller.
Oh trust me, I agree 1000%
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Newportcat wrote:

I think Miller is an outstanding recruiter (when given superior resources like he has at Arizona) and a good coach. I don’t think he is a great coach and will not think that until he makes a Final Four especially with how weak the PAC is and how weak our non conference schedule has become

Again I also view Arizona as a top 10 job with unreal resources across the board especially on the west coast.

It’s a way better job then Texas tech or auburn or Virginia.

And I would never fire coach K. That’s beyond stupid to say that. Coach K is an unreal coach who has made 12 final fours.

Again, guys it’s 2019 and Arizona has won 2 tourney games last four years. We are on a downward trend big time regardless for the FBI crap. Next year is a massive year for Miller.

But you guys act like it’s 2015 and we are coming off of barely missing a final four. Those days are a long time ago.

Average fan thinks Miller has sucked recently . Now good news is unlike football, Arizona basketball doesn’t need average fans to sell most of mckale out. But it’s the truth

When 97cats and I hung out a parent of u of a student was with us. She is a senior and he said “man Miller has really struggled.” We both tried to reason with him but I could tell it went right above his head. Because since his daughter has been at school to him we haven’t done shit. And hard to argue with him
Average fans thought Lute sucked too. Second round exit with Brian Williams in 90. Back to back first round exits in ‘92 & ‘93 with guys like Rooks, Stokes, Mills, etc... Thank god we don’t listen to average fans who don’t know shit.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I really don’t think average fan thought Lute sucked. I think they were disappointed in first round exits after such great regular season performances

But by that point Lute had made two final fours too and done the miracle work of turning Arizona into a legit program. If a fan said they wanted to fire Lute you had a lot of Reasons why that is so stupid.

That is not the case with Miller. The arguments against Miller are much stronger and have much more substance to them. Any national writer would have thought Arizona was crazy to even think of firing Lute in 93. I doubt there is a national writer who feels the same about Miller. I think most are candidly surprised he is still our coach.

Look time is going to tell on Miller but I am not optimistic anymore. I also strongly believe even if he takes us to a final four next year he is leaving us to head back east. I don’t see a scenario where is our long term coach. Just too much shit has gone down

Who knows and at least will be interesting to see how it all plays out
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote: I also strongly believe even if he takes us to a final four next year he is leaving us to head back east. I don’t see a scenario where is our long term coach. Just too much shit has gone down

If we're in the Final Four one year from now, you're going to hear Miller's praises sung more loudly than ever before. The narrative will be something like, "Miller weathered scandal, regrouped, and got AZ to their first FF in nearly two decades."

Will he be our long term coach? Impossible to say, but I'd say a FF buys him at least another three years, unless he's simply dead set on heading back east.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Exactly lol. It's just wild how that works, a whole mans perception changed because a guy on the other team missed a free throw. Duke really should have been out against UCF if we're being honest we don't even need to mention their roster.

It's really fucking hard to make a Final Four
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I think Miller cares most about rehabbing his image so he can get the hell out of dodge.

He gone after a FF.

Imo
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Miller would have a final four already if Aaron Gordon isn't called for two bs fouls while being hooked and Ashley doesn't go down vs Cal.

The Patriots would have an 18-0 season if Asante Samuel doesn't drop a right in the chest sure pick 6 the play before the helmet catch. Ish happens.

I'm just glad next season we will finally have a good pg... I'm sure... maybe... I hope.
Mike Luke's burner account.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Miller doesn’t leave Arizona unless fired or forced out which is basically the same thing. I don’t think either one of those is going to happen.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

All this talk about Miller needing to make a Final Four next year. The chances of any team making the Final Four next year are so low, why even bother with the expectation? As the overall #1, Duke was lucky to make the Elite Eight, and they were healthy, had the best player in the tourney, and arguably the most favorable bracket.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Newportcat wrote: I also strongly believe even if he takes us to a final four next year he is leaving us to head back east. I don’t see a scenario where is our long term coach. Just too much shit has gone down

If we're in the Final Four one year from now, you're going to hear Miller's praises sung more loudly than ever before. The narrative will be something like, "Miller weathered scandal, regrouped, and got AZ to their first FF in nearly two decades."

Will he be our long term coach? Impossible to say, but I'd say a FF buys him at least another three years, unless he's simply dead set on heading back east.
Really doubtful we make a final four next year. These one and done type teams are not getting it done in tourney time lately.

And from everything I have heard or read, I do not see Miller staying here long term as I do think he is dead set on a change of scenery at some point soon
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MC1983 wrote:Miller doesn’t leave Arizona unless fired or forced out which is basically the same thing. I don’t think either one of those is going to happen.
Miller would for sure leave if as good a job opened up on the east coast and they would hire him
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Newportcat wrote:
MC1983 wrote:Miller doesn’t leave Arizona unless fired or forced out which is basically the same thing. I don’t think either one of those is going to happen.
Miller would for sure leave if as good a job opened up on the east coast and they would hire him

I think you are confusing what you want with what he wants. He is here until Arizona don’t want him no more or has to fire him because of off court issues.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:All this talk about Miller needing to make a Final Four next year. The chances of any team making the Final Four next year are so low, why even bother with the expectation? As the overall #1, Duke was lucky to make the Elite Eight, and they were healthy, had the best player in the tourney, and arguably the most favorable bracket.
100% agree. There's no perfect roster. It's fantasy. Getting to the FF requires luck, no injuries (though Auburn somehow got there with a key one), and hot shooting. Look at Oregon: they had a shit regular season, somehow got red hot in March, and just barely missed knocking off UVA. A few things break their way, and they're playing against Purdue yesterday.

Duke was right where they wanted to be. Down a point with a chance for the last shot and a FF berth. It didn't happen. MSU survived Zion's best shot. By a damn point.

I don't expect AZ to be in the FF next season. I do expect them, however, to be a dramatically different team with a much higher ceiling. If we stay healthy and get the kind of season from our freshmen we're expecting, we should at the very least be in a position to make a nice run in the tourney. That's sort of all you can hope for, right? No one had Auburn, Texas Tech, UVA and MSU reaching the FF, probably not even fans of those teams. Whenever we get to our next FF (hopefully before I die), chances are it'll happen unexpectedly, not when we're a #1 seed.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:All this talk about Miller needing to make a Final Four next year. The chances of any team making the Final Four next year are so low, why even bother with the expectation? As the overall #1, Duke was lucky to make the Elite Eight, and they were healthy, had the best player in the tourney, and arguably the most favorable bracket.
100% agree. There's no perfect roster. It's fantasy. Getting to the FF requires luck, no injuries (though Auburn somehow got there with a key one), and hot shooting. Look at Oregon: they had a shit regular season, somehow got red hot in March, and just barely missed knocking off UVA. A few things break their way, and they're playing against Purdue yesterday.

Duke was right where they wanted to be. Down a point with a chance for the last shot and a FF berth. It didn't happen. MSU survived Zion's best shot. By a damn point.

I don't expect AZ to be in the FF next season. I do expect them, however, to be a dramatically different team with a much higher ceiling. If we stay healthy and get the kind of season from our freshmen we're expecting, we should at the very least be in a position to make a nice run in the tourney. That's sort of all you can hope for, right? No one had Auburn, Texas Tech, UVA and MSU reaching the FF, probably not even fans of those teams. Whenever we get to our next FF (hopefully before I die), chances are it'll happen unexpectedly, not when we're a #1 seed.
That’s what I believe will happen. The Final Four will happen when no one is expecting it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Newportcat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Really doubtful we make a final four next year. These one and done type teams are not getting it done in tourney time lately.

And from everything I have heard or read, I do not see Miller staying here long term as I do think he is dead set on a change of scenery at some point soon
Shit I’m not as well connected, but i know he was set on a change of scenery after the Wisconsin losses and was waiting for the end of the trier experiment.

His stock was already bearish and then the FBI shit hit. Can’t imagine that endears anyone to stay in a situation that they were previously looking to exit from.

He rehabs his national image and he’s gone.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:He rehabs his national image and he’s gone.
Don't you think it would have to be the right job, though?

Like, I can't see him leaving for any old second or third tier program, just because he wants out of Tucson. But if, say, UNC or Pitt or Texas or UVA were open -- and I expect all of those to be open before much longer -- then yeah, if Miller had an offer from a first-rate athletic program, maybe he pulls the trigger.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Like, I can't see him leaving for any old second or third tier program, just because he wants out of Tucson. But if, say, UNC or Pitt or Texas or UVA were open -- and I expect all of those to be open before much longer -- then yeah, if Miller had an offer from a first-rate athletic program, maybe he pulls the trigger.
Yes. I don’t think he’ll go mid major, but he’ll go power five with strong resources and a good recruiting network.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MC1983 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

I think you are confusing what you want with what he wants. He is here until Arizona don’t want him no more or has to fire him because of off court issues.
Miller is not getting fired or forced out anytime soon with the support he has from Cole & Jeannie Davis which in turn means he has full support from the athletic department unless a major smoking gun comes out which at this point Arizona athletics is convinced does not exist. Arizona athletics is also convinced we do not pay players so I take whatever they say with a grain of salt.

But to think Miller would not leave if given a great opportunity to is just very naive
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Yes. I don’t think he’ll go mid major, but he’ll go power five with strong resources and a good recruiting network.
Yep
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

For those who feel Sean Miller’s slow pace of play is the reason he doesn’t have a Final Four: here are the KenPom tempo ratings:
Virginia: 353
Texas Tech: 229
Michigan State: 201
Auburn: 153
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

zonagrad wrote:For those who feel Sean Miller’s slow pace of play is the reason he doesn’t have a Final Four: here are the KenPom tempo ratings:
Virginia: 353
Texas Tech: 229
Michigan State: 201
Auburn: 153
Miller clearly needs to tell them to go faster. These stats are deceiving. Am I right, R&F? Lol
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dead right, IMO. FWIW, this year's Final Four also validated teams that do what they do, particularly if it is slow.

Duke is a great example of how great coaches don't win every time, even with stacked rosters.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Duke is a great example of how great coaches don't win every time, even with stacked rosters.
Yep, especially when the main contributors are freshmen. It’s a Catch 22: you want the Aytons and Gordons, but a team anchored by elite freshmen rarely wins the title.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yep, especially when the main contributors are freshmen. It’s a Catch 22: you want the Aytons and Gordons, but a team anchored by elite freshmen rarely wins the title.
Should temper our expectations for next season, for both the team and CSM...

... ROTFLMAO!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It goes both ways. You have 2012 Kentucky, 2015 Duke interspersed with other, more experienced teams.

I personally take from it that the model for success is fluid. Fast, slow, young, old...all those types of teams win.