Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:Nick Johnson clearly pushes the defender away with his left arm extended. It is not as bad of a call as you all want it to be

The defender runs into him after he gets half a step. Not only is it not a no call, it's called an offensive foul.

I'm not pacified.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:Nick Johnson clearly pushes the defender away with his left arm extended. It is not as bad of a call as you all want it to be

Johnson pushes off after he was fouled. If you’re a ref and you’re gonna allow the Wisconsin blocking foul (and that’s a tough call to make given time and score), then you damn well better not call the ensuing push off by Johnson. Bottom line: it’s either a foul on Wisconsin or no call at all. And if you watch the replay, yes, RHJ had great position over a smaller defender at the exact time of the whistle. Your contrarian arguments are getting old.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

zonagrad wrote:

Johnson pushes off after he was fouled. If you’re a ref and you’re gonna allow the Wisconsin blocking foul (and that’s a tough call to make given time and score), then you damn well better not call the ensuing push off by Johnson. Bottom line: it’s either a foul on Wisconsin or no call at all. And if you watch the replay, yes, RHJ had great position over a smaller defender at the exact time of the whistle. Your contrarian arguments are getting old.
Yup.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:

I don't have a online hosting account for pics, but I screenshotted the video. You can see a point where the Wisky defender has his full body pushing against Nick and Nick's left arm is at his side.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

I don't have a online hosting account for pics, but I screenshotted the video. You can see a point where the Wisky defender has his full body pushing against Nick and Nick's left arm is at his side.

Could be the case but when you fully extend your arm you are at fault.

And RHJ would have for sure been boxed out. Could have gotten a put back but it would not have been easy.

Had Johnson just not fully extended his arm then we would not be talking about this, or had he gotten a shot off in time.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don’t how any cat Bb fan can think otherwise.
Look at who you’re talking to and you’ll get your answer.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

And RHJ would have for sure been boxed out. Could have gotten a put back but it would not have been easy.

Had Johnson just not fully extended his arm then we would not be talking about this, or had he gotten a shot off in time.
Well, when you get body checked on a straight line drive to the bucket, the natural response is to get the defender off of you, not absorb the contact. The Wisconsin player initiated the contact and Johnson used his arm to clear the defender away. It would've been impossible for Johnson to get his shot off without creating space with the violating defender. I officiate hs basketball. I've shared the video with other refs as we constantly look at videos for improvement. ALL OF THEM AGREE IT'S EITHER A NO CALL OR A BLOCK.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

Well, when you get body checked on a straight line drive to the bucket, the natural response is to get the defender off of you, not absorb the contact. The Wisconsin player initiated the contact and Johnson used his arm to clear the defender away. It would've been impossible for Johnson to get his shot off without creating space with the violating defender. I officiate hs basketball. I've shared the video with other refs as we constantly look at videos for improvement. ALL OF THEM AGREE IT'S EITHER A NO CALL OR A BLOCK.

And if Johnson did not FULLY extend his arm then it would have been a no call or a block
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

Not when the defender hits you first. That's why I said you can see a still image where the defender's body has hit Nick and Nick's arm is pinned to his side.

Who hits who first is crucial to who gets the call.
prh

Post by prh »

Shit guys why are you all arguing with the densest, most argumentative person here? Literally everyone here except for the box of rocks agrees it was a bad call
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

Not when the defender hits you first. That's why I said you can see a still image where the defender's body has hit Nick and Nick's arm is pinned to his side.

Who hits who first is crucial to who gets the call.
I agree with you completely, but the game moves fast and when the arm is fully extended you are so much more likely to get the offensive foul called on you. Had he just pushed off and kept his arm bent a bit, it is far less likely the offensive foul is called.

But again we are not certain he makes the shot without the whistle or that RHJ gets the board if he does miss.

It is 100% on Johnson for not getting a shot off before the buzzer.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Oh, ok, so it was a block, but because the game moves fast, it's cool. Never mind, carry on.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Oh, ok, so it was a block, but because the game moves fast, it's cool. Never mind, carry on.
It should have been a call on the defense first. That is true. But if Johnson did not extend his arm fully the whistle would not have been blown against him. Why is that so hard to understand? Also he had another chance and blew it big time
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

prh wrote:Shit guys why are you all arguing with the densest, most argumentative person here? Literally everyone here except for the box of rocks agrees it was a bad call
Same guy who is bending over backwards to blame a great player for a bad call by a ref makes up total lies about Sean Miller blaming the fans for a loss.

What a fan!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I think it was the right call myself. The better team won...........both times.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Captain Obvious wrote:

So predictable. You’re not even fun.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Captain obvious and machina are probably the same person.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

So predictable. You’re not even fun.
The effort is lacking. C- troll job at best.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well shit. Just had to re-live how excruciatingly close to the FF we were that year. That may've been worse than Illinois in '05.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

He pushed off the dude who wasn’t set and sliding into him.

Actually, it’s got block written all over it. Shameful.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Miller going to the prevent offense v. Oregon is Stoops worthy.

I am done with him.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:Miller going to the prevent offense v. Oregon is Stoops worthy.

I am done with him.
not just the prevent offense, but looking like a clown screaming up and down at the refs instead of just fucking coaching better
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

DWWD
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

I don't know what to say. I wouldn't say Miller was outcoached, however the playcalling at the end could have been better. Having Smith miss the one and one and then two turnovers really hurt us.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

The first half of Millers time in AZ was great. But the second half has been very disappointing. We can blame players all we want, but at the end of the day, who is faulted when players cannot execute down the stretch? They are his recruits, and it is clear he is not putting them in positions to succeed.

The fact we have 5 star talent and still underachieve consistently is very concerning. We still do not have a quality win this year (yeah yeah Illinois...). But this team looks like a 7-10 seed that will get bounced in the first game.

This is Arizona, there are no moral victories.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

WildcatStunner wrote:The first half of Millers time in AZ was great. But the second half has been very disappointing. We can blame players all we want, but at the end of the day, who is faulted when players cannot execute down the stretch? They are his recruits, and it is clear he is not putting them in positions to succeed.

The fact we have 5 star talent and still underachieve consistently is very concerning. We still do not have a quality win this year (yeah yeah Illinois...). But this team looks like a 7-10 seed that will get bounced in the first game.

This is Arizona, there are no moral victories.
I'm going skiing the first weekend of the tourney, even if cats are in Sacramento, although its increasingly likely they're gonna get shipped.

Really sick of rearranging my family and personal time around CATS sports.

end of RR era and second half of the Miller era.

I am just about done.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Regardless of how I or anyone feels about miller. I don't think he's going anywhere any time soon.

You have to ride with miller until, at the very least, ncaa shit is taken care of. If we get a wrist slap, or a face slap, you gotta keep miller till it's all taken care of because nobody good is gonna want to come here and deal with that shit
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

It's amazing how y'all let players off the hook. We're up 6 with a minute 30...Nico fouls a guy....Nico t turnover....Dylan misses a 1 & 1.....Nico has another turnover....lead gone with 30 seconds left. That's not on a fuckin coach
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Main Event wrote:It's amazing how y'all let players off the hook. We're up 6 with a minute 30...Nico fouls a guy....Nico t turnover....Dylan misses a 1 & 1.....Nico has another turnover....lead gone with 30 seconds left. That's not on a fuckin coach
You're forgetting who told the team to start playing clock ball, going away from anything that actually worked for us in the game. Not to mention the guy who recruits, coaches, and decides which players are in the game deserves to get blamed when his teams consistently do this.

WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Main Event wrote:It's amazing how y'all let players off the hook. We're up 6 with a minute 30...Nico fouls a guy....Nico t turnover....Dylan misses a 1 & 1.....Nico has another turnover....lead gone with 30 seconds left. That's not on a fuckin coach
Who had Nico on Pritchard when he tied the game instead of someone with better length and agility? Miller. Who is calling ISO ball at the end of the game? Miller. Who managed rotations that put people out there (outside of Nico) who apparently cannot pass? Miller.

There you have it.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Preach. We just took Oregon to OT on the road and lost by 1 pt in a game where the refs clearly screwed us TWICE and people are blaming this on Miller? Players need to execute. How many of you crybabies even had us winning this game?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
You're forgetting who told the team to start playing clock ball, going away from anything that actually worked for us in the game. Not to mention the guy who recruits, coaches, and decides which players are in the game deserves to get blamed when his teams consistently do this.
Explain stalling when you don't have the ball?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

WildcatStunner wrote:
Who had Nico on Pritchard when he tied the game instead of someone with better length and agility? Miller. Who is calling ISO ball at the end of the game? Miller. Who managed rotations that put people out there (outside of Nico) who apparently cannot pass? Miller.

There you have it.
Why is the game tied in the 1st place when you're up 6? Why is an 83% FT shooter missing free throws? Why is my top 10 pick repeatedly turning it over in the clutch?

We can keep euro stepping these
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Arizona was 9-14 from the FT line AND missed two front end 1-1’s. Oregon was 15-17.

That’s the game right there. Nobody “outcoached” anyone. Arizona didn’t get a foul call at the end of regulation nor in OT when Oregon did. Not an excuse. That’s a tough hill to climb.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

zonagrad wrote:Arizona was 9-14 from the FT line AND missed two front end 1-1’s. Oregon was 15-17.

That’s the game right there. Nobody “outcoached” anyone. Arizona didn’t get a foul call at the end of regulation nor in OT when Oregon did. Not an excuse. That’s a tough hill to climb.
Yet Miller is seemingly always on the losing end of these games in the last 4 years
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Always.

Always do so so close and then if it just that one missed free throw.

But everyone forgets the boner Miller moves and mismatches earlier in the game that lead to begin in that end of game situations in the first place.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

zonagrad wrote:Arizona was 9-14 from the FT line AND missed two front end 1-1’s. Oregon was 15-17.

This!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Always.

Always do so so close and then if it just that one missed free throw.

But everyone forgets the boner Miller moves and mismatches earlier in the game that lead to begin in that end of game situations in the first place.
Yeah I forgot. Remind me of them please
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:

Yet Miller is seemingly always on the losing end of these games in the last 4 years

Miller can't win the big games. He has 3 first round picks on this team, and 2 years ago had the best player in the nation.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Especially difficult when the “big game” definition is a sliding scale...

The biggest games are in the NCAA, so why are crybabies crying about a non-big game that Miller can’t win anyway?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Cause they way we’re going we might not make the NCAAs

Happened twice already during the Miller tenure.

But our recruiting is off the fucking charts!!!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Odogg has to be cats AD PR, he gets so riled up by fan venting, criticism, after four losses to top teams in a year that we’re all told is supposed to be the year.

Let’s go curb stomp ntOSU and feel great about our metrics!
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Merkin wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Miller can't win the big games. He has 3 first round picks on this team, and 2 years ago had the best player in the nation.
The book you are throwing at Miller is missing a few chapters. The top teams in the Pac all have top level talent and experience, especially a team like Oregon. They have NBA guys too. So does Washington and USC.

Duke's team had twice the talent that we had last year and came very close to losing to UCF in the second round.

Losing to Oregon hurts and I really don't like them, but its not good form to be a prisoner of the moment.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Cause they way we’re going we might not make the NCAAs

Happened twice already during the Miller tenure.

But our recruiting is off the fucking charts!!!!
Losing four games by a total of 13 points of which three of those teams are currently in the top ten is going to cause U of A to not make the big dance? Dude seriously?

Also fact check Miller has missed the NCAA three times at Arizona
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

NCAA sweet 16s and PAC12 championships and tournament are not big games but a January game in Oregon is?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Olsondogg wrote:Especially difficult when the “big game” definition is a sliding scale...

The biggest games are in the NCAA, so why are crybabies crying about a non-big game that Miller can’t win anyway?
:lol:

Not sure this helps any point you’re trying to make, but there sure are enough NCAA losses to talk about.

But I don’t even want to talk about all the past losses. I want to talk about future losses. Like when our highly thought of freshmen laden team that was supposed to challenge for a final four goes out in game one or two in this year’s NCAAs. Time to move on? Either from our current way we form rosters...or from the coach himself?

Or when we lose in the first game or the second with our freshmen laden roster are we just going to DWWD, welcome the next group of freshmen saviors and then make the same excuses for our coach and them too?

Let’s break the cycle of excuse.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

With that awesome post I’m reminded that everything I own will end up in a landfill someday and I’ll die in the end, so let’s all not enjoy anything.

Cheers!

Also, thanks to all of you that have helped remind me why I largely stay away from this cesspool.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Completely baffled by the fanbase here...on the road against the highest ranking Pac 12 team on their court we force them to overtime and they win by 1 point and people are crying about all our future losses in the NCAA tourney...what a bunch of pussys.

Every team out there except one will have losses in the NCAA tourney...EVERY.DAMN.TEAM.

Duke had a loss last year and the year before.
Kansas had a loss now for several years.
Kentucky has lost many times.
Oregon has always lost a game or even failed to show up except in 1939, THATS ALL ON ALTMAN.
ASU has lost or failed to show up EVERY year in the tourney.
The great John Wooden had plenty of losses in the NCAA tournament...

So people bitching about future loses in the tourney are not being very realistic.

On my best most rational day I hope for a split on ALL the road trips in the Pac 12 this year...

To walk out of Eugene with a 1 point loss is painful, but it is not unexpected, what was unexpected was how much we dominated in the the game and how close we really were to winning...AT EUGENE.

Get a grip. Its a marathon not a sprint.

Our Kenpom actually went up.
Just last year due to recruits bailing and injuries we had a bad year, this year we're back and have been back since Miller got here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Completely baffled by the fanbase here...on the road against the highest ranking Pac 12 team on their court we force them to overtime and they win by 1 point and people are crying about all our future losses in the NCAA tourney...what a bunch of pussys.

Every team out there except one will have losses in the NCAA tourney...EVERY.DAMN.TEAM.

Duke had a loss last year and the year before.
Kansas had a loss now for several years.
Kentucky has lost many times.
Oregon has always lost a game or even failed to show up except in 1939, THATS ALL ON ALTMAN.
ASU has lost or failed to show up EVERY year in the tourney.
The great John Wooden had plenty of losses in the NCAA tournament...

So people bitching about future loses in the tourney are not being very realistic.

On my best most rational day I hope for a split on ALL the road trips in the Pac 12 this year...

To walk out of Eugene with a 1 point loss is painful, but it is not unexpected, what was unexpected was how much we dominated in the the game and how close we really were to winning...AT EUGENE.

Get a grip. Its a marathon not a sprint.

Our Kenpom actually went up.
Just last year due to recruits bailing and injuries we had a bad year, this year we're back and have been back since Miller got here.
We're not back when we literally lose every important game we've played in the last several seasons
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.