Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Sean Miller

Post by rgdeuce »

CatFanOneMil wrote:People forget that this years line-up is missing some key components that could not be replaced early enough...(and honestly were not replaced at all just moved the existing pieces around)

Anyone want to guess where we would be if Brandon Williams had remained completely healthy?

Experience, and a good chance he would have been clutch in tight games...roll through our close games and throw him into the lineup see how the dice treats the score then.

Thats ONE guy...whom Miller was planning on...

I once went on a bow hunt in the Dragoon mountains...when I got to the campsite late on a Friday (it was my only weekend left and I had worked hard all week) I sat up camp and started getting ready for the hunt in the morning...found out I did not have ANY camo gear or clothing at all...had left it in the dryer...but I did have a paint roller some paint dye and some painters whites...

You make due with what you have...sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
We play the "what if" game all the time though. Williams had injury red flags in high school, as did several other top-level prospects/important pieces that Miller took a chance on. Combine these chances that don't pan out with the guys we lose to transfer/guys being forced out, early entrants into the draft, and the one-year grad transfer rentals, it's easy to see why things have been a mess the last several years. Doutrive, Akot, Randolph, Barcello. Those are guys you need to stick around and improve and be valuable pieces as upper classmen and if Miller can't figure it out, that's on him.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

rgdeuce wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:People forget that this years line-up is missing some key components that could not be replaced early enough...(and honestly were not replaced at all just moved the existing pieces around)

Anyone want to guess where we would be if Brandon Williams had remained completely healthy?

Experience, and a good chance he would have been clutch in tight games...roll through our close games and throw him into the lineup see how the dice treats the score then.

I once went on a bow hunt in the Dragoon mountains...when I got to the campsite late on a Friday (it was my only weekend left and I had worked hard all week) I sat up camp and started getting ready for the hunt in the morning...found out I did not have ANY camo gear or clothing at all...had left it in the dryer...but I did have a paint roller some paint dye and some painters whites...

We play the "what if" game all the time though. Williams had injury red flags in high school, as did several other top-level prospects/important pieces that Miller took a chance on. Combine these chances that don't pan out with the guys we lose to transfer/guys being forced out, early entrants into the draft, and the one-year grad transfer rentals, it's easy to see why things have been a mess the last several years. Doutrive, Akot, Randolph, Barcello. Those are guys you need to stick around and improve and be valuable pieces as upper classmen and if Miller can't figure it out, that's on him.
"If Miller cannot accurately predict the future he needs to be fired"-there fixed it for you.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

"If Miller cannot accurately predict the future he needs to be fired"-there fixed it for you.
I think this is more of a case of "if you smell shit everywhere you go, maybe it's time to check the bottom of your shoes."
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Just wanted to tell everyone Happy Valentines Day. Seeming as if we've all agreed this thread is going to be hard to read so I just wanted to add that it's sunshine & rainbows here in Las Vegas! Everyone on both sides of the Sean Miller debate is right & we all get trophies & cookies!

Congrats -

BDV
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

rgdeuce wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

I think this is more of a case of "if you smell shit everywhere you go, maybe it's time to check the bottom of your shoes."
Yeah I get it Az has nothing in the win column...shit everywhere...

Some people see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full...some fill it half full of shit and now we can't have nice things.

Happy Valentines Day, or in your case "Happy Teddy Valentines Day"...sheesh.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Just wanted to tell everyone Happy Valentines Day. Seeming as if we've all agreed this thread is going to be hard to read so I just wanted to add that it's sunshine & rainbows here in Las Vegas! Everyone on both sides of the Sean Miller debate is right & we all get trophies & cookies!

Congrats -

BDV
Valentine’s Day started out as a day of ritual human sacrifices ... so it fits into the theme of this thread nicely.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Happy Statehood Day
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Just wanted to tell everyone Happy Valentines Day. Seeming as if we've all agreed this thread is going to be hard to read so I just wanted to add that it's sunshine & rainbows here in Las Vegas! Everyone on both sides of the Sean Miller debate is right & we all get trophies & cookies!

Congrats -

BDV

And coincidentally, the Mob Museum in LV has the original wall from the St. Valentine's Day Massacre!

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Yeah I get it Az has nothing in the win column...shit everywhere...

Some people see the glass as half empty, some see it as half full...some fill it half full of shit and now we can't have nice things.

Happy Valentines Day, or in your case "Happy Teddy Valentines Day"...sheesh.
15-16 = Embarrassed by an 11 seed in the opening round
16-17 = Choked to an 11 seed in the Sweet 16
17-18 = Embarrassed by a 13 seed in the opening round
18-19 = Didn't make the tournament

This?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s a pretty shitty trend.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:That’s a pretty shitty trend.
Facts suck
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I need to move back to North Carolina, that’s the last time we were like exciting in the tourney.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
Facts suck
This is a pretty rich post considering the hills your willing to die on.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Facts suck
This is a pretty rich post considering the hills your willing to die on.
Whats that hill? That U of A is actually pretty good this year despite the record? That is backed by facts. That the PAC-12 does not draw the eyeballs the other conferences do? That is backed by facts.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

good road win
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:good road win
yup, thought it was a decent outcome even though everyone but Zeke and Smith had a pretty poor game. really need to follow this up with a good performance @ Stanford...if we do that, I might find myself getting hopeful about this team's ceiling again.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

rgdeuce wrote:

This?
Larry Scott: “Looks great to me! Give that man a raise”

I remember our last three or four tournaments being bad, but I don’t remember them being that bad. That’s a fucking disaster.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What was not a shitty trend was that for years, a Miller coached team has never lost to a lower seed. Fucking Wisky, hate that team almost as much as Duke and Illinois.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Merkin wrote: What was not a shitty trend was that for years, a Miller coached team has never lost to a lower seed....
that seams like a lifetime ago
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
Merkin wrote: What was not a shitty trend was that for years, a Miller coached team has never lost to a lower seed....
Fuckin’ Kaminsky.....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Fuckin’ Kaminsky.....
Well, here's hoping several high seeded teams from this year's tourney look back and think, "fuckin' Nnaji."
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

97cats wrote:
And that’s the problem, isn’t it?

But apparently it isn’t a big problem with boosters, which is surprising.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Fuckin’ Kaminsky.....
ya, man - you said it
SCCats wrote:
some feedback here, in reality its only a handful of boosters who are really influential in terms of dollars and money donated/committed to Arizona athletics and how that correlates to influence - and even a smaller group specifically for basketball in terms of a voice earned to move the needle...and yes, youre correct, that small pool is firmly behind Miller, and in the end we know the bottom line and how thats managed is the key, and those folks certainly aren't letting Miller go.

to the larger and more ordinary pool of boosters, the satisfaction and/or longer term commitment to the Miller regime is less stable and less satisfied and less committed (for a few years now i might add) but, just like so many other avenues of life, what ya have in the wallet, and what youre willing to share from that wallet, dictates the volume and power on your megaphone.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If we don't get out of the 1st weekend with 3 fucking 1st round draft picks and Miller doesn't get fired... you might as well hand him a lifetime contract.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote:If we don't get out of the 1st weekend with 3 fucking 1st round draft picks and Miller doesn't get fired... you might as well hand him a lifetime contract.
Well, Coach K needed the help of two refs to get out of the first weekend lsst year, with one of the best recruituing classes in history....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
ya, man - you said it
SCCats wrote:
some feedback here, in reality its only a handful of boosters who are really influential in terms of dollars and money donated/committed to Arizona athletics and how that correlates to influence - and even a smaller group specifically for basketball in terms of a voice earned to move the needle...and yes, youre correct, that small pool is firmly behind Miller, and in the end we know the bottom line and how thats managed is the key, and those folks certainly aren't letting Miller go.

to the larger and more ordinary pool of boosters, the satisfaction and/or longer term commitment to the Miller regime is less stable and less satisfied and less committed (for a few years now i might add) but, just like so many other avenues of life, what ya have in the wallet, and what youre willing to share from that wallet, dictates the volume and power on your megaphone.
Is it wrong that one of my “if I win the lottery” fantasies is that I toss the AD a boatload of money and then start throwing my weight around?

Don’t worry, I’ll put up poll threads here before I decide whether CSM should be fired.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
97cats wrote:
ya, man - you said it
SCCats wrote:

Is it wrong that one of my “if I win the lottery” fantasies is that I toss the AD a boatload of money and then start throwing my weight around?

Don’t worry, I’ll put up poll threads here before I decide whether CSM should be fired.
I can't wait to visit the University of Arizona "Chicat" badminton Center.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
97cats wrote:
ya, man - you said it
SCCats wrote:

No no no, we’re renaming the Rec Center and instituting some new rules for the pool that will definitely get us in some hot water in the #MeToo era.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

pc in NM wrote:
Alieberman wrote:If we don't get out of the 1st weekend with 3 fucking 1st round draft picks and Miller doesn't get fired... you might as well hand him a lifetime contract.
Well, Coach K needed the help of two refs to get out of the first weekend lsst year, with one of the best recruituing classes in history....
Ummm... we might not like Coach K around here... but his career record has earned him a lifetime contract. I believe he may have been to a Final 4 once or twice...
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Facts suck
Well here is a fact for you......Coach K did not make it past the round of 32 in his first 10 years as a head coach......I guess Sean is doing better then that....is that what you are saying???..... :o :lol: those are facts.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Alieberman wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Ummm... we might not like Coach K around here... but his career record has earned him a lifetime contract. I believe he may have been to a Final 4 once or twice...
Yep but he clearly couldn't relate to young folks. How do you not win the National Championship with the number 1, 2 and I believe 5 pick? One of the guys that did not go pro will be a 1st rounder this year....prob top 10 pick.He lost in what sweet 16 or was it elite 8? Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

Having the best team guarantees you nothing. These are 18 y/o young men that could have had a fight with the girlfriend and it is effecting them. Hard to tell what could effect them. I saw last night Ariz pick up 6 fouls in 2 mins (two in a row coming without the ball in play). That has to be the coach's fault. This was a team that can't shoot so you send them to the line? 3 different time they were on the verge of a double digit lead.......1 time resulted in 3 straight turnonver (Cal didn't score on the other end), one a Nico who knows what crazy decision.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
97cats wrote:
ya, man - you said it
SCCats wrote:
Pool Rules, Pool Rules, Pool Rules, Pool Rules.........

No no no, we’re renaming the Rec Center and instituting some new rules for the pool that will definitely get us in some hot water in the #MeToo era.
2sdaycats

Post by 2sdaycats »

97cats wrote:

'97 would love to hear your thoughts / outlook for the current team and future of the program? I certainly don't have the feeling about this team that I sure thought I was going to have and given Miller's rigidness / lack of evolvement as a coach both from a recruiting perspective (i.e. reliance on transfers vs development blended with OAD's) and on court coaching (do what we do/no real impactful in game adjustments/trash packline defense) it doesn't feel like there is a lot of reason to feel optimistic. I still think SM is a top 10-20 coach in the country and thus am not in the crowd that thinks Arizona should make or even be considering change but his general lack of maturation / evolution as a coach is astonishing to me.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TheCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Facts suck
Well here is a fact for you......Coach K did not make it past the round of 32 in his first 10 years as a head coach......I guess Sean is doing better then that....is that what you are saying???..... :o :lol: those are facts.
Major flaws with your talking point - Coach K's first five years were at Army, which is far from what Miller started out with at Xavier.. You also conveniently left out the fact that he went to the final four in year 11, then again years 13-17 (incl 2 titles) and year 19. Miller is in his 16th season. Coach K made Duke fans wait five years. We are on year 11 with Miller. When you don't ignore the full sample size by manipulating it to fit an agenda, things don't look so good.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

This?
Larry Scott: “Looks great to me! Give that man a raise”

I remember our last three or four tournaments being bad, but I don’t remember them being that bad. That’s a fucking disaster.
That was my exact same reaction after rg’s post.

Bad in memory, fucking ugly when shown the mirror/trend.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol. No shit.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We don't have 3 first round choices.....
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCat wrote:We don't have 3 first round choices.....
Some of the mock draft have three Cats.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I kind of look at it like this. Lute has great runs from 84-88 and then again from 94-98 and the from 01-05.

Miller had a great run from 11-15 and maybe just maybe we are beginning another up cycle. I do get the angst of his roster management and missteps though. Just rooting for the guy
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

I'm afraid we're stuck with Miller meaning we're stuck with more March sadness. Keep in mind doing less with more is Miller's vision of DWWD. I'm guessing this team will manage to make the NCAA tournament only to be ousted in game one.......again. Expectation management is the key. People expecting anything other than another embarrassing first round exit are just fooling themselves. We all know how this ends. For those that want to focus on the uncertainty in college basketball this year sadly attempting to usurp some sort of positive ending scenario just makes me laugh. This years team isn't going to magically morph into a FF or NC caliber juggernaut. In the end the Final Four will be comprised of mostly blue blood programs as usual. I know I'm not popular for posting this viewpoint and I really don't care. Come back to this post after the season is over and see how correct I end up being.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
I'm afraid we're stuck with Miller meaning we're stuck with more March sadness. Keep in mind doing less with more is Miller's vision of DWWD. I'm guessing this team will manage to make the NCAA tournament only to be ousted in game one.......again. Expectation management is the key. People expecting anything other than another embarrassing first round exit are just fooling themselves. We all know how this ends. For those that want to focus on the uncertainty in college basketball this year sadly attempting to usurp some sort of positive ending scenario just makes me laugh. This years team isn't going to magically morph into a FF or NC caliber juggernaut. In the end the Final Four will be comprised of mostly blue blood programs as usual. I know I'm not popular for posting this viewpoint and I really don't care. Come back to this post after the season is over and see how correct I end up being.
There’s a real strong “got picked last for dodgeball” vibe coming from anyone so desperate to be the I Told You So guy.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

19 - 0

+3
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

rgdeuce wrote:
TheCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Facts suck
Major flaws with your talking point - Coach K's first five years were at Army, which is far from what Miller started out with at Xavier.. You also conveniently left out the fact that he went to the final four in year 11, then again years 13-17 (incl 2 titles) and year 19. Miller is in his 16th season. Coach K made Duke fans wait five years. We are on year 11 with Miller. When you don't ignore the full sample size by manipulating it to fit an agenda, things don't look so good.
Yes that juggernaut Xavier. The one that had been to a total of one elite 8 before Sean in their history. Of course Sean got an elite eight there and their only 30 win season in their history. And of course Army played the same caliber of teams. :lol: Now you say I'm cherry picking stats. How about a head to head comparison on K to Sean for there first 10 years at Duke and at Arizona......well okay but I didn't want to totally embarrass you but I will. In K's first 10 years at Duke (including his National Champ team that went 37-3) K was 231-101 (.695) and in conference he was 76-64 (.542). Well I will just stop there because I'm bored but when Sean gets down to .542 I will be at the witch burning.....now you can crawl back in your hole rgdeuce and I will celebrate the cats miserable shooting victory over Stanford.

On a serious note.....their shooting over the last 4 games has been dreadful and we will not win many more games shooting like that. We won't win on the LA trip shooting that way and maybe not many more.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Shooting will turn around the focus has been on other things, young team gonna young team...they are learning to multi-task on the college level...

When you look at the difference in the freshmen it is clear that Zeke has been in school longer than Green and Nico, because he knows how to power through or pass out of double-temas, its not new to him, hell triple teams barely change his approach...

On the other hand Nico struggles offensively when he has to focus on defending the opposing PG...

Green just plays hard all the time...I think he is one of the most under-rated players in college ball (in spite of the attention he does get)...but even he has moments of fresh-man-ish behavior...

I predict at hime this week the scoring drought ends...Dylan got just enough confidence on this road trip to bring Anaheim back to McKale...

No one has been able to contain Pritchard as well as Nico did...I also predict that Pritchard starts to feel the weight of carrying his whole team for the whole season...hopefully he feels it at mcKale most.

Miller had three timeouts left in this game...played zone...sat his starters when they were in foul trouble and managed to stay ahead of the furd the entire game...

He's a better coach than people give him credit for...when the team loses its' his fault, when they win its the players win and not his.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

97cats wrote:19 - 0

+3
The PAC has 2 road sweeps all year... both belong to Arizona. ASU has a chance today to become the only other team with a conference road sweep
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Frybry02 wrote:

+3
The PAC has 2 road sweeps all year... both belong to Arizona. ASU has a chance today to become the only other team with a conference road sweep
Yeah remember when people in this forum were complaining that Az could not win outside of McKale, we were no good on the road and freshmen needed to learn how to win away from home? Of course that was also Millers fault...

Good times...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:

+3
Yeah remember when people in this forum were complaining that Az could not win outside of McKale, we were no good on the road and freshmen needed to learn how to win away from home? Of course that was also Millers fault...

Good times...
Yeah, now our weaknesses are just maintaining double digit leads and playing UCLA at home.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona shot 25% in the loss to UCLA at home, the worst percentage in the last 726 games played at McKale Center - I don’t like that.

then Sean Miller improves to a ridiculous 19-0 against Stanford with his second road conf sweep of the season - I like that.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

97cats wrote:Arizona shot 25% in the loss to UCLA at home, the worst percentage in the last 726 games played at McKale Center - I don’t like that.

then Sean Miller improves to a ridiculous 19-0 against Stanford with his second road conf sweep of the season - I like that.

Yes this is my point...when your team is shooting ONLY 25% what do you do in the time out tell them "Don't shoot, you're percentage is REALLY bad right now"?????

A team that averages a higher percentage THEN shoots abysmally bad is an anomaly...and what a GOOD coach does is teaches them how to win when they are not shooting well...THAT is the overlooked portion of these road wins...our shooting at Stanford was not exceptional...it was frankly LOWER than furds

We shot 37% to their 41% and on three pointers it was even worse 14% to their 17%...our combined shooting was around 30% thats not much of an improvement from 25%...and yet we never trailed and won even though Stanford was shooting better than we were...

My point is Miller cannot control the shooting percentage, but he did control how the team can manage when it is not shooting well and it showed up in the win column.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If Miller could keep his players for three years like Lute he would have multiple FF’s at this point.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion