Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Sean Miller

Post by Beachcat97 »

enfuego wrote:I'm not sure how Miller still has the support of the Arizona fans and alumni. If I were an alumni, I'd be looking for a replacement.
You're not an alumni, so you should probably pipe down.

But there are indeed plenty of fans and alumni whose support for Miller has waned. Many on this message board.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:I'm not sure how Miller still has the support of the Arizona fans and alumni. If I were an alumni, I'd be looking for a replacement.
We heard he’s bringing in Snoop Dogg for Midnight Madness next season and we’re just suckers for that kind stuff.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Ever hear of the story about "Throwing stones in glass houses??"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 871808002/" target="_blank

Remember, the NCAA last September delivered a Notice of Allegations to Kansas that ranks among the most scathing documents ever produced by its enforcement division. The thrust of the NCAA’s case is that ex-Adidas marketing executive Jim Gatto and a bag man named T.J. Gassnola funneled cash to multiple prospects under the guise of recruiting them to Kansas.

And in a dramatic departure from the way it often handles high-profile coaches, the NCAA went directly after Self in the strongest possible terms and charged him with three Level 1 (most serious) violations, alleging that he was in on the scheme in some cases and actively encouraged Gassnola’s help in securing top players.

It’s impossible to read the NCAA’s litany of charges and come to any conclusion other than it wants to run Self, a national championship coach and surefire Hall of Famer, all the way out of the sport.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

dmjcat wrote:
Ever hear of the story about "Throwing stones in glass houses??"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 871808002/" target="_blank

Remember, the NCAA last September delivered a Notice of Allegations to Kansas that ranks among the most scathing documents ever produced by its enforcement division. The thrust of the NCAA’s case is that ex-Adidas marketing executive Jim Gatto and a bag man named T.J. Gassnola funneled cash to multiple prospects under the guise of recruiting them to Kansas.

And in a dramatic departure from the way it often handles high-profile coaches, the NCAA went directly after Self in the strongest possible terms and charged him with three Level 1 (most serious) violations, alleging that he was in on the scheme in some cases and actively encouraged Gassnola’s help in securing top players.

It’s impossible to read the NCAA’s litany of charges and come to any conclusion other than it wants to run Self, a national championship coach and surefire Hall of Famer, all the way out of the sport.
Self was inducted into the HOF in September of 2017. That's as sure fire as you can get. Also, Kansas did no wrong.

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/ku/2020/f ... l-hearing/" target="_blank

About two hours into the hearing Tuesday, Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., told Emmert she felt the NCAA was failing to be transparent, consistent and fair, and said she believed this could cause some athletes to skip college and go straight to professional sports. She said she saw Girod nodding his head and asked if he would like to comment.

Girod acknowledged that KU is currently involved with an NCAA Notice of Allegations, and although “we don’t believe the evidence necessarily supports the allegations,” he said, “we support the system.”
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Kansas employee denies Kansas did anything wrong. What an incredible revelation! Thanks enfeugo!

Some people are just so dumb.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
KCF

Post by KCF »

This team has plenty of time to put it together... it's only going to be march.

/sarcasmoff
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Have we had enough yet?

Or do we require more?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:Have we had enough yet?

Or do we require more?
Ask the fucking boosters who like friendship more than good basketball.
eoe

Post by eoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:Have we had enough yet?

Or do we require more?
Ask the fucking boosters who like friendship more than good basketball.
Was never in agreement with you until today

Some of the players absolutely quit playing

Miller’s verbal lashing of Hazzard at the half vs ASU, Miller trashing his team repeatedly and singling our obvious players, Miller constantly pressing nerves with a team heavily reliant on young players (3 freshmen)

How stupid and short-sighted can you be? Imploding in every sense because he wants to win so bad, wasted a team with potential
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Do you trust Heeke and Robbins to hire a new coach?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Miller may not get fired, but will there be no repercussions for this season’s piss poor outcome? Do we just shrug it off and move on?
eoe

Post by eoe »

Postmaster wrote:Do you trust Heeke and Robbins to hire a new coach?
Not really and there are very few coaches significantly better than Miller, but sometimes it just doesn’t work and you need to hit reset. Now seems like a perfect time with the investigations, major disappointment following an understandable but self inflected losing season last year.

Now obviously there’s all the money, downside, etc but the trend is certainly heading towards the red for 4-5 years now
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I still say the same thing I've said for a while now.

Regardless of what you think of the man and his coaching, recruiting, etc.

I don't see how you let Miller go before all of the ncaa stuff is completely wrapped up and finished.

You keep him on until then, and if you want to part ways then you do, or if he's worked some magic, you keep him.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What is old is new again eh?

I fell asleep next to the kids and totally missed last nights game.

Looks like self care and self was way more important that watching this crap, again.

DWWD.

And to the miller backers I have to ask again...Are the players having fun?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:And to the miller backers I have to ask again...Are the players having fun?
If they are, I'm not seeing it. I'm sure Josh is not feeling well, but even injured players usually accompany the team on road trips. We're in SoCal FFS, not Boston.

Nico has had a joyless, timid look on his mug all season.

I gotta think Jeter's pretty bummed to be benched this deep into his college career.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

On a positive note, did those of us who complain that Miller is too rigid notice how much zone we played last night? I thought that kept us in the game even though we couldn’t shoot the ball for shit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:On a positive note, did those of us who complain that Miller is too rigid notice how much zone we played last night? I thought that kept us in the game even though we couldn’t shoot the ball for shit.
Good observation...

... and he didn't appear, as far as I could tell, to be angry in the huddles....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:On a positive note, did those of us who complain that Miller is too rigid notice how much zone we played last night? I thought that kept us in the game even though we couldn’t shoot the ball for shit.
I'm impressed, Chi, by your ability to keep finding glimmers of sunshine in a raging shitstorm.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

28.1% from the floor 11.5% from three :lol:

those are two amazing stats - third time sub 30% in a loss I believe
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Yeah it blew mind. Every time I was worried he was gonna switch us back to man. We got I wanna say 3 to 4 turnovers from the zone. Then we go back to man and they get some easy looks and fouls.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does this loss make it easier for Miller to argue that zone is stupid? Does this just reinforce DWWD in a powerful way?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote: DWWD.

And to the miller backers I have to ask again...Are the players having fun?
Doodie does not appear to be fun. It's sure as hell not fun to watch.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s a great point...even the losses haven’t been fun to watch.

It used to be even in losses with a good night sleep you could look back and be ok with it. Players where competing.

Now everything, win or lose is so...predictable.
az91

Post by az91 »

Unfortunately, we are most likely stuck with Miller until it is revealed whether any sanctions are levied on the program, but yes, it is definitely time for a replacement. The program has definitely stalled.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:Do you trust Heeke and Robbins to hire a new coach?
You can only hope they learned from the botched football hire. Outside of that there's very little to judge in regards to coaching hires among these two. To be fair the initial decision of the Navy Coach was the correct one and they were talked out of it by a concerned big money booster.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

az91 wrote:
Unfortunately, we are most likely stuck with Miller until it is revealed whether any sanctions are levied on the program, but yes, it is definitely time for a replacement. The program has definitely stalled.
Well, except for the shithole football program needs to get resolved first. The AD needs to come up with $7.5M to fire Sumlin this year.

UA BB is still a cash cow, even with Miller.

ChooChooCat wrote:To be fair the initial decision of the Navy Coach was the correct one and they were talked out of it by a concerned big money booster.
Although Tate thought he was the reason!
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

.732 points per possession.

Fucking pathetic
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What is a good number?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Postmaster wrote:What is a good number?
That is last game. We average 1.070 PPP this season(ranked 25th), 1.005 last season(180th) and 1.135 in 2017(12th). Gonzaga is at 1.176 this year and 1.197 last year
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I like this take.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:I like this take.
Does he know who his right kind of players are or does he just keep chasing stars?

Good link, thanks for sharing.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I liked it too, and it got me thinking about what kind of guy Miller is personally in an unchangeable way. He probably needs players who are as hard baked as he is, and when he doesn't get them I wonder if it's fair to say he fails the

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you're always running into assholes, you're the asshole.

test. It's not that simple, of course, but lots of young personality types will wilt or rebel and transfer, and some young talents will just cower. I wonder how he represents himself in recruitment. I would be surprised if he soft-pedaled any aspect of his personality. I guess what counts for "a grinder" in HS doesn't translate into a "grinder" in D1 college.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote:Miller may not get fired, but will there be no repercussions for this season’s piss poor outcome? Do we just shrug it off and move on?
Hasn't that been the theme over the past few years?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
I liked it too, and it got me thinking about what kind of guy Miller is personally in an unchangeable way. He probably needs players who are as hard baked as he is, and when he doesn't get them I wonder if it's fair to say he fails the

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you're always running into assholes, you're the asshole.

test. It's not that simple, of course, but lots of young personality types will wilt or rebel and transfer, and some young talents will just cower. I wonder how he represents himself in recruitment. I would be surprised if he soft-pedaled any aspect of his personality. I guess what counts for "a grinder" in HS doesn't translate into a "grinder" in D1 college.
Wouldn’t this get into recruiting circles and dissuade top tier recruits?
I have not seen a lot of negative stuff from former players
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Postmaster wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

Wouldn’t this get into recruiting circles and dissuade top tier recruits?
I would certainly think so. But Miller is obviously a very charismatic coach. He sells himself very well. You can bet his sons have their heads screwed on straight because he is a strong and inspiring leader. But how well does that sell play out in one or two years if the recruits don't know themselves? They want to be "the Miller kind of guy", and I don't blame them. Wouldn't you? Wouldn't you want that of your son?
Postmaster wrote:I have not seen a lot of negative stuff from former players
Much less than that, I haven't heard a peep. But that's sorta my point and the point of the podcast: Miller's kind of guys are hard to identify.....even hard for HIM to identify, and until he's better at that aspect of recruiting he remains a system coach without a system....a standup, dependable guy, who in the wrong crowd runs the risk of looking like an asshole. But what do I know?

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

If I were to just ball park the right kind of players, Aaron Gordon, RHJ, BrAsh, TJ, Dusan, Kadeem, nick, Solo, Zeke, Lauri, York.

Not: Stan, kobi, zo, pjc, Jarret, Nico, dyl, lots more, these are the glaring ones.

Undecided: ayton. He might just have been caught up in the drama of the group he was playing with.

But yes, lots of misses lately, maybe too many high end players not enough substance.

If this year is a disappointment, I might have my assts just go look for good guys that'll stick around and mash well together, and grow, maybe one big name.

But I don't know what I'm doing

I have a feeling we are going to regret akinjo.

Also barcello left cause we didn't have room for him on this team, but BYU beat Gonzaga and is playing like an elite 8 team right now. Sooooooooooo, maybe barcello is the right kind of player. Averaging 30 min and 49% from 3. Wish we had someone like that.

Just thinking.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:And to the miller backers I have to ask again...Are the players having fun?
If they are, I'm not seeing it. I'm sure Josh is not feeling well, but even injured players usually accompany the team on road trips. We're in SoCal FFS, not Boston.

Nico has had a joyless, timid look on his mug all season.

I gotta think Jeter's pretty bummed to be benched this deep into his college career.

Jeter earned his spot on the bench. I don’t know if it was just how terrible our team was last year or the back injury from tinkle sucking the last bit of skill out of his body , but this dude went from our 1B most important player last year to a guy who if u breathe on him in the post he throws up all board or air balls from 3 feet. It’s downright nuts and equally maddening.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's really feeling like the Miller era has been fizzling out for about 4 or 5 years now.

Does anyone really see him turning this thing back around in the next couple of years?

What he does isn't working any longer.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:It's really feeling like the Miller era has been fizzling out for about 4 or 5 years now.

Does anyone really see him turning this thing back around in the next couple of years?

Short answer: No
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:It's really feeling like the Miller era has been fizzling out for about 4 or 5 years now.

No. It's time for AZ and Miller to part ways. He'll benefit from a fresh start elsewhere, and our program will benefit from a new voice and a new vision. There are no hard feelings here, imo. It's just obvious a change is needed.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

The grass isnt always greener on the other side. This could be a lot worse than it is. Just think of where we might be if Miller didnt come here. The answer is we could easily be irrellevant by now.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

as much as I hate to say it, I agree with the two post above.

And I agree with those asking the question: is anybody having any fun? Hasn't felt that way in a few years. Maybe Pac 12 tourney final with Rawle dunk is the best, most fun I have had since the TJ era.

Since then it's been steroids, FBI, bankrupt class, and freshmen looking toward their NBA future.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

jsbowl16 wrote:The grass isnt always greener on the other side. This could be a lot worse than it is. Just think of where we might be if Miller didnt come here. The answer is we could easily be irrellevant by now.
I agree that getting a new coach is a risk... but unless we are seriously competing for Final 4's aren't we already irrelevant?

This is Arizona... we should be optimistic almost every year here.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

jsbowl16 wrote:The grass isnt always greener on the other side. This could be a lot worse than it is. Just think of where we might be if Miller didnt come here. The answer is we could easily be irrellevant by now.
We're not discussing replacing the leader of the program between 2009 and 2015. We're discussing replacing the leader of the program from 2016 to present. Their programs are completely different.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Hearing Hazzard didn’t play because him and Miller had a heated exchange? And that it’s not the first time these two have gotten into it this season.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Alieberman wrote:
I agree that getting a new coach is a risk... but unless we are seriously competing for Final 4's aren't we already irrelevant?

This is Arizona... we should be optimistic almost every year here.
If we make the tournament then in my opinion we arent irrelevant because anyone can get hot for four games and has a shot at the final four. I live pretty close to Rutgers and I've had ticket plans in the past few years mainly to see other Big 10 teams. They havent made the tournament since 1991. This is what I call irrelevant.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

I'll also add this....

it's the fans that drive AZ.

When Lute Olson said- we made this a basketball town, it was a pretty profound statement.

The fans push this program. The players want to play in a packed McKale. We are the lifeblood of this program.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
We're not discussing replacing the leader of the program between 2009 and 2015. We're discussing replacing the leader of the program from 2016 to present. Their programs are completely different.
I'm just saying it could be much worse.

It could also be better but this board would explode if we would miss the tournament for five years in a row.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The reason I'm not buying this argument is because (a) our recruiting will be strong under just about any coach and (b) it's fair to ask if our E8 runs were more a product of Miller's system or the unbelievable collection of talent we had in those years.

If Miller's system is engineered to produce FFs, why hasn't he gotten there, especially given the list of NBA players he's had? Also, Miller seemed to be connecting with his players more in the past. Think of Parrom, TJ, D-Will, Kadeem...these guys loved Miller. I'm not seeing that same closeness with his players these days.