Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NickyBCats

Re: Sean Miller

Post by NickyBCats »

There’s only one booster in Hoops that matters and Sean has hus full support.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thats too bad.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well for me I hope we resign him. He is a top flight coach in all aspects IMO. Not sure who that single booster is but I had heard he is well supported by the overall group very well
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:25 pm Not sure who that single booster is but I had heard he is well supported by the overall group very well
Think it's the Davises.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... fe330.html
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

While I don't think we should keep Miller, I don't want to replace him as long as Robbins is in charge. I don't trust that man to make a good basketball hire. (Or any hire, really.)

So I hope Miller gets a few years added to his contract, and hopefully Robbins will be gone by then so we can then start looking at potential candidates.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 am Sean Miller has (I believe) one year on his contract remaining. There has been no extension (for obvious reasons). Arizona is taking a 1-year post-season ban in hopes that will be the extent of its major penalties. So what's next for retaining or parting ways with Miller? Does the school wait until the arbitration is settled and then decide to extend Miller or part ways?

Without a contract extension, recruiting becomes more difficult. However, further NCAA penalties would set the program back further. Would any new information about Miller's actions surface that isn't already known to the university?

Is Miller still supported by the boosters that matter? Clearly, brining Jason Terry on board didn't hurt. Do the boosters support bringing Sean back?
It’s still early, but I think it’s very likely he gets an extension of some sort after this season.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Getting rid of Miller, all things considered, would be an idiotic move.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:26 pm
zonagrad wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 am Sean Miller has (I believe) one year on his contract remaining. There has been no extension (for obvious reasons). Arizona is taking a 1-year post-season ban in hopes that will be the extent of its major penalties. So what's next for retaining or parting ways with Miller? Does the school wait until the arbitration is settled and then decide to extend Miller or part ways?

Without a contract extension, recruiting becomes more difficult. However, further NCAA penalties would set the program back further. Would any new information about Miller's actions surface that isn't already known to the university?

Is Miller still supported by the boosters that matter? Clearly, brining Jason Terry on board didn't hurt. Do the boosters support bringing Sean back?
It’s still early, but I think it’s very likely he gets an extension of some sort after this season.
I can't understand why we wouldn't. Self sanctioning with no direct Miller penalty (or apparent jeopardy to his job) seems like a positive on the NCAA front.

In terms of the team, we can't hold lack of tourney success against him any more. Early returns with a young, developmental roster seem to be good and the foundation seems solid going forwards.

Unless he wants out (and even then, I'd be suprised if someone hired him away prior to the NCAA thing going final) I struggle for reasons to let him go. Of course, if we let him go, we could just let Jedd Fisch coach basketball too.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Need to keep Sean around until we have enough money to pay for Jedd's buyout.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I 100% want Miller to stay. 5 year extension.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:50 am I 100% want Miller to stay. 5 year extension.
I endorse
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I believe I read that in the last decade Arizona has 10 more wins then any other PAC 12 team (start of this year). You can guess my vote. Regardless of that stat the team has had a cloud over it for going on 4 years and has held up. It isn't where we want it and this years team is young and will disappoint us but they work hard and I'm proud that none have had COVID that interrupted the schedule.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The way the current team is built just seems like the type of team Miller can thrive with.

Give him that 5 year extension
AztoCa

Post by AztoCa »

Miller has tried to leave this program twice since the scandal
-Nobody wanted him ( Is he Arizona Good? )

Miller also tried to leave for Maryland after his second year at Arizona ( they offered him less money then he makes at AZ )
-I think the market place is trying to tell us something

Miller was going to be fired last year if he lost in the first round again ( bailed out by Covid )

Miller would have been fired this year if he lost in the first round again ( Bailed out by his own Scandal )

We should not sign Miller to any long contract ( he will be fired or leave soon )

Please ask around to those that have had the unfortunate experience to have interacted with this coach and you will find he is very unpleasant and his “bad luck” is well earned

Time to move on he is already grinding the program into the ground with his negative energy ( not a Champion )

Jason Terry is a Lute level Person and has Championship experience at every level ( immensely positive )
-Even when JT was in college he had his head on straight unlike Miles and Bibby

Time to move Up and onward( not sideways or down)
may the Bear Be Down! :D
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AztoCa wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:31 pm
Miller also tried to leave for Maryland after his second year at Arizona ( they offered him less money then he makes at AZ )
I prefer the story that Miller was turned off by the Maryland AD eating a greasy sloppy hamburger.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:43 pm
I prefer the story that Miller was turned off by the Maryland AD eating a greasy sloppy hamburger.
It was the classic story of the lure of grass vs the turnoff of a burger.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Machina dat you?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Was that before or after he took money from an agent and we forfeited games because he had his head screwed on straight?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jason Terry's burner account is wildin'...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:27 pm
Was that before or after he took money from an agent and we forfeited games because he had his head screwed on straight?
Just because there's an NCAA rule against it, that doesn't make it wrong.
prh

Post by prh »

:lol: at thinking Miller would be fired for a first round loss last year after not being fired for the NCAA stuff

Road sweeps in the last decade (excluding this year, where we already have 1)

16 Arizona
11 Oregon
6 Cal/Utah
5 UW/UCLA
3 USC
2 Stan/Rado
1 everybody else including asu

This conference is uniquely difficult in how it is geographically structured and scheduled, and a road sweep is an interesting display of toughness, preparation, and team willpower.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I never understand the people on here who argue Miller sucks and Altman has passed him by. Arizona has great advantages as a program, but Oregon's no slouch with Nike money.

Miller's outperformed Altman in virtually every metric in basically the same tenure. Conference performance, tourney wins, Miller objectively does pretty well.

Altman's two big things are one Final Four appearance and that he's been better in the two years since the FBI investigation kicked our ass. Really, everything else favors Miller and Arizona.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

That's a great stat on road sweeps. I can't find the home wins stats but you add those together and its pretty glaring how successful Miller has been compared to the field.

Personally its the resiliency he's shown over these last two years that have impressed me the most. Last year's team was a recruiting success that can't be understated - we were dead in the water without that class. And then to replace them all with a solid group while pivoting to a different recruiting model (more international, less OAD, more playmaking and shooting)... Miller has no quit. Sign the extension.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 am That's a great stat on road sweeps. I can't find the home wins stats but you add those together and its pretty glaring how successful Miller has been compared to the field.

Personally its the resiliency he's shown over these last two years that have impressed me the most. Last year's team was a recruiting success that can't be understated - we were dead in the water without that class. And then to replace them all with a solid group while pivoting to a different recruiting model (more international, less OAD, more playmaking and shooting)... Miller has no quit. Sign the extension.
X1000000
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:27 pm
People don't remember or perhaps didn't realize that assistant coach Jim Rosborough was contacted by Terry's mom about the agent and Roz thought it was hogwash. Roz received a formal reprimand from the university for his actions. It was the reason why Terry's jersey wasn't retired in the rafters at McKale.

How do you think that scenario would have played out had that "agent" been caught in criminal activity while also dealing with an eligible Arizona player and then the NCAA seeing that an Arizona assistant coach had knowledge of the "agent" and his actions? See some similarities with the Christian Dawkins/Book Richardson situation? Would some consider this lack of institutional control by Lute? You could certainly spin it that way, couldn't you?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

AztoCa wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:31 pm Miller has tried to leave this program twice since the scandal

Miller was going to be fired last year if he lost in the first round again ( bailed out by Covid )

Miller would have been fired this year if he lost in the first round again ( Bailed out by his own Scandal )

We should not sign Miller to any long contract ( he will be fired or leave soon )

Please ask around to those that have had the unfortunate experience to have interacted with this coach and you will find he is very unpleasant and his “bad luck” is well earned

Time to move on he is already grinding the program into the ground with his negative energy ( not a Champion )

Jason Terry is a Lute level Person and has Championship experience at every level ( immensely positive )

God I hate people that just make shit up. JT had his head screwed on right? Not according to him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:20 pm
AztoCa wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:31 pm Miller has tried to leave this program twice since the scandal

God I hate people that just make shit up. JT had his head screwed on right? Not according to him.
Uh, Maryland wanting Miller is a compliment to him. He hasn't gotten as many sniffs lately for fairly obvious reasons like the FBI and NCAA investigation.

This same reasoning also applies to the market value of the Arizona job while we face the FBI and NCAA.

As for firing him in the wake of the decimation the FBI and ESPN gave us, people wanting to do dumb stuff isn't justification for doing dumb stuff.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Fire Miller :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:09 pm Fire Miller :lol:
I think you're joking, but I'm sure people will seriously say this.

The story of the game is SC shooting 58% and 57% from 3 and Baker/Akinjo combining for 1 of 15 shooting. Ain't coming back from that.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Baker had some good looks and could not hit them.
Maybe his ankle is still bothering him.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:12 pm Baker had some good looks and could not hit them.
Maybe his ankle is still bothering him.
Really? I thought SC closed out on him well throughout the game.
And with SC’s length it was tough for our outside shooters to get open looks for the most part.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:15 pm

The story of the game is SC shooting 58% and 57% from 3 and Baker/Akinjo combining for 1 of 15 shooting. Ain't coming back from that.
Yeah that was the joke - one tough game and I'm sure the chicken littles will come around chirping.

I'll have to check the other thread and see if we got a Clip breakdown... interesting game, tough to see our guards shoot so poorly against their length. I thought we did a darn good job getting into the paint but just could capitalize on it beyond the interior passes to our bigs. Should be a lot of good tape to review.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

We missed a lot of chippies. Can't afford that when your opponent is shooting close to 60%.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:47 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:15 pm

Yeah that was the joke - one tough game and I'm sure the chicken littles will come around chirping.

I'll have to check the other thread and see if we got a Clip breakdown... interesting game, tough to see our guards shoot so poorly against their length. I thought we did a darn good job getting into the paint but just could capitalize on it beyond the interior passes to our bigs. Should be a lot of good tape to review.
I didn't record it, but my takeaway was that their length gave Akinjo and Baker more problems in penetration and midrange than they did from 3.

Most of their outside looks...they weren't incredible, but they weren't bad. Where they suffered was getting jammed up 10-12 feet from the rim. It wasn't just our perimeter starters being 2-19 combined, it's also that they only had 2 total freethrows.

A cardinal rule of penetration for me is it has to do one of four things or you shouldn't be doing it.

1. Get a shot.
2. Draw a foul.
3. Create a pass to an open shooter.
4. Make the D scramble into recovery.

Baker and Akinjo were getting to 10 feet, but then just getting smothered by length without any of those things happening. That's the part of their D I felt like we really didn't solve.

The #1 problem was that they took advantage of our D all night. Some of it was them being hot, but a lot was just us breaking down. Miller said in the press conference that their offensive approach was straightforward, and I agree. We just never forced them out of what they wanted to do.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:06 pm I didn't record it, but my takeaway was that their length gave Akinjo and Baker more problems in penetration and midrange than they did from 3.

Most of their outside looks...they weren't incredible, but they weren't bad. Where they suffered was getting jammed up 10-12 feet from the rim. It wasn't just our perimeter starters being 2-19 combined, it's also that they only had 2 total freethrows.

A cardinal rule of penetration for me is it has to do one of four things or you shouldn't be doing it.

1. Get a shot.
2. Draw a foul.
3. Create a pass to an open shooter.
4. Make the D scramble into recovery.

Baker and Akinjo were getting to 10 feet, but then just getting smothered by length without any of those things happening. That's the part of their D I felt like we really didn't solve.

The #1 problem was that they took advantage of our D all night. Some of it was them being hot, but a lot was just us breaking down. Miller said in the press conference that their offensive approach was straightforward, and I agree. We just never forced them out of what they wanted to do.
Agreed agreed agreed. My whole hope heading in was that our guys, being smaller but being good guards, could achieve 1-4 above. Was very frustrating that we couldn't pick up fouls on the way to the rim.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Even when Akinjo or Baker drover, and threw up crap, the other guard didn't get back on defense and USC had open fast break looks multiple times.

Basketball 101, if one guard drives towards the basket, the other guard needs to stay on top of the key to stop any fast breaks. At least twice USC was open for a wide open 3 after a missed UA shot. 5 point turnaround each time.

Not that Baker is a good defender, and Akinjo got beat several times.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Before this gets buried on page 2 ------------------------------- This year, maybe more than any other, Miller has shown that he definitely can coach.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:51 pm The way the current team is built just seems like the type of team Miller can thrive with.

Give him that 5 year extension
yes! now and again the next several seasons
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:33 pm Before this gets buried on page 2 ------------------------------- This year, maybe more than any other, Miller has shown that he definitely can coach.
I know I'm in the Miller fanboy club on this board, but yes.

First, we got declared ineligible for tourney play and it's clear everyone is still bought in. That's no small feat. The team is still playing hard and improving.

Second, Covid hasn't exactly provided an easy offseason and simple development schedule. When you're replacing 100% of your Day 1 starters from the prior year, that hurts.

Next, this team isn't without challenges. A lot of new parts plus some guys who aren't extremely versatile can be challenging. We still have a top 20 offense nationally.

Look at how teams like Kentucky and Duke have struggled. Or ASU (lol). The FBI forced a rebuild on us, but this is just another reminder of what Miller can do.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Probably as encouraging to me is COVID free.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

No techs for him this season? We need at least 1...
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Interesting that Boston College fired their coach today -- mid-season. If you're Sean Miller, do you make an inquiry about the position, especially not knowing if you're getting a contract extension? Obviously it's not even close of a lateral move -- but it does provide ample job security and Miller has proven himself a very capable coach.
More similar positions are likely to open up in the next several weeks. Is Arizona considering parting ways with Miller? If not, they need to get an extension so Miller doesn't bolt.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 am Interesting that Boston College fired their coach today -- mid-season. If you're Sean Miller, do you make an inquiry about the position, especially not knowing if you're getting a contract extension? Obviously it's not even close of a lateral move -- but it does provide ample job security and Miller has proven himself a very capable coach.
More similar positions are likely to open up in the next several weeks. Is Arizona considering parting ways with Miller? If not, they need to get an extension so Miller doesn't bolt.
I have a hard time seeing any other school offering Miller with the IARP pending. It's just such an unknown.

I don't think it will happen, but a school has to worry they'd be bringing in a guy who potentially could catch a show cause penalty before he completes a single year.

The concern would have to be too that if Miller leaves Arizona, Arizona could also now 100% use him as a fall guy with the IARP. There's not much stopping us from arguing our self-imposed penalties are sufficient and any additional penalties should be assessed directly to Miller at BC if he leaves.

That's the weird dynamic of the FBI/NCAA/IARP. Both Miller and Arizona have any incentive for a split significantly cut by the impact of the process. If we tried for a new coach, potential impending sanctions would play a role. If Miller tried to leave, his potential personal sanctions would play a role.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

If the IARP penalties are significantly stricter than what has already been self-imposed, including a show-cause on Miller and/or significant suspension, then yes, it will be time to part ways. But if the penalties don't include anything additionally significant, then we have no reason to fire Miller. The only thing lacking from Miller's resume are Final Fours and a National Championship. Miller has proven capable of taking Arizona to the promised land with three Elite 8s. It's just some poor bounces and bad luck Miller didn't break through. But again, assuming no further penalties, we'll be back competing for top tournament seeds, perhaps as early as next year.

Judging coaches just on NCAA Tournament success is harsh, and if you were around Tucson in the early 90's, many were upset with Lute for the multiple first-round flameouts. And before winning back-to-back championships, there were Florida fans upset with Donovan, because between 2001 and 2005, Florida never made it past the first weekend. And on paper, the 05-06 Gators weren't supposed to be as good as the 04-05 team.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There is really no reason why we shouldn’t give CSM a two year extension right now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:50 pm There is really no reason why we shouldn’t give CSM a two year extension right now.
Absolutely!!!!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:44 pm Judging coaches just on NCAA Tournament success is harsh, and if you were around Tucson in the early 90's, many were upset with Lute for the multiple first-round flameouts. And before winning back-to-back championships, there were Florida fans upset with Donovan, because between 2001 and 2005, Florida never made it past the first weekend. And on paper, the 05-06 Gators weren't supposed to be as good as the 04-05 team.
Mark Few, Tony Bennett and Jay Wright were similarly judged as tourney choke artists. There are a lot of coaches who are until they break through.

Our decline in fortunes directly coincides with the FBI investigation. I would like to extend Miller to give him a chance to show with roster stability and the IARP hopefully finishing with no additional punishment, he can return to the place we were pre-FBI and our luck can change to get past the Elite Eight.

I'd be down with 2-3 years, as I think we'll get a solid handle on whether Miller can return to pre-FBI levels in that time, hopefully sooner.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am down for an extension as I think he has done a great job with the roster and the team this year.

I do wonder if he was extended and only offered for a two or three year period, if he would accept. I know his choices would be limited but I still wonder.

Probably going to lose twice this week so the noose is tightened a bit
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Since the the UA has to pay Sumlin $7.5M I imagine an extension is in order just for that reason.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:06 pm Since the the UA has to pay Sumlin $7.5M I imagine an extension is in order just for that reason.
With just one year left on his contract you don't really need a payoff. You're coaching for your job in the last year; show us something. Or keep losing to Oregon State at home. Either way.