Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TucsonClip

Re: Sean Miller

Post by TucsonClip »

If our expectations are a top 15 team next year, we have a lot of guys who need to improve quite a bit, barring any immediate impacts from the freshman class.

Not saying that can't happen, but I don't think it's even penciled in, let alone inked.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I still don't think the timing is right to axe Miller. Bottom line, AZ needs to get to a position of finality with the NCAA mess before making a move.

Its fair to speculate, however, on how much of Millers success, both at Xavier and AZ was due to assistants such as Mack/Archie Miller and $Book$

Miller has had excellent results as the AZ head coach, but how much of that was simply dominating the conference in recruiting?. it doesn't take too much coaching to beat Colorado when you have the Aaron Gordons of the world playing for you. The question I have, is Miller capable of dominating the conference in recruiting again once the NCAA issues fade?? My guess is no. Cronin/Enfield appear to have locked up Southern California. Altman is getting the better players out of the northwest. And then there is the question of how did Miller recruit so successfully in the past decade. Was it hard work or just a simple case of $$$$$?. Even if Miller/Book didn't make direct payouts its difficult to believe that they didn't coordinate their recruiting efforts with Agents/Shoe companies. And if thats the case can Miller replicate his past recruiting success without the $$$ to grease his way??? I have to imagine that if you are an agent or Nike rep. Sean Miller would be the last person you would want to speak to over the phone right now. Miller has to be the most radioactive coach in the NCAA at the moment. For these reasons I personally don't see AZ returning to the mid 2000's level of recruiting success under Miller. And the issue (recruiting) appears to only be getting worse in the short term. Here's some recruit rankings for next years class (top 150 players) for some PAC 12 schools.

AZ player rankings: 80,99

UCLA 10, 45
Oregon 16
USC 52
Colorado 58
UW 67
Stanford 12,44

We are falling behind Colorado/UW and Stanford.........not a good sign.

Having made these points I still think its not the appropriate time to part ways with Miller. We need to keep him around until the Fog of the NCAA/IARP clears. If Miller has committed a violation we are not aware of (or we get clobbered by the IARP) then we should part ways with SM and make a clean break. Sacrificing Miller might also make some Brownie points with the NCAA/IARP when it comes to sanctions.

I do support a 1 year extension (if only to aid in recruiting). I would have a stipulation in the contract that the UA can terminate him if the IARP levels multi-year sanctions or finds that Miller has personally committed an NCAA violation (that provision could be kept confidential to avoid affecting his ability to recruit).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What a depressing thread.

Think I need to step away from this mess for a while. Feeling more and more indifferent about this program. Never thought I’d say that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cats couldn't beat UCLA or Oregon with 3 NBA draft picks last season either.

I don't have any hope of any future S16s or PAC championships. Just 20-12 teams with the wins stacked by a bunch of OOC cupcakes.

However, after the Sumlin debacle and paying him $7.5M during the pandemic and huge budget cuts, don't see how the UA can get rid of him. So sure, give him an extension.

The program has really lost the Lute glow, and it seems the program will no longer be elite.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 pm It’s time guys. This is a pointless endeavor to continue this marriage.

Choo, if you we ultimately do part ways with Miller is there any clue what caliber of coach we’d be able to pull? I feel if you make the move on Miller or mutually agree to part ways you better have a good idea that you can make a great hire.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NickyBCats wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:13 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 pm It’s time guys. This is a pointless endeavor to continue this marriage.

Choo, if you we ultimately do part ways with Miller is there any clue what caliber of coach we’d be able to pull? I feel if you make the move on Miller or mutually agree to part ways you better have a good idea that you can make a great hire.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:15 am

How is Penny Hardaway working out for Memphis?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:21 am How is Penny Hardaway working out for Memphis?

22-14
21-10
12-6

Seems OK to me.

Pastner went
18-14
19-5
his last 2 seasons there.

Cats are not going to get Steve Kerr.

Terry is here, doesn't need the money, and loves the UA.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

And Pastner was and is an awful coach, those records Penny has put up are not very good in a not very deep conference. I love JET, but I would take a lot of guys before him at this point.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:51 am And Pastner was and is an awful coach, those records Penny has put up are not very good in a not very deep conference. I love JET, but I would take a lot of guys before him at this point.
So would I, just that the UA AD is in a huge budget deficit situation with the pandemic, and paying $7.5M to Sumlin, along with whatever buyout Miller has left.

Unless some huge donor steps up, I have no idea where the UA can come up with $3-$4M to hire an elite coach.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Makes sense, I am working under the belief that if the basketball program needs money they will be able to find willing donors (which very likely could be misguided).
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

can't imagine it would be great at this point in time? I would be stunned if anyone in the Nate Oats/Chris Beard/Scott Drew/Chris Holtmann tier would leave their situations right now. Would have to imagine either a caretaker hire for a few years (ala Beilein), or some up-and-comer that would be risky. The bleak coaching market is really the only rational defense of keeping Miller on for next year imo.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:18 am What a depressing thread.

Think I need to step away from this mess for a while. Feeling more and more indifferent about this program. Never thought I’d say that.
You've been a fair weather fan since you have been here. What are you talking about?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:04 am Makes sense, I am working under the belief that if the basketball program needs money they will be able to find willing donors (which very likely could be misguided).
They will lose donors if they get rid of Miller.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Thad matta is not coaching anywhere,

Maybe he could bring aaron craft along as an assistant?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:31 pm
Overreaction to a miserable loss. I think he is the leader in wins in the PAC. Most sweeps and has done a hell of a job recruiting with the NCAA stuff. He is about to beat Lute's record to 300 wins but I will concede against far easier competition. How many freshman are we starting along with Koloko who is/was a huge project. The NCAA stuff has killed any momentum this program had. Question is can we get it back?
That statement has fuck all to do with the one UCLA game.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:35 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:21 am How is Penny Hardaway working out for Memphis?

22-14
21-10
12-6

Seems OK to me.

Pastner went
18-14
19-5
his last 2 seasons there.

Cats are not going to get Steve Kerr.

Terry is here, doesn't need the money, and loves the UA.
Gouge my eyes out before we hire a girls AAU coach as our head coach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Or what? You stomach more years of consecutive losses to medicore UCLA and Oregon teams? You stomach more years of McKale homecourt not being protected? This has been a long marriage with plenty of good times. The good times are long gone. There's no point in continuing this. It isn't going to get better.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I disagree that things can't or won't get better under Miller. Lute Olson once said, last century, the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. This was, of course, before the era of the one-and-done, and before kids played with and against other top prospects just about year round. Under normal circumstances, it's a much different college basketball world.

But we're not under normal circumstances. COVID-19 has turned the world upside down the past 12+ months. And college basketball is not immune. With a lot of off-season canceled, and practices cut, blue-blood programs that rely on to freshmen are struggling. Kansas is looking at a 6 seed, and could be on the bubble if they struggle down the stretch. And this is better than Duke and Kentucky, which are both on the wrong side of the bubble.

So where does this leave us? Assuming little attrition, in a very good spot. Players like Mathurin, Tubelis, Kerisa will be sophomores with experience. And everyone else will be a year older and hopefully better too. Teams like Gonzaga don't have too many one-and-dones, and look how well they play together every year. There's a good chance the 2021-22 Cats will look like this.

It's an old-school way of thinking, and probably not what Miller would prefer. But with the FBI investigation cloud hanging over us, I think Miller did the best he could. And we are set up well for next year.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine Benn dropped a few spots after the UCLA game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

When was the last time our best freshman didn’t go pro?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:49 am When was the last time our best freshman didn’t go pro?
BWill.

Before him, Trier.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:56 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:49 am When was the last time our best freshman didn’t go pro?
BWill.

Before him, Trier.
Which is to say, more often that not, our best freshman has left.

They need to extend Miller soon or quickly announce, once the season has ended, that he won't be continuing as our coach. I expect some news on this front within the next few weeks.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:30 pm
BWill.

Before him, Trier.

They need to extend Miller soon or quickly announce, once the season has ended, that he won't be continuing as our coach. I expect some news on this front within the next few weeks.
I mean, they could do neither. And knowing Heeke and Robbins that’s kind of what I expect.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

BWill.

Before him, Trier.

I think there is near Zero chance that they will say he won't be continuing as the head coach.......they would have to fire him as his contract extends through the 21-22 season. Given the UA's financial situation I can't see that. I expect that he will either be extended 1 year or the UA administration will say nothing and leave him flapping in the breeze.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:00 pm
BWill.

Before him, Trier.

I think there is near Zero chance that they will say he won't be continuing as the head coach.......they would have to fire him as his contract extends through the 21-22 season. Given the UA's financial situation I can't see that. I expect that he will either be extended 1 year or the UA administration will say nothing and leave him flapping in the breeze.
A one year extension would be bad for the program, imo. It sends the message that administration is ambivalent about Miller.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:05 pm
dmjcat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:00 pm
BWill.

Before him, Trier.

A one year extension would be bad for the program, imo. It sends the message that administration is ambivalent about Miller.
I suspect that Heeke/Robbins are very ambivalent about Miller. He has driven the program onto the rocks, has the school facing multiple Level 1 violations with potential multi-year sanctions, and isn't putting a particularly good product on the floor at the present time.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:08 pm I suspect that Heeke/Robbins are very ambivalent about Miller. He has driven the program onto the rocks, has the school facing multiple Level 1 violations with potential multi-year sanctions, and isn't putting a particularly good product on the floor at the present time.
Then it's time for Sean to go. And I don't like the idea of keeping him another season while the IARP process plays out.

Hire Terry as interim coach. He already has relationships with these players and would have better success keeping the roster in tact than a brand new coach.

I'm just having a harder time envisioning a future for Miller at AZ. Let's say he stays and we're better next season, but not like dramatically better, just better. Maybe we finish top 3 in the Pac and reach the S-16. Then we lose Mathurin, Tubelis and Akinjo. Then what? Another rebuild under Miller?

AZ can be better than this, guys.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Please stop with the Terry talk. This is becoming a parody of a freak out.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:17 pm
dmjcat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:08 pm I suspect that Heeke/Robbins are very ambivalent about Miller. He has driven the program onto the rocks, has the school facing multiple Level 1 violations with potential multi-year sanctions, and isn't putting a particularly good product on the floor at the present time.
Then it's time for Sean to go. And I don't like the idea of keeping him another season while the IARP process plays out.

Hire Terry as interim coach. He already has relationships with these players and would have better success keeping the roster in tact than a brand new coach.

I'm just having a harder time envisioning a future for Miller at AZ. Let's say he stays and we're better next season, but not like dramatically better, just better. Maybe we finish top 3 in the Pac and reach the S-16. Then we lose Mathurin, Tubelis and Akinjo. Then what? Another rebuild under Miller?

AZ can be better than this, guys.
Three issues with whacking SM now:

1) The UA has to fork over the money remaining on his contract
2) We won't have the option of whacking him (for NCAA brownie points) in the event that something bad comes out
of the IARP trial that the UA was not previously aware of
3) Now is not the optimum time for a head coaching change. It will be hard to find a replacement who isn't going to
know what he is going to be facing (think multiple year NCAA sanctions). Better to find a head coach after the smoke clears
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:27 pm Please stop with the Terry talk. This is becoming a parody of a freak out.
I like Terry and think he'll be a fine HC eventually. Maybe it's too early.

And Chi, like everyone else, I'm just looking for our pathway back to greatness. This season, while also disappointing, doesn't come close to last year when we had that (supposedly) stellar freshman class. I'm impressed by the patience many are showing towards Miller, and I hope that he can turn things around.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:24 pm
Overreaction to a miserable loss. I think he is the leader in wins in the PAC. Most sweeps and has done a hell of a job recruiting with the NCAA stuff. He is about to beat Lute's record to 300 wins but I will concede against far easier competition. How many freshman are we starting along with Koloko who is/was a huge project. The NCAA stuff has killed any momentum this program had. Question is can we get it back?
Okay....then why didn't you say it after Oregon? Bad three year stretch which if you remember corresponds to the FBI/ESPN time. If you can't see potential in this team then we just disagree. So the number of championships or other things don't count. Okay......watch Scott Drew after this season and tell me his first 10 years should not count but Millers last 3 should.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Congrats Coach!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:18 pm
Chicat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:27 pm Please stop with the Terry talk. This is becoming a parody of a freak out.

And Chi, like everyone else, I'm just looking for our pathway back to greatness. This season, while also disappointing, doesn't come close to last year when we had that (supposedly) stellar freshman class. I'm impressed by the patience many are showing towards Miller, and I hope that he can turn things around.
Well when you are the third fastest in history to 300 wins (ahead of Wooden) you might want to hold on to that guy and give him a chance to pull out of this. Terry as H?C would be the biggest disaster ever. Plus you are talking about a NCAA player who took money from an agent...
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Chicat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:15 pm Congrats Coach!
Looking forward to his next 300.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
97cats

Post by 97cats »

big win for Miller to nab 300 against first place & 17th ranked USC tonight - five conf road wins is a bright spot.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:35 pm

Well when you are the third fastest in history to 300 wins (ahead of Wooden) you might want to hold on to that guy and give him a chance to pull out of this. Terry as H?C would be the biggest disaster ever. Plus you are talking about a NCAA player who took money from an agent...
1. Considerably weak non-conference schedule year in year out.
2. Considerably weak conference year in year out. By all means stick by him though. I’m sure it’ll get you far.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:35 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:24 pm
Okay....then why didn't you say it after Oregon? Bad three year stretch which if you remember corresponds to the FBI/ESPN time. If you can't see potential in this team then we just disagree. So the number of championships or other things don't count. Okay......watch Scott Drew after this season and tell me his first 10 years should not count but Millers last 3 should.
I haven’t been around as much? Sorry?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Amen. I can barely stomach the Stoudamire talk, but at least he’s been involved in college coaching for more than one year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

How many years of coaching experience did Juwan Howard have before getting the UofM job?

Seems to be working out pretty well.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:58 pm How many years of coaching experience did Juwan Howard have before getting the UofM job?

He was a NBA assistant for 6 years before Michigan hired him.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:30 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:58 pm How many years of coaching experience did Juwan Howard have before getting the UofM job?

He was a NBA assistant for 6 years before Michigan hired him.
Miles Simon has had a similar amount of experience. Damon's already been a HC. Luke Walton's got more coaching experience than all of these guys.

Terry has the last experience; it's true.

Still, it's kinda crazy how quickly Howard has Michigan in the top 5. I think hiring a popular, successful alum, with an adequate level of coaching experience, can work out pretty well. Penny Hardaway's not having the kind of success Howard is, but Memphis has a very good class coming in next season. Jury is still out. By the way, Matt Painter played at Purdue. Anthony Grant played at Dayton (they were 29-2 last year). It's always a little dicey to hire a guy with minimal experience, but these alum hires have proven successful at multiple programs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Matt Painter was an assistant and head coach for over a decade before getting the Purdue job. Anthony Grant had 20+ years of coaching experience before getting the Dayton job, including ten as an assistant under Billy Donovan. He was also fired at Alabama and took a step back at Dayton.

It's not that Terry has the "least" experience. It's that he has hardly any experience at all. I get it that he's got a pretty infectious personality but dear lord, are we talking about how to turn around our basketball program or are we talking about who should MC the next program awards banquet?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Juwan has been a team oriented guy since he was a teenager, he was arguably the glue guy of the fab five, he is at least 50% responsible for that recruiting job, while weber was the talent he came with the highs and lows that sometimes accompanies that, jalen rose was the mouth, and still is.

Juwan will be a great coach, there was no doubt in my mind he would work out.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:46 pm
TheCat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:35 pm

1. Considerably weak non-conference schedule year in year out.
2. Considerably weak conference year in year out. By all means stick by him though. I’m sure it’ll get you far.
I agree he does not schedule tough non conference games and I would like that to change. I guess you don't like Few because he is in a considerably weaker conference and will remain so. I will stick with him because of his results just like when folks called for Lute's head after first round losses. He has adapted and brought in a completely new recruiting philosophy. Who here projected the Arizona would lead the conference in scoring? Have you not seen a transfer to a more up tempo, fast break oriented team? Choo you are much too negative about the change in this team. The last 3 years have disappointed us all but if you give Scott Drew any props you are inconsistent with your grading system.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Firing Sean Miller is exactly what the NCAA and ESPN want.

It sends entirely the wrong message, especially right now: Apply enough pressure, and the lack of culpatory evidence won't matter.

The annual late-season weardown concerns me too, but he deserves at least two more years to win his way.

Trouble is, the current university admin doesn't have the knowledge or courage to do the right thing by Arizona basketball. Or even the clearly wrong thing. Or anything but the ass-covering thing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:37 am Matt Painter was an assistant and head coach for over a decade before getting the Purdue job. Anthony Grant had 20+ years of coaching experience before getting the Dayton job, including ten as an assistant under Billy Donovan. He was also fired at Alabama and took a step back at Dayton.

It's not that Terry has the "least" experience. It's that he has hardly any experience at all. I get it that he's got a pretty infectious personality but dear lord, are we talking about how to turn around our basketball program or are we talking about who should MC the next program awards banquet?
I can't tell if this directed only at Terry or if this is a more expansive rejection of hiring *any* AZ alum. Terry's a current AZ assistant, albeit a minimally experienced one. He's not the most appealing AZ alum coaching candidate; he's just the only one currently part of our program.

These are good points about Painter and Grant. Fair enough. They put their time in before getting hired back by their alma mater. If that's the standard we're going to follow, then that limits our possibilities considerably. Kerr? Walton? Pastner? I'm not sure any of these guys would be a realistic candidate.

So that means we'd be looking beyond the AZ family tree, which is how Sean got here in the first place. If there's a coach with Miller's resume circa '09 available, you obviously give him a call.

But the more prevailing opinion, I'm noticing, is that Miller needs to stay put. If that's what gives us the best chance to contend over the next 2-3 seasons, I'm all for it.