Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

IndianaZonaFan

Re: Sean Miller

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 pm
Chicat wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:37 am Matt Painter was an assistant and head coach for over a decade before getting the Purdue job. Anthony Grant had 20+ years of coaching experience before getting the Dayton job, including ten as an assistant under Billy Donovan. He was also fired at Alabama and took a step back at Dayton.

It's not that Terry has the "least" experience. It's that he has hardly any experience at all. I get it that he's got a pretty infectious personality but dear lord, are we talking about how to turn around our basketball program or are we talking about who should MC the next program awards banquet?
I can't tell if this directed only at Terry or if this is a more expansive rejection of hiring *any* AZ alum. Terry's a current AZ assistant, albeit a minimally experienced one. He's not the most appealing AZ alum coaching candidate; he's just the only one currently part of our program.

These are good points about Painter and Grant. Fair enough. They put their time in before getting hired back by their alma mater. If that's the standard we're going to follow, then that limits our possibilities considerably. Kerr? Walton? Pastner? I'm not sure any of these guys would be a realistic candidate.

So that means we'd be looking beyond the AZ family tree, which is how Sean got here in the first place. If there's a coach with Miller's resume circa '09 available, you obviously give him a call.

But the more prevailing opinion, I'm noticing, is that Miller needs to stay put. If that's what gives us the best chance to contend over the next 2-3 seasons, I'm all for it.
Given the tournament being a crapshoot...and me being a heavy Miller supporter...

I say we give Miller 3 years. If we aren’t a 5 seed or better and getting to S16/E8 then we move on. I say S16 because that gets you past the first 2 rounds and then anything can happen. But if we lose in the S16..then it better not be a blowout. I can live with a competitive loss in that round as long as it’s to a good team. We can’t be a 4 seed or better and lose to Buffalo or a 12 seed.

We also need better scheduling. Pre-covid we would have had Gonzaga and Illinois this year, so I’m hopeful we get to make these games up and improve the other games as well. I don’t expect big Home and home series because they are rare now compared to when Lute was here. But we need better early tourneys and better competition than Grand Canyon for non-con.

I hope our individual defense can improve next year to the point I want our guards and wings to keep their man in front of them when they have the ball. We need improvement and consistency in this area.

Our Freshmen and Kokoko should improve a lot before next season with a real offseason. I’m excited. I don’t think we should be top10 preseason next year....but 15-20 is about right depending on who leaves/stays.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Arizona has scheduled home & home with Gonzaga & Baylor the last few years. Right now, those are the top two teams in the country, hands down. Arizona is fortunate to be included in the Maui rotation every 4-5 years.

I'd like to see Arizona schedule aggressively in OOC games. But it's a challenge in the Pac 12 because other programs haven't followed suit. It's easy for a program like Gonzaga to schedule up in the OOC because they're guaranteed a cake-walk through the WCC save for a trip to St. Mary's and Provo.

There are no easy road trips in the Pac 12 right now. None. The whole conference needs to get on the same page and schedule tougher OOC.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

But is it that our conference is so tough or just mediocre?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 pm
Chicat wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:37 am Matt Painter was an assistant and head coach for over a decade before getting the Purdue job. Anthony Grant had 20+ years of coaching experience before getting the Dayton job, including ten as an assistant under Billy Donovan. He was also fired at Alabama and took a step back at Dayton.

It's not that Terry has the "least" experience. It's that he has hardly any experience at all. I get it that he's got a pretty infectious personality but dear lord, are we talking about how to turn around our basketball program or are we talking about who should MC the next program awards banquet?
I can't tell if this directed only at Terry or if this is a more expansive rejection of hiring *any* AZ alum. Terry's a current AZ assistant, albeit a minimally experienced one. He's not the most appealing AZ alum coaching candidate; he's just the only one currently part of our program.

These are good points about Painter and Grant. Fair enough. They put their time in before getting hired back by their alma mater. If that's the standard we're going to follow, then that limits our possibilities considerably. Kerr? Walton? Pastner? I'm not sure any of these guys would be a realistic candidate.

So that means we'd be looking beyond the AZ family tree, which is how Sean got here in the first place. If there's a coach with Miller's resume circa '09 available, you obviously give him a call.

But the more prevailing opinion, I'm noticing, is that Miller needs to stay put. If that's what gives us the best chance to contend over the next 2-3 seasons, I'm all for it.
Obviously my issue is with Terry's experience, of which he has next to none. I'm not opposed to hiring a UA alum. That would be idiotic. As would stating that we should ONLY hire a UA alum.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 am But is it that our conference is so tough or just mediocre?
Our conference is not tough, nor mediocre.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:43 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 am But is it that our conference is so tough or just mediocre?
The teams are mediocre, the travel is tough.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Anyone know what this is about? Seems related to Sean although I could be wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SCCats wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:43 am
This has to be one of the weaker years for the Pac in recent memory. Who is the best team? USC? UCLA? Oregon? Those are probably your only "locks" for the tourney right now, followed by Stanford.

The hell happened to Washington? And of course ASU was supposed to be much better.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

This conference has become a joke in both major sports and needs a major turnaround ASAP to still be considered a power conference. It also would help our scheduling if we didn't sit on our hands while all the other major conferences set up intra conference battles (SEC/BIG 12 & Big10/ACC)
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

84Cat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:44 pm Anyone know what this is about? Seems related to Sean although I could be wrong
I think this had to do with a football recruit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:27 pm
84Cat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:44 pm Anyone know what this is about? Seems related to Sean although I could be wrong
I like Scheer, but when he posts things like this on social media it pisses me off to no end.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:39 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:27 pm
I like Scheer, but when he posts things like this on social media it pisses me off to no end.
He got cute about a 3 star FB recruit that has offers from ASU, Kansas & UA?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The longer the AD waits to extend him, the more likely it is that Miller will take the decision out of Heeke's and Robbins' hands.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

My guess there is a handshake agreement between Heeke/Robbins and Miller. If the IARP comes down with additional punishments that are significant, then Miller has to go. If the IARP decision is time served, i.e. no further punishments, Miller signs an extension. Especially after this year. With the Baker injury, we lost all but 2 rotational players from last year, Lee and Koloko, yet we still have a current NET ranking of 43, which is right inbetween Oregon and UCLA, both of whom are tournament teams. Had the ban not been in place, we'd be right there, even with losing an entire starting lineup, losing our best returning guard from injury, not have Kerisa from day 1, and no Batchko. Any way you slice it, that's a fine coaching job, and under regular conditions, more than enough to get Miller an extension. But can you really extend the coach with the IARP decision hanging out there? Unfortunately no.

I'm of the opinion the IARP will let us off with either time served, or an additional wrist slap. This sets us up well for next year with four impressive freshmen that will be better, more experience freshmen in Kerisa, Terry, Mathurin, and Tubelis. Baker will hopefully be back healthy next year, and Akinjo should be a POY candidate, as he'll likely be a conference leader in assists, score in double digits, and be on a winning team. Throw in another year of J. Brown and Koloko, plus a full summer of practice, and that's quite an 8-man rotation without talking about Batchko, any incoming freshmen, of if Lee/T. Brown are allowed and decide to return one more year.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:14 pm My guess there is a handshake agreement between Heeke/Robbins and Miller. If the IARP comes down with additional punishments that are significant, then Miller has to go. If the IARP decision is time served, i.e. no further punishments, Miller signs an extension. Especially after this year. With the Baker injury, we lost all but 2 rotational players from last year, Lee and Koloko, yet we still have a current NET ranking of 43, which is right inbetween Oregon and UCLA, both of whom are tournament teams. Had the ban not been in place, we'd be right there, even with losing an entire starting lineup, losing our best returning guard from injury, not have Kerisa from day 1, and no Batchko. Any way you slice it, that's a fine coaching job, and under regular conditions, more than enough to get Miller an extension. But can you really extend the coach with the IARP decision hanging out there? Unfortunately no.

I'm of the opinion the IARP will let us off with either time served, or an additional wrist slap. This sets us up well for next year with four impressive freshmen that will be better, more experience freshmen in Kerisa, Terry, Mathurin, and Tubelis. Baker will hopefully be back healthy next year, and Akinjo should be a POY candidate, as he'll likely be a conference leader in assists, score in double digits, and be on a winning team. Throw in another year of J. Brown and Koloko, plus a full summer of practice, and that's quite an 8-man rotation without talking about Batchko, any incoming freshmen, of if Lee/T. Brown are allowed and decide to return one more year.
His contract is done at the end of next year. Will the IARP decision be done by then? It sure doesn't seem like it considering we are behind other programs in the queue.

It would be dumb to let Miller coach next year without an extension, but the AD is dumb so I'm starting to think this is the route they will go.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Extend the coach two or three years. The roster has been stabilized. Revenue will begin to flow again next year from McKale attendance. At the end of next season it will be clear if Miller is worth keeping. If next season is a major disappointment and the IARP decision is punitive, you can fire him and pay him the remaining two years.

The alternative is firing him after this season and, (oh boy you saved a few dollars) and now you're rolling the dice on a new hire with players transferring out and the possibility that fans won't respond with strong attendance especially if the rebuild takes long.

To me, this isn't even worth debating. Extending Miller two years solidifies the chances of next year and the year after being very successful seasons.

If you cut Miller loose, we're back to 2009-2010 and hoping and praying the new hire catches fire quickly the way Miller did when he arrived.

Miller has never had a losing season at Arizona. Ever. You can point to the last few years as problematic and there's no denying it. But it's clear that recruiting philosophy has changed.

I'm actually worried that Heeke will screw this up the way he mishandled football -- and Miller will bolt for a lesser position and job security rather than waiting around for Heeke to make up his mind.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Perfectly put zonagrad.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

catgrad97 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:43 am The longer the AD waits to extend him, the more likely it is that Miller will take the decision out of Heeke's and Robbins' hands.
He already has if it is true that they did not consult him on skipping the tourney........I don't believe that but if it is true better have Kelvin Sampson's number handy.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TheCat wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:53 pm
catgrad97 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:43 am The longer the AD waits to extend him, the more likely it is that Miller will take the decision out of Heeke's and Robbins' hands.
He already has if it is true that they did not consult him on skipping the tourney........I don't believe that but if it is true better have Kelvin Sampson's number handy.
Hard pass on Sampson. Next.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Now who would hire Miller being tainted?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Iona, after Pitino gets plucked by some smart AD that wants their basketball team to succeed.

I still want miller to be our coach but if he is not going to, then Beilein > Sampson every day, and not just because they faced off in the ?? elite 8 ?? a few years ago.

That was a crazy good game though.

So excited for March, even though we aren't playing, I mourned not having the tournament last year, and am so excited for next years team.
Last edited by U.P. Zona Fan on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:32 pm Now who would hire Miller being tainted?
He doesn't need to work in year one......get some cushy commentary gig then go back into coaching after the FBI things clear up. I think Miller will be hit with a level one for failing to control his staff and that will cost him a million but not if he doesn't have a contract. My hope is to lock him up long term.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's not a world that exists where Arizona moves on from Sean Miller for NCAA violation issues and hires Kelvin Samspon to replace him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm not sure he has the options that you're implying he does. Maybe after the IARP is done, but not before.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:45 pm Extend the coach two or three years. The roster has been stabilized. Revenue will begin to flow again next year from McKale attendance. At the end of next season it will be clear if Miller is worth keeping. If next season is a major disappointment and the IARP decision is punitive, you can fire him and pay him the remaining two years.

The alternative is firing him after this season and, (oh boy you saved a few dollars) and now you're rolling the dice on a new hire with players transferring out and the possibility that fans won't respond with strong attendance especially if the rebuild takes long.

To me, this isn't even worth debating. Extending Miller two years solidifies the chances of next year and the year after being very successful seasons.

If you cut Miller loose, we're back to 2009-2010 and hoping and praying the new hire catches fire quickly the way Miller did when he arrived.

Miller has never had a losing season at Arizona. Ever. You can point to the last few years as problematic and there's no denying it. But it's clear that recruiting philosophy has changed.

I'm actually worried that Heeke will screw this up the way he mishandled football -- and Miller will bolt for a lesser position and job security rather than waiting around for Heeke to make up his mind.
I'm ok with this, but will the ABOR sign off on it? That's the uphill battle Arizona is facing if that's the decision they're making.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So if Robbins and Heeke want to extend are you saying the ABOR wouldn’t approve that? Not sure I have ever seen that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Has ABOR ever not approve a coach?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is DeConcini still on the ABOR? He really hated the contracts AZ sports coaches were getting, although for the most part they are self funding and don't use state funds for salaries.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:57 pm Is DeConcini still on the ABOR? He really hated the contracts AZ sports coaches were getting, although for the most part they are self funding and don't use state funds for salaries.
https://www.azregents.edu/board-committ ... ony%20Rusk

Karrin Taylor Robson
Ron Shoopman
Lyndel Manson
Bill Ridenour
Ram Krishna
Jay Heiler
Fred DuVal
Lauren L’Ecuyer
Anthony Rusk
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:39 pm
I'm not sure he has the options that you're implying he does. Maybe after the IARP is done, but not before.
You'd be surprised how strong the pull is of not working with stupid, self-interested people anymore like the ones currently ensconcing themselves in the AD. An NBA assistant's job has to look awfully tempting right about now, at least for a year.

Plus, eventually Miller's hands are going to be tied in recruiting, and he's going to say enough. You can't wait for the end of this season for the IARP to be done, because it won't be.

And, without an extension then, Miller will probably make a major move regardless. He's human. None of us can continue to work in conditions where we're presumed daily that we're doing wrong.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:38 pm
There's not a world that exists where Arizona moves on from Sean Miller for NCAA violation issues and hires Kelvin Samspon to replace him.
Arizona is not moving on from Sean Miller. Sean Miller would be moving on from them. Sampson is a good coach and knows recruiting the West. His NCAA troubles are in the rear view mirror and have been for a number of year. Most here could not even recall what his problems were.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:40 pm
zonagrad wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:45 pm Extend the coach two or three years. The roster has been stabilized. Revenue will begin to flow again next year from McKale attendance. At the end of next season it will be clear if Miller is worth keeping. If next season is a major disappointment and the IARP decision is punitive, you can fire him and pay him the remaining two years.

I'm ok with this, but will the ABOR sign off on it? That's the uphill battle Arizona is facing if that's the decision they're making.
Absurd. They sided with Arizona when they said they trusted Robbins to deal with it. ABOR may suggest contract clauses but would NEVER take the responsibility to remove a coach unless there was potential legal liability. There isn't.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Sampson is 66 years old this year. Ugh no. We’re not going to move in a new direction with Kelvin Sampson.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Quite a bit of recruiting activity for a coach without a contract. We've made offers to 13 top 50 kids

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/S ... ll/Offers/

Even a couple 2023 offers to the #2 and #3 recruits

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is Elvis Zeke’s brother?

I like that some of the guards are taller.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Zeke's cousin. We offered him last June. The womens team was recruiting Zeke's sister Maya as well. She's a 6'4" junior avg 24PPG
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:57 pm Is DeConcini still on the ABOR? He really hated the contracts AZ sports coaches were getting, although for the most part they are self funding and don't use state funds for salaries.
If any coaches have bee n overpaid in the last 20 years, it’s certainly not Arizona basketball.

Heck, ASU’s women’s coach was making $400k 15 years ago. And Pat Murphy made a helluva lot of money. And some BOR is gonna lecture us on pay?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:44 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:40 pm

Absurd. They sided with Arizona when they said they trusted Robbins to deal with it. ABOR may suggest contract clauses but would NEVER take the responsibility to remove a coach unless there was potential legal liability. There isn't.
No one said anything about removing Miller. He still has one year on his contract. They may not approve a contract extension, that's the deal.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:36 pm Quite a bit of recruiting activity for a coach without a contract. We've made offers to 13 top 50 kids

Even a couple 2023 offers to the #2 and #3 recruits

You can offer whoever the hell you want and Miller & Co. absolutely needs to in the case that Miller is extended. They're not going to commit to you if the coach recruiting them doesn't have a contract to be at that school the year they're supposed to enroll.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:38 pm
Arizona is not moving on from Sean Miller. Sean Miller would be moving on from them. Sampson is a good coach and knows recruiting the West. His NCAA troubles are in the rear view mirror and have been for a number of year. Most here could not even recall what his problems were.
Where is Sean Miller going to go? Do you think he has options that are on the level of Arizona at the moment?

Sampson is a good coach. He was literally on a show cause FOR FIVE YEARS due to recruiting violations. Arizona, in its situation, where it will be on probation, can not in good conscience hire a coach with that in his background. Full STOP. You're using emotion and not your brain.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Sampson's show of cause was for impermissible calls and he is well past that now. Not half as bad as Bruce Pearl and yet he is coaching and they kiss his ass every chance they get. There is no doubt hiring him would be problematic from an optics point to view. Go look at what he did at Indiana after he was hired.

My hope is we tie up Coach Miller for multiple years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:02 am Sampson's show of cause was for impermissible calls and he is well past that now. Not half as bad as Bruce Pearl and yet he is coaching and they kiss his ass every chance they get. There is no doubt hiring him would be problematic from an optics point to view. Go look at what he did at Indiana after he was hired.

My hope is we tie up Coach Miller for multiple years.
I get your point about Sampson. I'm telling you though he wouldn't be considered and why. That's not my opinion either.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Kelvin "retread" Sampson? Who the f- are we trying to have a serious conversation about here?

I met Sampson at the '01 Final Four. He's a good guy...but that was 20 years ago. He's not a relevant college hoops coach now, much less someone who should even come up as a hypothetical in a conversation (we shouldn't be having right now, IMHO) about who should succeed Sean Miller.

Sometimes I wonder if our fan base wants to turn my alma mater's athletic department into a smoking crater. Repeat decades of mistakes with football...right, that's the way to go with hoops. :roll:
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Kelvin retread and not relevant who has the 4th ranked team in the country? Retread....Oklahoma, Indiana and Houston the last 20+ years. Won at WSU for god sake. Good coach and good recruiter but the optics problem is real. It was also real for Bruce Pearl and I don't think Auburn is regretting that decision. It was real for Pitino and he got a much lessor job but he is a phone call away from a big job. Catgrad97 on this one you are way wrong. He is the most proven of the coaches that we could realistic get.
My hope is lock Miller up long term.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:27 am Kelvin "retread" Sampson? Who the f- are we trying to have a serious conversation about here?

I met Sampson at the '01 Final Four. He's a good guy...but that was 20 years ago. He's not a relevant college hoops coach now, much less someone who should even come up as a hypothetical in a conversation (we shouldn't be having right now, IMHO) about who should succeed Sean Miller.

Sometimes I wonder if our fan base wants to turn my alma mater's athletic department into a smoking crater. Repeat decades of mistakes with football...right, that's the way to go with hoops. :roll:
Ummm you may want to check out how Houston basketball is doing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yep. Sampson has made Houston into a contender, which is no small feat.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

And Mackovic won some big games at Texas. Sumlin had Johnny Football. So what?

It's a not a presidential vote here, guys. Sampson's older than federal retirement age. And we're going to bring him over here based on a resume'?!

Good for Sampson and Houston. They're a good fit. They should stay that way. Students and alumni should not have to pay one red cent more for a 66-year-old coach, no matter what he's done in his glorious past.

It. Doesn't. Work. Not for head coaches. Lute was hired here at 49.

It'd be like saying that if Phil Jackson had ever left Chicago early, Tex Winter would have been the perfect replacement. GTFO with that nonsense.

Extend Miller or import a young, hungry staff from somewhere else. Nobody needs to get it in their heads that what didn't work for football, like, ever, will suddenly work for basketball. It's a suicidally misguided notion.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sampson isn’t happening, so relax.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »