Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Sean Miller

Post by YoDeFoe »

TheCat wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:52 am What really hurts the Arizona and the PAC is the constant narrative that they are a no nothing league. I think this is directly attributable to a lack of an ESPN contract. You don't get talked about, you don't get rated, you don't have quad 1 wins when playing other PAC teams, you don't deserve the tourney. To me they are all related. That is why you hear Arizona singled out and not Kansas. Kansas is on ESPN almost weekly. They don't devalue their investment so they don't talk about Auburn or Kansas other any team they are invested in. Do you think Dickey V would talk about Arizona the way he does if it devalued an asset for his network? What do you hear about Louisville?
Unquestionably true.

ESPN owns the SEC Network and the ACC Network, Fox Sports owns the Big Ten network, and we're holding our dicks wondering why the Pac-12 is trashed by the media.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Arizona and UCLA had nearly identical resumes before Conference Tournaments started. Bubble teams, both. Had Arizona beaten CAL in the opening round of the PAC-12, the winner of the subsequent UCLA/AZ game would have been a tournament lock, as the winner would have had another Q1 win on the resume. The loser would have been a bubble team and hoping a bid stealer like Oregon State didn't win the tournament. And bid stealers didn't win too many other tournaments.

I guess I'm ok if Heeke is waiting until the Ladies are done before extending Miller. Don't want to steal Barnes' and the Lady's thunder. And this group of Arizona Women Basketball players deserve every accolade they receive, and then some.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I don't see how announcing an extension of Sean Miller in the middle of March detracts from the women's team. That's such a pitiful excuse. Announcing an extension is essentially a 1-2 news cycle. That's it. It's the fucking flagship program in the athletic department. It's wonderful the women's team is getting some well deserved attention. But let's not be ignorant as though both programs are on equal ground. One generates $25 million in revenue per year and helps off-set some shitty football moves. The women's program operates at a financial loss. People aren't paying $10,000/year to sit courtside at women's games.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Well done CSM.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Oh just extend his f'ing contract already. This is absurd.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:13 pm
Miller and Barnes have always seemed to have professional respect and admiratiin for each other. Nice to see that.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I just want to add some perspective on Sean's accomplishments at Arizona. I am contrasting this to Mark Few's as he is often called one of the best coaches in college basketball. Mark Few has been in 4 elite 8's since he has been at Gonzaga (20 years). It took him many years to get to his first. Scott Drew would have been fired at Arizona his record is about 20 percentage points lower than Sean's at Arizona. It is clear that Sean has been greatly impacted by the allegations against him that I think he will recover from that. I believe in him.
Let's get him resigned now and give him a chance to recover his name and for Arizona to excel once again.
Last edited by TheCat on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:42 pm I just want to add some perspective on Sean's accomplishments at Arizona. I am contrasting this to Mark Few's as he is often called one of the best coaches in college basketball. Mark Few has been in 4 elite 8's since he has been at Gonzaga (20 years). It took him many years to get to his first. Scott Drew would have been fired at Arizona his record is about 20 percentage points lower than Sean's at Arizona. It is clear that Sean has been greatly impacted by the allegations against him that I think he will recover from. I believe in him.
Let's get him resigned now and give him a chance to recover his name and for Arizona to excel once again.
And also, for all the #1 seeds they've had, this is only their 2nd Final Four. Perennial under achievers in the tournament
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Pretty sure Choo said he will be resigned after the women make their run. You would think in a couple of weeks or so
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:14 pm Pretty sure Choo said he will be resigned after the women make their run. You would think in a couple of weeks or so
Good!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:00 am
azcat49 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:14 pm Pretty sure Choo said he will be resigned after the women make their run. You would think in a couple of weeks or so
Good!
I mean that could change any second with Robbins lol.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:17 am
zonagrad wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:00 am
Good!
I mean that could change any second with Robbins lol.
this womens run is a double edged sword lol
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yea I would imagine if Robbins got support or a candidate he thought the booster would sign off on that he would do an immediate 180.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Would love to see Adia Barnes chime in for Miller and an extension -- now that she has her extension. I realize it's none of her business and that would be unprofessional -- but yet....
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

zonagrad wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:48 pm Would love to see Adia Barnes chime in for Miller and an extension -- now that she has her extension. I realize it's none of her business and that would be unprofessional -- but yet....
i agree, would love to see it.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

My fear is that Robbins is waiting to see if a final 4 candidate would come. The only one I see doing that is Sampson. I don't know if Robbins realizes that Sampson was given a show of cause many years ago.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Jim Livengood always liked Kelvin Sampson. Livengood hired him at Wazzu, and would have hired Sampson again if he could have at Arizona. But nobody was going to replace Lute.

Sampson is a good coach, but in addition to having a previous show cause, he's 65, turning 66 in October. He would be a truly, short-term solution. Leonard Hamilton at Florida State is in his 70s, but most coaches don't last that long. The rigors of the travel, including both game and recruiting, usually catches up as coaches get into their 70s. Lon Kruger, another very good coach that I'm glad ASu never hired, is 68, and just announced his retirement.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Lon retired to help his son at UNLY. LOL
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

prh wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:47 pm
TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:42 pm I just want to add some perspective on Sean's accomplishments at Arizona. I am contrasting this to Mark Few's as he is often called one of the best coaches in college basketball. Mark Few has been in 4 elite 8's since he has been at Gonzaga (20 years). It took him many years to get to his first. Scott Drew would have been fired at Arizona his record is about 20 percentage points lower than Sean's at Arizona. It is clear that Sean has been greatly impacted by the allegations against him that I think he will recover from. I believe in him.
And also, for all the #1 seeds they've had, this is only their 2nd Final Four. Perennial under achievers in the tournament
It's fair to say they were. We were, once...as bad as any following 1988. But we became a March beast, as is Gonzaga.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What Few has done at Gonzaga is absolutely incredible. He’s already a legend, regardless of what happens this weekend.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Agree he is a legend but just pointing out he does not have this unreachable record. I hope they go undefeated.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Welp the job he’d leave us for just opened up....
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Roughly 0 chance UNC hires him currently. If Roy retired 2 years ago sure
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Sarcasm is never lost on ya huh?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

This might be a really excellent reality check. Someone get UNC's coaching hot board names and post them here.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I guess went don’t have to worry about UNC coming after CSM.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Greensboro coach is a name Goetleb put out
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Miller is radioactive at this point.

He's not leaving for another college gig anytime soon. If he did leave it would be for some lower level NBA position.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Radioactive, eh?

It's fun having a radioactive head coach.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am Radioactive, eh?

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:10 am Radioactive, eh?

It's the NCAA investigation. There isn't anything different than any time since September of 2017.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:05 am Welp the job he’d leave us for just opened up....
more Book Richardson collateral damage and fallout that Sean Miller directly inflicted on himself.

in this case, loyalty is a fat fucking bitch.

enjoy that shit burger sandwich today, Coach...cheeseburgers will not be served.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You know what has always intrigued me about Miller is that he is far from a players coach, yet he played at a high level.

I would think he would be more of a players coach, granting freedoms to upperclassman in shot selection or being less of a stern disciplinarian. None of those are bad as a coach but it just seems to me as a former player he would be a bit different in his coaching approach
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So fun game to play today: ask your UNC friend(s) what they think about Sean Miller as their next coach.

I just got a pretty standard “fuck you” back.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:04 am If he did leave it would be for some lower level NBA position.
I can't imagine Miller ever coaching in the NBA. He demands absolute obedience from his players into buying into his system.

Like Larry Brown said, the difference between coaching in the pros and coaching in college is that in college the players still listen to you.

Iverson: Practice?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:55 am You know what has always intrigued me about Miller is that he is far from a players coach, yet he played at a high level.

I would think he would be more of a players coach, granting freedoms to upperclassman in shot selection or being less of a stern disciplinarian. None of those are bad as a coach but it just seems to me as a former player he would be a bit different in his coaching approach
See, I'm not so sure he isn't a player's coach. He isn't a loosey goosey player's coach, but most of his ex-players seem to speak highly of him and have supported him through the FBI issues.

Also, he's definitely a players coach in prioritizing players future goals. He clearly is ok telling a player to leave when it is in their best interests.

I think someone can be a players coach and still be a disciplinarian. TBH, I don't know a ton of players who have seemed to be heavily dissatisfied with Miller. Players will get mad about PT and diminishing roles, but I'm not aware of a ton of guys mad at Miller specifically. Miller's also been good at showing respect for seniors who commit (York, Dusan, etc.).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I was told Miller was radioactive. Pretty sure UNC doesn't need to hire a radioactive coach.

It's gonna be Wes Miller or Hubert Davis. Some of the sexier names -- Few, Wright, Bennett -- aren't going anywhere.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Interesting Spiff. I had a conversation with a local writer who has followed basketball at the UofA for a long time and he really does like Miller’s approach, saying it’s out of date. When I asked him in what area he mentioned the way he treats his players. I really wasn’t in a Position to contradict him but I found that odd so I am glad you said what you did
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:11 am So fun game to play today: ask your UNC friend(s) what they think about Sean Miller as their next coach.

I got a "Wouldn't be the worst thing".

I said, "Even with the NCAA stuff?"

Response: "Seems like nothing. Don't forget, UNC doesn't care what the NCAA thinks."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Lol. As I recall NC waltzed right through their grades scandal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:43 am Interesting Spiff. I had a conversation with a local writer who has followed basketball at the UofA for a long time and he really does like Miller’s approach, saying it’s out of date. When I asked him in what area he mentioned the way he treats his players. I really wasn’t in a Position to contradict him but I found that odd so I am glad you said what you did
I don't claim insider status, but this is what I've heard.

I don't think reporters or viewers like Miller's relationship to players because they see him yelling and aggressive during games.

What I've heard is that that's more a media view and that when it gets to the more personal, off court interactions, Miller does just fine with players. He's just hyper intense during games, and media members or people who don't like yelling judge him only on that.

He's almost the opposite of Lute like that. Lute wasn't as aggressive during games and was generally nicer to media and fans. However, that didn't always translate to players. For instance, guys like Iggy were decidedly not giant fans of Lute's communication skill.

In essence, Miller has a harder public edge, but is better in private with players. While Lute had a great public personality, but could be prickly at times in private with players.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not ripping Lute. No one is perfect and I think a lot of players liked him. He's just a useful comparison point for me in the public/private distinction of coaches and their relationships to players. Kryzyzewski is another. People in the public think he's a saint, but I've heard he's an outright dick to players in private at times. Obviously not totally a bad guy, a lot of players like him, but nothing like his public/press rep.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:48 am
SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:11 am So fun game to play today: ask your UNC friend(s) what they think about Sean Miller as their next coach.

Response: "Seems like nothing. Don't forget, UNC doesn't care what the NCAA thinks."
Oh man then they should come get him. It’d solve some problems for us!!

But alas the ten and twelve man lists I’ve read so far this morning don’t include our radioactive man.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:05 pm

But alas the ten and twelve man lists I’ve read so far this morning don’t include our radioactive man.
SCCats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:30 amplease note that everything SCCats posts on the basketball forum circles back to his abject hatred of everything and anything having to do with Sean Miller.
I don’t hate him.

I hate the results.
Uh huh...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does this make Tucson Chernobyl?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:15 pm

SCCats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:30 amplease note that everything SCCats posts on the basketball forum circles back to his abject hatred of everything and anything having to do with Sean Miller.
I don’t hate him.

I hate the results.
Uh huh...
Yup, still hate the results.

Gonna hate the results next year, too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:19 pm Gonna hate the results next year, too.
That's big of you to admit, but I knew that.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:22 pm
SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:19 pm Gonna hate the results next year, too.
That's big of you to admit, but I knew that.
With all the player action going on, can’t you feel the RPI 35 season next year just coming down the tracks?

I know you can. I can too.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:20 am This might be a really excellent reality check. Someone get UNC's coaching hot board names and post them here.
Not in any specific order...

Hubert Davis
Wes Miller
Jerry Stackhouse
Steve Robinson
Mike Boynton
Porter Moser
Mark Few
Tony Bennett
Billy Donovan
Scott Drew
Chris Holtmann