Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:49 pm
Postmaster wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:32 pm
azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:51 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:46 pm So, how are you guys doing?
Cracking 7.
It’s not the same without the pics
Here you go.

Happy now?
For the love of all that is Holy, I was eating dinner just now when I saw that GIF. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your hair.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:32 pm For the love of all that is Holy, I was eating dinner just now when I saw that GIF. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your hair.
Today's news didn't warrant a game day GIF.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:01 am

Larry Penney is a giant POS that has somehow consistently failed upwards in his career. Every place he’s been was far worse off after upon departure.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Book Richardson moved up to number 1 on my most dispised UA figure list at least.

Ol John Mackovic can settle in at number 2 now!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Whatever you do...do not click back to the first page of this thread.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

BibbysTowelDude wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:18 pm If they hire Lloyd, I'll be adding men's basketball to football. 🥺
UofA has a football team?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah let's just treat big boosters like shit too. What could happen?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
BibbysTowelDude

I read the first page, I want to cry now... it actually makes me want to re read the whole thread.

However, a team was brought up and I have to think that team may have hit the jackpot today. Syracuse.... flipping hate Syracuse!!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

BibbysTowelDude wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:38 pm I read the first page, I want to cry now... it actually makes me want to re read the whole thread.

However, a team was brought up and I have to think that team may have hit the jackpot today. Syracuse.... flipping hate Syracuse!!!
I told you not to.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who is this game Larry Penley and how can I write him to tell him to F off?

Had a chilling thought, Miller rehabs his image and takes the ASSU job and shoved it right down our throat all the way to multiple FF appearances
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

No respect for Robbins. Or Heeke. And especially zero respect for the Tucson media. They treat the administration with such undeserving reference that it's disgusting.

I can't imagine any of this shit playing out the way it has if Lute were still alive and able to weigh in. What a travesty.

I believe it's a reflection on our culture -- where facts no longer matter and people are governed by their feelings. And Miller was just too fucking real for these piece of shit bureaucrats -- Robbins, Heeke, the ABOR, all of them. FUCKING COWARD PIECES OF SHIT!
ekat

Post by ekat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:48 pm
I don’t know why that one makes me so sad. Lots of former and current players have voiced their opinions today but for some reason, Zeke’s statement just makes me feel awful.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Frybry02 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:55 pm The timing of all this is what bothers me the most. It makes no sense. The program just started to look like it was going to be back on track. Now, I fear, we may see even darker years upcoming.

I understand both sides of keeping/firing Miller argument. His actions, or lack of action, lead to the FBI knocking at the university's door. At the same time, I still feel the Schlabach article did more harm to the program than the FBI investigation. Hell, Arizona is still fighting the false narrative. Here is a tweet from today from an Arizona Alum.
What "Ayton thing?" It is amazing how these idiots continue to regurgitate that unsubstantiated rhetoric incorrectly cited by the ESPN hit-piece. There is no "Ayton thing." Book's bribe, the Rawle eligibility issue, Miller's lack of institutional control, etc. are the issues facing AZ -- and AZ already self-sanctioned for a season, so it isn't like a death penalty is headed the program's way. Yes, Arizona will likely get hit with additional sanctions of some sort, but it isn't as if Arizona is dealing with significantly more than Louisville, Kansas, LSU, etc., yet the national sports media narrative acts as if Arizona is dealing with issues at another level. And that certainly played a part in destroying Miller's reputation.
BibbysTowelDude

I know I posted zilch the last two years but those who know my history, know I had a bromance with Zeke he was unaware of. Hahaha I love that kid.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Holy crap. I just realized that they only self imposed sanctions to prevent Miller from having success. Wow. Sabotaged by our own administration.

So jealous of Kansas right now.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

One more thing, the only way this timing makes any sense is if they want that Gonzaga guy and think he won't be available next year, so they jumped on it. In which case I'd expect them to announce that at the same time. Not this coaching search party crap.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:08 pm Holy crap. I just realized that they only self imposed sanctions to prevent Miller from having success. Wow. Sabotaged by our own administration.

Yep. That's exactly what happened. Miller was hamstrung by Robbins & Heeke since 2018. They probably expected Miller to resign -- not dig in and try to resurrect himself and the program. And that's exactly what Miller did. He had Arizona as a tourney team a year ago based on three great freshmen and nothing else. And another solid tournament team this year was just too much for Robbins to handle so he self-sanctioned all the while hiding the NOA. He's a spineless, fucking coward.

Does anyone think Tucson's crackerjack media will tackle that angle?
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

zonagrad wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 pm
azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:08 pm Holy crap. I just realized that they only self imposed sanctions to prevent Miller from having success. Wow. Sabotaged by our own administration.

Yep. That's exactly what happened. Miller was hamstrung by Robbins & Heeke since 2018. They probably expected Miller to resign -- not dig in and try to resurrect himself and the program. And that's exactly what Miller did. He had Arizona as a tourney team a year ago based on three great freshmen and nothing else. And another solid tournament team this year was just too much for Robbins to handle so he self-sanctioned all the while hiding the NOA. He's a spineless, fucking coward.

Does anyone think Tucson's crackerjack media will tackle that angle?
You're totally right. At this point if Miller did go to ASU I'd cheer for the scumDevils, I really would.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:10 pm One more thing, the only way this timing makes any sense is if they want that Gonzaga guy and think he won't be available next year, so they jumped on it. In which case I'd expect them to announce that at the same time. Not this coaching search party crap.
You can’t just fire and hire a guy in the world of collegiate Athletics. At least not in one day. If it’s not announced by Monday feel free to panic.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

In terms of sports, I thought I couldn’t be more down in the mouth thIs week after the women lost a natty by one after missing numerous open shots (including freethrows) , but Ricky Bobby and his puppet said, hold my beer. I just wish I could get out of my pledge to give money to the UofA AD. Thankfully, I’m only in for one more year, Then, my only commitment to this shittastic moron-fest will be season tickets to see WBB and the occasional baseball and softball game once we can have a beer again. I also wish I had vastly more priority points. I’ve made it no secret, I despise Robbins on a personal level. Heeke is just a twit.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

President Robbins:

1. Withheld the NOA, which allowed the media to speculate on the allegations on Miller.
2. Self-sanctioned when it was apparent Miller had put together a talented enough team to reach the NCAA tournament -- and had stabilized the roster for next year which is apparent in the early pre-season rankings.
3. Implies that an extension is likely (possibly leading Miller to believe he doesn't have to look elsewhere for a job)
3. Fires Miller for lack of success.

Wouldn't you just love to have a boss like that? What a backstabbing piece of shit.

I fully expect Sean Miller to take the high road if he ever addresses the media. That's just how he's wired and he has to think about future opportunities.

But Miller must be fucking pissed to no end about how this went down. He could've thrown his name in the ring for UNLV, Texas Tech, Boston College and perhaps a few other jobs.

Arizona waited until the last possible minute to fire Miller -- which fucks him. If Lloyd was the target all along -- they could've still parted ways with Miller back in early March and then waited to move.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If Miller could’ve gotten any of those jobs he would’ve taken them. He’s unhireable by any college at the moment.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Siempre Verde wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:28 pm
In terms of sports, I thought I couldn’t be more down in the mouth thIs week after the women lost a natty by one after missing numerous open shots (including freethrows) , but Ricky Bobby and his puppet said, hold my beer. I just wish I could get out of my pledge to give money to the UofA AD. Thankfully, I’m only in for one more year, Then, my only commitment to this shittastic moron-fest will be season tickets to see WBB and the occasional baseball and softball game once we can have a beer again. I also wish I had vastly more priority points. I’ve made it no secret, I despise Robbins on a personal level. Heeke is just a twit.
Pissed. There's such a double-standard in the world. Niya Butts had five straight losing seasons coaching the women and never finished higher than 11th in the Pac. Who tolerates that garbage?

Sean Miller gets stabbed in the back by his own administration. Fucking gutless.

Great teachable moment for my children. People can be terrible. Watch your back and be true to your word. You'll sleep better at night.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Look. I’m a Miller fan, but he knew he was fucked when the dude he shoulda fired got caught by the FBI. He was able to continue coaching that team and flamed out early in the NCAA.

He survived long enough to get a top class and underperformed and then covid hit—which probably saved his job as who is gonna fire someone in a pandemic?

Robbins gets a ton of shit for how this was handled, but sean knew his days were numbered unless he won games and went far in the tourney.

I believe it’s why he was fired now. The team was actually gonna return with a chance to be good next year. Robbins knows who he wanted, and that coach wasn’t reachable until he lost in the natty.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:34 pm If Miller could’ve gotten any of those jobs he would’ve taken them. He’s unhireable by any college at the moment.
I don't believe that. Bill Self just got a lifetime extension. Bruce Pearl, notorious for his NCAA violations, keeps getting hired. Houston was more than happy to take Sampson.

Miller also saw that he had a top 15-20 roster coming back. A chance at redemption. And maybe there was talk about an extension. That certainly seemed plausible up until this week. And why wouldn't it? Why wait all this time to finally fire him when it made most sense two years ago. And now that he finally got himself up and brushed himself off -- Robbins pulls the rug out on him.

Robbins was probably praying Miller would take another job elsewhere.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Fairly certain sean is done in college bball for a bit.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:34 pm If Miller could’ve gotten any of those jobs he would’ve taken them. He’s unhireable by any college at the moment.
I completely disagree. Hell Pitino is the dirtiest son-of-a-bitch to come down the pike and is years away from his greatest successes and he still found a taker.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:20 pm
I completely disagree. Hell Pitino is the dirtiest son-of-a-bitch to come down the pike and is years away from his greatest successes and he still found a taker.
I think the difference is the final fours and natty on the resume.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:28 pm
I think the difference is the final fours and natty on the resume.
And the more prominent resume (even if you include the 2 vacated final fours) is offset by the higher level of mendacity, general stupidity and moral depravity.
BibbysTowelDude

Miller will be back in the NCAA Tournament by 2024.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm Fairly certain sean is done in college bball for a bit.
Ouch.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

enfuego wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:42 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm Fairly certain sean is done in college bball for a bit.
Ouch.
Yeah it sucks.

Must feel good to go all in on self. Ballsy move, and I respect it. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm
Ouch.
Yeah it sucks.

Must feel good to go all in on self. Ballsy move, and I respect it. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Honestly I'm sure losing a coach once to UNC had something to do with it. They got scared and pulled the trigger. Good for Kansas. Self has the same amount of ships as Scott Drew.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

:D Maybe we can fire Heeke and have Cole Davis run the athletic dept for a couple of weeks! :mrgreen:
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I can only wish CSM the best in his future endeavors. I've supported him throughout. his tenure (with a moment of panic/doubt upon the first reporting of the "scandal"). I always appreciated his forthright interviews and appraisals of games. He gave em, as an Arizona fan many great seasons, and a few were disappointing - It's been a good run!

OTOH, I do not view the end of his tenure as a black/white event. I do think that CSM has to accept some responsibility for his plight. He has to accept some responsibility for the misdeeds of his assistants - Book almost certainly should have been let go earlier. The second violation, by Phelps, should have never even been considered by an assistant under strict supervision, as all should have been after Book's fuck-up.

And the allegation against the admin was specifically that they did not adequately oversee the coach's accountability. I recognize that that is a pretty tough duty in any top-level programs. Unfortunately, Lute couldn't be fully contained when he was slipping near the end of his tenure, also.

The admin screwed up when Lute was in decline (Kevin O'Neill!!), and while the ultimate justification for the outcome with CSM might be justified, the timing and particulars have been clumsy even in the most tolerant viewing.

We're all gonna (someday) see the outcomes of the allegations at both KU and the U of A. IMNSHO, by any reading, those are more serious, and better documented, in the KU case, and if the outcomes don't reflect that, there is no longer any reason to accept NCAA as a regulatory body. It looks to me like the KU admin is hedging its bets on Self (extending, with relatively painless buyout if push comes to shove), while U of A is taking preemptive action.

I hate to see CSM gone, but will continue to follow and support U of A BB....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
prh

Post by prh »

Sean will be able to coach if he wants. We are so close to this situation, but the national media that isn't obsessed with this, the popular view is that he won't be out of work for long.

Look at every coach from this thing, they're fine if they got institutional support. Sean will be fine if a university actually cares about their program.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 pm Look. I’m a Miller fan, but he knew he was fucked when the dude he shoulda fired got caught by the FBI. He was able to continue coaching that team and flamed out early in the NCAA.

He survived long enough to get a top class and underperformed and then covid hit—which probably saved his job as who is gonna fire someone in a pandemic?

Robbins gets a ton of shit for how this was handled, but sean knew his days were numbered unless he won games and went far in the tourney.

I believe it’s why he was fired now. The team was actually gonna return with a chance to be good next year. Robbins knows who he wanted, and that coach wasn’t reachable until he lost in the natty.
He was fired because he was not their hire in the first place. That is the bottom line. Knob slobbin' Robbins and his lap dog Heeke didn't want their time at Arizona to be tarnished by someone who was the center of a major scandal. They figured he would quit on his own as pressure mounted. They lied their collective asses off and threw false support behind him for 3+ years. You simply do not do that to people. If you have a problem with them or think that they do not fit into your vision of things any longer, you man up and shit can them right then and there. There shouldn't have been an ounce of hesitation by them when they first thought about it. The UofA's actions towards this situation were unethical and reprehensible. How can you defend someone lying to you for years?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Basketcats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:12 am
Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 pm Look. I’m a Miller fan, but he knew he was fucked when the dude he shoulda fired got caught by the FBI. He was able to continue coaching that team and flamed out early in the NCAA.

He was fired because he was not their hire in the first place. That is the bottom line. Knob slobbin' Robbins and his lap dog Heeke didn't want their time at Arizona to be tarnished by someone who was the center of a major scandal. They figured he would quit on his own as pressure mounted. They lied their collective asses off and threw false support behind him for 3+ years. You simply do not do that to people. If you have a problem with them or think that they do not fit into your vision of things any longer, you man up and shit can them right then and there. There shouldn't have been an ounce of hesitation by them when they first thought about it. The UofA's actions towards this situation were unethical and reprehensible. How can you defend someone lying to you for years?
Who said I’m defending Robbins?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Still pissed this morning.

I’ll say it again: Sean made some mistakes, but his treatment by administration yesterday was wrong. The window for firing him closed a long time ago, and it hadn’t reopened yet.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:14 am

Maybe I am misreading the bolded text. If so, I apologize. I am hyper-sensitive about all this stuff right now.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Basketcats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:59 am
Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:14 am

Maybe I am misreading the bolded text. If so, I apologize. I am hyper-sensitive about all this stuff right now.
No worries. Understandable

I’ll be more clear, fuck Robbins.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

cats101 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:52 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm
Ouch.
Yeah it sucks.

Honestly I'm sure losing a coach once to UNC had something to do with it. They got scared and pulled the trigger. Good for Kansas. Self has the same amount of ships as Scott Drew.
And Kansas could likely snag Scott Drew if the job opened up. Self isn’t so good that he needs to be placated at every turn. His unethical behavior is probably going to get the program nailed. Kansas forgot it is Kansas; a lot of high level coaches will want that gig.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

BibbysTowelDude wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:41 pm Miller will be back in the NCAA Tournament by 2024.
As an assistant coach??? Maybe.

Choo and Olsondogg are right, Miller is NOT going to be a head coach at a P5 school anytime soon. People on this board also forget that Pitino first had to leave the country and do a coaching gig in Greece before he was able to land his present position at a relatively small school..Iona.

Miller will have to follow a similar path.........NBA assistant, Euro club coach.....Let the NCAA mess blow over and then (perhaps) he can get a coaching gig at a smaller school in the US.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Sounds to me like with the football fiascos and paying for two consecutive buy-outs there, the administration couldn't afford Miller's buy-out early on, and they also didn't want the additional controversy and pay-out for a good replacement, who coincidentally wouldn't want to be left holding the bag while the NCAA dithered. So Miller got to serve the time in purgatory (and get well-paid for it), then they waited until Adia's run was complete so they wouldn't overshadow that. But the business of not meeting high standards is b.s. If they were going to fire Miller for the violations, the time for that was long ago. Same thing for not achieving much in post-season play. So they'll hire somebody who doesn't cost too much, and you typically get what you pay for. Consequently, I won't hold my breath expecting any "higher standards" in the won/lost department. Maybe it'll be a legacy with a legacy assistant coach or two, which I'd be skeptical about, but which would be a way to deflect an otherwise disappointing hire. Lloyd would be a better sell if Gonzaga hadn't gotten crushed by Baylor. The one thing I'm pretty sure about is that it won't be a "wow" hire by paying to uproot some big established head coach from a successful school as a guaranteed sure-thing. No Lute from Iowa or Miller from Xavier. So, that would tend to not look good for a Musselman from Arkansas, if he even qualifies at that level. And that means you're trading whatever disappointment Miller was down the stretch for fresh packaging and a honeymoon period, but a still uncertain future. The "be careful what you wish for" line seems appropriate.
ekat

Post by ekat »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:48 am
BibbysTowelDude wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:41 pm Miller will be back in the NCAA Tournament by 2024.

Choo and Olsondogg are right, Miller is NOT going to be a head coach at a P5 school anytime soon. People on this board also forget that Pitino first had to leave the country and do a coaching gig in Greece before he was able to land his present position at a relatively small school..Iona.

Miller will have to follow a similar path.........NBA assistant, Euro club coach.....Let the NCAA mess blow over and then (perhaps) he can get a coaching gig at a smaller school in the US.
People forget that Pitino was already on probation with the NCAA and had vacated wins (including2 Final Fours and a natty) due to providing hookers for recruits, not to mention his brief Scenes From an Italian Restaurant scandal BEFORE he personally was caught on tape and text discussing payments for Brian Bowen, who was ultimately deemed ineligible. Little bit more to rehab there in my personal opinion.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

My thoughts on what happened. Bobby Robbins is the Crime Boss of Arizona with Heeke as the underboss. Heeke is tired of Bobby calling all the shots and everyone thinking Heeke has no power. Heeke has to show all his soldiers that he actually can make decisions in the athletic department, so Heeke is like.....I have to do something extreme to show that I've still got it. He tells himself, if I want to be the boss, I have to do boss things. He's tired of Miller sticking around and proving that he can still be successful even after this scandal. Miller is about to ride out the worst of the storm and bring back a contending team, even with all the crap thrown at him. So he gets up Wednesday morning, walks into Bobby's office with cigar in hand and says "I'm gonna fire Sean Miller today". Heeke walks out, brings Sean in, and boom. Done deal.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Miller will follow the Sampson plan. Be an NBA assistant a few years, and then get offered a high, mid-major job to try and salvage his good name. Heck, Sampson is 65, and Miller could replace him in 3 or 4 years if/when Sampson retires. Would be a solid hire, and Houston has proven it can go to the Final Four.

As for us, who knows where we'll be in four or five years. Lloyd is an unknown quantity who has never run his own program. Could be great? Could bomb. Love Damon, but he has 1 winning record in 5 years. Would we consider him if he wasn't an alum?

Muss would be a great hire, but can we outbid an SEC school for his services? FU, Larry Scott. The SEC makes more money off their tv contract than any PAC-12 school can dream about.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

ekat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:56 am
dmjcat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:48 am

People forget that Pitino was already on probation with the NCAA and had vacated wins (including2 Final Fours and a natty) due to providing hookers for recruits, not to mention his brief Scenes From an Italian Restaurant scandal BEFORE he personally was caught on tape and text discussing payments for Brian Bowen, who was ultimately deemed ineligible. Little bit more to rehab there in my personal opinion.
But he is Italian.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Pitino isn’t facing a NCAA suspension, Sean is.