Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: Sean Miller

Post by pc in NM »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:43 pm Anyone have $3.5M laying around??

If you do you can buy Sean Millers house

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6015 ... 8168_zpid/
Wretched excess!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Canned enchilada sauce? How very disappointing.

House is a little underwhelming for that price. Along with I really hate TVs over fireplaces.

In truth, Lute had a much nicer house with great views.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Merkin wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:16 am Canned enchilada sauce? How very disappointing.

House is a little underwhelming for that price. Along with I really hate TVs over fireplaces.

In truth, Lute had a much nicer house with great views.
The indoor-outdoor space is awesome. The 19th century French like decor of the interior, not so much.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:48 pm Not enough wine on the rack for me.
Next.
I like the way you think, but ya gotta admit, it depends on which vintages are there. I'll say this much, I spend a lot of time slutting around on RE websites, and something you'll NEVER find is a home for sale in '22 that is materially no different than the price paid in '09. Coach wants out and he ain't interested in squeezing the market for all that it's worth.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

After looking at the pics of that place, I was surprised at the price, I thought it looked more like 5 , but I don't know anything. And I don't know what he paid for it.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It's so gaudy and like has olive garden vibes. Yeesh
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

He paid $3.25 million in 2009
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

In Tucson at least, I seem to find once a house is over a million dollars it is usually ugly as sin inside. Maybe I'm just a poor dullard though.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:03 pm After looking at the pics of that place, I was surprised at the price, I thought it looked more like 5 , but I don't know anything. And I don't know what he paid for it.
Right again. It's hard to find anything that hasn't increased in price by at least 50% since 2018.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:43 pm Anyone have $3.5M laying around??

If you do you can buy Sean Millers house

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6015 ... 8168_zpid/
If I had enough money to play La Paloma, I could hit one into his backyard.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Sounds like Brigger is staying with AZ but Ryan Anderson may be headed to Xavier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:07 pm It's so gaudy and like has olive garden vibes. Yeesh
I call that aesthetic, "pseudo-Mediterranean Country Crock".
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:51 pm
That's just really cool all the way around.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yep, whether you hate him or love him, that is all class.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

To me, it really shows that Miller really had his players' backs. Did right by them. Keeping BWill from playing more CBB has let him do better in the NBA.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:50 pm Yep, whether you hate him or love him, that is all class.
I am not sure how you could hate him? I still hate Robbins for not having the testicular fortitude that KU showed with Self. Yeah I am OK with Lloyd and think he will be great at AZ, but Miller is still the man. Fuck Robbins.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:52 pm To me, it really shows that Miller really had his players' backs. Did right by them. Keeping BWill from playing more CBB has let him do better in the NBA.
This one of those things I hated most about Robbins' firing of Miller. That he did it in part because he didn't like that Miller yelled at players or Miller's demeanor.

This is the latest of a ton of examples of how much loyalty between Miller and his players there was. Remember TJ being upset he couldn't get Miller to a Final Four? Or Parrom hugging Miller when he returned from the gunshot? Or the way the team reacted to the timeout vs UCLA in the 2017 Pac tourney?

Robbins never understood (IMO) that you can be a disciplinarian and push players hard and they'll love you for it. That sports isn't like being a heart surgeon where people have to kiss your ass. That a lot of the time, players want to be held accountable aggressively...even if they don't always realize it at the time.

Sorry, rant over. BWill getting a shot I never thought his knee would allow is awesome. He would have been fantastic here if it wasn't for the knee, and you can see it in his overcoming it to make the NBA. I'm glad that even if he didn't get his chance here, he can still live his dreams.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Miller also silently took the heat from fans and the press for what seemed like him booting BWill from the program for being injured when in reality he knew that he’d be jeopardizing BWill’s future pro prospects if he had kept him on the team and he re-injured that knee.

Miller needed Williams but he knew that Williams didn’t need another year of the wear and tear of college ball and instead needed that time to recover and get ready for the next step.

Sean Miller truly lived up to the ethos of A Player’s Program.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:18 am Miller also silently took the heat from fans and the press for what seemed like him booting BWill from the program for being injured when in reality he knew that he’d be jeopardizing BWill’s future pro prospects if he had kept him on the team and he re-injured that knee.

Miller needed Williams but he knew that Williams didn’t need another year of the wear and tear of college ball and instead needed that time to recover and get ready for the next step.

Sean Miller truly lived up to the ethos of A Player’s Program.
One thing I always gave Miller credit for is he truly put players first. He would tell players to enter the draft when it was in their best interest to do so, even when he could have won more games by persuading them to return.

He would build his players draft stock and not push them through injuries that could cripple their careers like you say. To me, that's what you want in a coach, not someone who will win games by breaking down players health or their future.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I sure like what I am reading on how Miller handled the B Williams situation.

My question is though, is this speculation? Reading the tea leaves or some inside info. I am so hoping the stuff I have read is rock solid because it points to the fact we had a great coach who is a great man
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

But he was too loyal to Book which brought a lot of unnecessary noise and turmoil to the program.

I love CSM and will never forget what he did for our program and how he represented our tradition and legacy. But he will always have to own up for that.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Yeah Book and his inflexibility on offensive/defensive philosophies were my only issues. Other than that I loved CSM and feel bad he came so close to a FF but never made it. Fuck that ref who called the charge on Nick against Wisky.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:00 am But he was too loyal to Book which brought a lot of unnecessary noise and turmoil to the program.

I love CSM and will never forget what he did for our program and how he represented our tradition and legacy. But he will always have to own up for that.
I'm a little more forgiving. First, you see players responding to Miller's loyalty...his biggest flaw with Book was showing Book that same loyalty. Is it really on Miller that Book ****ed a lot of people by getting greedy over 15k?

Then, the wire...I think it was genuinely a shock to everyone in CBB. The NCAA never would have caught Book, and everyone's mindset was you had to avoid the NCAA...and no one suspected a real investigative agency would get involved.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:41 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:00 am But he was too loyal to Book which brought a lot of unnecessary noise and turmoil to the program.

I'm a little more forgiving. First, you see players responding to Miller's loyalty...his biggest flaw with Book was showing Book that same loyalty. Is it really on Miller that Book ****ed a lot of people by getting greedy over 15k?

Then, the wire...I think it was genuinely a shock to everyone in CBB. The NCAA never would have caught Book, and everyone's mindset was you had to avoid the NCAA...and no one suspected a real investigative agency would get involved.
Loyalty is always a two-way street. Unfortunately Book’s had speed bumps and a dead end.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm just pissed off that basically everyone in Tucson still thinks Miller was a cheater who got caught.

Most recently, an Uber driver - clearly an Arizona fan - repeated it to me. He tried to defend his view when I went all Socrates on him, and my wife stepped in and vindicated the driver by telling him I'm closed-minded on this one and unable to see the evidence. Because, of course, everyone in Tucson must be right, and her husband watches just a little too much basketball to have any credibility on the matter.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I have only love for Sean Miller, and I'll be rooting for that guy's success for the rest of his career. Here's hoping we never have to play against him in the tournament, lol.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Best way to get back at those people would be to win a championship and hopefully that's soon.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KillerKlown wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:32 pm Best way to get back at those people would be to win a championship and hopefully that's soon.
If Miller wins a championship at Xavier, is it a "technical" championship for Arizona?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:41 pm
KillerKlown wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:32 pm Best way to get back at those people would be to win a championship and hopefully that's soon.
If Miller wins a championship at Xavier, is it a "technical" championship for Arizona?
It’s a very real GO FUCK YOURSELF to Booby Bobbins.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:40 amMost recently, an Uber driver - clearly an Arizona fan - repeated it to me. He tried to defend his view when I went all Socrates on him, and my wife stepped in and vindicated the driver by telling him I'm closed-minded on this one and unable to see the evidence. Because, of course, everyone in Tucson must be right, and her husband watches just a little too much basketball to have any credibility on the matter.
:lol: Careful which Uber drivers you talk hoops with. I got into it with mine about my extreme distrust with Book the weekend after the FBI news dropped. Turned out my driver was Brian Pedersen and he had to write his article on the whole ordeal that night.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

It pisses me off how Miller got treated by Dr. Bobby and his lap dog Heeke. Yes, Miller made the mistake of trusting Book. And Miller has paid dearly for his trust. But Miller deserved better. All Miller did was win a lot at Arizona, earn undying respect from his players, and help turn them into men, many of which are thriving in pro basketball.

It also pisses me off that the majority of the country see Miller has a cheater who paid DeAndre Ayton to come to Tucson, despite the only evidence being hearsay, and an error-filled article from ESPN. I'm convinced someone fed Schlabach some information hoping he could put 2 and 2 together and get 4. Instead, Schlabach got 3, and Miller paid the price. Remember, the info Schlabach had to go on was a sure-fire #1 pick who attended a basketball school got paid $100k to attend said school. Schlabach didn't look at his dates, and thought the info was about Ayton. But the error in the dates is important, especially since multiple articles about the #1 pick in next year's draft, who went to Duke, have been written and confirmed. The info Schlaback was fed fits Zion Williamson, and no need to fudge the dates.

Pisses me off that Coach K gets to ride off into the sunset as some sort of College Basketball deity, and nobody mentions the serious cheating allegations. But we get a self-imposed 1-year post season ban? Just isn't fair or right.

Sure, Miller's devotion to the pack-line D sometimes got on my nerves. So did problems with attacking a zone D. But Miller was showing signs of being flexible, hiring good assistants, and he still won. And won a lot. I too will be rooting for him at Xavier.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:15 pm It pisses me off how Miller got treated by Dr. Bobby and his lap dog Heeke. Yes, Miller made the mistake of trusting Book. And Miller has paid dearly for his trust. But Miller deserved better. All Miller did was win a lot at Arizona, earn undying respect from his players, and help turn them into men, many of which are thriving in pro basketball.

It also pisses me off that the majority of the country see Miller has a cheater who paid DeAndre Ayton to come to Tucson, despite the only evidence being hearsay, and an error-filled article from ESPN. I'm convinced someone fed Schlabach some information hoping he could put 2 and 2 together and get 4. Instead, Schlabach got 3, and Miller paid the price. Remember, the info Schlabach had to go on was a sure-fire #1 pick who attended a basketball school got paid $100k to attend said school. Schlabach didn't look at his dates, and thought the info was about Ayton. But the error in the dates is important, especially since multiple articles about the #1 pick in next year's draft, who went to Duke, have been written and confirmed. The info Schlaback was fed fits Zion Williamson, and no need to fudge the dates.

Pisses me off that Coach K gets to ride off into the sunset as some sort of College Basketball deity, and nobody mentions the serious cheating allegations. But we get a self-imposed 1-year post season ban? Just isn't fair or right.

Sure, Miller's devotion to the pack-line D sometimes got on my nerves. So did problems with attacking a zone D. But Miller was showing signs of being flexible, hiring good assistants, and he still won. And won a lot. I too will be rooting for him at Xavier.
This 💯! Very well-said AzCatFan2….I couldn’t agree more with all you said. BTFD.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

Not to beat a dead horse, but my recollection is that Brian Bowen (or perhaps Nasir Little) was more likely the subject of the call in which Dawkins discussed money with SM which Schlabach confabulated in his reporting that it was Ayton. Would be interested in seeing evidence and analysis suggesting it was Zion Williamson instead. No doubt there are a lot of issues with Duke's recruitment of Williamson but I don't remember that included Dawkins hawking him to SM for money.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Here's the Sporting News article with Zion getting $400k. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/new ... lpo9azk5lz

There are other articles if you Google it.

Remember, Schlabach was a year off, and had Ayton getting paid after he had already played at Arizona. Schlabach originally corrected the article claiming he got the year wrong originally. But then corrected his correction back to the original year.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

To be clear, I agreed with everything you posted above except tying in Zion Williamson to SM and Dawkins and the false Schlabach article that libeled SM, Ayton and the U of A -- I think one of the defense lawyers must have leaked to Schlabach that SM had a conversation on tape with Dawkins agreeing to pay for top recruit and Schlabach ran with the story and reported falsely that the player involved was Ayton and that SM said he would pay. While I don't want to defend Schlabach, he would not have run the story naming Miller if all he had was go on was someone told him that "a sure-fire #1 pick who attended a basketball school got paid $100k to attend said school." The source must have told him it was Miller on tape but Schlabach got the player wrong. Dawkins had strong ties with Bowen and from what I have seen it was most likely Bowen or perhaps Nasr that Dawkins was trying to sell to SM (and I believe SM when he said that he refused to pay). If there is an article about Dawkins and SM discussing Zion Williamson and or suggesting that was what Schlabach misreported as a conversation about Ayton, I have not seen it.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

There was never confirmation that whoever leaked the Ayton payment story to ESPN was connected to the Dawkins FBI scandal. Or the payments were part of the scandal in any way. Schlabach could have made those connections himself, and been 100% wrong.

As this SI article states, either the leak got information wrong on Ayton, or the story was written with incomplete information. https://www.si.com/college/2018/03/01/a ... spn-report

It's possible, especially given the dates, the leak was talking about Zion, and had no info on the FBI scandal at all. The SI article above also states the leak got the price tag wrong, which fits the $400k number from the first leak.

I have no evidence the leak was talking about Zion, and Schlabach made a wrong assumption, and thought it was about Ayton. But all the puzzle pieces fit. The dates. The 6 figures, and the surefire top NBA draft choice. The truth will likely never come out, and if it does, ESPN will bury it to cover Saint K. But in my world, 2+2=4.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Sean dedication to his players is unquestionable. TJ was not even invited to any NBA functions till Sean called personally to get him invited. The rest is history.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sure hope he finds peace and continued success at X. Will always be a huge fan of his
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Miller was most related when Arizona won the Pac-12 championship his second year (2010-11).

“I remember thinking, ‘Wow, this is awesome,’” said Miller. “That was the last party I ever had. Once we got past that first one, it was like, ‘Look, there is a bigger picture. When are we getting to the Final Four?’ And instead of that being helpful, I really think that sometimes, looking back, when that’s what is fueling you, there are a lot of moments you’re skipping over that you could have enjoyed. And if you had enjoyed them, maybe you would have been able to get there.”
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:48 am
Miller was most related when Arizona won the Pac-12 championship his second year (2010-11).

“I remember thinking, ‘Wow, this is awesome,’” said Miller. “That was the last party I ever had. Once we got past that first one, it was like, ‘Look, there is a bigger picture. When are we getting to the Final Four?’ And instead of that being helpful, I really think that sometimes, looking back, when that’s what is fueling you, there are a lot of moments you’re skipping over that you could have enjoyed. And if you had enjoyed them, maybe you would have been able to get there.”
Miller going deeply introspective and sharing that is really touching. Dammit, I love that dude.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Will always admire him and appreciate what he did for the program after Lute.

Will always think he got jacked and deserved better from the admin and esp the dunderheads at ESPiN.

Hope he gets his final 4. Of course not against us though, however fitting it may be.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:48 am

Honestly, as someone who lost myself, my fandom, my enjoyment in all of it, coming to a crashing halt where I quit sports cold Turkey Sept-February of last year, I understand fully what he’s saying.

We become so results based be can’t enjoy the journey. I have seen it so much on Twitter, Toxic Accomplishment Syndrome. It’s true of those competing, it’s true of those cheering.

Don’t ever like something so much you can’t enjoy it.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

That's too bad, this past Sept thru Feb, well maybe Nov thru Feb were some of the most enjoyable months of Arizona basketball I've experienced as an adult. But, it was also the time where I cared the least about if we won or not, new coach, big changes on team...

We just kept freaking winning and it was great!!!!!!

PS. Twitter is a black hole of sadness at its best when it is not actively tempting you to suicide.
-Norlander.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:33 am

"he seems happier”

Happy for Coach Miller. Glad he managed to land on his feet with a smile. ( after all the bulls...t questionable espin reporting)
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I hope at some point he comes back to Tucson with his team so the fans can give him the kind of send off he deserved.

He deserves to see how much all of the true fans feel about him and indirectly show him how we all feel he got royally screwed.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Even though he was given a shitty deal by ESPN, Robbins and Heeke, it was probably good he left. He got paid, and had a chance to relax for once in decades and rethink things.

I wish him nothing but the best, and hope he gets his FF at X, but it was really time for him to go. Just too much of a distraction for him, the school, and the fans.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm impressed by both his emotional and professional maturity. To give ESPN an interview ...... I wouldn't have been able to muster the requisite reflective distance. He was a bulldog, a passionate fighter who drew criticism from many directions. He came out of it in a healthy mental place. I'm proud for him.

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Luckily he has a team that could go a ways in the tourney. Hope he gets to the final four even if it means beating Ariz.