Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by 84Cat »

Who is Rob Lantz? Also some people in the media didn't like Lute either
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:45 am Well SCCats, you got what you wanted.

I hope it works out well for you.
I haven’t got what I wanted yet; what I want is for us to win.

And in that regard I hope it works out well for all of us.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I've not been the biggest miller fan around, but this is just colossally stupid.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:06 am Who is Rob Lantz? Also some people in the media didn't like Lute either
He used to host the afternoon show on 1290 with Kevin Woodman and pre and post game shows.

Scrolling through his timeline he's also a RWNJ like Woodman.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Life is a journey filled with lessons. I've learned from this: if you need a new windshield for your car, call a plumber.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Guess the UA scholarship limit issue won't be a problem now
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:08 am

We had a top-15 squad next year so excuse me if I call that total bullshit.

You wanted Miller fired. You got what you wanted. Own what comes next.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Lantz was phone screener at 1290 when Glen Parker had a talk show.
I think his dad was upper management or something like that
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

To the people who wanted Miller gone, be careful what you wish for. Miller was very successful at Arizona, and just because we have Arizona across the jersey, doesn't guarantee jack shit. See Indiana Basketball.

The timing is also sucks for assistant coaches and players. No consideration at all for their interests. Who knows who the new guy will bring in for assistants, and other assistant jobs have already been filled, which could mean our guys could be left out in the cold because we waited three weeks for the announcement. Same for the players, who may want to enter the portal because the don't want to play for the new guy. Transfer spots are already being filled and it's just not fair to make a change this late in the game.

But what does Robbins care? He's a bleeping meglomaniac narcissists, who only cares about himself. He got lucky, so far, with the Fisch hire, but if we go 2-10 this year, will anyone care about having Bruschi v. Gronk in the Spring Game? Nope. If the next basketball guy ends up more like the next Ben Lindsey versus the next Lute, then what?
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I'm all for this firing. I've always felt Sean was a personable nice guy in private, but having gone to about 4-5 UA games each season over the past decade, his dreadful offense actually made me start disliking basketball. It's become where it's even hard to watch us play. This is the fresh start I need to start going to UA basketball again. Tons of coaches willing to take over our program as we're coming out of the investigation, maybe one more year, but then it looks good. I actually like the Fisch hire, it was out of the box and has brought energy and enthusiasm and interest to the football program which hasn't had any since about the Iowa game under Stoops' tenure. So, I'll give the Heeke/Robbins duo a chance at the new hire.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 am

Whatever our preseason ranking was, our final RPI would’ve been five to ten spots below that ranking.

And own what comes next, lol. Indulge me: am I the President, AD, Coach or player so I can appropriately own my place??
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 am Guess the UA scholarship limit issue won't be a problem now
Of course this year there are 1000 kids in the transfer portal and the kids who thought they would be playing for Miller are getting in late. Plus our recruits.

Makes me wonder if ol’ Bob Bobbins didn’t think he could fuck more than a few of them over so they have to stay and the transition is easier.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Man, f*** this s***.

I'm done with Arizona Athletics.

I'll just say this. I told a friend today Arizona fans are spoiled and don't realize Lute and Miller were both well above the median for CBB coaches. I said I'm pretty sure the next few years will be an exercise in learning that fact.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:22 am

Whatever our preseason ranking was, our final RPI would’ve been five to ten spots below that ranking.

And own what comes next, lol. Indulge me: am I the President, AD, Coach or player so I can appropriately own my place??
With your prognostication powers that allow you to see how next year under Miller would have turned out ranking/RPI-wise I would figure that when you were calling for his firing you already know how this transition will go.

Oh were you planning on saying “this isn’t what I wanted” when we have a five year rebuild? Sorry buddy, but no.
ekat

Post by ekat »

I’ve already voiced how sick I am with all of this, so I’m going to change the tone a little.

My favorite Coach Sean Miller moments:

The “He touched the ball” press conference, when he looked at Solomon Hill and choked up and said “My man here is Never coming back”

Him huggingKevin Parrom after He played his first game coming back from getting shot.

The Epic, petty, nasty timeout against sUCLA to “check our poise”.

His press conference after Ira Lee’s DUI, where he wouldn’t address the DUI, all he would say was how Ira had been through a very tough time and he was going to make sure Ira was ok and got the help he needed.

Wins and losses were what they were. I loved the wins, I hated the losses, but that man cared for his players at a supreme level, and that I appreciate more than the almostFinal Fours.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:26 am
SCCats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:22 am

With your prognostication powers that allow you to see how next year under Miller would have turned out ranking/RPI-wise I would figure that when you were calling for his firing you already know how this transition will go.

Oh were you planning on saying “this isn’t what I wanted” when we have a five year rebuild? Sorry buddy, but no.
Ahh, so my role is message board nobody, just like everyone else.

Got it.

And no sorry buddy is necessary. I want change. I’m excited to see what direction it takes.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZ basketball is temporarily dead now. Unless the hire is somehow a home run, this automatically makes us worse for the entire foreseeable future.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hyperbole is my absolute favorite thing in the whole wide world.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Watch some east coast time hire Miller and ESPN falls in love with him. I hope it happens.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah Miller will be snapped up by some A-10 or similar level school within a week probably

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

If you need me, I'll just be refreshing the portal tracker waiting for the names of the guys I was so looking forward to see grow do so in other uniforms.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Sent president Bob some vitriol via email and voicemail. Fuck him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 am Guess the UA scholarship limit issue won't be a problem now
This should tell you a lot about what kind of a coach Miller was. His players were always on his side.

But when you've never played a game and think heart surgery means you know shit about basketball, what does success on the floor and player loyalty mean?
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Stuck with him through it all and then fired him now when no one will want to touch this program. Seems like a horrible decision, terrible timing, completely inconsistent messaging, just awful for the kids who came here in spite of the cloud over the program only to have post season bans and their coach fired.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I guess we should have seen this coming when Bobby didn't consult with Sean about the post season ban
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:35 am
This should tell you a lot about what kind of a coach Miller was. His players were always on his side.

But when you've never played a game and think heart surgery means you know shit about basketball, what does success on the floor and player loyalty mean?
Cincy’s coach didn’t have that issue. I hear he might be available soon.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 am Man, f*** this s***.

I'll just say this. I told a friend today Arizona fans are spoiled and don't realize Lute and Miller were both well above the median for CBB coaches. I said I'm pretty sure the next few years will be an exercise in learning that fact.
We've got some teams that are worthy of your fandom.
Softball, Women's BBall, Women's Soccer, etc.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Dealing with my UofA alum friends jubilant over Miller's firing is the absolute worst.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:40 am Dealing with my UofA alum friends jubilant over Miller's firing is the absolute worst.
Let's see how excited they are when the hire is made. Anyone who follows az basketball closely knows this entire situation is a mess.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

This team will split up immediately. Our recruits will be in high demand. You have a program that has been set back 5-8 years. The folks you should let know your financial support is gone are Judi Kessler, Marty Breslin and Victor Iniguez. These are the people I have dealt with in the past that gather funds for the athletic department. Although their involvement is usually at the mega level they deal with folks like me that will donate for things like benches on the quad (10K each) or other smaller donations.
I am heart broken. Sean has my respect and he has done everything he can to keep this program together during a time of uncertainty and stress. He will land on his feet we may not for a long period of time.
NorCalCat

Post by NorCalCat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 am AZ basketball is temporarily dead now. Unless the hire is somehow a home run, this automatically makes us worse for the entire foreseeable future.

Maybe I was spoiled by the Lute era, but it seems to me AZ BB has been "dead" for the better part of decade. Allegations notwithstanding, so much talent, so many middling finishes.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm sick over this completely asinine bullshit
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

cats101 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:42 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:40 am Dealing with my UofA alum friends jubilant over Miller's firing is the absolute worst.
Let's see how excited they are when the hire is made. Anyone who follows az basketball closely knows this entire situation is a mess.
Those same type of people are the ones who would be happy with Damon Stoudamire or Josh Pastner as the next coach, so I would assume they will still be excited.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Anyone celebrating this move is an idiot...no matter what there is still an investigation going on that will impact our program...no coach in his right mind would step into this program right now especially with Mad RoB Robbins micromanaging everything...Miller made the mess he should be made to clean it up, you want to can him make him clean up his mess first.

While it LOOKS like a fresh start it is anything but a fresh start...just because you toss the guacamole because its stale does not mean the avacados you have on the counter will make fresh stuff...we haven't even cut into them yet.

This is a level of "idiot" with no undo...

Jack Murphy will be our coach for the foreseeable future meaning the next 2-3 years.

No one else worth having will consider it.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It's gonna be special potentially witnessing our disgusted players transferring to other Pac-12 schools. Don't we need further torment? I know I do.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:08 am I've not been the biggest miller fan around, but this is just colossally stupid.
Somehow Kansas doesn't look as stupid as they did a few days ago.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Looks like ESPN gets the last laugh. Now they can make fun of how much we suck for the next 6-8 years. It's just disgusting.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

FUCK ROBBINS

FUCK HEEKE

FUCK the UA for the foreseeable future. It will feel strange rooting for the UA to lose every FB and mens Basketbal game, but there it is. I don't want anyone who has been hired by Robbins to succeed. I want them to fail miserably, to PROVE that Robbins is a fucking idiot.

Sean Miller, his coaches, and the players deserve so much better. I wish them great success elsewhere.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:39 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 am Man, f*** this s***.

We've got some teams that are worthy of your fandom.
Softball, Women's BBall, Women's Soccer, etc.
Yeah, but that would all indirectly support the leadership under Robbins. I feel bad, Barnes and the women were awesome this year, but I have no interest in supporting the current leadership with my eyes or $.

Hell, I have a lot of pre-purchased Arizona stuff I won't be wearing for a bit to let it collect dust in my closet.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

The team is pissed. Sounds like they're gone
I said what I said and I mean it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

84Cat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:38 am I guess we should have seen this coming when Bobby didn't consult with Sean about the post season ban
He wanted sean to quit then.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Basically at this point only the women's programs at the UA are worth supporting

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 am Stuck with him through it all and then fired him now when no one will want to touch this program. Seems like a horrible decision, terrible timing, completely inconsistent messaging, just awful for the kids who came here in spite of the cloud over the program only to have post season bans and their coach fired.
Agree completely on the terrible timing part.

I think people are going overboard with the "Program is screwed forever" sentiment.

The UA administration had ample reason to part ways with Miller, but the timing is terrible. If they wanted to remove him, it should have been done back in 2018. If they wanted to remove him now it should have been no earlier than AFTER the IARP hammer falls. If Robbins had whacked Miller in say November of this year following an IARP decision of two years post season sanctions, then at least we would still have the team intact and the coaching search would be much easier.

Now we have to search for a coach with a very large dark cloud (IARP) still hanging over the program. This may impact our ability to recruit a top notch coach.

So the way I see it, we lose: several players off a potentially good 2021-22 squad (I foresee the Transfer Portal lighting up) and the ability to attract the best coach available.

All that said I remain a Wildcat and I will cheer for the team and whomever the UA hires.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

This is a real sad day. The future is one thing. But just the fact that the school and the fans stuck by Miller through everything and for it to end like this?! With this timing?! When we finally had a solid returning core of talent that was going to grow together after 5-6 years of constant roster turnover? What the fuck.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

NorCalCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:44 am
ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 am AZ basketball is temporarily dead now. Unless the hire is somehow a home run, this automatically makes us worse for the entire foreseeable future.

Maybe I was spoiled by the Lute era, but it seems to me AZ BB has been "dead" for the better part of decade. Allegations notwithstanding, so much talent, so many middling finishes.
A decade is 10 years. In that 10 years we made 3 elite eights and 2 of those were within one possession of becoming final 4s. We are 6 years from that point now.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I really hope CSM gets his FF very soon.

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:47 am Looks like ESPN gets the last laugh. Now they can make fun of how much we suck for the next 6-8 years. It's just disgusting.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

This just shows that Miller was somewhat blindsided. We just land a transfer from EWU the other day, and then Miller gets canned. You think Robbins had the balls to tell Miller he was out after supporting him over the years. Just got stabbed in the back.

I bet Miller gets another job and then just goes on a mission to dominate.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

My best guess is Robbins did it to distract from his own negligence in the IARP investigation...but here's the thing...if he doesn't have a Ace to play in this hand the boosters will send him and Heeke to the unemployment line faster than Eegees melting in june...

One thing I've learned abut Tucson is you don't fuck with the basketball program and Robbins is right on the line here with NO ROOM FOR ERROR.