Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BigSkyCatinMT

Re: Sean Miller

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I see that our rotation has actually gotten shorter than last year. despite the supposed depth. Down to 6 players, as predicted.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

CBCat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Image

:lol:
I sometimes catch myself doing that when I see something tasty across the room.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:I see that our rotation has actually gotten shorter than last year. despite the supposed depth. Down to 6 players, as predicted.
Only when it's a close game. Hopefully by March the others will be more dependable in those situations.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:I see that our rotation has actually gotten shorter than last year. despite the supposed depth. Down to 6 players, as predicted.
I count 9 players getting minutes, 7 players getting 10+ in the UTEP game.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Chicat wrote:
I count 9 players getting minutes, 7 players getting 10+ in the UTEP game.

I'll give you that, but barely. When I first saw the box score, different numbers. 3 for Ristic, 5 for PJC, and a squeaky 10 for Pitts fur to foul trouble = same ole...
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Today's press conference starting very soon, for those interested: http://pac-12.com/videos/university-arizona
Formerly McLurvin
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

TheBlackLodge wrote:Today's press conference starting very soon, for those interested: http://pac-12.com/videos/university-arizona
Anything good? Missed it
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I think this is my new favorite Miller quote. :lol:
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I think CSM is a great coach but his lineup to end the game was stupid! That said its just a game and I am beyond glad CSM is our coach
Machina

Post by Machina »

3goggles wrote:I think CSM is a great coach but his lineup to end the game was stupid! That said its just a game and I am beyond glad CSM is our coach
Timing of time outs has been questionable.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

3goggles wrote:I think CSM is a great coach but his lineup to end the game was stupid! That said its just a game and I am beyond glad CSM is our coach
First, I agree that the small lineup was a rather bad decision, among other bad decisions.

Second, I'm tired of seeing things like "beyond glad CSM is our coach" or "wouldn't have any other coach". Coach has been here long enough that the fans should feel ok with leveling some criticism at him without having to couch their statements with platitudes. Not necessarily picking on you 3goggles, just your post reminded me of how often I hear/see it and it's getting annoying.
Last edited by PieceOfMeat on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shpelling
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

BeetzyB

Post by BeetzyB »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
First, I agree that the small lineup was a rather bad decision, among other bad decisions.

Second, I'm tired of seeing things like "beyond glad CSM is our coach" or "wouldn't have any other coach". Coach has been here long enough that the fans should feel ok with leveling some criticism at him without having to couch heir statements with platitudes. Not necessarily picking on you 3goggles, just your post reminded me of how often I hear/see it and it's getting annoying.

Couldn't agree more. I feel like we're at that point where this is all we're gonna get from Miller, good teams here and there....just "knocking on the door". I understand we 14-2 but it is what it is.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I didn't like it, but then again our bigs played like they were 6'4 tonight anyway, so I don't think it mattered
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Has he explained the reasoning behind going small at the end? At the very least couldn't he have done defensive substitutions and put Zeus in just to get a big body in the lane to prevent the drive?
Machina

Post by Machina »

billk78 wrote:Has he explained the reasoning behind going small at the end? At the very least couldn't he have done defensive substitutions and put Zeus in just to get a big body in the lane to prevent the drive?
Can't sub as easily when you dont have time outs at the end
billk78

Post by billk78 »

rgdeuce wrote:I didn't like it, but then again our bigs played like they were 6'4 tonight anyway, so I don't think it mattered
But on defense it does. Zeus just needs to stand there and he changes the way teams attack the basket. His mere presence alone (even on off nights) can stop penetration to the bucket....and that's how Oregon State scored their last few points.
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

Second, I'm tired of seeing things like "beyond glad CSM is our coach" or "wouldn't have any other coach". Coach has been here long enough that the fans should feel ok with leveling some criticism at him without having to couch heir statements with platitudes. Not necessarily picking on you 3goggles, just your post reminded me of how often I hear/see it and it's getting annoying.
Agree wholeheartedly with this.

He can be criticized.

I don't understand or I'm at a lost as to why a team with this roster doesn't want as many possessions as possible. There's no pressure brought for sustained periods and it's puzzling. We actually have depth this year.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Machina wrote:
billk78 wrote:Has he explained the reasoning behind going small at the end? At the very least couldn't he have done defensive substitutions and put Zeus in just to get a big body in the lane to prevent the drive?
True. I just want to know the reasoning behind it. I think you need a big man in to stop the drive.
cats101

Re: Sean Mille

Post by cats101 »

Bull fuckin shit.

Sean Milller is never going to make a final b4
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

For better or worse, Miller is a slave to KenPom.
Machina

Post by Machina »

CalStateTempe wrote:For better or worse, Miller is a slave to KenPom.
How so?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Coach better get the stomach meds ready. This season is gonna put the pressure on the stomach. I can only imagine what the pressure will be like next year if he doesn't get far in the tourney this year
etank34

Post by etank34 »

This team was not ready to play tonight and that is on Coach Miller.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I think he's done all he can to preach toughness to Zeus and Bash... And I think he reached the end of his rope tonight. It seemed pretty clear to me he was sending a message to both of them that if you cannot play tougher than over-matched opponenets, you are going to sit your a$$ on the bench when the game is in the line. And if we lose, so be it.

In the grand scheme, this loss was hardly season-ending. But if some things don't change in a hurry, we're not going to realize our potential. Tonight we lost a battle but we can still win the war.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:
Hey Rain Man, we heard you the first time.

He was not subbing in even if he had a TO to use. Would having one available have been nice? Yup... I wish we had one at the end of the Fiesta Bowl, too. How about you?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Katzenfreund wrote:Miller should consider hiring better offensive assistants. Shooting, playing against various defensive schemes as well as utilizing our physical advantages leaves a lot to be desired. As long as he can't figure out how to consistently maximize our talent on both ends of the floor, the Elite Eight will be his ceiling.
This.

Sean Miller is an excellent recruiter and an excellent defensive coach. But he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag on the offensive end.

Passing the ball around the perimeter......and I'm not just talking about tonights game, is not an offense.

When we hired RRod in football we essentially adopted Oregons style of play offensively. I wish we could do the same in basketball without losing Sean. Altmans offense is heads and tails better than ours.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

Seems like Damon would have some idea of good offense. Don't know about any of the other coaches. Is Miller the only one with any input?

edit: clarified the other coaches referenced were AZ assistants.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Machina wrote:
Hey Rain Man, we heard you the first time.

He was not subbing in even if he had a TO to use. Would having one available have been nice? Yup... I wish we had one at the end of the Fiesta Bowl, too. How about you?
You sure about that? You sure he would not have subbed if he had a time out? Remember the Florida game? Other than your obsession with me and some stupid idea in your head that you think you have any idea what you are talking about, not sure what the Fiesta Bowl has to do with Miller not having a time out. Hell yeah I wish there was one more TO at the end of the fiesta bowl, but since RR didn't have one to use at the end of that game it is okay Miller didn't tonight?
BeetzyB

Post by BeetzyB »

dmjcat wrote:
Katzenfreund wrote:Miller should consider hiring better offensive assistants. Shooting, playing against various defensive schemes as well as utilizing our physical advantages leaves a lot to be desired. As long as he can't figure out how to consistently maximize our talent on both ends of the floor, the Elite Eight will be his ceiling.
This.

Sean Miller is an excellent recruiter and an excellent defensive coach. But he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag on the offensive end.

Passing the ball around the perimeter......and I'm not just talking about tonights game, is not an offense.

When we hired RRod in football we essentially adopted Oregons style of play offensively. I wish we could do the same in basketball without losing Sean. Altmans offense is heads and tails better than ours.
Agreed. got to get some ideas/ offensive schemes going. I mean even talking to Kerr a little bit, something.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Katzenfreund wrote:Miller should consider hiring better offensive assistants.
I agree. Hiring recruiters without XO guys can only go so far.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

These posts would not exist if McConnell shot and hit that 3 in the last seconds.

This was a tough road game, sunday night, after many days in Oregon. We just didn't have the "it" from the beginning, and OSU was playing like it was their NC game.

It happens, when they come to McKale, the outcome will be completely different. It's just one game.

Last year was our year to win it all, but this year can be too if we learn from these close losses. Note, we haven't been blown out, ala Duke yesterday at NC State. Chillax all.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

0-2 when Ristic and PJC are benched for the entire 2H
Salty

Post by Salty »

I think Sean Miller is doing an excellent job and most posters here simply have too high of expectations.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dmjcat wrote:
This.

You are definitely entitled to an opinion...and since you don't like the offense that Miller runs, what exactly do you think he should run? How would the offense improve if it was a different system than the motion? What are your solutions?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Machina wrote:Other than your obsession with me and some stupid idea in your head that you think you have any idea what you are talking about
The mirror that is your posting history begs to differ with the implication that you have more of an idea of what you are talking about ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Is there any precedent of being very disciplined on defense, but loosey goosey on offense?
drallafi

Post by drallafi »

dmjcat wrote:

To be fair, if Elliot Pitts hit even one of his many wide open missed three's, this game probably ends differently.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Paul Westhead is available for consulting - now that would be interesting, a Miller Defense with a Westhead Offense.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

KaibabKat wrote:Paul Westhead is available for consulting - now that would be interesting, a Miller Defense with a Westhead Offense.
Lute Olson must be cringing watching the games. Didn't one of his teams lead the nation in scoring one year?
Machina

Post by Machina »

Merkin wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Paul Westhead is available for consulting - now that would be interesting, a Miller Defense with a Westhead Offense.
Lute Olson must be cringing watching the games. Didn't one of his teams lead the nation in scoring one year?
Not sure, but I know the Cats have lead the nation in FT% in the past
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
This.

You are definitely entitled to an opinion...and since you don't like the offense that Miller runs, what exactly do you think he should run? How would the offense improve if it was a different system than the motion? What are your solutions?
Odogg:

I would run a high post motion offense. That may sound like an odd-offense as its primarily intended for small teams without a dominant post player.....but in my opinion we don't have a dominant post player (Sorry Tarc). If you have seen what Oregon runs (high post motion) then you know what I mean.

There are drawbacks to running this offense:

1) It requires significantly more energy on the offensive end (Miller would have to use more bench)
2) RHJ doesn't have the ball handling skills one would like in a small forward
3) This type of offense can be more turnover prone

I believe that the positives (more scoring, wearing down the opponent) would out-weigh the negatives
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Merkin wrote:
Yep - two of them in fact.
2002-03 = 85.2 ppg
2003-04 = 87.6 ppg

1997-98 = 90.8 ppg = highest scoring Arizona team but only 3rd in the nation that year.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Bosy Billups wrote:These posts would not exist if McConnell shot and hit that 3 in the last seconds.

This was a tough road game, sunday night, after many days in Oregon. We just didn't have the "it" from the beginning, and OSU was playing like it was their NC game.

It happens, when they come to McKale, the outcome will be completely different. It's just one game.

Last year was our year to win it all, but this year can be too if we learn from these close losses. Note, we haven't been blown out, ala Duke yesterday at NC State. Chillax all.
lol

comparing NC State and Oregon State.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Not sure, but I know the Cats have lead the nation in FT% in the past
I wonder how we ranked nationally in '96-'97 when we won it all... Must have been terrific, we had great coaching then, obviously.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

KaibabKat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Yep - two of them in fact.
2002-03 = 85.2 ppg
2003-04 = 87.6 ppg

1997-98 = 90.8 ppg = highest scoring Arizona team but only 3rd in the nation that year.
Makes sense... 3 of our 4 Final 4 appearances.

Oops....
gumby

Post by gumby »

The 03-04 team was one of Lute's worst. First round exit. NC team shot it worse from the line than this team. Westhead offense predicated on matador defense. Wouldn't work.

Game's changed. Won't be averagiing 85+ again. Few teams will.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Top scoring teams

BYU, Davidson, Central Michigan, Iona, Incarnate Word, VMI, Arkansas, Duke.

Top scoring Top 10 teams: Duke, Gonzaga, Utah, Arizona (75.1). Yes, six teams ahead of us scoring less. Wonder if they're searching for offensive coordinators.

FG percentage among Top 10 teams (with national ranking).

Gonzaga, 2
Duke, 5
Utah, 7
Arizona (14)
Wisconsin (20). You know, the San Antonio Spurs of college ball.

Where is Kentucky? How can they possibly get to a FF while trailing that offensive Neanderthal Sean Miller? Are there other areas of basketball, perhaps. Like rebounding and shutdown defense?

Thiis is like the football board where 90 percent of posts are about the offense when we lose. The worst offensive team in the conference shot 64 percent in the second half and got to the line 17 times. It's a problem. Hold them to a still bad 50 percent and we win pretty comfortably.
Right where I want to be.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Gumby's been on fire the last two nights.

Which is odd, since I don't see him or Pokey melting.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!