Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Sean Miller

Post by dmjcat »

This part of the Miller article has me a bit concerned:

"Arizona's case is under review by the Independent Resolution Panel (IRP) of the Independent Accountability Resolution Process (IARP). Sources told CBS Sports resolution on Arizona's case is expected by the end of December, and if not then, January at the latest"

God I hope the NCAA sleazeballs don't sanction us 2 months out of the tournament. I would put nothing past the NCAA.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I love Coach Miller! Truly a class, class act.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We all love CTL but we will have to wait to see if he can have a better record to 400 wins then Sean. Sean was the third fastest behind Lute and Hec and ahead of coach Wooden. That is the success we all are hoping for with CTL. It is clear in that article that he had a rough experience with our own administration. Not all boats rowing in the same direction. He is better for leaving, better perspective, different philosophy, hopeful. I hope he has a great season and gets his own players in the coming years.

I will always be a big Sean fan.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'll always have love for Coach Miller. Class act. He's going to do very well with Xavier.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Xavier was up by 30 early in the second half. Stopped watching that game then.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

84Cat wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:03 pm What a class act
Yep, class act for sure. Glad he's happier now.

Sean Miller opens up about leaving Arizona, says program is in a ‘better place’ without him
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ion-xavier
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I heart CSM.

Not even shocked to hear those comments because he's always been a huge proponent of the Arizona brand & legacy, not to mention such a class act. Never makes excuses, never seems to be bitter (except maybe "he touched the ball").

I am now a huge X fan and my hope is that he has a lot of success.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Miller ever gets to a FF, he'll have a LOT of AZ fans rooting for him. That is, provided he's not coaching against AZ, lol.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Nice to hear Few tell Miller Good to have you back!

They always seemed to get along in all their battles. I always respected Miller for playing home and home with Zags.

Good Luck Coach Miller!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We still owe them a home game.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:02 pm I actually enjoy listening to Bilas but I'm always ready to trash him given the slightest provocation.
His “more fouls” mantra has made him much less likable as an announcer to me. He always seems like a douche of a person.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:44 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:02 pm I actually enjoy listening to Bilas but I'm always ready to trash him given the slightest provocation.
His “more fouls” mantra has made him much less likable as an announcer to me. He always seems like a douche of a person.
He went to law school at Duke. What did you expect?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

That whole basketball ESPN group is a POS. I hope Vitale get to visit Jimmy V soon. Miller was never even charged with what they reported on yet it is the narrative that will be around Arizona forever. F them all.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Sean and Xavier just beat Huggins and West Virginia at home. Hard fought game. I just saw a graphic that said the next 4 X games are on FS1. Where the hell our are games?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Are you not seeing the constant promos for the Indiana game on Fox next Saturday???
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I am seeing the promos for that game. Have we had 5 in a row on national TV that were not part of a tourney? Just seemed weird that 5 games (not counting their tournament) were going to be on TV.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

You consider FS1 national TV?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Let's just say you can get it on Direct TV.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

TheCat wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:41 pm We all love CTL but we will have to wait to see if he can have a better record to 400 wins then Sean. Sean was the third fastest behind Lute and Hec and ahead of coach Wooden. That is the success we all are hoping for with CTL. It is clear in that article that he had a rough experience with our own administration. Not all boats rowing in the same direction. He is better for leaving, better perspective, different philosophy, hopeful. I hope he has a great season and gets his own players in the coming years.

I will always be a big Sean fan.
I get what you are saying and I agree with all except the love part. I won't play politically and appease the Tommy Lloyd groupies just yet. CSM got a raw deal and as a fan it still stings. Still not sold until he has a complete recruiting class under his belt and they achieve the same results as the class he was handed.
Last edited by Basketcats on Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

TheCat wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:41 pm We all love CTL but we will have to wait to see if he can have a better record to 400 wins then Sean. Sean was the third fastest behind Lute and Hec and ahead of coach Wooden. That is the success we all are hoping for with CTL.
Final four appearances was the benchmark that was set by Lute. And it's a mark that Sean failed to measure up to even once, despite always having top 10 recruiting classes. If TL can start getting us back to FF appearances soon, nobody's going to give two wet farts about whether or not he can beat Sean to 400 wins.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well I was trying to give him a equal measuring stick but if you say final four or nothing I'm all for it. You have a timeframe in mind or just your lifetime?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Millers team playing their rival Cincinnati on the road and kicking a$$, up 34-19. Of note Nally who hit like 8 three balls against us and kept it close, hasn’t scored
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Zip 'em up, Sean!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Gets a win in his first trip back to the rivalry. X fans have to be very happy right now
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... izona-case

Cleared of allegations, no penalty assigned to Sean.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Go kick some ass at X CSM! You deserve it for the shit you had to endure.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Sean certainly deserves a lot of apologies from everyone at ESPN
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:22 am Sean certainly deserves a lot of apologies from everyone at ESPN
and won't get a single one.

The story they posted on this just buried a paragraph at the end quoting Sean's presser saying he never knowingly violated any NCAA rule, then matter-of-fact note the 2018 report on Ayton. Nothing further.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:26 pm I can’t help but feel like there’s no way that Miller talked openly about paying players and said when it came to money to only deal with him.

Maybe it’s crazy wishful thinking, but I can’t imagine him being that stupid.

Don’t get me wrong. I believe we pay for players. I just think we’d try to hide it at least a little.
And this prescient post in the minutes after the story hit in 2018 should win the award for Best Post Ever. Logical thinking in the face of the ESPN report. For my issues with Scheer, this is the same "this seems too crazy to be true" energy he used to launch his deep dive into the allegations, the best work he has done in this space.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think the fact that Sean got another job AT HIS FORMER INSTITUTION is extremely telling. The Xavier AD had (and still has) a lot at stake in hiring someone painted by national media as a cheater. Sean is, nor has ever been, a cheater, and I hope today's news gives him a little more peace about all of this.

Schlabach and Bilas are cowards if they don't apologize.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Ha this was a very confusing notification to get this afternoon. I wrote that post more than four and a half years ago!
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Vitale will not be free from cancer till he makes amends and apologizes. He has a choice, apologize or join his buddy Jimmy V. Fuck him and everything he did even a year later to reinforce ESPN's narrative. He is a piece of shit along with his ESPN buddies.

Have they condemned Texas's coach and said he should never be allowed to coach again? No. Let the abuser and alcoholic be around athletes.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

EVCat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:59 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:26 pm I can’t help but feel like there’s no way that Miller talked openly about paying players and said when it came to money to only deal with him.

Maybe it’s crazy wishful thinking, but I can’t imagine him being that stupid.

Don’t get me wrong. I believe we pay for players. I just think we’d try to hide it at least a little.
And this prescient post in the minutes after the story hit in 2018 should win the award for Best Post Ever. Logical thinking in the face of the ESPN report. For my issues with Scheer, this is the same "this seems too crazy to be true" energy he used to launch his deep dive into the allegations, the best work he has done in this space.
Not sure how anyone could believe Miller would be so stupid to talk on the phone about paying recruits to shady characters he barely knew. But of course that’s exactly what the media ran with because it got clicks and views.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The investigators said, ""The record is really replete in terms of the actions the former coach took to ensure his staff and players understood the importance of compliance," Welch said on a Zoom call after the IARP's ruling on Wednesday. "Nearly all of the actions these two assistant coaches took were covert. ... With respect to [Richardson], they were criminal. In our view, these kinds of actions could not have been detected by the head coach."
Fuck you ESPN.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

It makes me really happy to see CSM vindicated. Finally!
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

The official NCAA tournament record for Arizona under Sean Miller:

2009-2019 - DNP
2010-2011 - 3-1
2011-2012 - 0-1 (NIT)
2012-2013 - 2-1
2013-2014 - 3-1
2014-2015 - 3-1
2015-2016 - 0-1
2016-2017 - vacated
2017-2018 - vacated
2019-2020 - cancelled
2020-2021 - banned
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:39 pm It makes me really happy to see CSM vindicated. Finally!
And this is what some dumb ass from Yahoo Sports wrote, "A conversation between Miller and former agent Christian Dawkins — another central figure in the corruption trial — about a $100,000 payment for DeAndre Ayton to sign with Arizona was captured on wiretap".

You think anyone would say he wasn't involved if any of that was true. ESPN screwed up his life and the piece of shit Vitale doubles down.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:32 pm The investigators said, ""The record is really replete in terms of the actions the former coach took to ensure his staff and players understood the importance of compliance," Welch said on a Zoom call after the IARP's ruling on Wednesday. "Nearly all of the actions these two assistant coaches took were covert. ... With respect to [Richardson], they were criminal. In our view, these kinds of actions could not have been detected by the head coach."
Fuck you ESPN.
This is EXACTLY what i have been saying...the institutional control piece is supposed to be based on the head coach seeing fruits of assistants/boosters malfeasance and ignoring them. Neither of these violations helped the program in anyway. How would Sean know?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Most folks don't even know that and think it was a recruiting incentive.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Sean has always said he'd have plenty to say once this was over. But i feel like he might just let this speak for itself. He wasn't found not guilty...he was flat out exonerated. I do hope he, at least, blisters ESPN. I know it is hard to go after ESPN as a D1 coach, especially legally, but I hope he releases a statement and reads it with that Sean Miller "I am smiling but I am about to gut you" look.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:32 pm The investigators said, ""The record is really replete in terms of the actions the former coach took to ensure his staff and players understood the importance of compliance," Welch said on a Zoom call after the IARP's ruling on Wednesday. "Nearly all of the actions these two assistant coaches took were covert. ... With respect to [Richardson], they were criminal. In our view, these kinds of actions could not have been detected by the head coach."
Fuck you ESPN.
Wow

Fuck everyone who dragged his name through the mud.

And I’m still seeing it now. The man was completely exonerated and there are still morons crying about how he “got away with it”. Fucking pieces of shit. They just want to tear the man down.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm not sure if I'm more pissed at the media figures who participated in character assassination against Miller or at the so-called Arizona "fans" who persist in their animosity towards Miller even as it's become clear he did nothing wrong.

Bottom line, guys: we had a heck of a coach and person in Sean Miller. He had great success with this program, and his record is indisputable. We are INCREDIBLY lucky to have now seemingly hired yet another good person/coach in Tommy Lloyd because this could've gone south very quickly. If we'd hired the wrong guy as the new permanent coach, there's no way we have the kind of season we did last year.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Still giving Hurley an L.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Sean and CTL giving the hurley's a L on the same day. There is a god.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I consider Miller a top 10 coach, wherever he's coaching. But count me among those who did not see him making Xavier into a national contender in his first year back with that program. If he wins a league title and/or gets deep in the tourney, he deserves strong national COY consideration. The guy just wins wherever he is.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I hope he does get X to a final 4, just not in the west. And I hope he gives ESPN the biggest cold shoulder ever.

Too bad he didn't get hired at an acc school then we could see him blow off the ESPN pundits at least once a week.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Xavier with another big win. Sean should be in the early running for COY, but I doubt the media would give it to him.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner