How to Fix College Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BBQ wildcat

How to Fix College Basketball

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Not "fix" games, fix the CBB problem. I thought this was a great article by Dan Wetzel.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/how-colleg ... 06821.html
azcat49

Re: How to Fix College Basketball

Post by azcat49 »

Kind of like college baseball as well where when they hit their Jr year they can get drafted and even negotiate with a club but can still some bavk for their Sr year up to the first day of classes in the fall. The way they do this now has to be changed
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nice easy simple fix.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I think college basketball and college football should do like UMC. You ever to to UMC? Even before it was Banner. It was some independent company. The University didn't bill you, University Physicians did and the hospital did too. But still they get to have the A logo on their letterhead and shit like that.

Mens college basketball and football should be independent corporations that license the logo and fightsong and mascot from the University. Make it some sort of a partnership so you don't get Duke Blue Devils of Los Angeles or UCLA Bruins of Las Vegas and shit like that. Keep the tradition. But pay the players. No one loses a scholarship if they're working as a resident at UMC. They don't get kicked out of med school if they happen to collect a paycheck during their residency. So why should football and basketball be any different?

Just make it a pro sport with a college attached and move on. I took a paid internship my junior year and didn't lose any credits. The college of science encouraged it. Why is it different for people majoring in basketball. And hell, make that a major. Teach them PR and finance and brand building and other shit. Put it in the Eller college of business.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

This is exactly what I've been saying for the last 5ish years. Have a cash cow corporation (this is late stage capitalism after all right??) that just licenses the university's image and facilities or whatever from them. Drop the entire bullshit guise of amateurism and academics.